Hoping Carnival gets with the program

mg33626

The program allows for either gratuities, on board credit, or the drink package. It's up to those sailing to choose. When I think of the endless complaints about "nickle and dimeing" for the last ten years, this solves those issues and makes cruising more like it used to be and all inclusive.

I've been cruising since 1972 and it has never been all inclusive on mass lines.

I've been cruising since 1972 and it has never been all inclusive on mass lines.

Mek:

In what ships did you sail in the 70's? The reason I ask is I'm from Cincinnati (I live in Lawrenceburg) and have over 12,000 items in my ocean liner memorabilia collection. I always like to chat with folks who have a lengthy cruising history.

What I said was a decade ago things were "more" all inclusive meaning there were less things that cost extra ( specialty restaurants, gelato, ect.) the promotion means you can choose a OBC so there's no big bill at the end. One reason many people don't take cruises and choose all inclusive resorts is a set price up front.

I recently did a family cruise with 25 cabins. Several of those had bills which exceeded the cabin price. I realize clearly this is a primary source of revenue for the lines, but also feel there's untapped customers who would prefer really include everything or almost everything.

In reading responses, many seem like how ever Carnival does things is the right way. Make no mistake I like. Carnival, and I'm booking my next cruise on Pride this week. That said, many lines might just have things that can be learned by other lines. Also, many passengers might find they like other lines if they try different options.

I booked Ultimate Caribbean 10 day Cruise on Celebrity out of FLL for next March during spring break for my family of 4 with their current promo. My price for a balcony (!) cabin for our family of 4 is $3058 (before taxes and tips). We chose drink package as our free perk.

I cannot imagine Carnival beating Celebrity on the price for this type of cruise (with or without drink package). And most everyone who sailed Celebrity will agree that it beats Carnival in many other ways.

P.s. I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but the standard drink package on Celebrity includes espresso drinks, fresh squeezed juices, smoothies and bottled still water. Celebrity will allow us to upgrade to premium package for $10 plus gratuities ($11.50). This package will include increased allowance for drink prices as well as vitamin water, energy drinks, and premium water bottles (such as San Pelegrino). And Celebrity does not have a limit for number of drinks you get per day (not that it was a problem on our recent Carnival cruise - never got even close to 15 drinks maximum), nor do they have a 5 minute rule.

Edited by DrLookGood

Well, after reading this entire thread I decided to check out Celebrity for Nov. or Dec. of this year going to the Caribbean. Celebrity is around $1000 more than what I am paying on Princess. I still can't find that cruise that everyone is talking about where Celebrity is cheap. IMHO when you get the "free" incentive, there is nothing free and it is actually being made up in the cost of the cruise fare.

Maybe someone could tell me which cruises on Celebrity are suppose to be inline with Carnival's pricing.

Well, after reading this entire thread I decided to check out Celebrity for Nov. or Dec. of this year going to the Caribbean. Celebrity is around $1000 more than what I am paying on Princess. I still can't find that cruise that everyone is talking about where Celebrity is cheap. IMHO when you get the "free" incentive, there is nothing free and it is actually being made up in the cost of the cruise fare.

Maybe someone could tell me which cruises on Celebrity are suppose to be inline with Carnival's pricing.

I'm booked on the 11/8/14 Reflection, a Western Caribbean out of Miami. On 2/28, I paid $2064.40 for a deck 7 balcony with the drink package. The Carnival Sunshine leaves the same day for a Western from Pt. Canaveral. The Early Saver rate for a deck 7 balcony is $2,060.26. Both rates are for two, including taxes and fees.

Also, looking at the 12/6 date in your sig, a Ruby Princess balcony is $929pp and the Reflection $874pp excluding taxes or fees. I'm unsure how you're getting $1,000 difference.

Edited by cyntil8ing

I'm booked on the 11/8/14 Reflection, a Western Caribbean out of Miami. On 2/28, I paid $2064.40 for a deck 7 balcony with the drink package. The Carnival Sunshine leaves the same day for a Western from Pt. Canaveral. The Early Saver rate for a deck 7 balcony is $2,060.26. Both rates are for two, including taxes and fees.

Also, looking at the 12/6 date in your sig, a Ruby Princess balcony is $929pp and the Reflection $874pp excluding taxes or fees. I'm unsure how you're getting $1,000 difference.

I'm not sure examples will change some opinions, but my intent on starting this post was never in the slightest way to say that Celebrity cruises are cheap, or cheaper than Carnival, or the cheapest cruise you'll find. It seems to me MSC has better deals than anyone, and although some don't care for them; many people with over 20 cruises say it's their best one yet.

What I would say is that often Celebrity is not much more than a new Carnival ship and with either the credit or beverage package you might come out ahead. To me the larger point was that it makes things easy and more relaxing to not have to worry about a latte, specialty restaurant, or Grey Goose by the gallon if that's your choice and depending on the perk you choose. Also, all of this IMO helps add to a lively happy crowd.

Easy...I did not book at the rate that it is right now. The rate was quite a bit cheaper but the ship is filling up.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

Easy...I did not book at the rate that it is right now. The rate was quite a bit cheaper but the ship is filling up.

Ask and ye shall receive. Game, set, match. :D

I'm not sure examples will change some opinions, but my intent on starting this post was never in the slightest way to say that Celebrity cruises are cheap, or cheaper than Carnival, or the cheapest cruise you'll find. It seems to me MSC has better deals than anyone, and although some don't care for them; many people with over 20 cruises say it's their best one yet.

What I would say is that often Celebrity is not much more than a new Carnival ship and with either the credit or beverage package you might come out ahead. To me the larger point was that it makes things easy and more relaxing to not have to worry about a latte, specialty restaurant, or Grey Goose by the gallon if that's your choice and depending on the perk you choose. Also, all of this IMO helps add to a lively happy crowd.

Don't worry, some of us got it.

Judging by increasing attendance at whatever the PG party is called, I think Carnival already knows most cruisers aren't moving to other cruise lines.

Liquor sales are a primary source of revenue for Carnival and they aren't about to give it away. Carnival has occasionally run promotions where there might be a $50 bar tab OBC but I haven't seen once of those in a while. Clearly it didn't achieve the desired results.

Some analysts are projecting a leveling off for the next few years in the number of cruise passengers. Carnival's decision to hold off on new builds is going to look absolutely brilliant if those analysts are correct.

Meanwhile the cruise lines still building enormous ships are going to be the ones left scrambling trying to fill them.

Does anyone really think Quantum was being built for China?

Nope it was built for our market but the market is exploding in the Asian market so they are sending the ship where the money is. Pretty smart business decision.:)

Bill

How do you know the same thing hasn't happened to the Celebrity ship.

You asked the poster for an example and she gave you two.:confused:

Bill

I agree with an earlier post, you're not looking. That said, I wasn't saying it was the cheapest alternative. I was saying by including an on board credit or a drink package; it makes for a fun lively ship. Also, it makes things more all inclusive and less surprise charges for many little things .

If some here only want the cheapest cruise out there, I would suggest some great deals on MSC. Sadly far to many people who never cruise Carnival think it's low class trash while others who never try Celebrity think it's stuffy and old. Neither of these are true, but that's my opinion.

I am with you...I used to go to the beach and stay at every possible hotel in my price range and have an absolute blast comparing and enjoying the differences...I am the same about travel and cruise dreaming...sarah

Nope it was built for our market but the market is exploding in the Asian market so they are sending the ship where the money is. Pretty smart business decision.:)

Bill

Well it sure is following the money, can't argue with that. The cruising market is def. changing, that's for sure. I don't have a horse in this race, but I would be P.O'd if I got the newest ship and had it pulled out from under me (or sailed as the case may be). EOS is a tired old horse and everyone (and I mean everyone) was screaming about all the "new enhanced" stuff Quantum was bringing. She is, but only for 5 crappy sailing months.

Think New York got the shaft from RCI.

Ive never seen a Celebrity price anywhere near the carnival pricing

If you throw in Taxes, Gratuities, and port fees I paid $711.00 pp for my California Coastal cruise (7 days, 5 ports, overnight in San Fran). I booked 30 days out and eventually moved to a family aft balcony cabin for less the $100 more total.

Last September I originally booked my 8 day Norway Fjord cruise (as a solo) for $1,100. This was the Eclipse which is the most beautiful ship I have ever been on. That was an inside and I eventually moved to a Concierge balcony for a couple hundred more. That was an insane deal for Norway.

We only paid about $1,600 pp for an oversized Oceanview cabin on the Millinium. This was a 14 day SE Asia cruise with overnioghts in Singapore, Bangkok, Saigon, Halong Bay and Hong Kong. We also stopped in Danang fior a day. That was a screaming deal.

I love Celebrity and they are now the first line I look at. You can easily find deals if you are flexable. The same goes for any line.

I just wish I could purchase the drink package on Carnival and my wife not... She may have 3 drinks a day... I may have 3 buckets of beer... :D

And then some cocktails while playing craps late into the night...

Mike

I agree with you 100%. As it is now, one can consume up to 15 drinks per day with the Cheers program. I would think they could sell a package that included X amount of drinks per day or X amount per cruise and they could be shared. Those "FREE" drinks show up on your S&S card so why not keep track of them thru the S&S card? I too drink more than my hubby but together we do not drink anywhere near 30 drinks per day so Cheers is not worth it to us.

It's also a disadvantage for someone like my brother and his wife. He does not drink....EVER. She drinks a LOT. Yet he would have to pay an exorbatant amount just so she could get Cheers.

Well it sure is following the money, can't argue with that. The cruising market is def. changing, that's for sure. I don't have a horse in this race, but I would be P.O'd if I got the newest ship and had it pulled out from under me (or sailed as the case may be). EOS is a tired old horse and everyone (and I mean everyone) was screaming about all the "new enhanced" stuff Quantum was bringing. She is, but only for 5 crappy sailing months.

I would have been PO'd too, especially since i could have cruised on the ship without paying airfare since it was close to my home but the ship was so overpriced that the thought of cruising on the Quantum quickly went out the window, so when they decided to move the ship it didn't phase me too much.

Bill

Bill

Potentially brilliant but time will tell. It could also flop. I doubt they took feng shui into consideration when designing the ship.

I would expect the Chinese to soon start demanding that cruise ships doing business in China be built in Chinese shipyards.

You still have Anthem coming out next Spring. After it's Europe run it will head to Cape Liberty November 2015. After the five month run of Quantum, Cape Liberty will have Liberty of the Seas (great ship) until Anthem gets there.

They arn't going to miss much in NYC with this change

I'm okay with Carnival not offering the 1-2-3 Go / Pick your Perk promotion.

I don't want all cruise lines to be the same.

I have 2 upcoming cruises on Celebrity (both with a "free" drink package), I got good deals on both (bermuda for $685 Canadian per person and a 10 night Caribbean for $899 US per person plus all applicable taxes). I'm looking forward to trying the drink package and I'm sure I'll have a couple of great cruises.

For our 14 night Pride cruise, I'm planning on buying 1 bottle ($80) plus a load of non-alcholic beverages - spending about $100 for the 3 of us (lots of time I'd rather have a soda or bottle of water than some fru-fru sugary drink). I don't really want to spend 14 days - 7 or 8 of them non-port days for us heavily drinking. Booked early saver and I appreciate that I know I've gotten (and will get) the lowest possible price for this cruise.

Variety is the spice of life and I'd rather that the different cruise lines offered their individual promotions and rates than homogenize more that they already are.

You still have Anthem coming out next Spring. After it's Europe run it will head to Cape Liberty November 2015. After the five month run of Quantum, Cape Liberty will have Liberty of the Seas (great ship) until Anthem gets there.

They arn't going to miss much in NYC with this change

The threads on the royal side argue differently (and for the best sailing time of the year), but again I don't don't have a horse in the race. Way to many bells and buzzers for my liking (dunking machine, whirly gigger, ejecter pods, shark tanks etc etc). Explorer was way long in the tooth (possibly the longest time in a single home port of any Royal ship (I think) - altho I am no expert), and the payoff was to be the star of the fleet. Liberty (while newer) is way off of that. Have they released sailings yet for Anthem out of Jersey? Another Coup de'tat ship movement coming?

All joking aside, New Yorkers (who like to sail without flying - and who would not like that expense taken away - got ripped off. It is def. possible that they made a great business move, being the first cruise line to put a brand new ship in a brand new market. Time will tell.