New ship in 2016 - Koningsdam

ETinCA

Here's a couple captures from the video that show some spaces not yet "released". First one of the bottom of the atrium shows shore excursions. And it doesn't appear that it will be the "Fort Knox" that it has been previous. Looks a lot more open, interactive and inviting. Second, if you look at the top and right of this graphic that is our first look at the Explorers Lounge.

ImageUploadedByForums1416031794.644112.jpg.920f4a44339cce2a18d15da68f043c9a.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1416031810.453886.jpg.90602fad387f63848d35e2bf6765b750.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That sounds very similar to the layout they are showing for it here...

3D_545X_neptune2.jpg

Yes, I did notice that and was very pleased.

I also noticed that, unless I am missing something, there are only 12 SS cabins on the new ship. I wonder why so few?

Not matters much for me... but where do the ladies do the 'make-up'? No table with mirror like in the Neptune suites.

For the Neptune suites...the flat TV over the settee.... where do you watch TV? Unless you watch in bed.... or in one of the chairs.... and that screen is too close.... you get square eyes! (OK... perhaps a bit rectangle.) The movable TV as in old style cabins has more options for watching.

What about some smaller cabins.... TV opposite the bed... but you can't watch from the settee?

Just thinking out loud....

For the rest of cabins and suites... I like them. I like the grey colours....but I also liked the dark browns and red in the Nw A suites also also!

Stephen

The new suite bathroom is very similar to the Princess suite bathrooms except that Princess doesn't have the sinks in the tub/shower room. We really liked that setup. But, Princess also has a desk in the living area and a vanity next to the bed. I don't know if we would book this suite as it doesn't have a vanity. We had a suite on the Amsterdam and loved the separate dressing area. I am surprised that HAL didn't include a vanity or dressing area in the new ship as it has had them in the SY and SS suites on all older ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not matters much for me... but where do the ladies do the 'make-up'? No table with mirror like in the Neptune suites.

For the Neptune suites...the flat TV over the settee.... where do you watch TV? Unless you watch in bed.... or in one of the chairs.... and that screen is too close.... you get square eyes! (OK... perhaps a bit rectangle.) The movable TV as in old style cabins has more options for watching.

What about some smaller cabins.... TV opposite the bed... but you can't watch from the settee?

Just thinking out loud....

For the rest of cabins and suites... I like them. I like the grey colours....but I also liked the dark browns and red in the Nw A suites also also!

Stephen

I always carry my own super magnifying makeup mirror which I set on the desk. I never do makeup in a wall mirror anyway so the lack of one for makeup is no problem for me. :)

I did wonder about the TV placement though.

own super magnifying makeup mirror which I set on the desk. I never do makeup in a wall mirror anyway so the lack of one for makeup is no problem for me. :)

HAL Neptune Suite dressing tables have a lighted two sided makeup mirror attached to the wall with an extension mechanism. You can use the magnification side or the unmagnified side, whichever you prefer. The wall mirror is useful for seeing the back of your hair when styling it. :)

The tub/shower area with the double sinks actually looks like it has 2 doors. One to the sleeping area and the other into the toilet/sink area.

Thanks for this. I kept looking at the diagram and it made no sense the only entry door would have to be going past the toilet. That is certainly where one wants privacy and what good is a divided bathroom if you can't access the shower side without disturbing someone in the toilet side? :eek:

I couldn't clearly determine there is a door from the sleeping area to the sinks/shower area. The design would have been inappropriate without that door, IMO.

I don't know, do you really think that Hal is going to pay for two piano players?

They keep cutting down on the entertainment now, I have my doubts that they will spring for two piano players.

I dont disagree that HAL has had their fair share of cutbacks but why go to the expense of 2 piano's if they are not going to utilize at least some of the cruise nights. Usually the space around the piano is "prime" real estate for seating and spending $$ on cocktails :D

I don't know, do you really think that Hal is going to pay for two piano players?

They keep cutting down on the entertainment now, I have my doubts that they will spring for two piano players.

I doubt it will only always be 2 but there's no point in paying for a second piano unless it's going to get use. From some reports I've seen etc I think HAL is starting to realize they cut back a little too far and may use this ship to launch a few things to bring it back. Keep in mind they're updating upgrading all their show lounge screens among other things

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Forums

I dont disagree that HAL has had their fair share of cutbacks but why go to the expense of 2 piano's if they are not going to utilize at least some of the cruise nights. Usually the space around the piano is "prime" real estate for seating and spending $$ on cocktails :D

Maybe the automated "player" pianos. Put your cruise card in the slot ($1 per song) and pick your favorites :D

Edited by frankc98376

They already have FOUR on board. The customary Piano Bar player, one for each of the two Hal Cats bands, and the Adagio player. All they have to do is recycle ;)

Maybe the automated "player" pianos. Put your cruise card in the slot ($1 per song) and pick your favorites :D

Yes and maybe they'll have a version of the "Johnny Cab" Driver from Total Recall to act like he's playing it (er, them) ;) :p :D

arnold-schwarzenegger_original.jpg

Yes and maybe they'll have a version of the "Johnny Cab" Driver from Total Recall to act like he's playing it (er, them) ;) :p :D

arnold-schwarzenegger_original.jpg

I can see the press release now "Holland America in partnership with a world class Hollywood studio (not named as they have their own ships with real entertainers) brings you like life automated entertainers and cruise staff!"

own super magnifying makeup mirror which I set on the desk. I never do makeup in a wall mirror anyway so the lack of one for makeup is no problem for me. :)

HAL Neptune Suite dressing tables have a lighted two sided makeup mirror attached to the wall with an extension mechanism. You can use the magnification side or the unmagnified side, whichever you prefer. The wall mirror is useful for seeing the back of your hair when styling it. :)

Those mirrors are in all cabins, but in the Neptune suite dressing room, it's too dark in there to be useful even with the mirror light on. I use my own mirror in the bathroom where there is decent light to put on my makeup, and do hair and get dressed in the dressing room.

(I have no idea what happened with the quote function above - I only hit one post to quote).

Edited by Lizzie68

The SS cabins also have an extension mirror but the weak magnification makes it useless for makeup. It is only useful as a night light.

It may come as a big shock to you but we have sailed in a Neptune suite too so I do know about the lighted side mirrors. They are useless for makeup as the wattage in the lights is very low. I didn't use the makeup table and instead chose to use the desk by the window for natural light so I could see what I was doing.

HAL ships have their makeup areas designed by men I am sure. They know nothing about the need for proper lighting and proper magnification for those whose eyes may not be what they used to be.

Edited by sapper1