Drinks Package rises and Consumer Protection legislation.

Pushka

Remember that ships sail under flags of convenience. Your law, my law...most everyone else's law is not their law. However the change in policy should be grandfathered to those purchased prior or sufficient notification to the purchaser.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sounds good but far from the truth. Ships are subject to the laws in every country the ships dock in, or pass through, plus those where they have offices.

Celebrity must be reading these boards as they have taken down the .pdf

Talk about Celebrity's left hand not knowing what the right hand is up to here's an example

This one http://www.thepreismans.com/ecarib_reflection_menus.htm clearly shows that Baileys and Southern Comfort are part of the Premium package

I have attached the .pdf that Celebrity have taken down it clearly states that Baileys and Southern Comfort are part of the Classic package

And this one http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...7&postcount=48 clearly shows that Southern Comfort is part of the Classic package but with no mention of Baileys

classic-beverage-package_tcm20-58906 (1).pdf

Sounds good but far from the truth. Ships are subject to the laws in every country the ships dock in, or pass through, plus those where they have offices.

And where consumers have booked through in their country where consumers are protected - eg Australia and UK - regardless of whether that travel occurs in Australia or anywhere in world.

I have it on my phone, ready to show.

Edited by Pushka

Talk about Celebrity's left hand not knowing what the right hand is up to here's an example

This one http://www.thepreismans.com/ecarib_reflection_menus.htm clearly shows that Baileys and Southern Comfort are part of the Premium package

I have attached the .pdf that Celebrity have taken down it clearly states that Baileys and Southern Comfort are part of the Classic package

And this one http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...7&postcount=48 clearly shows that Southern Comfort is part of the Classic package but with no mention of Baileys

I still can retrieve the file...but even if they remove it, they have to keep a log and a history of changes to their web site. Additionally Since it's now been posted here with its URL, it will be archived by cruise critic or their provider for quite some time. The internet has a wonderful memory...things just don't disappear.

Hopefully this will be discussed between celebrity and folks who feel there is a problem that celebrity has to resolve for them. I would be disappointed if this issue which is IMHO disappointing and perhaps poorly communicated gets escalated to any government or legal entity. I respect that people have rights but this type of situation is best resolved through discussion rather than involving others. I hope celebrity feels the same way and that folks who feel wronged aren't just told "go away...we can change anything we want at any time". That's the type of reaction that will cause escalation.

Let's all try to keep level heads on this topic

Edited by ghstudio

Do you know what I don't get with all the legal personnel Celebrity has it never dawned on one of the them to put something like this on the .pdf

The drinks on this list maybe subject to change, alteration or substitution depending on itinerary and future pricing structures

Would have saved a lot of aggravation

You seem like a very tolerant and forgiving person..............BUT, what if you went to a car dealer and purchased a Mercedes and when you went to pick up the car after it had been prepared for delivery you found they gave you a Ford. Well, you were promised a car and got one, so no problem. Also, too late to cancel as your check has been cashed.

I never said don't fight. I said international litigation is not the right fight.

If you feel wronged, cancel your trip. Or call for some sort of other consolation.

What is your expected outcome if pursuing legally? Force Celebrity to put the 15-20 drinks they moved up back to your level? Then what? Your cruise is awesome and rocking and Celebrity offers very few specials again because when they made an error, their 'loyal customers' put their foot on it's throat and pressed. It's alcohol....you are still getting alcohol.

This is a losing battle and a horrible outcome in the big picture.

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

Do you know what I don't get with all the legal personnel Celebrity has it never dawned on one of the them to put something like this on the .pdf

The drinks on this list maybe subject to change, alteration or substitution depending on itinerary and future pricing structures

Would have saved a lot of aggravation

There is no doubt that celebrity would point to their contract which has this sort of clause. Personally, I don't think that would fly with consumer protection agencies , but I've been wrong many times.

You seem like a very tolerant and forgiving person..............BUT, what if you went to a car dealer and purchased a Mercedes and when you went to pick up the car after it had been prepared for delivery you found they gave you a Ford. Well, you were promised a car and got one, so no problem. Also, too late to cancel as your check has been cashed.

clever...but not nearly the same thing....this would be more comparable to your Mercedes doesn't have the promised side mirror heaters or seat heaters

it's a very minor change in the package. And, correct me if I'm wrong, and I very well may be, isn't this a free package? Isn't this one of the 123Go deals? So you really paid for the cruise and the perk was altered....you are still getting what you paid for...the cruise, a room, meals and ports of call....the alcohol perk was altered, but never paid for.....again, I could be wrong and misunderstanding something, there have been a few threads on the drink package

And, correct me if I'm wrong, and I very well may be, isn't this a free package? Isn't this one of the 123Go deals? So you really paid for the cruise and the perk was altered....you are still getting what you paid for...the cruise, a room, meals and ports of call....the alcohol perk was altered, but never paid for.....again, I could be wrong and misunderstanding something, there have been a few threads on the drink package

Many people have paid for it. It is advertised on their website as something you can purchase.

Many people have paid for it. It is advertised on their website as something you can purchase.

Fair enough...hasn't it always said this package covers drinks up to $x.xx ?

If it has said that, they are fine. Because they do get to restructure individual drink prices which may cause them to move category, so a list can be out dated.

Would we be complaining if a better liquor fell to the lower price range....or would we just go woo hoo?

Fair enough...hasn't it always said this package covers drinks up to $x.xx ?

If it has said that, they are fine. Because they do get to restructure individual drink prices which may cause them to move category, so a list can be out dated.

Would we be complaining if a better liquor fell to the lower price range....or would we just go woo hoo?

Sure, agree with you there. But it seems a whole stack of items have had a price increase.

Even with the free offer, there was a choice between the drinks package and the payment of all tips. So it does represent an actual $ amount. If you'd selected the tips option, then it would be like Celebrity saying - "oops. We just realised that only half your tips had been included for that price and you still have to pay x$ more.

Sure, agree with you there. But it seems a whole stack of items have had a price increase.

Even with the free offer, there was a choice between the drinks package and the payment of all tips. So it does represent an actual $ amount. If you'd selected the tips option, then it would be like Celebrity saying - "oops. We just realised that only half your tips had been included for that price and you still have to pay x$ more.

but it's not the same. If they said 'Choose this option and all of your tips are paid for' then there is no variance. If they increase the tip suggestion, they would still be on the hook to pay the tips because they said 'all'.

If they say 'Choose this and you get Level X liquor package at no additional charge' then they are fulfilling that promise...providing Level X liquor package has always said Level X package covers (insert price level for beer/wine/cocktails). They are still giving the package.

Nobody is going to buy into the fact you booked a cruise for the free Bailys. I understand the disappointment...I'm a Makers Mark guy and I would feel the slighted as well...but they are not cheating anyone if they adjusted their prices on select alcohol beverages....for all we know, their supplier increased prices and/or freight charges. Companies increase prices.

Yes, I totally agree. Business's should be allowed to make adjustments to their business models but they cannot change the process (except in extenuating circumstances - eg no supply) once they've advertised something, and extracted their money.

Well I hope they don't run out of the "cheap stuff" when I'm on board!

clever...but not nearly the same thing....this would be more comparable to your Mercedes doesn't have the promised side mirror heaters or seat heaters

it's a very minor change in the package. And, correct me if I'm wrong, and I very well may be, isn't this a free package? Isn't this one of the 123Go deals? So you really paid for the cruise and the perk was altered....you are still getting what you paid for...the cruise, a room, meals and ports of call....the alcohol perk was altered, but never paid for.....again, I could be wrong and misunderstanding something, there have been a few threads on the drink package

Lots of people are saying the perk isn't free, that the fares are much higher this year than last year without it.

If they say 'Choose this and you get Level X liquor package at no additional charge' then they are fulfilling that promise...providing Level X liquor package has always said Level X package covers (insert price level for beer/wine/cocktails). They are still giving the package..

Did you see the picture I posted a few posts up? It states that for instance, Baileys is included in the classic package. On X brand letterhead. (Baileys isnt the only alcohol I like, its just an easy example :p ) And now it isn't.

Did you see the picture I posted a few posts up? It states that for instance, Baileys is included in the classic package. On X brand letterhead. (Baileys isnt the only alcohol I like, its just an easy example :p ) And now it isn't.

I saw the picture....but again, if they increased the price of a Baily's drink served to the cruiser without the package, then it's not covered under the package...but you still have the package covering drinks at whatever price level has been designated by X, I believe it's $8 drink plus a dollar something for gratuity.

And you actually think that your government is going to get involved in this terrible upcharge or removal of a $2 oz of Bailey's? I would hope our CND government would think twice about any use/waste of our tax dollars in this mess.

Sorry but I believe Celebrity has the legal right to change/modify the selections under the "contracted" drink pkg. Whether I like it or not.

It's why we pay a lot more for things in Australia. It buys us protection from corporations doing such things. So we pay for it in the initial outlay. ;)

And it's the mass effect of my $9 x thousands of consumers for every drink. It's a little bigger than what you've described.

Edited by Pushka

Interesting thead! And god knows WHERE you got the PDF of included drinks but can't believe even that little hidden treasure has been removed. It has been such pain trying to source such information from Celebrity - how hard can it be to have a list of all included drinks on any of the packages (and yes with a clause they are subject to change!!).

But to OP's point I know of an instance where an Aussie Family went on a X cruise for the first time - they had to pay for the package as the 123 offer was not offered on Sth Pacific cruises at the time. The husband drinks CORONA's - they found they were listed under the Classic Package so they purchased it. A few months before the cruise, X changed the price of Coronas and they now fall into the Premium Package only. The family 'raised' this with Celebrity that they had pre purchased the pkg based on an advertised inclusion but got the standard 'we reserve the right to change offerings at any time blah blah' - but even so on the web site the link of sample inclusions STILL INCLUDED Corona's. This was also raised - X did not budge but needless to say the logo of CORONA was removed from the CLASSIC package inclusions. Bit of a gray area in there if you ask me... Overall its a great offering by Celebrity compared to other lines.

Edited by QE2_Fan
spello

I'll first state that I'm truly appalled by Celebrity's lack of transparency and at times misleading advertising particularly relative to the beverage packages. Totally unacceptable - especially for those who actually PURCHASED a classic package.

But at the same time I have to say, those that get the package as a promo (eg. 123, PYP), and then are particular about the brands you are served... UPGRADE you cheapskates!!! For Pete's sake, for the price of a decent drink per day, you can drink all the top shelf liquor you want as well as fancy water! it's a VACATION - spend a buck and enjoy it!

I'll first state that I'm truly appalled by Celebrity's lack of transparency and at times misleading advertising particularly relative to the beverage packages. Totally unacceptable - especially for those who actually PURCHASED a classic package....

Those of us who paid the higher prices back in April for the 'pick your perk' promo actually did pay for the package, as the prices dropped May 1st when the promo ended. So, to get the brands originally promised in the Classic package, we now have to upgrade to Premium at a cost of $161us for two adults for seven days. That, in any country, is "bait and switch".

Those of us who paid the higher prices back in April for the 'pick your perk' promo actually did pay for the package, as the prices dropped May 1st when the promo ended. So, to get the brands originally promised in the Classic package, we now have to upgrade to Premium at a cost of $161us for two adults for seven days. That, in any country, is "bait and switch".

I agree, it's a somewhat slimy practise and disappointing to say the least. I think you'll find though that they didn't actually "promise" anything other than an unlimited quantity of drinks from a reasonably varied selection - which they are honouring. It's a bummer but don't let it ruin your vacation - upgrade and enjoy.

It saddens me that people who are probably normally quite sensible believe that a company's terms and conditions can over ride national laws. How about: "We can murder any passenger at will and/or steal all the money from their stateroom safe." Well that must be OK 'cos its in the T&Cs and the ship is registered in never-never land. Not.

Cruise companies - and Celebrity is far from the worst - love you roll-over-and-die folks.

If Celebrity has changed the Classic package after people in the UK have booked they may well fall foul of British consumer protection laws. These don't allow a vendor to sell goods or services in advance and then make changes before delivery(and I have the original list of drinks that were covered when I received the package). And inducements to buy, such as free drinks, are covered by the laws.

Assuming Celebrity doesn't care about the law then the way to receive recompense would be to keep the receipts for any drinks purchased that would have been free under the published list at time of booking (or the cost of upgrading) and make a claim through the court's small claims procedure. You pay a small fee to initiate the claim but that is reimbursed when you win.

In truth the threat of taking Celebrity to court for a few hundred pounds is likely to persuade them to send you a cheque as defending the claim would be vastly more expensive to them. I know. I've done-it (but not with Celebrity).

As another poster has said what they have done is probably a criminal offence in the UK, but if our consumer protection people don't move to have some manager in England locked-up (who probably had absolutely no say in the change) I would be quite happy just to get my money back.

This also begs the question as to whether they have proportionately reduced in value the other two options offered under 1-2-3 GO? Does anybody know? "Sorry but no free gratuities for stateroom attendants" for example?

TOS are legal binding....and if you agree to a TOS that say they can murder passengers at will, good luck to you.

TOS are written by legal teams and are legal and are brought into court everyday.

From everything I have read, the Classic drink package hasn't changed. It still covers all drinks up to $8 in price. They were just nice enough to show you what currently falls into that price range.

If they adjusted the prices on multiple brands for the individual sale of them, they now may rise into the premium package.

However, you(general 'you') are still receiving the Classic package....drinks $8 and below. If someone can produce a document saying 'you will get Baily's and Makers Mark and Corona', then I will buy into some fraudulent activity.

The pdf that's floating around show's the current list included in the Classic package...but is it up to date.

It saddens me that people, all over the world apparently, would get this worked up over the brand of free alcohol they are receiving.

........It saddens me that people, all over the world apparently, would get this worked up over the brand of free alcohol they are receiving.

First of all, it's not 'free', we are paying for the promo in the price of the cruise, which price dropped as soon as the promo ended. Secondly, people all over the world should get 'worked up' when a cruise line blatantly pulls a bait and switch scheme like this. If you read the posts and research the brands, many are no longer included in the Classic package, but now are in the more expensive upgrade Premium package. This is clearly a bait and switch.

Could you provide examples of the "many" drinks that are no longer included in the classic package, or a list from Celebrity that showed what was available vs. a current list which no longer has such items listed.

I think I've read of one example only (I think it was Jameson Irish Whiskey) and the facts about that one were not real clear from the posts I've read.

I'm not saying your post isn't accurate but just out of curiosity I'd like to know the facts and what has been cut from the classic package.

Larry

I drink Jack Daniels, wife drinks Baileys,both were on classic package when I booked, they are now in premium. If I had known that I might have taken one of the other options.