san francisco customs

brianmarx

San Francisco is our port of choice, and we have found immigration and customs to be a snap. Several days before the end of the cruise you will fill out the customs form and turn it in. Then on the morning of disembarkation you walk off the ship in turn, pick up your bags and go. Much easier than any other port.

On the April 13th sailing of the Grand Princess to Hawaii roundtrip San Francisco, we turned our custom forms into the cabin steward and just walked off the ship on disembarkation day (April 28th). We never even had to show our passports. They were conducting immigration onboard in by theatre for those that, I assume, were not US citizens. They were to calling individual passenger names to report for that by the time that we disembarked shortly after 9:00. It was one of the easiest disembarkations that I have experienced. There was a bit of a line to get to the bags, but it moved quickly.

On the April 13th sailing of the Grand Princess to Hawaii roundtrip San Francisco, we turned our custom forms into the cabin steward and just walked off the ship on disembarkation day (April 28th). We never even had to show our passports. They were conducting immigration onboard in by theatre for those that, I assume, were not US citizens. They were to calling individual passenger names to report for that by the time that we disembarked shortly after 9:00. It was one of the easiest disembarkations that I have experienced. There was a bit of a line to get to the bags, but it moved quickly.

We were on the same cruise and it was a non-issue, and we turned in our forms a full day late at Guest Services...oops!

reading older posts disembarking in san francisco was a nitemare due to customs Any new info about clearing customs in frisco

This may occur if the ship is arriving in San Francisco as the first USA port after coming from South America.

This may occur if the ship is arriving in San Francisco as the first USA port after coming from South America.
Right. If the cruise is disembarking after an Alaskan or Hawaiian cruise, chances are it won't be a big deal. Repositioning from South America is a whole 'nuther story, of which legends (of the nightmare kind) are made.

Right. If the cruise is disembarking after an Alaskan or Hawaiian cruise, chances are it won't be a big deal. Repositioning from South America is a whole 'nuther story, of which legends (of the nightmare kind) are made.

Most long term members...or people with good search techniques...will ever forget that story! :eek:

I lived it, as did Caribill. It was in a word, awful.

And we were on the next cruise, and the embarkation was just as awful (with the ship departing 5 hours late). It also has been well documented here...

Yikes, now I'm wondering if our flight at 1pm is too early :confused:

You don't say what your plans are from getting from the Terminal to the airport or what cruise you will be on. If your using the Princess you will be OK as they plan the time you leave to get you to the airport in time. If you plan to do walk off you can leave early if you want.

I have cruised from SF several times and as other people have said it is easy leaving from San Francisco. On my Hawaii cruise last December we had to go through immigration early in the morning when we arrived in Ensenada.

If they offer you EZ Check and you use it you will receive your Boarding Pass and airline tags for your luggage in advance so you don't see your luggage until you arrive at your home airport plus your already checked in . For $20 it's well worth it to not be jugging your bags around.

Tom:)

How is embarkation in San Francisco? We are sailing on the Star Hawaiian round trip cruise in December, and I've heard stories about being prevented from entering the terminal, slow customs, etc. Of course, we will be sailing from the new SF cruise terminal (yay!) that opens in November, but still, I'd appreciate hearing the experience, as I'm sure the personnel will be the same.

reading older posts disembarking in san francisco was a nitemare due to customs Any new info about clearing customs in frisco

How is embarkation in San Francisco? We are sailing on the Star Hawaiian round trip cruise in December, and I've heard stories about being prevented from entering the terminal, slow customs, etc. Of course, we will be sailing from the new SF cruise terminal (yay!) that opens in November, but still, I'd appreciate hearing the experience, as I'm sure the personnel will be the same.

Yes this is what the OP asked as well.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I have cruised from SF twice with NO problems either boarding or disembarking. On my December Hawaii Cruise we went through customs when the ship arrived in Ensenada.

I've also done several BVE's along with cruises and have never had any problems, knock on wood.

If you want to board earlier, around 11am, have some friends sign up for the BVE, Bon Voyage Experience, and have your reservations linked together. You will all get a short tour of the ship, a boarding photo, free for your friends plus they will get a FREE glass of wine in the MDR. The $39 that they paid will be given back to them as a credit if the book a cruise with Princess so in essence it's FREE when the book another cruise.

Boarding time started around noon so we'll all see what happens with the new terminal.

Edited by trbarton

You don't say what your plans are from getting from the Terminal to the airport or what cruise you will be on. If your using the Princess you will be OK as they plan the time you leave to get you to the airport in time. If you plan to do walk off you can leave early if you want.

I have cruised from SF several times and as other people have said it is easy leaving from San Francisco. On my Hawaii cruise last December we had to go through immigration early in the morning when we arrived in Ensenada.

If they offer you EZ Check and you use it you will receive your Boarding Pass and airline tags for your luggage in advance so you don't see your luggage until you arrive at your home airport plus your already checked in . For $20 it's well worth it to not be jugging your bags around.

We are coming off a coastal voyage on the star from vancouver to SF with a stop in Victoria (hence, no pre-clearance in vancouver). We plan to take bart to the airport and have indicated our flight time on the personalizer.

We are coming off a coastal voyage on the star from vancouver to SF with a stop in Victoria (hence, no pre-clearance in vancouver). We plan to take bart to the airport and have indicated our flight time on the personalizer.

What is BART?

If you do walk off early and can manage luggage take the MUNI "F" line which is the old historic street cars that goes down the Embarcadero and stop at the Hyatt Regency which is the first stop for BART. Wait for the train that says SF Airport.

The stop for the "F" line is directly across from the terminal.

The muni cost is $.75 for seniors and $2.00 for adults not senior. Remember that you need exact change for MUNI.

I was told before by one of the officers that you can get off as early as 7:30 am as long you walk off with your luggage.

Any other questions email me at trbarton743@aol.com.

Also the new SF cruise terminal is opening soon (late august 2014 I believe) so things may change again. That said, we've done 2 cruises RT to SFO and had good experiences both times. E.g. under 15 minutes on and off both times.