Rotterdam or Prinsendam to Norway after Eurodam last year

syesmar

I originally posted a similar thread in the Ports of Call board. Since I haven’t had any responses, thought I might find more success here.

Hi,

I have some questions about the Rotterdam and Prinsendam and their Norway itineraries. I have sailed with HAL annually since 2007. I sailed on the Prinsendam 5 years ago, but never on the Rotterdam. Last year, I was aboard the Eurodam for the first time and enjoyed a FABULOUS cruise of Norway, Highlands and the Kiel Canal. LOVED this ship! I’m weighing my options for this year and I like the itineraries for the Rotterdam’s and Prinsendam’s cruises to Norway. Last year, we went as far north as Alesund; the Rotterdam itinerary I’m considering goes to North Cape and the Prinsendam also goes to the Polar Ice Cap.

Question 1: Would it be worth partially repeating some of the Norwegian ports of call to go further north into Norway? Meaning, is the scenery to the north of Alesund as spectacular as it was in places like Alesund, Skjolden and Sognefjord? (I would love to see those places again). I’ve never been to the northern ports of Molde, Trondheim, Tromso, Honningsvag, Longyearbyen, Magdalenafjord, and Ny-Alesundin. Additionally, they go to Kristiansand, Geiranger, Stavenger and Flam which I did not visit last year.

Question 2 (the main issue): Although we booked an interior room on the Eurodam, there were plenty of open spaces to observe the scenery that we never felt ‘cramped’, even with so many people aboard. I know the Rotterdam is much smaller and certainly the Prinsendam. If we didn’t have a balcony room on these ships, would there be enough outdoor areas to observe the fjords and scenery as we sail? (We have been sailed aboard the Ryndam twice. For those who’ve sailed both the Ryndam and Rotterdam, feel free to make comparisons). Our previous sailing on the Prinsendam was not so focused on scenic cruising as this one would be; I would be appreciative of those who have done such an itinerary to give an honest assessment of outdoor spaces for viewing scenery.

THANKS!

I originally posted a similar thread in the Ports of Call board. Since I haven’t had any responses, thought I might find more success here.

Hi,

I have some questions about the Rotterdam and Prinsendam and their Norway itineraries. I have sailed with HAL annually since 2007. I sailed on the Prinsendam 5 years ago, but never on the Rotterdam. Last year, I was aboard the Eurodam for the first time and enjoyed a FABULOUS cruise of Norway, Highlands and the Kiel Canal. LOVED this ship! I’m weighing my options for this year and I like the itineraries for the Rotterdam’s and Prinsendam’s cruises to Norway. Last year, we went as far north as Alesund; the Rotterdam itinerary I’m considering goes to North Cape and the Prinsendam also goes to the Polar Ice Cap.

Question 1: Would it be worth partially repeating some of the Norwegian ports of call to go further north into Norway? Meaning, is the scenery to the north of Alesund as spectacular as it was in places like Alesund, Skjolden and Sognefjord? (I would love to see those places again). I’ve never been to the northern ports of Molde, Trondheim, Tromso, Honningsvag, Longyearbyen, Magdalenafjord, and Ny-Alesundin. Additionally, they go to Kristiansand, Geiranger, Stavenger and Flam which I did not visit last year.

Question 2 (the main issue): Although we booked an interior room on the Eurodam, there were plenty of open spaces to observe the scenery that we never felt ‘cramped’, even with so many people aboard. I know the Rotterdam is much smaller and certainly the Prinsendam. If we didn’t have a balcony room on these ships, would there be enough outdoor areas to observe the fjords and scenery as we sail? (We have been sailed aboard the Ryndam twice. For those who’ve sailed both the Ryndam and Rotterdam, feel free to make comparisons). Our previous sailing on the Prinsendam was not so focused on scenic cruising as this one would be; I would be appreciative of those who have done such an itinerary to give an honest assessment of outdoor spaces for viewing scenery.

THANKS!

tons of open spaces on the Prinsendam and the Ryndam - I would say more than the Rotterdam for sure - especially when you compare the number of people and the space.

There is much more public space, viewing space on both the Prinsendam and the Ryndam in my opinon (or any S class ship) than there is on the Rotterdam. JMO though. haven't been on the Ryndam but I have been on her sister ship a couple of times and definitely have been on the other two.

Edited by kazu

An unequivocal YES. This was my first cruise ever back in the 70s and it was magical. Geirangerfjord is amazing The Lofeten Islands astounding. Tromso and Trondheim are fascinating towns and the North Cape, while just tundra, is a worthwhile experience.

We did Norway on Eurodam last year and are planning to do the 2 week trip on Ryndam in 2015.

I'd pick Prinsendam as she can get in closer than the other ships. We missed a port on our Eurodam trip because EUDM couldn't get under a new bridge. Also Prinsendam is the sister ship of my first Norway cruise ship, The Royal Viking Sea. You will love her.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback. All the itineraries are so wonderful, and I just wondered how the scenic journey would be on the other ships after such an amazing experience on the beautiful Eurodam. Really appreciate your thoughts!

(note to sppunk: we will most likely make the journey this summer, thanks & have a great time!)

I have been all the way up and down the Norway coast more times than I can count---probably about 10 cruises of various lengths there. It never gets old. Every port, every day of scenic cruising there, is different---if only because the weather is so changeable. Seeing the Polar Ice Cap is a real kick. So few people ever cruise there!

I would highly recommend the Prinsendam if you are looking for plenty of viewing areas. If you want to swim, do know that both pools are outdoors, and it gets cold up there, though.

We've been to the Polar Ice Cap on the Prinsendam. Wonderful cruise and the ship never felt crowded. However, some of the insides on that ship are small. We really liked our cabin arrangement. Having the sofa near the window was great. Not having the sun set for 4-5 days was interesting. My vote would be wholeheartedly for the Prinsendam.

One more vote for the Prinsendam. In 2011 I sailed the Rotterdam transatlantic and connected to the Prinsendam North Cape 4 days later and the Prinsendam as the ship was my favorite hands down.

Roy