NCL - PLEASE add St. Maarten back to Eastern itineraries!

welove2cruise*

I am not happy at all with the change from St. Maarten to Tortola. I don't mind the Tortola stop at all, but I would MUCH rather go to St. Maarten than St. Thomas. They at least should offer some alternatives for each ship rather than all ships going to the Eastern doing the same itinerary (other than one coming in from NY). I usually plan my winter cruise to make sure I get to St. Maarten at least every other year. Thankfully the Getaway is stopping there in February on our cruise but I am really hoping they add St. Maarten back to the 2017 itineraries or I will be trying another cruise line again.

I am Platinum with NCL and we have been on 35 cruises. St. Maarten has always been one of my favorite places. It is one of the few places that I could go to every year without getting tired of it.

I respectfully disagree. We've been to St. Maarten so many times that we no longer get off the ship. We much prefer to visit new ports.

Last month there were over 20,000 cruise passengers in St. Maarten on the day we were in port. Not exactly the makings of an idyllic Caribbean port stop.

Someone pointed out when this was announced that this could be a major cost cutting decision by NCL. It saves big bucks in fuel by going to Tortola rather than St Maarten.

I love St Maarten and glad I get one of the final stops on Getaway next year.

There is no comparing st marten /st Thomas to Tortola ..... Much different islands. As we are not beach people...we did not love Tortola - great beaches, shacks for shopping, and very few stores(one good spice store) . It was nice to go there, but again no comparison to the other islands, as we love both

Safe sailing

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I switched from a 7-day Getaway to an 8-day Getaway a week later for next year because the additional day was a port stop in St. Maarten and I really wanted to go back there. The itinerary is St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Tortola, and Nassau. I know it's only one cruise, but I thought some people here might want to know about it- November 7, 2015. It looks like Getaway is transitioning to Western Caribbean cruises and will sail on Sundays instead of Saturdays- hence the 8-day for the last of the Eastern Caribbean ones in Fall 2015.

I switched from a 7-day Getaway to an 8-day Getaway a week later for next year because the additional day was a port stop in St. Maarten and I really wanted to go back there. The itinerary is St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Tortola, and Nassau. I know it's only one cruise, but I thought some people here might want to know about it- November 7, 2015. It looks like Getaway is transitioning to Western Caribbean cruises and will sail on Sundays instead of Saturdays- hence the 8-day for the last of the Eastern Caribbean ones in Fall 2015.

That is good to know!!!!!

i will look at that date...was it huge price difference between the 2 weeks?

That is good to know!!!!!

i will look at that date...was it huge price difference between the 2 weeks?

I have a studio cabin booked and the difference was only $50! Not sure about any price difference for the other cabin types, though.

I too am sad that St-Maarten and Samana are out of the itineraries...

I really enjoyed St-Maarten and I loved Samana....I know...I know...but we had arranged for an excursion on our own with TSWT and it was the best thing we did on our 9 days :)

But on the other hand, it is a good thing to explore something new...so many places to go and so little time...

I'm ok with the decision and look forward to exploring new ports.

I am not happy at all with the change from St. Maarten to Tortola. I don't mind the Tortola stop at all, but I would MUCH rather go to St. Maarten than St. Thomas. They at least should offer some alternatives for each ship rather than all ships going to the Eastern doing the same itinerary (other than one coming in from NY). I usually plan my winter cruise to make sure I get to St. Maarten at least every other year. Thankfully the Getaway is stopping there in February on our cruise but I am really hoping they add St. Maarten back to the 2017 itineraries or I will be trying another cruise line again.

I am Platinum with NCL and we have been on 35 cruises. St. Maarten has always been one of my favorite places. It is one of the few places that I could go to every year without getting tired of it.

Do you mind me asking what your favourite thing about the island is? We are heading there in November and as much reading as I have done, I am still stuck on what exactly we should do. We get car sick so I was hesitant about heading out on an inland tour due to windy roads. But I would love to hear about a couple of favourite things to do...

Thank you

I respectfully disagree. We've been to St. Maarten so many times that we no longer get off the ship. We much prefer to visit new ports.

Last month there were over 20,000 cruise passengers in St. Maarten on the day we were in port. Not exactly the makings of an idyllic Caribbean port stop.

I have to agree with this. If you are a shopping enthusiast, then yes, Tortola might be a disappointment when compared to St. Maarten. However, there are several things to do that are amazing on Tortola that are wonderful. Tortola is largely unspoiled commercially (at least so far) and there are tons of things to see if you like natural beauty.

1.) The Baths at Virgin Gorda. This is one of the most beautiful places in the Eastern Caribbean and is always a nice place to visit if you are in Tortola ... A quick ferry ride and you are there! There are ships excursions as well as private excursions that will take you there.

2.) Callwood Distillery and Cane Garden Bay - Here's a good day trip on Tortola that won't cost an arm and a leg! Cane Garden Bay is a very nice beach in it's own accord, and located directly across the street is the Callwood Distillery, a 300 year old rum distillery where they make Arundel rum. This rum is NOT exported, and is a local treasure. If you are lucky enough to visit there and try some of the 10 year aged rum you will not find a better rum anywhere. Tax and duty free, it's also quite reasonable cost wise, and the people that work at the distillery are great. It's easy to get to Cane Garden Bay by taxi (you don't need a ships excursion) and taxi's run from there to the pier almost continuously!

St Maarten is such a nice stop. Get off the ship, grab the water taxi to town. Grab an umbrella and a couple of chairs and a bucket of beer. Get tired of laying on the beach? Get up and do some shopping directly behind you. Head back to the ship for lunch and then take the water taxi again and head to the beach in town. Repeat the morning's activities. What a great way to spend a day.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

The NCL/Tortola agreement calls for a new shopping area. No more tent shacks. I think it will be great. St Maartin is a pain for people with disabilities. Getting to the shopping area with a scooter is terrible.

Oh boy, another strip center shopping experience in the Caribbean. :(

I agree with swapping out St Thomas instead! I much prefer St Martin - but I am looking forward to getting back to tortola!

I have to agree with this. If you are a shopping enthusiast, then yes, Tortola might be a disappointment when compared to St. Maarten. However, there are several things to do that are amazing on Tortola that are wonderful. Tortola is largely unspoiled commercially (at least so far) and there are tons of things to see if you like natural beauty.

1.) The Baths at Virgin Gorda. This is one of the most beautiful places in the Eastern Caribbean and is always a nice place to visit if you are in Tortola ... A quick ferry ride and you are there! There are ships excursions as well as private excursions that will take you there.

2.) Callwood Distillery and Cane Garden Bay - Here's a good day trip on Tortola that won't cost an arm and a leg! Cane Garden Bay is a very nice beach in it's own accord, and located directly across the street is the Callwood Distillery, a 300 year old rum distillery where they make Arundel rum. This rum is NOT exported, and is a local treasure. If you are lucky enough to visit there and try some of the 10 year aged rum you will not find a better rum anywhere. Tax and duty free, it's also quite reasonable cost wise, and the people that work at the distillery are great. It's easy to get to Cane Garden Bay by taxi (you don't need a ships excursion) and taxi's run from there to the pier almost continuously!

Ooooh saving #2! This sounds like a great plan!

Do you mind me asking what your favourite thing about the island is? We are heading there in November and as much reading as I have done, I am still stuck on what exactly we should do. We get car sick so I was hesitant about heading out on an inland tour due to windy roads. But I would love to hear about a couple of favourite things to do...

Thank you

A couple of things..first I admit that I am a shopping enthusiast! I love shopping there and have a favorite jewelry store we frequent. We also find great deals on souvenirs there. They sell decent quality tote bags for around $3.

Second..the beach is right there in front of the Main Street and last time we were there I think you got two chairs, an umbrella and 6 beers for $20. Perfect way to wrap the day.

We have also taken tours to the French side of the island and that was nice as well, but our favorite thing is that it is a leisurely day in a beautiful setting that it very easy to get around. There are ferries that take you from the dock to the town and stop at one of the two ends so you can choose where to begin and end.

I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Also, as I mentioned in my first post.. I agree that Tortola is nice and I wouldn't mind going back there. I just would like them to replace St. Thomas with St. Maarten. The last time we were in St. Thomas it was so littered and so much traffic that it was not pleasant. It has changed immensely since we began cruising almost 25 years ago. Gosh.. I just shocked myself in thinking how many years since our first cruise. ;)

St Maarten is such a nice stop. Get off the ship, grab the water taxi to town. Grab an umbrella and a couple of chairs and a bucket of beer. Get tired of laying on the beach? Get up and do some shopping directly behind you. Head back to the ship for lunch and then take the water taxi again and head to the beach in town. Repeat the morning's activities. What a great way to spend a day.

Agree 100%. St. Maarten is one of our favorites!

A couple of things..first I admit that I am a shopping enthusiast! I love shopping there and have a favorite jewelry store we frequent. We also find great deals on souvenirs there. They sell decent quality tote bags for around $3.

Second..the beach is right there in front of the Main Street and last time we were there I think you got two chairs, an umbrella and 6 beers for $20. Perfect way to wrap the day.

We have also taken tours to the French side of the island and that was nice as well, but our favorite thing is that it is a leisurely day in a beautiful setting that it very easy to get around. There are ferries that take you from the dock to the town and stop at one of the two ends so you can choose where to begin and end.

I hope you have a wonderful trip!

I hope we do to! Its going to be interesting. From what I read, I didn't think I would like it. What town do you take the boat to? I thought I had read that there wasn't too much in the little town where the ship actually docks.