Cruiselines of choice for the affluent: Article

C 2 C

I am not surprised really that more people are traveling on mass market and deluxe brands. The larger ships have more berths, so more people traveling on them. Plus, some, but not all, with money like to keep it by not traveling on the most expensive luxury ships.

I think people with money would tend not to travel or mingle with the common masses on cruise ships. Look at all of those yatches sitting in the bays or those lavish summer homes on many of the islands that sit empty for months. That is where the wealthy spend their play time. They will then have their own chef, butler, bartender, and not have to stand in a line at the buffet or dine at the mercy of what is offered in a specialty restuarant, or put up with the other inconveinances of being with 1000 to 4000 other passengers.

.🍸🚢

I think people with money would tend not to travel or mingle with the common masses on cruise ships. Look at all of those yatches sitting in the bays or those lavish summer homes on many of the islands that sit empty for months. That is where the wealthy spend their play time. They will then have their own chef, butler, bartender, and not have to stand in a line at the buffet or dine at the mercy of what is offered in a specialty restuarant, or put up with the other inconveinances of being with 1000 to 4000 other passengers.

.🍸🚢

I think you're right.

The article doesn't define affluent. Who is affluent? People who earn $100K, $200K, $250K a year? They're probably the ones cruising mainstream lines (probably in suites). But truly affluent people, they're the ones on their own yachts!

Sorry, but I can't picture a Bill Gates type on a Carnival ship, not even in the nicest suite.

I've often wondered who books the $15,000+ suites on Celebrity or Royal. I think if I had that much money to spend on a week's vacation, I wouldn't be on a mainstream cruise line...but that's just me! :)

I think you're right.

The article doesn't define affluent. Who is affluent? People who earn $100K, $200K, $250K a year? They're probably the ones cruising mainstream lines (probably in suites). But truly affluent people, they're the ones on their own yachts!

The article clearly defines who they queried as "affluent":

The Spring 2014 Affluent Market Tracking Study #25, the latest in a series of twice-yearly surveys, is based on a national sample of 330 men and women who have an average annual household income of $268,000, an average primary residence value of $1.1m, an average net worth of $3.1m and average investable assets of $1.5m.

This survey only further confirms what we've known for years, so ably reported in the Millionaire Next Door that those who have it are very often not likely to blow it on fluff.

I think you're right.

The 11.4m households represented by the survey have a minimum net worth of $800,000 and an average income of over $260,000 and thus can easily afford premium and luxury brand cruises and top accommodations on the contemporary cruise lines, according to AARC president Ron Kurtz.

The article does define affluent for the study, it does not refer to the ultra rich..

who of course have a lifestyle different from the cruising public.

minimum net worth of $800,000 and an average income of over $260,000

A professional couple in their 40s would fits into this category. However most people who earn their income (as opposed to getting it from investments) would not call themselves rich. Most of their net worth is tied up in 401Ks and real estate. Hence, I am not surprised at all at the results of the survey.

No doubt Bayley is relieved his ships made 4th place.

It's time for a suite giveaway to attract more affluent cruisers.

Recently, he's turned some away.

"If you don't like the Celebrity experience, try another cruise line," is a repeated verse on this message board.

Celebrity reads the message boards but does not appear to follow up on this board. Why not?

jls

Edited by JLSPOOL

And If you believe Carnival is preferred by the affluent I have some great real estate to sell you in Florida's everglade................:)

We fit the criteria for the survey and we enjoy sailing on Carnival, Celebrity, and Royal Caribbean. Our children are grown so that's not really a factor. Sometimes we decide which cruise line to sail based on the itinerary, sometimes the departure port. We are easy going travelers and find things to enjoy on all of our vacations. We cruise four or five times a year, so I guess we switch up the cruise lines to keep it fresh.

And If you believe Carnival is preferred by the affluent I have some great real estate to sell you in Florida's everglade................:)

Their definition of affluent is not very sound. For the reasons outlined in my post above, people on the lower spectrum of their definition, especially those with kids, will choose Carnival because of its affordability. It is a fiscally responsible thing to do for those who try to save for retirement, kids college (50K per year is an average price tag now) and rainy day.

Edited by DrLookGood

Taking into account the relative number of ships/available berths in the fleets of the different companies mentioned, I think Celebrity did exceptionally well in the poll. :cool:

Comparing the number of dollars allocated to advertising by the different cruise lines mentioned, makes the poll results even MORE impressive for Celebrity.

Edited by teecee60

I've often wondered who books the $15,000+ suites on Celebrity or Royal. I think if I had that much money to spend on a week's vacation, I wouldn't be on a mainstream cruise line...but that's just me! :)

Perhaps we prefer the product Celebrity provides and now they have addressed the issue of suite perks we are really happy.

There is a big difference in what folks say due to brand recognition and what they do when they talk to a travel agent about actually booking a cruise. One also has to compare empty nesters vs those with children at home who would have quite different needs, wants and expectations.

So if money was no object, which cruise line would you pick?

A poll of affluent cruisers mentioned: (spoiler alert Celebrity is 4th choice)

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/which-brands-do-us-affluent-cruise-with-most-answer-may-surprise.html

According to the article only 330 in the US were surveyed. IMHO, the survey wasn't broad enough to be credible.

How many Disney cruisers are also going to the Theme parks @approx. $400 a day admission for a family of 4, plus airfare, hotel, food, and misc. That spells affluence to me.

In addition Celebrity cruisers may not be counted as "affluent" but take more back to back cruises to places all over the world.

Read quoted insert below taken from the article.

"The Spring 2014 Affluent Market Tracking Study #25, the latest in a series of twice-yearly surveys, is based on a national sample of 330 men and women who have an average annual household income of $268,000, an average primary residence value of $1.1m, an average net worth of $3.1m and average investable assets of $1.5m"

Edited by PinotBlanc

Both my wife and I (early 40s) fall would fall within the definition of affluent for purposes of this article. Although we make good money, we are happy with the product that Celebrity provides. It meets all our needs and our 6 year old loves the cruise line. At this time, our family on a luxury cruise line is not a good fit.

We rather take the money saved from traveling on a luxury cruise line and use a portion for it as fun money for the trip. The remainder of the money saved is applied to daily expense, 401k, 529 etc.

Although some might find this hard to believe, making 250k a year does not go very far if you live in places like NYC, DC or San Francisco.

I'm sorry, but I can't see a hugely affluent couple choosing Carnival unless they have kids. Carnival obviously has its clientele, but I just can't see people who live in million dollar houses booking Carnival or NCL.

You would be SO wrong.

We've done about 20 Celebrity cruises and about an equal amount of NCL and Carnival combined. Factoring out short cruises (7 days or less) I have to tell you you would have a pretty difficult time determining the demographics you would find.

I'm sorry, but I can't see a hugely affluent couple choosing Carnival unless they have kids. Carnival obviously has its clientele, but I just can't see people who live in million dollar houses booking Carnival or NCL.

There is a world of difference between NCL and Carnival. I'm guessing you haven't sailed on either.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

Yes, we have sailed on both (CCL 6X and NCL 3X) and find Carnival to be a "bit" better than NCL, but in our opinion, which we are entitled to have, regardless of what some of on this board may feel, I just can't see the super affluent choosing either of those two lines. In all reality, I would like to know who, exactly, they surveyed for this column. Seeing how lines like Carnival/NCL/RCI have so many more berths to fill, when compared to the likes of Regent/Azamara/Oceania, I have to wonder who they submitted this survey to and if the results are influenced by the fact that so many more people cruise the mega lines as compared to the numbers on the small ship lines. I just can't put much credence into this survey without knowing the complete numbers involved. Who was surveyed, what was their income, what were their ages, did they have young children, what cruise lines have they sailed on, etc.

Edited by cruisead

Really funny! We also would fall within the definition of affluent for purposes of this article and will never consider cruising with Carnival. We mostly cruise with RCCL, Celebrity and Disney and have tried the suite life in NCL, which btw, it is a really excellent experience. I'm the daughter of college professors and learned a long time ago that money doesn't give you class or education. Most of the smartest people I know are not affluent. And some of the most affluent people I also know are the opposite and feel more comfortable cruising mainstream. When I started cruising with my children I never imagined that Celebrity will become our first choice when cruising. We are D+ in RCCL and even our children are in love with Celebrity now. Looking forward to enjoy our RS on the Reflection in July.:):)

The results of so-called surveys like this are meaningless, due to the numbers effect.

For example, if you asked X number of people who makes the best hamburgers, I guarantee McDonalds would be most often mentioned and thus would "win." This in spite of the fact that nobody who is serious about good food would believe that those are the best burgers. Why does this happen? Because there are thousands of MacDonalds locations serving hundreds of millions of customers, while places that actually serve quality burgers typically have only one or a few locations and serve maybe hundreds of customers. Thus, among those you ask in your survey, many will say McD or another big chain for whatever reason, and when you total it up that outweighs the number of people who mention the single-location places who actually do have the best.

Same thing happens, in this case, with cruise lines. There are probably a 1000 people who have sailed on Celebrity for every 5 or 10 who has sailed on, say, Crystal or any of the truly lux lines. X is somewhere in the middle. When you do a non-scientific survey like this one, even if it was limited to "affluent" respondents, what you mostly get is a ranking of the size of the lines. It means nothing. Pay no attention.

Edited by jan-n-john

Really funny! We also would fall within the definition of affluent for purposes of this article and will never consider cruising with Carnival. We mostly cruise with RCCL, Celebrity and Disney and have tried the suite life in NCL, which btw, it is a really excellent experience. I'm the daughter of college professors and learned a long time ago that money doesn't give you class or education. Most of the smartest people I know are not affluent. And some of the most affluent people I also know are the opposite and feel more comfortable cruising mainstream. When I started cruising with my children I never imagined that Celebrity will become our first choice when cruising. We are D+ in RCCL and even our children are in love with Celebrity now. Looking forward to enjoy our RS on the Reflection in July.:):)

I agree with you all the way, good points.

Cruising is the Spice in my life!