Opting out of the auto tip

For this to really work there would have to be some pretty sophisticated tip allocation methods at work - I can't imagine any cruise line would go so far with it. Probably the bottom line is - if you get tips, report it, and if you get a lot of them, you'll get some back to keep.

Right, that was my point. The other poster claimed that if you opt out of auto gratuities and tip in cash, then the employee would have to report that money to be put into the "pool" unless it was above the auto gratuity amount. They stated that any amount above the autogratuity amount was theirs to keep. I also couldn't see how this could ever be tracked.

The cruise lines probably have "undercover tippers" dropping $20's or $100's around just to see what happens...if anyone has seen those folks around, please let us know!

Could be. Nothing would surprise me.

LMAO, you can't be serious:rolleyes::eek:

Windjammer was new for Sovereign class ships which debuted 1987/1988 and it wasn't until the 1990's that the second and third of the class arrived. RCI had been sailing for two decades at that point. Make of that fun fact what you will.

Now, whether you want to take my point of view as serious or not, that's entirely up to you. :cool:

Since you have such intimate knowledge of the internal workings regarding tips, etc, I have a question because I can't figure out how this is supposed to work. So let's say I leave my auto-gratuity as it is and then I want to give a particular server an additional tip. Suppose I just put some money in an envelope and on the final night at dinner I hand it to him/her along with the other 9 people at my table. You stated before that they could keep the tip amount above the auto tip, correct. So how do they know which tips were from which person and whether they auto tipped or not? So what if one of the other people at the table opted out of auto-gratuity and also handed them an envelope? I just don't see how they would be expected to keep track of who gave them what. I am sure they have to report all of their tips for tax purposes and for RC bookkeeping regarding an employee tip credit but not a rundown of what room gave them what.

Do you really think the crew report all cash tips? I doubt that. And what tax authority? Bahamas?

Some of those "along the way" cash tips most assuredly leave the ship as quickly as they came at the next port of call that crew gets some time off. It's not like the staff gets a shakedown and security rifles through their stuff looking for cash.

And even if the staff "do know"...look, not everyone is walking around wearing name tags. This stuff is way more critical on CC than in practice.

Do you really think the crew report all cash tips? I doubt that. And what tax authority? Bahamas?

Some of those "along the way" cash tips most assuredly leave the ship as quickly as they came at the next port of call that crew gets some time off. It's not like the staff gets a shakedown and security rifles through their stuff looking for cash.

And even if the staff "do know"...look, not everyone is walking around wearing name tags. This stuff is way more critical on CC than in practice.

Bahamas has no income tax.

Now, whether you want to take my point of view as serious or not, that's entirely up to you. :cool:

Nope, sorry

SOA built 1982

Deck 10

10.Compass deck - Lido bar, swimming pools, Lido buffét restaurant, sundeck[8]

Nope, sorry

SOA built 1982

Deck 10

10.Compass deck - Lido bar, swimming pools, Lido buffét restaurant, sundeck[8]

Interesting. I am not certain any lido buffets were dinner areas before Windjammers. I could be wrong. Someone who may have sailed SOA in the early to mid 1980's might know.

When I take a dump in a public bathroom on the ship, I leave a one dollar bill on the toilet seat. Don't you?

Whenever I pass a "crew only" door, I open it and toss some one dollar bills in.

I love this threads. It is like watching Cirque Du Soleil, watching the tip removing brigade twist themselves in knots justifying their cheap behavior.

Getting a refill on my soda and popcorn, I LOVE these threads!!!!

lol

rofl

No, I do not. But that is irrelevant to the point I was making.I was responding to another poster who said the crew must report all tips at threat of being fired. Their point was supposed to be that if you opt out of auto gratuities and give the crew the cash, it doesn't make any difference because they would have to report it and it would then be taken and put into the "pool" anyway so what would be the point of opting out of auto gratuities. I was refuting this info by pointing out the same basic points that you are making. The poster also stated that the crew member could keep the money above the auto=gratuity amount and I was questioning how they thought that be determined. Whether it was above the amount.

The comment I made about reporting tips has to do with the fact that they are probably supposed to report tips. I wanted the poster I was talking to to understand I was not arguing whether they do or not, just that I don't see how reporting tips would let anyone know whether the tips came from someone who paid auto gratuities or from someone who opted out.

I don't know how it works on a cruiseline with employees who get part of their income from tips. On "land" at places like restaurants etc. companies usually need their employees to report tips so that the company can pay below minimum wage by getting a tip credit. The IRS has been instituting a number of changes concerning how that is handled.

Not well!

The dining room would have multitudes of empty tables on the final night as those who were stiffing the staff (i.e. not tipping) ate in the Windjammer.:mad:

Really? Auto tipping has been in place for what, something like 2 years? I don't recall any issues before that with RCI having difficulty recruiting and retaining staff for their ships. That would indicate to me that things might have been somewhat better than "not well" for the crew. But, of course, some passengers seem to have the inside scoop on the economics of RCI's employees. I don't happen to be one of those passengers so maybe I am wrong.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Really? Auto tipping has been in place for what, something like 2 years? I don't recall any issues before that with RCI having difficulty recruiting and retaining staff for their ships. That would indicate to me that things might have been somewhat better than "not well" for the crew. But, of course, some passengers seem to have the inside scoop on the economics of RCI's employees. I don't happen to be one of those passengers so maybe I am wrong.

I believe that post was supposed to be sarcasm. I'm surprised how many people took it literally...

We've always been advised (by American friends and colleagues) that in the US the waiting staff are paid very little and the tips make up a large part of their money. But more importantly, the tips go to the specific server, certainly not pooled like the cruise. Have we been misinformed?

I think that is correct BUT the server in some cases is required to 'tip out' or share their tips with people like the bus boy, bar staff etc. so it kind of creates a tipping pool scenario anyway.

It really amazes me how everyone still gets caught up in these threads. Just answer the OP's question and move on. Does everything have to turn into a fight or a mocking scenario?

Edited by kingsgirl

I believe that post was supposed to be sarcasm. I'm surprised how many people took it literally...

Maybe. But I've read enough of these threads. I suspect that there was no sarcastic intent at all.

Edited by Ocean Boy

It really amazes me how everyone still gets caught up in these threads. Just answer the OP's question and move on. Does everything have to turn into a fight or a mocking scenario?

i agree. lol its drama in here . dress code, tipping, lounge chairs. geez just enjoy people , thats what its all about, dont sweat the small stuff.

I agree, but they are like a good car wreck, I just cant look away.

I have been around these threads quite a bit, some go quite well....the match was lit about two posts in when someone said the tips were "a lot of money"....for six people....on a ten day cruise.

That was the match that lit the bomb....

Yes, really!

Otherwise, please explain all the empty seats in the MDR on the final night of the cruise. Oh I know, they were all packing. Not!

Did it occur to you that people are 'partying' their last night and don't want to waste time in the dining room? I believe there alot of people that do this.

Yes, really!

Otherwise, please explain all the empty seats in the MDR on the final night of the cruise. Oh I know, they were all packing. Not!

See, I told you that he was serious and not being sarcastic.

Yes, really!

We rarely go to the MDR on the last night for the simple reason that IMO normally that is the worst menu of the week.

Yes, really!

I don't have to explain it. I don't take attendence in the dining room. I don't notice what is going on in the dining room. Heck, I don't even use the MDR.

We rarely go to the MDR on the last night for the simple reason that IMO normally that is the worst menu of the week.

ahh this could be it, i had a tough time deciding the choices i didnt really care for any.