Drinks Package rises and Consumer Protection legislation.

Pushka

I agree with txflood33. My goodness, people's capacity to complain never ceases to amaze me. People are starving to death and being slaughtered in many places and we cruisers complain about our favorite beer moving from one drink package to another, and then expect our government to step in and protect us from the horrible company that provides us a cruise under such deplorable circumstances...:confused: Really? I am sometimes as bad as anyone else, but I have to remind myself to step back and look at the big picture of life. If we are posting on this board, we probably have it pretty darn good.

Edited by DWhit

First of all, it's not 'free', we are paying for the promo in the price of the cruise, which price dropped as soon as the promo ended. Secondly, people all over the world should get 'worked up' when a cruise line blatantly pulls a bait and switch scheme like this. If you read the posts and research the brands, many are no longer included in the Classic package, but now are in the more expensive upgrade Premium package. This is clearly a bait and switch.

I'm not going to argue about this anymore. Things like this happen all the time from all different companies all over the world

The Eddie Bauer Explorer from Ford....it's an explorer with perks and it costs more....it's still an Explorer

The 123 plan is a cruise with perks and it costs more...you pick the perk. It's traditional marketing. The Classic package covers drinks up to $x....you are still getting that....again, I'm using 'you' in a general term

You still get to drink for free (up to $x in price). The problem is the passengers are viewing the Classic package as specific brands of alcohol and it's not. It's whatever they happen to be serving in that price range during your cruise. The most current list I just saw was a post from a ship posting during the cruise...read it this morning....it's still a pretty good list. The beer selection is pretty weak if you want the average American beer, but it's not a bad list to bring up international consumer law.

There is no bait and switch....you are getting the package you signed up for.

Larry

I drink Jack Daniels, wife drinks Baileys,both were on classic package when I booked, they are now in premium. If I had known that I might have taken one of the other options.

This is the best explanation I have seen as to how they feel cheated.

If this were me, I would call Celebrity and explain it and to how you may have chosen another one of the options had you better info of how the packages can change. Ask for an OBC, but please don't call the gov't to step in about lack of Jack Daniels on a vacation.

Unless you booked in the UK having read a specific list of included beverages which listed items not prices.

Celebrity UK argue that UK prices are higher because of the cost of compliance with UK consumer protection. I just hope someone has the energy to complain to Trading Standards. The alternative might be to alert broadsheet personal finance or travel pages.

We do pay more in the UK to get consumer protection.

Stuart

Edited by Wiltonian
Typo

Unless you booked in the UK having read a specific list of included beverages which listed items not prices.

Celebrity UK argue that UK prices are higher because of the cost of compliance with UK consumer protection. I just hope someone has the energy to complain to Trading Standards. The alternative might be to alert broadsheet personal finance or travel pages.

We do pay more in the UK to get consumer protection.

Stuart

based on this, you are saying prices in the UK never fluctuate...never go up or down...Celebrity does not have the legal right to change the prices of Baily's served to it's guests who did not purchase a beverage package

Is that what you are saying? Because if it is, stop for a minute and truly listen to how ridiculous it sounds. Again, you are assuming the drink package is specific brands...AND IT'S NOT....it a price range.

This is the best explanation I have seen as to how they feel cheated.

If this were me, I would call Celebrity and explain it and to how you may have chosen another one of the options had you better info of how the packages can change. Ask for an OBC, but please don't call the gov't to step in about lack of Jack Daniels on a vacation.

For anyone who has not taken their cruise yet do you still have the option to change your package to OBC ? Or cancel or upgrade your package ?

I can see how this was a problem when we were already on the cruise before we found out it had changed, but do you still have time now to make changes if you want to, I know you feel cheated that you are not getting what you thought you were but forewarned is forearmed

based on this, you are saying prices in the UK never fluctuate...never go up or down...Celebrity does not have the legal right to change the prices of Baily's served to it's guests who did not purchase a beverage package

Is that what you are saying? Because if it is, stop for a minute and truly listen to how ridiculous it sounds. Again, you are assuming the drink package is specific brands...AND IT'S NOT....it a price range.

I disagree that it is based on a price range, the list I had was brand/drink specific , if the name was not on the list for certain items you didn't get it, the price range came Into force for cocktails etc.

The posts by txflood are somewhat superficial and simplistic. His example of someone ordering a Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer model and getting a regular Ford Explorer instead might make HIM happy but few others I think.

Also, I disagree with the explanation about the package only being about price range and not specific brands. Excuse me the original offer was for BOTH. The specific brands available for the Classic Package was tied specifically to specific brands AND their prices. So I don't understand the TX logic in defending what indeed is a bait and switch.

Celebrity has every right to increase prices and change offerings for new bookings where the rules of the game are set down from the start. To change those rules mid game after people have booked and were told what to expect but are now forced to accept something else borders on fraud. What if tx was shown a Mercedes and paid for it and was then given a Ford................would that be acceptable...they are both motor vehicles?

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

Interesting thead! And god knows WHERE you got the PDF of included drinks but can't believe even that little hidden treasure has been removed.....

It's still there on the UK website

http://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/images/classic-beverage-package_tcm20-58906.pdf

TOS are legal binding....and if you agree to a TOS that say they can murder passengers at will, good luck to you.

TOS are written by legal teams and are legal and are brought into court everyday............

In the UK TOS and T&C's have to be reasonable, you can't put what you like in for example "we reserve the right to make passengers walk the plank if they don't tip" because that is unreasonable.

I'd be very surprised if North Americans let their companies do what they liked, wouldn't I ?

Those of us who paid the higher prices back in April for the 'pick your perk' promo actually did pay for the package, as the prices dropped May 1st when the promo ended. So, to get the brands originally promised in the Classic package, we now have to upgrade to Premium at a cost of $161us for two adults for seven days. That, in any country, is "bait and switch".

First of all, it's not 'free', we are paying for the promo in the price of the cruise, which price dropped as soon as the promo ended. Secondly, people all over the world should get 'worked up' when a cruise line blatantly pulls a bait and switch scheme like this. If you read the posts and research the brands, many are no longer included in the Classic package, but now are in the more expensive upgrade Premium package. This is clearly a bait and switch.

Your sailing must not be selling well then. We booked in Jan '14 for our Nov '14 cruise. Our cat 1A is sold out, the 1B are $710 per person higher with no perk, and a Veranda GTY is $600 pp higher. So a price drop is not certain for all sailings.

It's still there on the UK website

http://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/images/classic-beverage-package_tcm20-58906.pdf

In the UK TOS and T&C's have to be reasonable, you can't put what you like in for example "we reserve the right to make passengers walk the plank if they don't tip" because that is unreasonable.

I'd be very surprised if North Americans let their companies do what they liked, wouldn't I ?

Yes...I agree, and I think we both know the murder example was a bit hyperbolic....but I don't think moving some higher priced alcohol out of one package and into the higher priced package is unreasonable :)

......There is no bait and switch....you are getting the package you signed up for.

How's that? I signed up for a package based on what they were advertising at the time, the list posted under their "what's included" list on the UK website, and it's still there.

Likelihood is that I am going to get on the ship in a few days and the package will have changed, and unless I came here (CC) I wouldn't even have know.

In the UK they would not be able to change such a package without prior notice free or paid for, in UK consumer law even "free" packages or goods

should be as described.

It's perhaps the reason why non EU countries are regularly fined when trading in the EU (think Microsoft) Consumers here are protected.

And on that note bottoms up chin chin I'm of to finish my packing before we leave on Thursday, ain't no drinks package gonna ruin my holiday.

How's that? I signed up for a package based on what they were advertising at the time, the list posted under their "what's included" list on the UK website, and it's still there.

Likelihood is that I am going to get on the ship in a few days and the package will have changed, and unless I came here (CC) I wouldn't even have know.

In the UK they would not be able to change such a package without prior notice free or paid for, in UK consumer law even "free" packages or goods

should be as described.

It's perhaps the reason why non EU countries are regularly fined when trading in the EU (think Microsoft) Consumers here are protected.

And on that note bottoms up chin chin I'm of to finish my packing before we leave on Thursday, ain't no drinks package gonna ruin my holiday.

Cheers, mate..that's the spirit

I think that the "product" (purchased or perk) is the Classic Drink Package with included offerings being in the price range listed. This "product" is what should not be taken away once purchased or offered as a perk. But I can't see why Celebrity can not change the selections in the "product". It would be the same as a trying to hold a Specialty Rest to the same menu items that were available at time of booking and finding out an appy/main/dessert was no longer offered after boarding:confused:

Yes...I agree, and I think we both know the murder example was a bit hyperbolic....but I don't think moving some higher priced alcohol out of one package and into the higher priced package is unreasonable :)

I don't know if you're playing devils advocate but would you really be happy if a company changed something that you had paid for (you don't get the free package unless you pay for the cruise so you are paying) without giving reasonable notice and an explanation?

should be as described.

From http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/advice/index.cfm

Help and Advice

Your consumer rights – products must be:

• of satisfactory quality - last for the time you would expect and be free of any defects
  • fit for purpose – fit for the use described and any specific use you made clear to the trader
  • as described – match the description on packaging or what the trader told you

..........But I can't see why Celebrity can not change the selections in the "product". It would be the same as a trying to hold a Specialty Rest to the same menu items that were available at time of booking and finding out an appy/main/dessert was no longer offered after boarding:confused:

Would you be happy if quite a few of the menu options were missing with nothing to replace them, that in the UK would not be tolerated, I can envisage a lot of angry people that know nothing about the changes when I board Friday.

From http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/advice/index.cfm

Help and Advice

Your consumer rights – products must be:

• of satisfactory quality - last for the time you would expect and be free of any defects
  • fit for purpose – fit for the use described and any specific use you made clear to the trader
  • as described – match the description on packaging or what the trader told you

Absolutely

The 123 plan is a cruise with perks and it costs more...you pick the perk. It's traditional marketing. The Classic package covers drinks up to $x....you are still getting that....again, I'm using 'you' in a general term

You still get to drink for free (up to $x in price). The problem is the passengers are viewing the Classic package as specific brands of alcohol and it's not. It's whatever they happen to be serving in that price range during your cruise. The most current list I just saw was a post from a ship posting during the cruise...read it this morning....it's still a pretty good list. The beer selection is pretty weak if you want the average American beer, but it's not a bad list to bring up international consumer law.

Thank you. For the life of me, I couldn't understand why people were calling the increase in price of certain liquor bait and switch. They have the package, the package clearly says that they get unlimited free drinks and there is no mention that it has to be a certain type of liquor or brand included.

Now, if they got onboard and were told that they could not have a single drop of alcohol unless they upgraded and paid extra, then that would be bait and switch.

Take a breath....many here are from different countries with different views of things.....with some trying to explain that the laws of someone elses country either don't apply, are being misinterpreted, or are wrong. Additionally, they are trying to tell folks from a different country with different backgrounds and experiences that their view is wrong.

If you live in canada, you probably don't know UK law and how it's applied in the UK. If you live in the US, you probably have no idea how the consumer protection laws are enforced in the UK or Australia. In both cases, you probably have no idea what the cruise contract says, the country web site says or the advertising in that country said.

I've lived in the UK and I still don't fully understand many of their laws and how they are applied. I'm not sure I understand the US laws, although I admit that I do know how they are applied (I think I forgot to put not in front of that word.

Perhaps if everyone sticks to their geography, these discussions would go better.

Edited by ghstudio

Again, you are assuming the drink package is specific brands...AND IT'S NOT....it a price range.

No, if you go to the X web site under the already book tab, go to Bev pkg's they give us pic's and names of the brands in the 2 packages.

Classic: http://www.celebritycruises.com/beverage/package/selections.do?consumerInterestId=30

Premium: http://www.celebritycruises.com/beverage/package/selections.do?consumerInterestId=31

Thank goodness I don't drink that much alcohol, because I would hate my vacation to revolve around what brand of liquor I'm going to drink. If they don't have the wine I like (Duckhorn Merlot Three Palms), then I will just drink and enjoy another, as I can always have my favorite wine when I get home.

.... there is no mention that it has to be a certain type of liquor or brand included.....

Not true. The Celebrity website clearly references specific brands. And, we have yet to decipher the change in wines available. For example, the previous Classic referenced Bombay Saphire, Sambuca, Pernod, Courvoisier, Glenfiddich, Patron XO, just to mention a few which have been bumped to the Premium package. So, we have to pay an additional $161us to get the brands that were originally sold to us. Having said that, it will not ruin our trip, but it is a matter of principle and honor. So, perhaps Celebrity should offer an OBC of $161 to those who booked prior to the change.

Edited by neptuno

Celebrity UK's classic beverage package looks like a cut and paste job to me :eek:, it looks like somebody has took a stock sheet and created the document with no reference to what is actually included in the package.

I would not be surprised to find that this is the inventory list for one of the ships sailing in Europe