Norwegian Jade

PKFA

This is my first time with Norwegian and would like to know does anyone actually wear a dinner suit or is it entirely freestyle? Are lounge suits worn at dinner in any restaurants? and finally how free is freestyle? Thank you in advance.

This is my first time with Norwegian and would like to know does anyone actually wear a dinner suit or is it entirely freestyle? Are lounge suits worn at dinner in any restaurants? and finally how free is freestyle? Thank you in advance.

Well...if you'd like to wear a dinner suit (tuxedo for Americans) you are more than welcome to, but you will be a minority. You won't even see many sports jackets/blazers on a Norwegian cruise. It is entirely up to you, but it is a casual cruise line. Denim can be worn in any restaurant for dinner, shorts will be allowed in the less formal dining room for dinner. You don't even need to pack a necktie!

If you are booking a specialty restaurant, you might see better dressed, i.e. chinos/wash pants and a shirt with a collar and maybe a sports jacket. If you want to save space in your luggage just pack a pair of pants and a polo type shirt and you'll have carte blanche in any venue on board. ;)

Well...if you'd like to wear a dinner suit (tuxedo for Americans) you are more than welcome to, but you will be a minority. You won't even see many sports jackets/blazers on a Norwegian cruise. It is entirely up to you, but it is a casual cruise line. Denim can be worn in any restaurant for dinner, shorts will be allowed in the less formal dining room for dinner. You don't even need to pack a necktie!

If you are booking a specialty restaurant, you might see better dressed, i.e. chinos/wash pants and a shirt with a collar and maybe a sports jacket. If you want to save space in your luggage just pack a pair of pants and a polo type shirt and you'll have carte blanche in any venue on board. ;)

Thank you most appreciated.

We were on jade in the Med in August and it was VERY casual, bordering on the scruffy - even in the main dining room people rolled up looking as if they had just been dragged through a hedge backwards!

My daughter and I dressed up but most times were the only people to do so.

It may be different in the Caribbean but the Europeans (minus the Brits!) definitely did not dress up in any way.

• 4 months later...

Common question. If you search on dress or dress code you will see that nobody is playing a joke. Also,on the NCL website they outline dress code.

No suite or dresses every required. I have not take even a sportcoat on the past dozen cruises. I do wear nice pants and shirt though to dinner.

By the way, you will notice that most posts try to put part of the question in the title - for future reference.

Edited by garycarla

My husband and I only cruise with NCL, and since we never dress up very much at home we actually take the opportunity to dress up on a couple of nights during a cruise - he in a suit and tie and I in a cocktail dress. And we feel great doing it. And we also feel great the next night, when we just have on a nice pair of jeans and a nice t-shirt.

What is great about NCL is that it is entirely up to you - enjoy your cruise!

Here is what NCL states about dress codes on their webpage:

http://www.ncl.com/faq#packing

Edited by TrumpyNor

Hi. We have been on ncl jade twice now and p&o about 10 times.

We love to dress up for the evening on p&o, me in long / cocktail dresses and husband in dinner jacket/ suits .

but on ncl i just took nice dresses and nice pants and shirts for husband.we find the ship more like a holiday than a cruise. Some dress up other don't. It's a nice change not having to pack his dinner suit as it takes so much room in the suitcase.

Best thing to do its just take normal holiday wear that you would wear in a nice 4/5 star hotel .

Enjoy.

We are sailing the Jade next year and daughters plan on dressing up for dinner. I may or may not depending on luggage space. We sailed the Pearl twice in Alaska and both trips there was a wide mix of dress. Shorts were not allowed in the main dining room or in Le Bistro. Other dining venues did allow shorts however it was rare to see them in any dining venue.

We saw a wide variety of dress. Some men wore suits and ties, only a few tuxes, some ladies wore formal dresses (the kind with sequins) but most wore casual clothes or smart casual to dinner and around the ship.

My daughter was a little frustrated prior to the cruise trying to figure out what to wear. I tried to explain that she would not feel out of place in whatever she chose. She felt silly wearing a fancy dress to dinner when I was only wearing nice pants and sweater, but once we arrived to our meal she understood that it truly is freestyle and she did not feel out of place dressed up nor did the people dressed down.

NCL's freestyle dress code is ingenious and seems to work very well in satisfying most everyone's cruise style.

I did not see slobs at dinner or around the ship.

That is why we chose NCL for or next cruise, tired of packing fancy clothes. Doing carry on bags this time for our 14 days cruise.

CT

Me too. 14 days and two small suitcases. I travel now with a 20" bag. This covers a 7 day trip.

This is my first time with Norwegian and would like to know does anyone actually wear a dinner suit or is it entirely freestyle?

It is entirely freestyle, but that doesn't means that nobody will wear a dinner suit.

Freestyle doesn't mean scruffy, it means you can wear what you want (within reason). Lots of people choose to dress up a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is entirely freestyle, but that doesn't means that nobody will wear a dinner suit.

Freestyle doesn't mean scruffy, it means you can wear what you want (within reason). Lots of people choose to dress up a bit.

I agree. DH wears long pants (chino) and collared shirt in the evenings and it's capris and nice top for me. I wear Grandco sandals (google it) - very comfy, yet fancy.