Never again

bobnpaml

I made a rule to myself to never cruise during holidays and summer vacations not necessary because of unruly kids but because those times bring out all the nasty, inconsiderate, jerky, stupid imbeciles x10. Don't get me wrong, one will encounter jerks in the offpeak seasons but for some reason when school is out, its ridiculous worst. I live in NYC, so when it hot or school is out, expect someone (tourist or native) to act stupid at any given hour which is what happen this holy / spring break week. Yes it Tuesday but if you're a tourist do not travel the subway during morning rush hour and expect 1) the attraction to be open when it 8am and 2) the train to move when there's a police investigation and train is extremely overcrowded - that just seeking death right there....

I better stock up on patience I see this summer is going to special, maybe even beyond goddamn....:cool:

Why did you smash ice cream cones in each hole? That sounds like something a child would do.

Sorry, I could not resist. 1000 kids is allot of kids. We cruise with our two but they know to tow the line or there will be big trouble.

No, the poster didn't smash the cones, she found them smashed. She should have included the words "I found" before the word smashed.;)

You think Spring Break is bad......Never, ever cruise during Holy Week. Never in my life have I been on a ship (or anywhere else) where there were so many rude, disrespectful, children. And No adult supervision. I have vented to Carnival by both an e-mail and the survey sent post cruise. We were told there was over 1000 kids on this cruise. I will continue to cruise Carnival but will be mindful of the time of year we book. This was on the Carnival Magic out of Galveston.

What did you expect - that week and the next are the two busiest weeks of spring break!!!

People worry about college breaks, but its not college breaks that are bad it is the K-12 breaks that are horrible.

We were on this cruise. Even though we also learned our lesson to never travel this week because it is Mexico's equivalent to spring break... I still had a great time and it wasn't that bad. OR maybe I felt that way because those other kids made my kids look like angels. haha The only thing that I saw was this kid running around the water slides with this long toothpick thing and every time someone tried to take it away he would run. Of course his parents were nowhere in sight. He ran by me and I stripped it out of his hand. Oh and one time all the buttons were pushed in the elevator. We also learned that if you open all the closet doors and the bathroom door it blocks out some noise from the hallway.

.....was told this week is the first official week in Florida with no spring breakers.....(4th week in April).....

The key is not that it is the 4th week of April but it is an entire week after Easter.

No, the poster didn't smash the cones, she found them smashed. She should have included the words "I found" before the word smashed.;)

You are correct, I should have said...."I found" smashed cones......but I am a guy......

But it was funny nydney1!

Cranky rude "The World Owes Me Something" Old people are much more of a pain on a cruise than kids:)

I beg to differ on this one. I've never had problem with any of the adults on any of my cruises. I am an "old person", but I am neither cranky nor rude and I have manners, something these kids have not been taught. On every cruise, there are kids running free with no adult supervision. When something happens to one of their little darlings, they'll be suing Carnival in a heartbeat.

I'd love to see Carnival do "adults only" cruises.

I agree! We are in our early 50,s and have no children but kids on a cruise have never bothered us? Its their vacation too:) we stay away from the main pool and other areas they seem to congregate at and if they look like they are riding the elevators up and down I start pressing all the buttons when I get in:

Cranky rude "The World Owes Me Something" Old people are much more of a pain on a cruise than kids:)

You sound like me!! Same age!! I love to mess with the misbehaving kids!

Last cruise I was getting in the elevator and a couple of 12/13yr old boys were sticking sheets of paper between the doors! My husband and I got in and I gave the kids "the grandma" look and then said "I know who their parents are, just wait till I tell them what their son has been doing in the elevator!"

I could smell the fear in them!!:eek: When ever they seen me the rest of the cruise they would go the other way!:D

We were on the Glory during July . Occupancy was over 120%.:eek::eek:

(in other words 3675 on a ship with 1500 cabins)

There were 800 or so kids on board and they were mostly great . However crowded is crowded.

The pool was packed, the MDR was packed and don't start me on the comedy club. Insane !

With due respect to all you kid haters ;), perhaps its not a too many kids issue during spring break.

Perhaps it's a just too many damned people issue !

If there were just 3000 on the Glory including the same number of kids , it would have been great.

Edited by richstowe

My husband and I got in an elevator and I gave the kids "the grandma" look and then said "I know who their parents are, just wait till I tell them what their son has been doing in the elevator!"

I could smell the fear in them!!:eek: !:D

And as a parent to some teenagers (who I believe and trust are well behaved - we review travel rules, expectations, and consequences regularly!) I WANT someone to tell me if they have been rude or misbehaved! Just don't tell me they were "bad".....be specific!! Tell me if you see us at dinner or walking in the hall....I WANT to know specifically what they were doing and there WILL be consequences - swift and severe - if warranted!!

By the same token.....if they've been polite, or offered assistance I love to hear those stories as well.

Even the "best" kids (and many adults!) make poor choices but my kids (and many others) KNOW there are serious consequences from parents who DO care and will take action to see that the situation is NOT repeated!!

I learned this years ago....first two weeks of Dec. are very good for NO kids....or under 300 or so......

We cruise out this Sunday.....was told this week is the first official week in Florida with no spring breakers.....(4th week in April).....

The kids do get unruly at times.....they posse up......I don't have any problems....I will tell them to shut up.....I don't like it when they destroy stuff....damage stuff......I got up early one day and played putt putt....smashed ice cream cone in every hole on the course.....crap like that...they need to be whoooooped.

I am traveling with my daughters (7yo&9yo) for the first time on Splendor next month. I can't fathom what you folks are even saying. Kids just being unattended? Kids running in the hallways? Damaging property?? I am from the old school...all I have to do is LOOK at my kids and they don't know what I'm gonna do so they stay respectful and in line to EVERYONE. You guys have me really curious as to what to expect with other people's children on this cruise...

Holy Week/Passover IS spring break for much of the country. Just because it wasn't your spring break doesn't mean it wasn't someone else's. ;)

*ugh*

I found this out the hard way several years ago when my BFF & I went on a trip to Cancun for our 30th birthdays this same week in April.

Being surrounded by a bunch of drunk teenagers on their springbreak for a long weekend isn't an ideal getaway, either. I had thought they were all over when I booked.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I am traveling with my daughters (7yo&9yo) for the first time on Splendor next month. I can't fathom what you folks are even saying. Kids just being unattended? Kids running in the hallways? Damaging property?? I am from the old school...all I have to do is LOOK at my kids and they don't know what I'm gonna do so they stay respectful and in line to EVERYONE. You guys have me really curious as to what to expect with other people's children on this cruise...

I am the exact same way and really fearful also.. We will be cruising next month on the Fantasy and I am shocked at what I am hearing also.. My kids know the fear of God look and they know consequences/discipline will happen, if they step a toe out of line.. Both my Husband and myself were raised old school and have raised our kids this way also (even having some that are special needs)..

Anyways, it really makes me wonder and think about how bad these kids are really going to be... I am just thankful we booked during "school in" time and not when the kids are out..

I've never had problem with any of the adults on any of my cruises.

Well then, you either weren't paying attention, or you were part of the problem. I've cruised over 40 times, and I assure you, I've seen more obnoxious behavior from adults than kids. Rushing elevators, butting in line at the buffet, running into people with their scooter, smoking in non-smoking areas, throwing lit cigarettes over the side (or throwing them on the deck and crushing them with their foot), stacking food up on trays like they're on their way to the electric chairs and then leaving most of it, fighting over deck chairs, chewing out a waiter because they didn't have HP sauce on board – the list is endless.

Children need to be taught how to behave; adults have no excuse.

All I can add is that I've been on many spring break cruises. My DS is now 18 and we started cruising with him steadily when he we 9. I've never, and I do mean never, been that put out by any children on any of our spring break cruises. Yes, sometimes they do stupid stuff but nothing to get bent out of shape about. I'm one of those who has been more bothered by adults who are drunk and disorderly, especially those that go on what they call "pub crawls". Nosiy, drunken people screaming and yelling and carrying on have annoyed me way more than any unruly child has, but not enough to let it ruin my cruise for even a minute. I'll cruise anytime! :D

And yes, my kid is special. He's special to me and all the people that know and love him. :D

Edited by mousey

Well then, you either weren't paying attention, or you were part of the problem. I've cruised over 40 times, and I assure you, I've seen more obnoxious behavior from adults than kids. Rushing elevators, butting in line at the buffet, running into people with their scooter, smoking in non-smoking areas, throwing lit cigarettes over the side (or throwing them on the deck and crushing them with their foot), stacking food up on trays like they're on their way to the electric chairs and then leaving most of it, fighting over deck chairs, chewing out a waiter because they didn't have HP sauce on board – the list is endless.

Children need to be taught how to behave; adults have no excuse.

I presume the obnoxious children learn from their obnoxious parents. I also presume that certain status demographics play a part.

ps where was security?

We are only able to cruise during school breaks- Christmas wee, President's week in Feb., Spring break and summer. Most expensive and crowded times of the year. Yes, there are tons of kids on the ships, and hottubs are jammed with them. However, we saw the same rowdy kid behavior when we were on RCCL this past Christmas. It is not just CCL - it is the parents who want their "free time" and let the kids run rampant. I do applaud RCCL, as the have a curfew for kids under 17 which IS enforced.

I am the exact same way and really fearful also.. We will be cruising next month on the Fantasy and I am shocked at what I am hearing also.. My kids know the fear of God look and they know consequences/discipline will happen, if they step a toe out of line.. Both my Husband and myself were raised old school and have raised our kids this way also (even having some that are special needs)..

Anyways, it really makes me wonder and think about how bad these kids are really going to be... I am just thankful we booked during "school in" time and not when the kids are out..

We travel with our 7&8 year old and it is not bad. There are some kids running around unsupervised, but we have never had an issue. (We do not travel over Spring Break or Holiday Weeks). We go over the rules with the kids so they know what is expected.

Enjoy your vacation.