Free Drinks Package

lexdisic

Oceania Cruises are sold and promoted very differently in the United Kingdom.

United States Pricing does not apply to British passengers, and neither does the free airfare deal or most of the other promotions that we see.

It isn't surprising that their marketing does not apply to us.

Maybe it isn't surprising to you, but it is to me. Money is money. Do they want less Americans traveling or more diversity? Am I being dense here? I really don't understand a marketing technique that is beneficial to one country over another.

Not only did we (in the UK) not get the email when I look online at one of the cruises which was one we had been looking at there is no mention of the offer either???:confused:

Maybe it isn't surprising to you, but it is to me. Money is money. Do they want less Americans traveling or more diversity? Am I being dense here? I really don't understand a marketing technique that is beneficial to one country over another.

Different nationalities have different preferences for instance, short Caribbean cruises suit the US market, but for the UK it is too far to travel for a few days, so the marketing will be directed at the US and not us. Likewise the short Med cruises may sell better here because its easier and cheaper for us to get there compared to the US. I imagine the Australians will have their own marketing directed at them to suit their style of cruising and area. Oceania wont care who they sell to, they will just maximise the marketing to the area they are sailing in and to the people who would prefer to sail in that area. Princess are in on the act by dedicating one of their ships to the Japanese market by refurbishing it to resemble Japanese way of life - hence they have over 90% Japanese passengers - no use marketing to anyone else in that instance.

Not only did we (in the UK) not get the email when I look online at one of the cruises which was one we had been looking at there is no mention of the offer either???:confused:

How did the prices compare? Did they increase the price on the e-mail to then take it off with the freebies compared to online?

Different nationalities have different preferences for instance, short Caribbean cruises suit the US market, but for the UK it is too far to travel for a few days, so the marketing will be directed at the US and not us. Likewise the short Med cruises may sell better here because its easier and cheaper for us to get there compared to the US. I imagine the Australians will have their own marketing directed at them to suit their style of cruising and area. Oceania wont care who they sell to, they will just maximise the marketing to the area they are sailing in and to the people who would prefer to sail in that area. Princess are in on the act by dedicating one of their ships to the Japanese market by refurbishing it to resemble Japanese way of life - hence they have over 90% Japanese passengers - no use marketing to anyone else in that instance.

How interesting!! Which Princess ship is that??? Our DD works for Princess and we had not heard about that marketing situation!! LuAnn

Princess has moved the Diamond and Sapphire Princess to home port in the Asian market.....there are many threads on the Princess board concerning how the new "atmosphere" is working...It does not sound like it has been very successful for US/English speaking clients but that is not the market they are going for..

How interesting!! Which Princess ship is that??? Our DD works for Princess and we had not heard about that marketing situation!! LuAnn

The Diamond has been refitted to make it exclusively for the Japanese market including the staff. As Basor says, the English speaking PAX have a hard time - facilities - announcements japanese first etc Unless you speak the language, I would think you would be very much on your own

Getting back to Oceania, it sounds almost as if some people are jealous of what other countries get in terms of benefits, discounts, etc. As posted by JimandStan, Oceania markets differently to different parts of the world. It pretty much equals out in the end. We may get included air and others may get a "sale" -- not a big deal IMO.

In terms of included drinks, if it were offered in the U.S., I would expect a big uproar about paying for something that some people do not want. Although we prefer all-inclusive (minus excursions), the beauty of Oceania is that most things are ala carte. There does seem to be a growing movement within mainstream and premium cruise lines to move towards all-inclusive so that the passengers know up front how much the cruise will actually cost. On some mainstream cruise lines we have heard of alcohol bills being higher than the cruise fare:-) I am not in favor of this for many reasons - especially on some cruise lines (not going to name the cruise lines but I'm sure most of you know which ones do not need more alcohol and parties:-)

If we spend time worrying about what other people are or are not getting, we only upset ourselves and there is nothing we can do about it. JMHO.

Edited by Travelcat2

Regardless of your understanding it, or not. That is the way that Travel is sold.

Should I pretend that things are different because you don't like it?

Oceania Cruises are sold and promoted very differently in the United Kingdom.

United States Pricing does not apply to British passengers, and neither does the free airfare deal or most of the other promotions that we see.

It isn't surprising that their marketing does not apply to us.

UK passengers are offered free air.

Getting back to Oceania, it sounds almost as if some people are jealous of what other countries get in terms of benefits, discounts, etc. As posted by JimandStan, Oceania markets differently to different parts of the world. It pretty much equals out in the end. We may get included air and others may get a "sale" -- not a big deal IMO.

If we spend time worrying about what other people are or are not getting, we only upset ourselves and there is nothing we can do about it. JMHO.

Sorry but, that is easy for you to say when prices & benefits are consistently skewed in favour of the US. Ask any Brit or Aussie, it does not even out. We can, however, do something about it with certain lines, and that is to use a US travel agency, which seems to be an increasing trend for those lines that will allow it, which not all do. I wonder why ? This may or may not be the doing of the cruise line, but on occasions the prices are similar or can be $000's less - which is a big deal. OBC & gratuities seem to be the norm in the US but over here not so. We also lose our deposits once booked ie before final payment, if we cancel, but again if we use a US agency, we too will receive the perks that are not available in the UK. Hardly a level playing field. There is a difference between marketing and price fixing, and for us it is the latter creating the problems.

Sorry if I have caused an uproar over my seemingly innocent question. I do understand that some cruise destinations are going to appeal more to customers from some countries than others. And a cruise line that offers free air may want more of those people who live in North America for Caribbean cruises than those who live in the far east and therefore market the cruise to get those people, etc etc. That does make sense. And it also makes sense that a cruise line might want some diversity onboard as well, although the posts about Princess Cruises and its dedicated ships for its Japanese market speaks otherwise.

I would like to state that my questions about the marketing of Oceania's promotions were not intended to sound like I was "jealous" of what other countries were getting. I asked a question, because I didn't know the answer, and I received some very good information from lexdisic which answered my question. I sincerely did not appreciate some of the short tempered answers (well, it was really only one...) that I got.

This fall will be our first Oceania cruise after sailing primarily on Silversea, Regent and Seabourn. Those three lines include beverage packages and I can safely say that I have rarely seen anyone take advantage of that benefit. Wine is poured freely at dinner, but no one seems to overdo. I would imagine that might have something to do with the median age of the clientele on Silversea, where we have been the last three cruises.

Finally, our cruise did come with several benefits that we are quite happy with, along with a generous amount of SBC. I know we will have a wonderful cruise with some great and friendly people who will be patient with me when I ask questions that may irritate them.:)

Sorry but, that is easy for you to say when prices & benefits are consistently skewed in favour of the US. Ask any Brit or Aussie, it does not even out. We can, however, do something about it with certain lines, and that is to use a US travel agency, which seems to be an increasing trend for those lines that will allow it, which not all do. I wonder why ? This may or may not be the doing of the cruise line, but on occasions the prices are similar or can be $000's less - which is a big deal. OBC & gratuities seem to be the norm in the US but over here not so. We also lose our deposits once booked ie before final payment, if we cancel, but again if we use a US agency, we too will receive the perks that are not available in the UK. Hardly a level playing field. There is a difference between marketing and price fixing, and for us it is the latter creating the problems.

Thank you for the explanation. This is very different than what I have read on the Silversea board (probably because this is Oceania and is apparently very different). Some people from the U.K. state that there are protections for U.K. citizens that do not exist in the U.S. I cannot address gratuities since we normally sail on Regent where gratuities are included. Do you not receive "specials" from Oceania that include internet and gratuities?

Also, while I think that using a TA from the United States may be helpful, don't you lose "protections" offered in the U.K. I believe this protections have to do with cancelling cruises. Obviously you post leaves me quite confused but I am interested in learning as much as possible regarding the differences.

Am I going wrong somewhere?

Being a good English northerner I shop around for the best deal and this includes the price I pay for my cruises. However so far (only been on 3 ) I have never managed to get any on board credit. Is this because UK travel companies reduce the prices or should I negotiate further and push for something extra eg OBC?

All comments welcome ... Especially if it helps me get more fore my money on my next trip [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the explanation. This is very different than what I have read on the Silversea board (probably because this is Oceania and is apparently very different). Some people from the U.K. state that there are protections for U.K. citizens that do not exist in the U.S. I cannot address gratuities since we normally sail on Regent where gratuities are included. Do you not receive "specials" from Oceania that include internet and gratuities?

Also, while I think that using a TA from the United States may be helpful, don't you lose "protections" offered in the U.K. I believe this protections have to do with cancelling cruises. Obviously you post leaves me quite confused but I am interested in learning as much as possible regarding the differences.

Yes we do have different protection compared to the US which does have to be paid for somehow - usually the TA industry insures against bankruptcy etc., which is then passed on to the consumer. My hand has been forced to look at US TA's because of the price differential, ( I have only seen mainstream lines not Oceania I might add - early days yet). It seems that the credit card affords some protection both under US and UK law and further protection can be obtained with ones own insurance. The costs of which bear no resemblance to the savings that can be made.

I see no problem with marketing targeting a certain group or demographic and offering bonuses and incentives to get a sale, we are surrounded by them all the time, and with that - some you win - some you lose - thats the nature of the beast, but, without naming names, there are the cruise lines which will not allow US agents to offer the UK the advantage of promotions, keeping cruise prices artificially high - that I consider that price fixing and is just not cricket !!

It would be an interesting exercise if any of our US cousins could price the cruises mentioned in the e-mail, to see what difference, if any, there is. As it includes airfare, one may have to take this into account as obviously they would be inexpensive to us if travelling within Europe. It will also be interesting to see what happens to the price here when the offer ends.

Going back to the OP, offering a beverage package as an incentive, I imagine they will have great success with it even if it is built into the price (substituting the free airfare that US citizens get), but I do hope this is not how it will continue - little incentive to a non drinker - and losing the A La Carte system that is so appealing.

Cotto22 - I have only sailed mainstream lines with the exception of Nautica last year. I have to say, it was the best experience I have ever had on a cruise line. We are committed to take the ones we have booked, but are looking to get back on Oceania as soon as we can. One word - SUPERB

Am I going wrong somewhere?

Being a good English northerner I shop around for the best deal and this includes the price I pay for my cruises. However so far (only been on 3 ) I have never managed to get any on board credit. Is this because UK travel companies reduce the prices or should I negotiate further and push for something extra eg OBC?

All comments welcome ... Especially if it helps me get more fore my money on my next trip [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My TA told me that it is the cruise line which gives the benefits such as OBC and internet, but depending on how much business you are giving them, you can be given some from your TA, which comes from their bottom line. Go onto any US TA and you will find that it is standard practice to give OBC - who gives it, TA or line, I dont know the answer to that. A friend of mine has just done a B2B on Marina for near on 30 days and tried for months to get internet minutes, but had no luck, yet it was given in the states as standard when she booked. Our friend didnt know whether it was reflected in the price over there or not.

My TA told me that it is the cruise line which gives the benefits such as OBC and internet, but depending on how much business you are giving them, you can be given some from your TA, which comes from their bottom line. Go onto any US TA and you will find that it is standard practice to give OBC - who gives it, TA or line, I dont know the answer to that. A friend of mine has just done a B2B on Marina for near on 30 days and tried for months to get internet minutes, but had no luck, yet it was given in the states as standard when she booked. Our friend didnt know whether it was reflected in the price over there or not.

Answer to your OBC question is either or bot give the OBC and also some OBC can come from a credit card you use to pay for your cruise. And even if you get OBC from the credit card company, the cruise line may also share in the giving of the OBC.

One way to tell who the OBC comes from is the refundability of your OBC. If it is refundable, it does not come from the cruise line either partially or fully. If your OBC is refundable, it comes from a third party who paid the full amount of the OBC to the cruise line for your use.

In regards to the different fares and benefits comparison between different booking countries, one thing is perfectly clear is that the cruise line is in business to make a profit. As many have said, nothing is truly free, the money to pay for the different perks that are provided depending on when and where you book has to come from somewhere and that somewhere is from the cruise fare the customer pays. That said, if a cruise is selling slowly, just like if items in your stores are selling slowly, the store or cruise line can lower the price or provide additional perks in order to sell the item, perhaps at a loss or get additional passengers at a price less than the actual cost as is better to get a smaller amount of money for the item or cruise than to have the item sit unsold or the cabin sit empty.

While it's all about maximizing profit, sometimes a company needs to bring in income that doesn't provide profit to cover fixed costs. Just like stores in different locations hold sales and have pricing that are different, cruise lines marketing to different countries have have different sales and different pricing to maximize profits as well as income.

Sometimes the different pricing doesn't appear fair to some but, the best the customer can do is to use the internet and any allowable different booking techniques to get the best bang for their buck or Pound or Euro.

In regards to the different fares and benefits comparison between different booking countries, one thing is perfectly clear is that the cruise line is in business to make a profit. As many have said, nothing is truly free, the money to pay for the different perks that are provided depending on when and where you book has to come from somewhere and that somewhere is from the cruise fare the customer pays. That said, if a cruise is selling slowly, just like if items in your stores are selling slowly, the store or cruise line can lower the price or provide additional perks in order to sell the item, perhaps at a loss or get additional passengers at a price less than the actual cost as is better to get a smaller amount of money for the item or cruise than to have the item sit unsold or the cabin sit empty.

While it's all about maximizing profit, sometimes a company needs to bring in income that doesn't provide profit to cover fixed costs. Just like stores in different locations hold sales and have pricing that are different, cruise lines marketing to different countries have have different sales and different pricing to maximize profits as well as income.

Sometimes the different pricing doesn't appear fair to some but, the best the customer can do is to use the internet and any allowable different booking techniques to get the best bang for their buck or Pound or Euro.

Thank you for the info on OBC. This is something that Cruise Critic excels at and thats facilitating the transfer of useful information for all things cruising.

Whilst I am in agreement with what you say, I see some flaws.

I am an owner of a retail specialist tobacco and sundry supplier. I have promotions whereby I will either reduce the selling price or do give-aways. I will advertise locally whatever I am doing but if someone from the next town hears about it, then I will not refuse to serve them. Like wise, in that next town, they are large consumers of cigars and I will promote to them to get them to come to my store and buy from me. If a local turns up, I am not going to turn him away even though I didnt consider he would be interested in cigars. With this drinks package, they are hoping to persuade Europeans to take advantage of it, why not allow US citizens to take advantage of it if they wished. OK -there would be more work and costs involved in adjusting the US prices to suit so maybe they dont want it to get too complicated, so allow cross the pond TA's. IF Oceania are one of those lines that does not allow across the pond TA's, (and there is a major player I know who will not allow it) then I think we are in the world of price fixing and in my example, my local customers would be understandably upset if I refused what promotion the other town were getting. If they do allow it, then it wont affect profitability anyway and everyone gets what they want.

I dont mind having to use the Internet to search for a US TA that provides me with a better deal, likewise for US citizens who want in this case the drinks package to come to a UK TA. As stated, its when the cruise line does not allow it, is when the unfairness come into play.

Princess has moved the Diamond and Sapphire Princess to home port in the Asian market.....there are many threads on the Princess board concerning how the new "atmosphere" is working...It does not sound like it has been very successful for US/English speaking clients but that is not the market they are going for..

Thanks for that head's up!!! We had no idea...just goes to show you what your "kids" tell you, right?!!! :) LuAnn

Thanks for that head's up!!! We had no idea...just goes to show you what your "kids" tell you, right?!!! :) LuAnn

LuAnn,

Just to expand on this OT subject.

The Diamond seems to be marketed to Japanese cruisers and cruising mostly around Japan and some Korea/Taiwan while the Sapphire is positioned in SE Asia around Indonesia/ Malaysia/ Thailand/Viet Nam and Singapore.

We are looking into cruises around Japan on the Diamond.

Paul