Rouen: What to do for the day?

CruzinNoony

You got it! You walk around and enjoy :). But certainly go visit the Cathedral which is quite special. And find a nice restaurant/café and enjoy a good French lunch with a nice wine. If you get bored of it is raining you might want to visit the art museum which, although not a great museum, does have some excellent impressionist works.

Hank

We will be in Rouen in early June all day: 8 - 10. What is there to do besides walking around a bit?:rolleyes:

If you'd like a little explanation along with your walking around, consider getting the PodTour from CityDiscovery. Since Rouen is the place where Joan of Arc was burned at the stake, the history is more dramatic than many places!

http://www.city-discovery.com/rouen/

• 1 month later...

Rouen is lovely. I did it on a land tour. The cathedral is a must. The next time I went to Rouen, it was on a cruise. I took the train to Paris. Train takes an hour. Although I have been to Paris many times, there is always more to see. Be aware of the train schedule. When I did it, last train from Paris to Rouen was about 8pm.

There is also a wonderful covered market in Rouen. We were there on a Sunday (we were there about 2 weeks ago) Not sure if it is open other days. It is on the site where Joan of Arc was burned. It is a beautiful city with the old half timbered buildings in addition to the fabulous cathedral and other gorgeous buildings and churches. If you love old cities with great history and architecture I don't think you will have a problem filling your day in Rouen with interesting adventures!

Assuming you are on a cruise and starting from La Havre, one option is to form a small group and obtain a taxi driver for the day (we had a group of 8). In seeing Rouen, we did art museum, cathedral, and the contemporary church dedicated to Joan of Arc (beautiful stained glass, not to be missed) and then did a late lunch and walk-around in Honfleur. One good option instead of Paris or Normandy.

The issue of the value of such a quick "visit" to Paris can be a topic as divisive as clothing standards for formal nights on board. Obviously, the amount of time you have can be controlling here. Don't think that Paris can be experienced through a global bus ride and return! With the true wonder of western Europe's train system, several popular ocean (and river) cruises can be paired with time in Paris, and a stay in Paris can easily be combined with a day at Versailles or elsewhere. We tied our last visit to Paris (VRBO rental in the Marais district) with a Thalys train from Gare du Nord to Amsterdam Centraal to direct walk onto a Celebrity Baltic Cruise that completed with another VRBO week rental in Amsterdam. (So that air travel was "open jaws" flight into CDG and out of AMS.) Works great if you have the time? (Same airfare and meals simplified by morning "home-cooked" breakfasts and cold dinners "at home.") A more genuine feel for a city may be achieved not only at tourist spots, but rubbing shoulders with locals at the neighborhood grocery buying eggs, break and milk. [i guess the most genuine would be going to work for a year or more, but such goals are now beyond my ambition!] Those with such time (and able to read this note) also have the ability to research TripAdvisor, VRBO, and Google Maps and Streetview in the months before a trip. Our most recent trips have also brought London, Barcelona, and Venice into our Paris and Amsterdam city experiences. The planning efforts have always been worth the extra time! Good luck.

DJ:)

In addition to walking around Rouen, if you're up for a nice view, I recommend taking the #4 bus (you can catch it at the Train Station) which goes up Mount Saint Aignan as you take it up the mountain, you get some awesome views of the city. It's not a long bus ride, maybe 15 minutes if you take it to Place Colbert (a little plaza with some market style shops and a cafe). Shorter if you get off beforehand. The buses run very frequently, about every 4-8 minutes (unless it's a Sunday/Holiday)

If you've got more time and are in decent shape, you can always walk up the hill.

• 1 year later...
has recently been to Rouen? We will be there for 2 days on a cruise ship stop in May, yes a cruise ship, not a river cruise where excursions are included. I have appreciated the postings on this thread - thanks.

Really, an overnight at Le Havre? Really can't believe it! Maybe some other port? (1) you can always start with looking at what the ship offers, you might get ideas. I only had one long day in 2012 (we go back this summer and do Normandy Beaches for our 10 hours) and we did Rouen in the morning and had lunch and some tourism in Honfleur in the afternoon. (2) Another thought is to look at Radio Taxi LeHavre and look at what they do. If I knew we were overnight, I'd probably take the train to/from Le Havre and first concentrate on Rouen (look at options on Trip Advisor for both Rouen and Honfleur (or for that matter Le Havre has a nice museum if you enjoy impressionists!). Hope this helps, Good luck,

thankfully- it's Rouen (re-read my post, please) on board the Seabourn Quest and yes I'm very sure we're there.... :) Thanks for your thoughts on Le Havre though...not my favorite place. Love Honfleur but doubt we'll go back. If you have any thoughts on ROUEN, I would love to read them. Thanks.

thankfully- it's Rouen (re-read my post, please) on board the Seabourn Quest and yes I'm very sure we're there.... :) Thanks for your thoughts on Le Havre though...not my favorite place. Love Honfleur but doubt we'll go back. If you have any thoughts on ROUEN, I would love to read them. Thanks.

Rouen is on the banks of the Seine, this river empties at Honfleur and going the other way, there is Paris? Know that river boats work here, don't know about cruise ships. Doesn't look like this is a deep water port.

Used Cruise.com because of its great search engine. Looked at May and Seabourn, the Quest is spending the month in North Europe, going nowhere near France.

What do you think?

DJ:(

If you overnight in Rouen consider an excursion to the Normandy landing beaches and cemetery. Or perhaps an excursion into the Normandy countryside. When we were on our river cruise we overnighted there. Rouen has wonderful shopping and restaurants. The cathedral is the subject of famous Monet paintings. You can also see original timber buildings. 3 years ago there was a multimedia light show on the cathedral each night, not sure if that was temporary or permanent

If you overnight in Rouen consider an excursion to the Normandy landing beaches and cemetery. Or perhaps an excursion into the Normandy countryside. When we were on our river cruise we overnighted there. Rouen has wonderful shopping and restaurants. The cathedral is the subject of famous Monet paintings. You can also see original timber buildings. 3 years ago there was a multimedia light show on the cathedral each night, not sure if that was temporary or permanent

Princess stops at Le Havre (deep water port) and in 2012 we spent morning at Rouen and the afternoon at Honfleur. Used Radio Taxi Le Havre. Rouen has multiple things of interest. You could start with their art museum (see the Monets) then do the Cathedral itself and then go to the church that honors Joan of Arc (wonderful stained glass) and then there is the walk under the famous clock tower and the ancient buildings.

If I literally had one day for Rouen and one day (full day, or half day) again, I'd visit the websites for Rouen tourism and consider all the options that we didn't have time for. The same can be said for Honfleur: nice harborside views of the Seine, fine old church and museum possibilities. With the miracle of two full days with an actual night docked between them, I'd look at a larger circle and take into account your past experience and your financial situation or interest in recruiting 3 more couples? Have no idea what a van/driver charges for an overnight (as I've never done it). If you haven't experienced Paris at all, you could pack an overnight and look at train schedule to/from Paris: could fit in some actual museum time, food, and bateux bus to see things of interest. If I'd never been, and had the spirit of adventure, likely to do this as anyone can handle one bad night at a hotel that was a mistake!

Hope somebody actually has an overnight from Normandy and writes about it! Always fun to dream?

look at the cruise line website before questioning a poster's integrity. The 21 day Western Europe Explorer docks in Rouen on May 5th.

If you view your 16 February posting, you will note that you didn't put in the date in May, so didn't originally look at April options. This ship has the capacity for both canal and river and deep water travel? The smallest ship we were on was the soon-to-be-sold Ocean Princess (14 horrible days) although in 2014 we sailed Basel to Amsterdam on a new river boat that was a good experience (the transportation, not the tours). The itinerary looks wonderful. Do you know how the ship gets from Cherbourg to Rouen. Obviously the Quest docks on the Seine and I'd do a Google Search for this, as well as review of TripAdvisor (sometimes on a Forum you will get a local to give you his/her observations).

Another thought: I haven't looked at Cherbourg: see their excursion options (I assume on this ship you pay for excursions?) so you'll see where they go? At Rouen you can either eat the night and get.. some mileage in, or you can do two different things: If you are in for easy/restful (and have spent some time in Paris, so not overly excited) I'd save Rouen for day two, so you have breakfast after a good night's sleep, do the morning in Rouen and maybe a local lunch (or return to ship; you have great food on this ship and I don't know where you come from-- honestly I don't vacation in Europe for the food?). On the day before the overnight, you have the option of traveling some distance away from Rouen as you can't be left behind if you are slow in the return?

Does this ship have an active Roll Call (can be a problem): excellent would be people who are looking for more participants and they are driving a couple of hours away to see something that may interest you.

Hope you return to this Forum on your return to at least post that you have shared your experiences on this ship and where I can find them (my wife won't stop teaching, so April travel (my first would be flowering bulb fields) isn't in our future. Have done 12-night RT Amsterdam for Norway (only) and that was so great. Baltic cruises with overnight in Russia: didn't want to go back and now won't, no need to support their international actions.

Maybe this helps your planning, hope that you are looking at multiple other sites. My France experience (so far, is Paris (many days) and nearby Paris, Rouen and Honfleur.

I agree with Got2Cruise's account of Rouen...seeing the cathedral Monet painted in person was breathtaking - it's white marble facade was quite something - it's not easy to get into a photograph as it's so very wide, if you have a wide angle lens, bring it. This is also the place (might sound a bit macabre) where Joan of Arc was burned...there is a statue and memorial in the spot.

It's a charming place to walk around, gorgeous half timbered architecture representative of Normandy, Calvados on the menu in most places....nice local cuisine - I treated myself to a 3 course while I was there. I'd like to have had time to take a tour up to the Normandy Beaches but alas, I had to get back to Paris (such troubles!) and I think I always want that to be a separate trip anyway, exploring the northern coast of France but still, if I had time -I just might have gone anyway to pay my respects.

MIght be nice to rent a bicycle to ride around Rouen or alongside the river - it's just such a pretty city and full of charm. You'll enjoy it. :)

and I appreciate your responses to my inquiry. We have been to Paris many times since we were fortunate enough to live 4 hours away in the 80's - also Normandy. We have only been to Rouen once & then as more or less a "drive-by" so rather than take the train to Paris, we would like to leisurely see the City. We will consider the ship's tours but I find that I can count on the cruisecritic posters for even better ideas! And once again you've come through. Thank you for your expertise and, should you think of other "must do's", please let us know. I will indeed, In Retirement, let you know our thoughts on this itinerary. We are all blessed to enjoy our time cruising to amazing ports & eating crazy good food! Long may it continue for all of us !