So "Pick Your Perk" Expires Today

curtdesilets

So does that mean that the prices for cabins will start to drop tomorrow?

I've noticed that across the board, prices are at least 200-300 dollars higher this year than last for the same exact cruise. Standard Balconies in Alaska for instance are over $2000 pp, which is insane.

The "Free Perk" obviously was just added to the fare !! :mad:

I guess it depends on the cruise. I am quite happy with the AQ fare I got. The beverage package was icing on the cake. I will say that the prices have risen about $200 per person since I booked but the increase was after the Pick your Perk promo started.

I've noticed that across the board, prices are at least 200-300 dollars higher this year than last for the same exact cruise. Standard Balconies in Alaska for instance are over $2000 pp, which is insane.

I wonder too. Not a fan of the perks , especially the drink package :-

I would rather decide how I spend my money not someone else -not big drinkers so I end up subsidising those that do.

On a positive note, hopefully they will increase the bar personnel if not so many drinks packages are given out !

We're looking next at 2016, so waiting to see what the price strategy will be.

Prices dropped over 500€ for our AQ cabin (mediterranean cruise) in the last two weeks compared to what we booked for 2 months ago, despite the drink package deal still being the same as at time of booking. Called customer service and got the reduction applied to our booking while keeping the drink package. Since we were happy with the price we originally booked for, saving over 500€ on said original price definitely makes us very happy campers :-)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Actually, the Pick Your Perk promo runs until April 30th so you'll have a few more days to wait to see what happens.

I don't have all the stats but from my limited research the prices did not drop after the previous promo's expired except for those instances where the bookings were low and they were dropping the price to get more cabins booked.

As far as the promo adding to the price of the cruise that is not what I've experienced. My two upcoming cruises are basically the same price as the ones I took a year ago except both of mine have the promo and last year they didn't. The only way I think the promo is affecting prices is to increase demand which results in fewer cabins being available.

Edited by RickT

I wonder too. Not a fan of the perks , especially the drink package :-

I would rather decide how I spend my money not someone else -not big drinkers so I end up subsidising those that do.

On a positive note, hopefully they will increase the bar personnel if not so many drinks packages are given out !

We're looking next at 2016, so waiting to see what the price strategy will be.

Drink packages, OBC or pre-paid gratuities all have approximately the same cost for Celebrity. So I am not sure I understand your "subsidy" comment.

Drink packages, OBC or pre-paid gratuities all have approximately the same cost for Celebrity. So I am not sure I understand your "subsidy" comment.

It may cost X the same but the strategy relies on people that take advantage to the full is offset by people like me who cannot get anywhere near the full amount therefore it is averaged out lower. Also what seems to be reported happening is that the servers are being reduced in numbers, no doubt to reduce consumption. All I am saying is that I would prefer to pay for my own drinks and have more servers and for me to decide what to spend my money on and not have to choose which marketing ploy to fall for - as the saying goes "no such thing as a free lunch". Some of the perks here in the UK have only had the drinks package as a choice, which I cannot take full advantage of therefore if I choose a cruise that has it, I am technically subsiding them. If I have a choice of the others I get $11.50 a day gratuities and even less with OBC as its per cabin, but the value to the drinker is claimed to be some $50 a day. Hardly fair to the non/small drinker. Lets have more non-drinking perks valued at $50 please :D

I like that it is built in even if it does raise the price. I enjoy the package but if it wasn't included I wouldn't purchase it for two reasons. First is my wife would say that we don't need it. Second is she is right. I can get by without it but if it is built into the price I will take it. Most times the difference isn't that much comparing to purchase it separately. It is like manufacturing a product, a non standard feature cost more to add on that it does to make it part of the base product .

🍸🍻

Now if they were to offer speciality restaurant package (less than the drinks package) for each evening, that would suit me fine. Might even buy some wine to go with it. Surely a winner for X. Better deal for me - and they get more more cash out of me. Everyone happy :D:D

My TA thought to give it 2 months and the 123 will be back - could even be extended again -pure speculation of course - but they will probably keep prices near enough the same so as to be able to re-introduce the 123 or equivalent and it look a good deal. I am putting on hold a future booking for 2016 to see how all this pans out, but judging by the response they seem to be getting for the promo, it will probably remain for the foreseeable future.

Don't worry, the next "sale" will start ASAP...I'm sure it will be 1,2,3 GO!

I agree that Celebrity will start the new "Sale!!!" or continue this one...:)

Edited by cruza

Last spring we booked an 11-night Mediterranean cruise on the Reflection during the Memorial Day weekend sale. This sale fell between the end of the spring PYP and eventual summer 1,2,3. We scooped up a Happy Hour rate and in addition to a great rate we received a small OBC and 2 bottles of wine/cabin. Because we were in Aqua we received 3 bottles of wine/cabin. (We booked 2 cabins.) By the way, we booked through Celebrity and the rep offered the OBC and wine when I said I'd call back because I wanted to check to see if the TA we usually use would give us perks. These were guarantee cabins, but the rep booked us in 2 adjoining cabins since the guarantees were already in the process of being assigned. I just checked the current rate for the same cruise for the same week in 2014. The cost is currently double what we paid last year.

Edited by kathynorth

I just checked the current rate for the same cruise for the same week in 2014. The cost is currently double what we paid last year.

Ouch!! How on earth can this pricing fluctuate by so much? I can only assume that a company the size of X know what they are doing and it must be working - but how? it is beyond insane. I'll try the strategy in my store tomorrow....... maybe not

We cruise Alaska often, and if you just peek at the current prices for Alaska, with the current promotion, they are very high this year. My speculation was that the price increase was due to the added perks.

Theses price fluctuations are insane, IMO.

Try getting a "Sky Suite" to Alaska these days without taking out a small loan. My previous experience 2 years ago on Century is that we booked a "Suite Guarantee" and got a Sky Suite for basically $200 pp more than the cost of a standard outside verandah.

I think a lot of this has to do with timing and demand. But we booked Alaska this summer on Holland America at a much better price, with a similar drink package.

It's about supply and demand....the TA we booked on as soon as it was open for Spring 2015 had CS stateroom for $3600....same stateroom a month later is $5200 per person:eek:......obviously if they think they can get it they will....

And it has nothing to do with 123 or Pick Your Perk because 2015 TA's aren't eligible for those promos......

Edited by Gracie115

Ouch!! How on earth can this pricing fluctuate by so much? I can only assume that a company the size of X know what they are doing and it must be working - but how? it is beyond insane. I'll try the strategy in my store tomorrow....... maybe not

Celebrity charges $49/night plus gratuity for the classic drink package. On the 11 night cruise for 2 passengers the cost would be $1,239 if my math is correct. When I add my 2013 rate plus the cost of the drink package the total is a lot closer to this year's rate. IMO, my experience supports the notion that the cost of the drink package is compensated for within the higher cruise rate. A patient person can get a deal with the drink promotion if the timing is right, or if they can wait for other "specials" that don't include the drink package.

Edited by kathynorth

We cruise Alaska often, and if you just peek at the current prices for Alaska, with the current promotion, they are very high this year. My speculation was that the price increase was due to the added perks.

Theses price fluctuations are insane, IMO.

Try getting a "Sky Suite" to Alaska these days without taking out a small loan. My previous experience 2 years ago on Century is that we booked a "Suite Guarantee" and got a Sky Suite for basically $200 pp more than the cost of a standard outside verandah.

I think a lot of this has to do with timing and demand. But we booked Alaska this summer on Holland America at a much better price, with a similar drink package.

I dont blame you for shopping around. In my store there is very little customer loyalty these days, price is king, so I have to constantly keep my eye on prices and always do the best deal I can. If X can fill their ships at these prices, then I would love to know how they do it. I imagine the other lines such as HAL/RCI etc will follow suit at some point. The industry certainly is changing and maybe it is simply that the years of cheap cruising has now caught up.

I agree with you. I am hopeful that once PYp expires we might see lower fares for oceanview and above.

Celebrity charges $49/night plus gratuity for the classic drink package. On the 11 night cruise for 2 passengers the cost would be $1,239 if my math is correct. When I add my 2013 rate plus the cost of the drink package the total is a lot closer to this year's rate. IMO, my experience supports the notion that the cost of the drink package is compensated for within the higher cruise rate. A patient person can get a deal with the drink promotion if the timing is right, or if they can wait for other "specials" that don't include the drink package.

Except that the $1239 is your cost for the drink pkg. It costs Celebrity about the same as the OBC & ppd gratuities perk as booze is really cheap for them. So using your example the price should have only gone up about $250.

A previous poster (sorry can't remember who) gave what I thought was the best idea for the price increases. With the 123 promos being so popular, the cabins are filling and supply and demand results in higher fares. I am sure that there will be sales for insides (& OV's?) as they are not eligible for the promo.

Except that the $1239 is your cost for the drink pkg. It costs Celebrity about the same as the OBC & ppd gratuities perk as booze is really cheap for them. So using your example the price should have only gone up about $250

X wont put the price up by $250, if they do, they make no profit on the package but adding $1239 allows them to take out their profit from the package. Going by Kathynorth numbers, they seem to be charging the retail value on top of the cruise price, but of course they get some leeway as not everyone will be using their full quota so can still offer OBC etc. Some clever marketing going on. Initially they were doing it as a hook, but now the bait has been swallowed its payback time.

I just thought I'd chime in to say that I priced my cruise before 123 started last year and the price remained unchanged when the program was finally offered. I booked of course - a 2A balcony.

Fast forward and I now see the cost of my cruise now costing more than it did when I booked, $270 CAD per person actually but I blame this more on supply and demand now as the price did not go up for a while. I also think that the CAD$ is also at play as it has declined since I booked so the different exchange would make the cost higher too. Even that $270 difference doesn't equal what the drink package would have cost me had I decided to purchase if not free.

Either way, it appears hit and miss because in my situation the drink package was definitely a bonus with nothing extra paid to benefit from it. I will be curious to see if the cost of what I booked comes down.

I just want to add that I won't be only enjoying alcohol, I look forward to the specialty coffees too ... all good.