Who, within the cabin, is entitled to the free beverage package?

Tracyjj0

Hi all :)

My question is a bit different to the usual queries about the beverage package.

I booked 2 cabins, on a Baltic cruise, on Eclipse recently (booked direct with Celebrity in UK).

Our party consists of my husband, myself and our 3 teenage kids aged 13, 13 & 16.

As usual when we cruise, and to satisfy the rules about at least one occupant of each cabin being over 18yrs of age, I will be sharing a cabin with my daughter, and my husband will share with the 2 boys.

For my daughter and I, I managed to book a bargain guarantee balcony.

I had to pay much more for the other cabin, as there were 3 occupants so the special offer for guarantee balcony didn't apply.

There are no "child" discounts, due to my kids age, so they are all charged for as adults.

Bear with me, I'm getting to the point :D

I chose the free beverage package as the perk for my husband's cabin (I was aware that there was no perk for my cabin, as I got a "special" price).

I asked how that works when the other occupants of the cabin are under age for drinking alcohol, and said "I assume the 2 boys will be given the non-alcoholic beverage package" - only to be told that no, as they are under age they get nothing, however had they been 18 they would have both been eligible for the package! (remember, I have paid exactly the same for them as anyone else would pay for 2 adults).

I then asked if there was any way they could transfer the perk to me in this instance, and the answer was no!

I booked anyway, but it's really annoyed me - it feels like I'm being penalised for having teenagers :D

So, what do you think? Should I go higher up to challenge this, and if so how do I go about it?

Thanks, Tracy

According to Celebrity you get what they told you. The alternative would be booking a cabin that was not guranteed to recieve the benefits if it is economically feasible. Some times paying more ends up costing less.

🌅🚢🇺🇸

If you book a balcony cabin that qualifies for the beverage package for yourself and your husband and put the children in an inside cabin across the hall, or another nearby cabin, then you and your husband could both get the beverage package.

Edited by varoo

If you book a balcony cabin that qualifies for the beverage package for yourself and your husband and put the children in an inside cabin across the hall, or another nearby cabin, then you and your husband could both get the beverage package.

but she can't do that because the kids are all under 18. It sounds like there is no solution for this situation. You have to have one over 18 in each room and you have one room withour 1-2-3. Tough situation, but I don't think there's anything you can do about your drink package....but your son in the room with 1-2-3 certainly should get some package. I'd escalate that one, I think you got to someone who didn't understand the program or at least the program's intent.

Edited by ghstudio

Age Requirements from the Celebrity website...and note bolded section...reference waiver of age limit:

Celebrity’s minimum age to sail unaccompanied on

sailings originating in North America is 21. The

minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings

from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and

New Zealand is eighteen 18.*The Company retains

the right, on rare occasions, to raise the minimum

age to sail unaccompanied on any sailing when

local laws require or permit such a modification.

This age limit will be waived for: minor children

sailing with their parents or guardians in adjacent

staterooms; for underage married couples; and for

active duty members of the United States or

Canadian military. Certain other restrictions may

apply, such as proof of marriage or proof of active

duty military status.

Age Requirements from the Celebrity website...and note bolded section...reference waiver of age limit:

Celebrity’s minimum age to sail unaccompanied on

sailings originating in North America is 21. The

minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings

from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and

New Zealand is eighteen 18.*The Company retains

the right, on rare occasions, to raise the minimum

age to sail unaccompanied on any sailing when

local laws require or permit such a modification.

This age limit will be waived for: minor children

sailing with their parents or guardians in adjacent

staterooms; for underage married couples; and for

active duty members of the United States or

Canadian military. Certain other restrictions may

apply, such as proof of marriage or proof of active

duty military status.

Good catch.....didn't know that. But the cabins are likely not adjacent. The OP needs to reach a sympathetic agent....maybe keep calling until they reach someone with some empathy. I wonder if "celebrity cruises" (the mystery celebrity person who follows these threads) would like to step in here with a compassionate solution.

Edited by ghstudio

Good catch.....didn't know that. But the cabins are likely not adjacent. The OP needs to reach a sympathetic agent....maybe keep calling until they reach someone with some empathy. I wonder if "celebrity cruises" (the mystery celebrity person who follows these threads) would like to step in here with a compassionate solution.
I gotta step in here and say this is a terrible approach. If all the passengers keep calling Celebrity to get a different answer to a stated policy then no one would ever get through to Celebrity and we'd all say "but they got it". The solution that fits the policy is to put the 3 kids in one cabin and the 2 adults in the cabin that had the beverage perk.

I gotta step in here and say this is a terrible approach. If all the passengers keep calling Celebrity to get a different answer to a stated policy then no one would ever get through to Celebrity and we'd all say "but they got it". The solution that fits the policy is to put the 3 kids in one cabin and the 2 adults in the cabin that had the beverage perk.

If the cabins aren't adjacent, they can't just book that way.

Our children were both under 21 on our cruise last year. We booked through a travel agent who mistakenly assigned them the beverage package. We were lucky - this was outside the rules. It's unfair that a minor pays the same for the cabin but doesn't get the amenities, but I don't think you'll get Celebrity to break the rule for you. :(

Can you choose a different bonus? We would have chosen the prepaid gratuities, or the shipboard credit, to stay within the rules, but our TA was ONLY offering the drink package during the 123 promo.

Edited by just_looking

The cabins aren't next to each other, but not far from each other (both balcony cabins on deck 8).

Can anyone confirm whether 3 adults sharing a balcony cabin would all get the drinks package, or just 2 of them?

I think I'll try asking again whether at least one of the boys can have a package (I think a premium non-alcohol package would be the one to negotiate for).

Question: During the 1,2,3 promotion, don't you get your choice between the beverage package, on board credit, and/or free gratuties? Couldn't you pick one of the others for your children's cabin?

Edited by Texed

Question: During the 1,2,3 promotion, don't you get your choice between the beverage package, on board credit, and/or free gratuties? Couldn't you pick one of the others for your children's cabin?

Celebrity won't let me put my 3 teens in a cabin together (good call as they'd probably murder each other before the end of the cruise ;) ), and the cabin me and my daughter are sharing didn't come with perks unfortunately.

Celebrity won't let me put my 3 teens in a cabin together (good call as they'd probably murder each other before the end of the cruise ;) ), and the cabin me and my daughter are sharing didn't come with perks unfortunately.

Got ya'! Well, can one of them take a beverage package, and the underaged take the OBC or gratuties? :confused:

Got ya'! Well, can one of them take a beverage package, and the underaged take the OBC or gratuties? :confused:

Ooh, good point.

I think they said that the drinks package was the more valuable (in terms of cost) option, but as they won't give it to an under age person then maybe they would give us one of the other perks.

Thanks for all the replies so far :D

Ooh, good point.

I think they said that the drinks package was the more valuable (in terms of cost) option, but as they won't give it to an under age person then maybe they would give us one of the other perks.

Thanks for all the replies so far :D

If only one person is getting the drinks package, the OBC or gratuities might be more valuable. Also, evaluate the value like this...it costs $49/day to purchase the classic package, but if one only drinks $20/worth of drinks a day, that is all it is worth.

Re Texed: As I understand it, you cannot choose 2 different perks for 2 different passengers; it's one perk for the stateroom.

Edited by royalcruz

If only one person is getting the drinks package, the OBC or gratuities might be more valuable. Also, evaluate the value like this...it costs $49/day to purchase the classic package, but if one only drinks $20/worth of drinks a day, that is all it is worth.

Re Texed: As I understand it, you cannot choose 2 different perks for 2 different passengers; it's one perk for the stateroom.

one person can't opt for free gratuities or OBC when the other chooses the drink package....but if both pick the drink package and since one is underage, they take the non-alcoholic drink package, that would meet the requirements.

It is inconceivable...or perhaps would be crazy if celebrity would give one passenger the classic drink package and not give an underage passenger the non-alcoholic package which costs them less. That's worth escalating to someone who earns over $10K a year....because it's just a rediculous position for someone to take.

Alternatively, just sign him up for the classic drink package. They won't serve anyone under 18/21 anything alcoholic so he will essentially have a very expensive soda package. The classic package only says you won't be charged for anything you order that meets the criteria. If your son can't order anything alcoholic, so be it...his non alcoholic drinks will be free. I don't think there is any documentation that says the classic package is only available to those that drink or are old enough to drink.

Edited by ghstudio

That is because you picked cabins that are not across the hall from each other or adjacent.

The people we know who cruise with minor children put them in inside cabins across the hall from the parents' cabin and do not care if they murder each other as long as they do so quietly without disturbing anyone else. ;)

They warn their children that dire consequences will befall them if they misbehave and any other passengers or crew members have any complaints about them.

When we booked with Pick Your Perk it let us choose from four options and it stated right in the description that all guests in the stateroom must select the same option.

When the children complain about the parents having a cabin with a balcony when they don't, they are informed that they can have a cabin with a balcony when they are the ones who are paying for it.

Edited by varoo

Here are my two cents, from attempting to get a logical or even promised solution resolved verses how it effects the vacation experience.

I completely get the beverage package is attractive if traveling with teenagers so I understand. However ask yourself if this does not get resolved promptly how much frustration you will have during your cruise? If you can shake it off if it is not resolved, no problem. But if you are like me and it will bother you consider just upgrading yourself or switching to Obc or gratuities. They always say the beverage package is worth more, but it is only worth what you would actually drink.

The cabins aren't next to each other, but not far from each other (both balcony cabins on deck 8).

Can anyone confirm whether 3 adults sharing a balcony cabin would all get the drinks package, or just 2 of them?

I think I'll try asking again whether at least one of the boys can have a package (I think a premium non-alcohol package would be the one to negotiate for).

Under the Pick your perk promotion, only the first 2 passengers (assuming they are adults) would get the drinks package, the 3rd person gets nothing. Earlier in the year, the 1-2-3 Go was offering free classic non-alcoholic packages and internet minutes to 3rd and 4th passengers (I booked our November cruise under this offer; my Dad doesn't drink so he is listed as the 3rd passenger while my mother and I are #1 and #2).

Is OBC an option? If you then used the OBC to purchase the classic beverage program for your husband & yourself would you come out ahead of how it is now (with only 1 beverage program free)?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 2 weeks later...

When I booked with the "Pick your perk" promo, I chose the Classic drink package and was told that all 3 of us (myself, husband and teen daughter) have the package. After reading through this and checking the website, i'm starting to doubt what I was told. I may call Celebrity just to confirm.