Just off Royal Princess 4/13-4/20

GottaLuvCruising

Thank you for your review. I am still amazed that they take a band like the Beatle Maniacs, with their huge audience draw, and put them in the Piazza, of all places, where most people have to stand to hear them, and only a fraction of those that fit in the Vista Lounge (non-useable seating aside) or the Princess Theater can even do that. What is the sense in that? If they are worth hearing (and they are), have them do a second show where the most people can hear it. If they only have 5 minutes of entertainment (as most of the Piazza entertainers have), don't spend the money to hire them and fly them to the ship.

This kind of silliness about the Piazza entertainment makes me crazy.

Most of those people standing were "twisting and shouting", which can't be done in a seat. I thought that was a great place for the second Beatle Maniacs show.

regarding the elevators: They really are too small for this ship. Most of the time you will feel like a sardine. I felt very sorry for the people in wheelchairs, and walkers etc. as they were squashed the hardest. Many of us learned quickly to get in any elevator that says up or down, just to be in it in the first place. Very often, the elevators will arrive completely full-- even if you wait for the next one it could be full as well. This really is a design flaw for this ship.

I had my usual mid ship cabin, on Riviera deck. I did not find it a big deal to walk to the aft or forward elevators or steps. (3 minute walk) I learned quickly that to go to Princess Theater, Retreat Pool area, to walk to forward elevators as they were the only elevators to go to this deck in that area. But that was no big deal.

If this ship had the itinerary and price that I wanted, I would go on it again-

But I would not pay for the Sanctuary again or the Enclave. The shading on this ship is very poor as people reported. People did sneak into sanctuary- which made us feel like "chumps" for paying for it in the first place. Also my dh found the Enclave a pain in the you know what, as he likes to use gym first and then do a steam and sauna routine. On this ship, they are on different levels, which does not make sense. The therapy pool is boiling hot, which doesn't work for me. (Hotter than Jacuzzis) I would not use this ship for the pools (tiny) and it was so crowded on the loungers around the pools. The retreat pool area was very windy most of the time as well.

I agree completely about the elevators, sardines and getting into any elevator with room regardless of where its going! This was our greatest frustration as so many times we needed to be just a deck or two down and wanted to use the crew stairwell to just freakin' get there! (At least one other guest did just that!)

I forgot to mention the layout of the Horizon Court which we LOVED! So much better / easier than the grand class.

I'm beginning my quest now for our next Princess cruise and the Royal won't be on the top of my list. If we do book her again, we'll do a forward stateroom to avoid midship elevators and sooty aft balconies. Both issues need to be addressed.

Most of those people standing were "twisting and shouting", which can't be done in a seat. I thought that was a great place for the second Beatle Maniacs show.

I've attended at least fifteen Beatle Maniacs shows in the Princess Theater where 2700 people over three shows were able to stand to Twist and Shout. Somehow I don't think 2700 people were dancing in the Piazza, which is my point. This is some of the best entertainment Princess currently offers; why limit it to those who can stand in the Piazza?

I agree completely about the elevators, sardines and getting into any elevator with room regardless of where its going! This was our greatest frustration as so many times we needed to be just a deck or two down and wanted to use the crew stairwell to just freakin' get there! (At least one other guest did just that!)

I forgot to mention the layout of the Horizon Court which we LOVED! So much better / easier than the grand class.

I'm beginning my quest now for our next Princess cruise and the Royal won't be on the top of my list. If we do book her again, we'll do a forward stateroom to avoid midship elevators and sooty aft balconies. Both issues need to be addressed.

Being near the forward elevators is the place to be, IMHO. Keep in mind that most of the front of the ship for the first maybe nine floors or so is taken up by the Princess theater...far less cabins in the front of the ship!

It was about a year ago, several months before the Royal began sailing, that I started a thread about the "No Central Staircase" potentially being a real issue on this ship.. You would have thought I was condemning someone's firstborn.. the way certain people reacted.. Anyway I'm glad I was the first to alert people about this.. So many have thanked me because they were then able to change their stateroom to a less-affected location and/or were happy that they at least knew about it.. As soon as the ship began sailing and the reviews poured in, the midship elevators/lack of central staircase was the number one issue on this ship...even if the review itself was a generally positive one.

Flash forward a year later, and this apparently is still a very big issue - as you mentioned, a very popular topic of conversation.. Makes me wonder all the more why so many were vocally upset at me for bringing this up - stating that my predictions were ridiculous and unfounded, and that this elevators/staircase issue would not affect anybody one bit.. Well I guess some "I told you so"s are in order. (but only SOME... most people "got it" then, and still do). :rolleyes:

I've attended at least fifteen Beatle Maniacs shows in the Princess Theater where 2700 people over three shows were able to stand to Twist and Shout. Somehow I don't think 2700 people were dancing in the Piazza, which is my point. This is some of the best entertainment Princess currently offers; why limit it to those who can stand in the Piazza?

They don't. They do three shows in the Princess theater for the 2700 or more people and one 11:00 pm show in the Piazza for those still awake and in a party mood.:D

But really, what would be the issue with fixing up the existing midship stairway...aside from expense. Seems to be an easy fix. The stairs are already there.

I suggested this on my Princess survey. We used them during the drill and they are finished already on 5,6 &7. Dress up the walls and install carpeting and they will be good to go. That would eliminate some complaints. We never had a problem using the mid elevators all week however. The Grand has survived all these years without the center stairs open to the public.

The Grand has survived all these years without the center stairs open to the public.

Yes, but when I have been on the Grand, I have been very annoyed at the time wasted waiting for an elevator to just go up/down one deck.

Would I avoid the Grand or the Royal because of this? No. But it does affect my onboard experience if I end up with a cabin near the center elvators.

I have not been on the Royal yet, but if it is true* that these elevators are smaller than on the Grand class while having up to a 1000 more passengers than the early Grand class ships, no good can come out of that design feature.

(*Based on numerous posts about elevator size by those who have been on the Royal, I believe this to be factual, but some have suggested until I sail on the Royal myself I cannot post reliably on the subject of anything Royal.)

Yes, but when I have been on the Grand, I have been very annoyed at the time wasted waiting for an elevator to just go up/down one deck.

Would I avoid the Grand or the Royal because of this? No. But it does affect my onboard experience if I end up with a cabin near the center elvators.

I have not been on the Royal yet, but if it is true* that these elevators are smaller than on the Grand class while having up to a 1000 more passengers than the early Grand class ships, no good can come out of that design feature.

(*Based on numerous posts about elevator size by those who have been on the Royal, I believe this to be factual, but some have suggested until I sail on the Royal myself I cannot post reliably on the subject of anything Royal.)

I'll back you up! :D;) They are smaller by about 3 people. Their actual rating of 18 for the main elevators and 13 for the 2 glass elevators is ridiculous.

I would estimate 12 people tops in the main and 10 in the glass would be more feasible.

That said, people need to understand how they operate, how to call them, how to be patient and not freak out when they stop full. When the car leaves full, press the call button again and another will come. We did this many times on our Royal cruise as we had a mid-ship cabin. We never waited the reported 10 to 20 minutes to get an elevator! I don't think we ever waited a whole minute for another elevator.

You also should be aware that the elevators don't work on an open sesame cause I am here premise. I have watched people walk into the lobby and be instantly annoyed because the elevator wasn't on the floor they were. Patience is not a strong suit of the average elevator user.

Lastly, don't be annoyed when someone else gets on the elevator. Smile and say hello! Make room. Don't be a space hog.:D

I'll back you up! :D;) They are smaller by about 3 people. Their actual rating of 18 for the main elevators and 13 for the 2 glass elevators is ridiculous.

I would estimate 12 people tops in the main and 10 in the glass would be more feasible.

I think that is the rating for elevators on the Grand class. However, the elevator usually exceeded the weight limit (and so indicated) before anywhere near that number could fit in.

Thank you for your review. I am still amazed that they take a band like the Beatle Maniacs, with their huge audience draw, and put them in the Piazza, of all places, where most people have to stand to hear them, and only a fraction of those that fit in the Vista Lounge (non-useable seating aside) or the Princess Theater can even do that. What is the sense in that? If they are worth hearing (and they are), have them do a second show where the most people can hear it..

This kind of silliness about the Piazza entertainment makes me crazy.

HI,

we saw the Beatle Maniacs in the theater, then made sure for their next appearance we were on the lower level of the Piazza.

The floor was packed with all of us dancing! (another perspective, I thought it made sense to provide a place for dancing for their encore performance). Everyone I could see seemed to enjoy themselves in the Piazza area during their performance.

By the way, I really enjoyed your blog! You have such a gift for having us feel like we are traveling along on your adventure. Thanks for the enjoyment!

HI,

we saw the Beatle Maniacs in the theater, then made sure for their next appearance we were on the lower level of the Piazza.

The floor was packed with all of us dancing! (another perspective, I thought it made sense to provide a place for dancing for their encore performance). Everyone I could see seemed to enjoy themselves in the Piazza area during their performance.

By the way, I really enjoyed your blog! You have such a gift for having us feel like we are traveling along on your adventure. Thanks for the enjoyment!

Thank you! :) Three years ago, the Beatle Maniacs did both nights of shows in the Princess Theater. Then two years ago they had them start doing their second show in Club Fusion (on the Emerald Princess) to allow for dancing, although it meant far fewer people could actually hear the show. So Princess has been following this trend for awhile now; obviously it's here to stay. As I say, they don't ask my opinion on these things. :p

Thanks for your well thought out and well written review of the Royal. Sorry you could not find shade, sounds like it was harder on your cruise than ours. Particularly interested in finding out why you all stayed in St. Thomas until 9:30 PM and how many power disruptions your experienced during the cruise. Was any thing said by crew regarding these issues officially?

We may or may not cruise the Royal again, I guess if the price and itinerary are right we would, but thinking of trying another line for a cruise or two.

Welcome back!

Ken

I, too, was on this cruise during the same time period. The only power glitch we experienced was the morning we were in St. Thomas and it blipped on and off a few times around 9:30 or so in the morning. Not sure if there were more than that.

Thanks for the thorough review. Very helpful information. What is the supposed "obstruction" of the balcony? The blocked ability to look down due to the lifeboats?

I'm waiting for pictures from my husband and they will clarify. We are in the lifeboat area and we'd look down onto one of the smaller ones. But even then it was only a partial obstruction with a view also of the Promenade and water. Looking straight out was no obstruction at all. The next few staterooms forward of us had no obstruction at all and are on the "bump out" with slightly larger balconies.

I'm waiting for pictures from my husband and they will clarify. We are in the lifeboat area and we'd look down onto one of the smaller ones. But even then it was only a partial obstruction with a view also of the Promenade and water. Looking straight out was no obstruction at all. The next few staterooms forward of us had no obstruction at all and are on the "bump out" with slightly larger balconies.

Thanks for the explanation. (And I look forward to the photos). I guess they have to call the view "obstructed" lest someone who really wants to look straight down at the water be surprised by their inability to do so, and then they would rate the ship with 1*. ;)

We were on this same cruise. I think the reason we were in St Thomas until 9:30 was this. There were 3 ships in port that day. Because we showed up first we had to wait until the other two left to give us room to move out of port. I think that maybe that was the reason.

I agree with the problems with the production shows. Way too short only 30 minutes. Did not like the computer generated backdrops they dance to. Especially did not like the bright flashing strobe lights. I had to shut my eyes a few times because of the bright glare. The dancers and singers were good. But I prefer the other type of backdrops. Also other styles of shows.

Beatlemanics were beyond fantastic!! It lasted an hour. I remember it lasting longer on the Crown. But still very very good!!

The design of the theater was poor. No holders for drinks. The two side rows of 12 chairs could only be entered on one side. So the side next to the wall did not get used. If a person came for a seat then all of the row had to stand up to let them in. Very poor design! We came to the first showing and always found a seat in the back on deck 7.

We had second dining in the Alegro Dining Room. Very strange getting to this. Who designed this ship? It was on deck 6. By itself. You had to use the elevator. Or walk down the stairs to it. Very tight crowded space in the entrance. Got really jammed waiting for it to open. Also just by the entrance was the most horrible looking statue. It was a peacock. Made up of twisted steel that looked like it was from the junkyard. What a lovely idea walking in your formal clothes for a nice dinner experience!

To those on this same cruise. We never found a place to slow dance with live music. Did you? Did not want to dance in the Piazza with everyone watching us. Club 6 was a joke. A DJ playing music with music videos showing. I can stay home and watch MTV videos. Missed having a small lounge with nice slow dance music. Not Frank Sinatra music that show all week.