Drinks Package rises and Consumer Protection legislation.

Pushka

Please tell me you are pulling my leg. These are rot gut, the cheapest of the cheap. If true, what a horrible thing for them to do to miss lead like that. It's not something I will forget when planning my future vacations. We have other options.

I'm convinced that come 2016-2017 season, the "classic beverages" will be part of the cruise fare...

Good point as is the rest of your post. Although more likely the pick a perk program, or something similar, will continue to be widely offered as the option of an OBC or alternative perk takes away potential complaints from non-drinkers about paying the cost of drinks on board.

The sad part here is the many passengers for whom the old classic package was a real winner who are now being caught up in a transition to a completely different type of package. I think what they really should have done is create a new name for the more bare bones tier package and frozen sales and offers of the existing Classic package so that it would disappear after existing bookings with it are completed over the next year or two. This would have created a fairer transition to a new beverage structure if that's what they're really trying to do.

Would not be surprised if someone filed a class action case in the US. Have seen cases filed with less reason that have resulted in payouts.

I've seen many class action suits for cases with the same, lesser and greater level of reason. The common element among those is that the "claimants" get some token award like a $25 off coupon or a payment of a couple dollars after an award that sounded big in the aggregate becomes nearly meaningless after it is split among a huge number of people. The only winners I see in such suits are the lawyers that take home multi million dollar legal fees. While I'm sure there are some class action lawsuits that have a justifiable merit and are morally sound the vast majority seem to be more like scams perpetrated within the bounds of the legal system by law firms that make such suits their business.

Edited by Lsimon

Good point as is the rest of your post. Although more likely the pick a perk program, or something similar, will continue to be widely offered as the option of an OBC or alternative perk takes away potential complaints from non-drinkers about paying the cost of drinks on board.

The sad part here is the many passengers for whom the old classic package was a real winner who are now being caught up in a transition to a completely different type of package. I think what they really should have done is create a new name for the more bare bones tier package and frozen sales and offers of the existing Classic package so that it would disappear after existing bookings with it are completed over the next year or two. This would have created a fairer transition to a new beverage structure if that's what they're really trying to do.

I've seen many class action suits for cases with the same, lesser and greater level of reason. The common element among those is that the "claimants" get some token award like a $25 off coupon or a payment of a couple dollars after an award that sounded big in the aggregate becomes nearly meaningless after it is split among a huge number of people. The only winners I see in such suits are the lawyers that take home multi million dollar legal fees. While I'm sure there are some class action lawsuits that have a justifiable merit and are morally sound the vast majority seem to be more like scams perpetrated within the bounds of the legal system by law firms that make such suits their business.

That is why you are likely to see one. Some attorney will find a lead plaintive and file. Celebrity would probably do something like give $25 or $50 obc (put it under marketing expense since you would have to take another cruise to use it) and the attorney would make a few million.

Edited by RDC1

Cle (and anyone else who's interested...read Adam Goldstein's letter written when RCL went through so many changes:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/connect/blog/addressing-recent-rccl-policy-changes/

Wow that guy knows how to coddle his customers! Well written and just down to earth factual and explanations for everything that make good sense.

Having read this, I would think someone at X should do something similar, but I think they are still in a hinge state of transition and testing and too much more is going to change. Seemed Adam's notes were all after the fact once things settled in. Definitely a different management style than Bailey!

So to add some humour into this thread - I have the Classic package showing in my booking.

Today I received this email from celebrity:

Your cruise vacation is almost here. Book your beverage package needs today. :o :p

(Left hand, right hand - no connection.)

I click on the link and see that the Classic Package is AUD$56 per person, per night! (thats around $52USD?)

Upgrade your cruise experience and pay one price to enjoy all of the benefits of our Classic Non-Alcoholic package as well as all beers up to $6 per serving, and spirits, cocktails, frozen drinks, and wines by the glass up to $8 per serving. Plus, with purchase of this Classic Package, you can enjoy a 15% discount on all wines by the bottle purchased on board, even our prized Reserve Wine list and Rare Wine list.

Now all we need is a price list.

Edited by Pushka

Sorry, but the current list posted from the Eclipse shows only cutty sark and Old Blackbush scotch available on the classic package. J&B and Dewars are no longer there.

What is Black Bush scotch? Any one ever tried it?

All we are asking is to receive the package we signed up for.

I'm trying to figure out the logistics. It would be difficult for every bartender to know what the list was at the time of purchase for every passenger.

I'm trying to figure out the logistics. It would be difficult for every bartender to know what the list was at the time of purchase for every passenger.

Indeed - which is precisely why the entitlement is not based on a list but rather a price limit. $6 for beer, $8 for wine and liquor.

Confused. The Celebrity menu posted by Kevinyork referred to it as Scotch. Nevertheless, anyone tried it? How does it rate?

Yes, one more reason to be skeptical of the actual utility of the list. It's IRISH Whiskey. It's not even called "Old" Black Bush - it's just called Black Bush - and is in fact more expensive at retail than the standard "Old Bushmills". The list is highly questionable. You SHOULD be confused.

http://www.bushmills.com/BMTheBushmillsWhiskeys.html

Edited by wpgcycler

Yes, one more reason to be skeptical of the actual utility of the list. It's IRISH Whiskey. It's not even called "Old" Black Bush - it's just called Black Bush - and is in fact more expensive at retail than the standard "Old Bushmills". The list is highly questionable. You SHOULD be confused.

http://www.bushmills.com/BMTheBushmillsWhiskeys.html

Thanks, I assumed it was not the "Old" variety. Looks like a $33+/- taste, but how was the flavor? I enjoy an Islay, any similarities?

Just want to vent my frustration.

I was a bit annoyed when I discovered here that the Classic package had changed. The main reason being I usually only drink wine and "House Wine"

tends to be crappy and the only California Chardonnay I could find on their list now is crappy too.

But I could live with that. Then.

But now I'm really annoyed, I just now looked over the Classic list on the X website and they removed specialty coffees from the Classic package. Weren't they included in the past or am I imagining that?

They had to have known the beverage packages would be downgraded when they made the PYP and the 123go offers. That was the one reason that persuaded us to book.

This is bait and switch, pure and simple.

Shame on you Celebrity.

I know some of you don't care about any of this, but I personally see no reason to continue being loyal to Celebrity if they're going to be dishonest with me.

Seriously thinking about switching to Seabourn for this Med cruise.

Instead of giving X a couple hundred more to upgrade to the Premium package, we can pay the same amount to Seabourn and have true "Modern Luxury" without the aggravation of figuring out what's included and what's not.

Thanks, I assumed it was not the "Old" variety. Looks like a $33+/- taste, but how was the flavor? I enjoy an Islay, any similarities?

Sorry, I haven't tried it but I'd be surprised if it was anything like an Islay - Islay's are distinct in that the water has very different qualities due to the peat over which it flows and in the way peat is used in the malting process. If you google it you will find some reviews by Whiskey/Whisky aficionados. Also note that it is a blended Whiskey rather than a single or even pure malt.

From what I have read on other threads the specialty coffees like capacchino and lattes are still included......the premium coffees container liquors are not and were not before if I remember correctly so no change on the coffee front.

It is a low blow to have Celebrity apply these changes in the Classic package to those already booked and expecting what they were told was included when booking. This borders on lying, deceit and worse that I won't say.............but then again they gotta make that profit so how about we cut the entertainment staff, the number of members in the band and make each waiter responsible for 25 tables per sitting and the cabin stewards get double duty............................errrr.............maybe they didn't think of the last two yet but there is still time

I have read the posts about the falling standards with Celebrity (especially the issue with the drinks package) and must admit I am doubting the wisdom of ever booking with the line and am considering if I will be advising friends and acquaintances to go elsewhere.

For the deal that Celebrity offered I am unsure of the position ref the UK Sale of Goods Act but it does seem that ''enjoyment'' may well be somewhat tarnished.

The cruise line did seem to offer a good deal upon booking but it would now seem that the deal is somewhat tarnished.

Comments all?

I have read the posts about the falling standards with Celebrity (especially the issue with the drinks package) and must admit I am doubting the wisdom of ever booking with the line and am considering if I will be advising friends and acquaintances to go elsewhere.

For the deal that Celebrity offered I am unsure of the position ref the UK Sale of Goods Act but it does seem that ''enjoyment'' may well be somewhat tarnished.

The cruise line did seem to offer a good deal upon booking but it would now seem that the deal is somewhat tarnished.

Comments all?

Maybe you could read one of the other threads on the same subject to find out peoples comments, there are quite a few already :rolleyes:

From what I have read on other threads the specialty coffees like capacchino and lattes are still included......the premium coffees container liquors are not and were not before if I remember correctly so no change on the coffee front.

It is a low blow to have Celebrity apply these changes in the Classic package to those already booked and expecting what they were told was included when booking. This borders on lying, deceit and worse that I won't say.............but then again they gotta make that profit so how about we cut the entertainment staff, the number of members in the band and make each waiter responsible for 25 tables per sitting and the cabin stewards get double duty............................errrr.............maybe they didn't think of the last two yet but there is still time

Ha ha,I agree, but this is obviously a bait and switch.

This just copied this from their website.

Classic non alcohol package

In addition to enjoying your favorite Coca Cola can and fountain sodas selections such as Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Fanta Orange and Coke Zero, you may also enjoy fresh squeezed and bottled juices, premium coffees and teas, and non-premium bottled water.

Classic alcohol package.

Upgrade your cruise experience and pay one price to enjoy all of the benefits of our Classic Non-Alcoholic package as well as all beers up to $6 per serving, and spirits, cocktails, frozen drinks, and wines by the glass up to $8 per serving. Plus, with purchase of this Classic Package, you can enjoy a 15% discount on all wines by the bottle purchased on board, even our prized Reserve Wine list and Rare Wine list

Premium non alcohol package

Enjoy nearly our entire selection of sodas selections on board including all canned and fountain soft drinks from Coca-Cola, premium bottled water from Evian, Perrier and San Pellegrino, specialty coffees and teas, non-alcoholic frozen drinks and smoothies, Red Bull Energy Drink and specialty waters from Vitamin Water.

Premium alcohol package

For the ultimate in value and convenience, our premium package provides all the benefits of our Premium Non-Alcoholic Package. In addition, you can enjoy our entire selection of Beers as well as Spirits, Cocktails and Wines by the Glass up to $13 per serving. Plus, with purchase of this Premium Package, you can enjoy a 20% discount on all wines by the bottle purchased on board, even our prized Reserve Wine list and Rare Wine list.

Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, the classic package includes everything from the non alcohol package which states "premium coffee."

The Premium package states everything from the premium non alcohol package which states "specialty coffees".

That looks to me like lattes, cappuccinos and such are not included in the classic alcohol package.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like you would have to upgrade to the Premium in order to have included cappaccinos. I need my cappuccino in the morning!:p

As with everything in life, you should manage your expectations. There are lots of good reviews as well. We found lots of things wrong with our cruises on the Summit and the Century. We could make a big list. But these things were not important. We went expecting to have a good time. We had a great time. Loved the ships, loved the crew. There were a couple of moments of "not perfect" but that's life. We have lots of not perfect moments every day. I take reviews, good and bad, with a grain of salt.

Go on your cruise expecting to enjoy yourself and don't worry about what could possibly go wrong.

Ha ha,I agree, but this is obviously a bait and switch.

This just copied this from their website.

Classic non alcohol package

In addition to enjoying your favorite Coca Cola can and fountain sodas selections such as Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Fanta Orange and Coke Zero, you may also enjoy fresh squeezed and bottled juices, premium coffees and teas, and non-premium bottled water.

Classic alcohol package.

Upgrade your cruise experience and pay one price to enjoy all of the benefits of our Classic Non-Alcoholic package as well as all beers up to $6 per serving, and spirits, cocktails, frozen drinks, and wines by the glass up to $8 per serving. Plus, with purchase of this Classic Package, you can enjoy a 15% discount on all wines by the bottle purchased on board, even our prized Reserve Wine list and Rare Wine list

Premium non alcohol package

Enjoy nearly our entire selection of sodas selections on board including all canned and fountain soft drinks from Coca-Cola, premium bottled water from Evian, Perrier and San Pellegrino, specialty coffees and teas, non-alcoholic frozen drinks and smoothies, Red Bull Energy Drink and specialty waters from Vitamin Water.

Premium alcohol package

For the ultimate in value and convenience, our premium package provides all the benefits of our Premium Non-Alcoholic Package. In addition, you can enjoy our entire selection of Beers as well as Spirits, Cocktails and Wines by the Glass up to $13 per serving. Plus, with purchase of this Premium Package, you can enjoy a 20% discount on all wines by the bottle purchased on board, even our prized Reserve Wine list and Rare Wine list.

Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, the classic package includes everything from the non alcohol package which states "premium coffee."

The Premium package states everything from the premium non alcohol package which states "specialty coffees".

That looks to me like lattes, cappuccinos and such are not included in the classic alcohol package.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like you would have to upgrade to the Premium in order to have included cappaccinos. I need my cappuccino in the morning!:p

Premium is Latte's, Cappuccinos etc and Specialty coffee's have liquor added. You will be fine!!

If you don't think it will live up to your expectations based on what you have read, I would cancel if you have a cruise booked or not book one. The one thing you don't want on your vacation is to worry if something will meet your expectations or not. Or you can go on the cruise with an open mind and not look for issues; all too often people obsess over the little issues and forget about how great everything else was.

If I based my decisions to book cruises by what I read on Cruise Critic I would have given up cruising a long time ago. While this site can offer up some great information it also has it's share of people who thrive on drama. The Celebrity board is by far the worst that I have witnessed. I have found that nothing in life is perfect including cruising. I suggest going with an open mind and judge for yourself. May surprise yourself.

Edited by cruisingator2