Popping off the ship on embarkation day

samchico

Can we leave the ship after check in for a little last min shopping after we have checked in at Canada Place? Is this allowed?

TIA Samantha

Sure. Just make sure you keep your Sign & Sail card with you. It serves as your boarding pass. You'll need to go through the security screening (again) at the port and have your purchases scanned prior to re-boarding. Just make sure you get back in time.;)

The reference to getting back in time is critical - and not just for the obvious of not missing the ship.

Most cruise lines have a requirement that you board by 90 minutes prior to original departure (which I don't think changes even if you already are confirmed on the manifest) and in time for muster, which on most cruise lines is also mandatory and prior to departure.

Check on board before you leave to confirm these times.

I guess you could but I wouldn't bother with it. But I hate standing in lines. You'd have to clear security and such again if you boarded and left.

Why not just board later in the day if you want to see the city? Any decent hotel with a bell staff will hold your luggage for you of you've spent the night. Just pop back to the hotel for your bags after sightseeing.

Alternatively, if you don't have a hotel, just go to the port to drop of your luggage with the porters and then go sightseeing. That way you're still free of bags but only have to clear security once.

Clearing it twice will only sap more of your already limited time. For me, once I'm on board there's no leaving!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clearing it twice will only sap more of your already limited time. For me, once I'm on board there's no leaving!

I was going to say the same thing. If you leave the ship, you're going to find yourself waiting in a VERY long line to reboard, and just walking up the gangplank takes time. Boarding and then leaving will be a waste of time.

Two plans that would be better:

- If you have to check out of your pre-cruise hotel room, have the front desk hold your luggage for an hour or two so you can walk around town a bit. They don't charge for this, and it's safe.

- Bring your luggage to the port, put it into the hands of the porters, then leave and do your sightseeing.

• 5 months later...

- Bring your luggage to the port, put it into the hands of the porters, then leave and do your sightseeing.

How early can I drop my luggage off? 6 hours before departure?

I am flying in 9 hours prior to the departure time... so allowing for time at airport and traveling to the port, I reckon I have 6 hours before it leaves!

Should I find a left luggage in town and sight-see ... or am I able to drop them off that early at the port?

Thanks!

Can we leave the ship after check in for a little last min shopping after we have checked in at Canada Place? Is this allowed?

TIA Samantha

It is allowed but realize when you return you will likely be in another long line to get through customs.

Keith

True, but the last answers were to blackcatgirl, who asked them yesterday. EM

Yes, Keith the answer was to blackcat girl but he quoted samchico so it really seems he was answering directly answering her.

Edited by iheartbda

The main reason why I arrive to the city before my cruise is to do all the sightseeing I want to do before and then get to the cruise and get my bearings before we sail away.

I would much rather arrive as early as possible after having a leisurely breakfast and then get a ride to the port.

• 4 weeks later...

Really appreciate all the replies. Very useful information for a newbie!

On the last day, is it possible to leave luggage at the port for 6 hours before collecting it and going off to the airport, or... do I need to collect it and place it in a left luggage place in the city centre instead?

• 1 month later...

Super-

I have cruised many time before and believe I am going to have to lower my expectations a be for this upcoming trip. I would love any tips you may have that you wish someone shared with you before going. We are not planning to book any excursion through Costa because of the reviews. I was wondering if you noticed companies offering excursions in the docking area once you disembarked. This was been very common on other cruises I have taken. Did you have a favorite port or hear about something you wish you would have tried? OK lastly- will I need a travel converter for the electricity?

Thanks so much for sharing.

Firstly – some positives! The ship is lovely. The cabin I had (an inside single cabin) was great – good size, clean and had everything I needed.

You will need a travel converter – it is Italian / European 2-socket. Note – I only found one socket to use in the cabin, so bring a method to convert that one socket to multiple if you need more than one! Secondly, the socket is really near to the desk/table surface, so a small converter plug is necessary else it will not fit! I took an extension 4-way plug strip to plug into a standard ‘cheap’ travel plug and was glad I did! My travel plug with two usb sockets in the top did not fit into the socket due to the desk surface being in the way.

There was a hairdryer in the cabin – and a reasonably powerful one too compared to some hotels I’ve stayed in, so no need to bring one with you. The shower gel was a good quality – but I wouldn’t use it on my hair (so took my own shampoo).

Barcelona – where I embarked and disembarked, had a port bus for only 3 euros to the bottom of the Rambles. From there, it was easy to pick up the hop on and off bus, or get the L1 metro into the city centre (Place de Catalunya or Diagonal (for Casa Battlo and Casa Pedera)). The Parc Guell was a long hike uphill from the tube and I “saw it all” in about 20 minutes stroll… so wasn’t worth the effort in my opinion.

Whilst I remember - If you need a transfer to the airport from Barcelona, it was cheaper to get the port bus into the city, and then get a rank taxi to the airport (there was a fixed price from the port to airport for 39 euros and was far cheaper to get a rank taxi!).

Palma - I did a hop on an off sightseeing bus independent of Costa at Palma, Mallorca. This stopped right next to the port and thus you don’t need the 10 euro transfer shuttle bus into the city centre if that is what you want to use to sightsee. Else – 10 euros shuttle bus from Costa will take you right into the old town and drop you near very near to the Cathedral (which is definitely worth a look!).

Naples – be prepared for Pompeii and/or Herculaneum trips to be cancelled at short notice. Staff at both sites are prone to strikes and thus with only a short stop in the port, Costa may cancel these trips. Solfatara is worth seeing if you haven’t seen it before – and the trip by Costa wasn’t bad to be honest!

La Spezia – It was possible to stroll into the town/city from the ship using a passenger bridge from the port which took you near a round cathedral and the main high street of shops. The town looked ok – but I was on a trip to Lucca so didn’t walk around it personally. Again, I enjoyed the trip to Lucca, and although pricey, the guide in Lucca was good and it included the costs of going inside the cathedral there.

Savona – I cannot remember how far away from the town the ship docked sadly. I jumped on the Genoa aquarium and boat trip Costa tour. This was my favourite organised tour as I’d never been in an aquarium before and it was enormous!

Marseille – Costa stung you for 13 euros for a bus into the city centre/ old port area. There was a public bus number 35 you could have got for a fraction of that cost, and it was only a short walk from the port. Google will show you maps of where the bus stops are near to the cruise port terminal/gate 4. Again, I chose to do the hop on and off bus independent to Costa. I can also recommend a ferry trip to the islands which was only about 10 euros. There was a castle on one island (which was shut on Mondays) and the other island (Frioul?) looked lovely – a nature/bird sanctuary and beautifully peaceful and quiet to stroll around.

Hope that helps – anything else, just ask!

One small warning about leaving the ship after embarkation.

Just because it was allowed last time someone used that post it might not be when you travel, a lot of securtiy is changing due to world events:(

Whittier15 if you'd like, PM me your address I can post you some hop-on-off bus info from Marseille and from Palma, and also info about the islands off Marseille.

I can also email scanned information given by Costa each day I was aboard the Diadema - re what's on and the small amount of info from each port.

GUT2407 - very good point. I travelled over Christmas and before all the security heightening in recent times