Baltic Cruises 2015

kiltyjock

Hi have a special birthday coming up next June and have always wanted to visit Russia. So I thought a Baltic Cruise visiting perhaps, Stockholm, St Petersburg,Copenhagen, maybe Gothenburg and some other ports such as Tallin.

We have cruised before in the Caribbean and the Med, but don't relish the long drive from Scotland to Southampton, does anyone know of any Fly Cruise options for this destination maybe starting in Amsterdam or Copenhagen.

Thanks fingers crossed.

KJ

Many cruise lines operate out of those ports- all the big names. Do you have a cruise line preference? If so, look up their schedules on their websites.

The Fly/Cruise option may or may not be the best option for you, every time. I would start by looking at the schedules, then see what options pop up on the flying part.

Edited by CruiserBruce

HAL does cruises out of the Netherlands- sorry, can't remember if it's Amsterdam or Rotterdam. We've flown to A/dam in less than an hour from Newcastle.

(A HAL ship visits Scotland on one of its cruises each year, either S.Queensferry or Greenock, and you can ask for a day visit- this year happening at Greenock, for £10, including a great lunch. Ask a TA or email HAL if you're interested in doing a tour. We've done this, and may do it this year.)

Costa and MSC sail from Amsterdam, and I know the Costa one goes to the Baltic....also I believe there's a Celebrity stationed there.

We took a Baltic cruise a few yeas ago and enjoyed it thoroughly. We sailed on Princess RT out of Copenhagen.

One thing I insisted on is a ship the stopped in Oslo-not all cruises do. But, to miss the sculptures in Frogner Park, the ski jump and the Viking museum would be a shame.

I have posted the story and pictures on our website.

We are always happy to answer any questions.

• 3 months later...
Having survived the 49-day cruise around S. America, our next cruise is the Baltic. We leave from Copenhagen on Aug. 31 2015, end in New York 26 days later. Maybe this is a good one for you too!

Telling what cruiseline/ship you are sailing on would probably be helpful to the OP.

Princess is Copenhagen to Copenhagen. Celebrity is Amsterdam to Amsterdam. That was our choice. If you want more than two days in St Petersburg, Royal Caribbean offers that, but I'm not sure which ship does that out of which port.

Princess is Copenhagen to Copenhagen. Celebrity is Amsterdam to Amsterdam. That was our choice. If you want more than two days in St Petersburg, Royal Caribbean offers that, but I'm not sure which ship does that out of which port.

HAL also does CPT to CPT, but occasionally throws in sailing out of England and AMS.

Add at least one line which offers cruises from Oslo, sorry don't remember which.

But Copenhagen or Amsterdam (probably not Rotterdam) are much more worthy of a couple of hotel days pre-cruise or post-cruise - make it pre-cruise if arranging your own flights.

All those sailings are likely to include a lot of other languages & cultures, which can be a limitation on mixing with other passengers and involve multi-language announcements & possibly either limited English-speaking or multi-lingual excursions, though no personal Baltic experience other than from Southampton. Sailings from Southampton or Dover or Harwich are predominantly English-speaking, a language quite similar to your own :p

Re St Petersburg, most ships are there 2 days (ie one ovenite). A few for 3 days /2 nights. But some, including some of the RCI cruises, are only a one-day visit - and that would be very disappointing cos St Pete's is the jewel in any Baltic cruise and a single day is nowhere near long enough.

Beware Costa's port times. Don't know about Baltic but on Med cruises they include a lot of half-day only.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

I did a Baltic cruise this past June and we went on Crystal. We started in Copenhagen, ended in Stockholm, with overnights in both cities. We spent 3 full days in St. Petersburg. Crystal is one of the few lines that spends 3 days. Some of the ships that we saw along the way: HAL Eurodam, Princess Cruises, Royal Caribbean - had 2 ships, P & O, Costa - had 2 ships, SilverSea, Norwegian Star.

Check the itineraries for some of the above. A lot depends on how long you want to cruise, if you want a round trip or are okay with starting / stopping in different ports, how many days you want in St. Petersburg, etc.

It was a wonderful cruise. Good luck with your planning.