new to river cruising - need ship advice

jstroose1

We have cruised in Europe several times on Regent, Silverseas, Crystal - this time we would like to explore smaller towns - particularly in France if possible and are considering a river cruise.

My husband absolutely won't consider it without a real balcony which eliminates many ships and itineraries. Can anyone recommend a ship/and/or line that you think provides the most luxurious experience with a balcony - preferably in France. We are also considering Portugal/Spain. My travel agent loves Tauck but their ships only have French balconies and that won't work.

We went on the Amacerto on the Danube last year and they had rooms with both a real balcony and a french balcony in the same room. It was lovely. Several of their ships have the same arrangement. I thought the service was excellent and the food was great. River cruises have more limited menus than traditional cruise ships. I would sail with them again.

As all the river cruise companies send their older boats to France if you wish to cruise on either the Seine or Rhone rivers on a boat that has real balconies then I suspect your choice will be limited to just one company - Scenic. Enjoy your cruise.

We are sailing the Seine in July this year with Scenic's new ship MS Scenic Gem all cabins apart from aquarium class have balconies you can even close them if the weather is inclement, there are only 129 passengers. All cabins have butler service all excursions are included so are all beverages plus a mini bar in every cabin unless you want any laundry done you don't need your wallet on board. The ship actually moors in Honfluer I don't think many other companies do that. This will be our third cruise with Scenic and so far they have been absolutely fantastic, they surpass their brochure.

Edited by Canal archive
Missed a word

Wow you sound really cheesed off about that, it has only happened to us once on each of our cruises each time during the day when we were of for walking tours each time by the time we returned the other ship had gone. I would have thought it would be the same though if you had windows or French balconies at least with a full balcony the boat you are breasted up with is further away.

and LOVED it.Yes, we did dock up next to others for short time.Not overnite,so able to enjoy it.

But taking Scenic this yr.Looked at brochure and seemed to have best of both worlds.Very similar to Regent(luxury,with all inclusive).

Even has cabins with tub,room service, free transfer to ship,and on and on. about Tauck,would try as soon as they get full,not FRENCH balcony.

Know its a deal breaker for me too.

BUt those would be the closest to top end on river lines,IMO.

We have just returned from Viking's Portraits of Southern France itinerary. We had a veranda cabin, and, perhaps because it was early in the season, did not experience any double-docking. The ship, the Hermod, was on its inaugural passenger sailing and is a lovely ship. The veranda was small, but had two chairs and a small table, and we did enjoy sitting out there as we cruised a few afternoons.

Becki

They might be very nice people on the balcony of the next ship. You could have a drink together. :)

You are my kind of folk!! I would gladly share a drink with you!

The double-docking may be an incumberance to some, but I think it would be nice to be able to look around at another companies ship....and to possibly make new friends. Life is too short to worry about the small stuff!

You are my kind of folk!! I would gladly share a drink with you!

The double-docking may be an incumberance to some, but I think it would be nice to be able to look around at another companies ship....and to possibly make new friends. Life is too short to worry about the small stuff!

The reason I mentioned it, is that new RC's might have NO idea of the routine. Same with going through the locks. As the OP's dh is adamant of having a veranda, he needs to be informed that maybe once or twice he won't be able to use it. I think if you are prepared it is less bothersome than being shocked.

The same goes for the River level stuff. I had no idea to even think about it before I started planning here on CC last year. Now, I know that this year, the river levels probably won't be a problem but I am already ok with the idea if I need to take a bus I will, if the river warrants it. That is the nature of RC.

I agree with Got2cruise. We had some double-docking on our first RC. We had a French balcony then, so not such a big deal. But some of the posts regarding double-docking and the inability to "enjoy" one's balcony have been quite, um, passionate. So, better to understand the big picture and what that may mean for you.

Becki

This is just my personal opinion, so I hope other river cruisers will feel free to disagree, but ...

One of the differences between river cruising and ocean cruising is that the small size of the ships, and the small size of most cabins, means this is not the ideal style of travel for those who want to be alone much of the time. Balconies are all well and good, but the top deck is the best place to be for scenic cruising. Tables for 2 are not that plentiful at dinner. River cruising is best if you get out and mingle with your fellow passengers.

This is just my personal opinion, so I hope other river cruisers will feel free to disagree, but ...

One of the differences between river cruising and ocean cruising is that the small size of the ships, and the small size of most cabins, means this is not the ideal style of travel for those who want to be alone much of the time. Balconies are all well and good, but the top deck is the best place to be for scenic cruising. Tables for 2 are not that plentiful at dinner. River cruising is best if you get out and mingle with your fellow passengers.

Very good point. Plus on some lines there are NO tables for 2.

My wife and I are taking a our first river cruise in July with Uniworld. The cabin and ship were very important to me when doing my research. I settled on the SS Antoinette from Uniworld which was built in 2011. The suite has a unique feature in that it has a window on the walkout balcony that can be lowered and raised with a button thus making the balcony usable in inclimate weather. There is a tv and upholstered furniture on the balcony. In addition the window in front of the bed is a french balcony as well.

A sister ship known as the SS Catherine took its inaugural cruise this month and his sailing in France. I believe you would find the same balconies on it as well. CC highly leans toward AMA and Tauck as far as luxury cruises as far as I can tell but in my research I found Uniworld to be right there with them and the newer ships are pretty amazing.

I'm sure you will be happy with any of these mentioned in this thread but thought I would give you another option

Just to note that Scenic has balconies on all but the small number of cabins on the lowest deck and that all balconies have the facility of enclosure in case of inclement weather. It looks like only 6 suites on the Uniworld ships have full balconies. Their ships do look well presented if a little fussy for my taste.