Drinks Package rises and Consumer Protection legislation.

Pushka

Maybe what they should do is once you have booked send out a form to each person boarding so everyone can list the exact brand of alcohol each person would like...

There's no pleasing some people I guess!!!

Yes, how dare people be unsatisfied by not getting what the cruise line offered and they accepted! The nerve of some people.

The cruise line should just be able to substitute whatever it feels like, as long as it's still that broad category. Really, the cruise line should just save money and put those big blue water canisters everywhere. If you show your card, they'll just give you a drink of water from that. Hey, as long as it's unlimited and it's a drink, it qualifies!

Right, by that logic if you book a balcony, then you can get assigned an oceanview, after all you're still getting a cabin!!!

Not quite my dear friend!!! if it still comes with a balcony as that's what your buying... Then yes!!

When buying a drinks package and it states your getting one kind of vodka then it changes to another brand of vodka you are still getting vodka!!! I know people have preferred brands to suit their tastes but surely people don't first look to see what brand of vodka is sold in a bar before they decide on their holiday... Changes happen all the time to brands/types that's all I'm saying!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are... a drinks package that covers a wide selection of alcohol beverages!! Just because it doesn't include a certain brand of whiskey or baileys your still getting a drinks package which is what you purchased or got for free!! Not an allocation of certain drinks of your choice!!

The drinks aren't "of your choice." The drinks are of the cruise line choice.

It's not called a lucky dip of drinks. They offered a certain range as per their site, and that's what people signed up for.

Whenever you buy something specifically, that's the minimum you should get. Nobody's asking to change their own choice - can I substitute Y for X which you advertised. If anyone tried, Celebrity would laugh at them.

Funnily enough, you're laughing at others for suffering what Celebrity wouldn't accept done to it.

Not quite my dear friend!!! if it still comes with a balcony as that's what your buying... Then yes!!

When buying a drinks package and it states your getting one kind of vodka then it changes to another brand of vodka you are still getting vodka!!! I know people have preferred brands to suit their tastes but surely people don't first look to see what brand of vodka is sold in a bar before they decide on their holiday... Changes happen all the time to brands/types that's all I'm saying!!

Obviously they do!

Right, by that logic if you book a balcony, then you can get assigned an oceanview, after all you're still getting a cabin!!!

It's a matter of "materialness" and what the booking conditions provide. The cabin type and cabin fare are material to each other. The line will provide a prorated refund for a change in cabin type if they have to alter the reservation to a lesser cabin, likewise they won't charge more if they have to relocate to a higher cabin type.

A complimentary drink package and the offerings within it are not material to the overall cruise fare. The booking conditions do not provide for the particular beverages in a complimentary drink package, it provides for "select beverages" and does not define brands. It also provides for changes and alterations and surcharges at the sole discretion of the ruse line, per the UK booking conditions contract.

If one actually PAID for a drink package and arrive to find it was altered, they do have the right to cancel the package and expect a full refund for it and not use the altered package. But a free package is a perk or gift.

While I won't say you are making an apples to oranges comparison, I would say its apples to crabapples....

Does anyone have a copy of the new premium list? We were planning to upgrade once we were on the ship and want to make sure it is worth our while now.

Also, its been alluded to on the thread but I'd like to confirm as long as you have a 123Go package you can still upgrade for $11.50, yes?

This is all really unfortunate. If I had paid outright for my package I would have been a little miffed. Even if I had paid it wouldn't ruin my cruise though. It's too bad they couldn't have put out a memo in advance, I'm sure that would have helped a tiny bit.

Exactly. And here, people have also bought a package with certain inclusions: Baileys and whatever else.

The new package no longer has that... it's like a cabin without a balcony. You get some of the drinks, but not all that you paid for. Just like you get some of the cabin but not all that you paid for.

When buying a drinks package and it states your getting one kind of vodka then it changes to another brand of vodka you are still getting vodka!!!

Maybe if that were true. But what's the substitute for Baileys? What's the substitute for Sambucca? What's the substitute for Ouzo? There's a whole slew of drinks that have apparently been excised from what people paid for.

I know people have preferred brands to suit their tastes but surely people don't first look to see what brand of vodka is sold in a bar before they decide on their holiday... Changes happen all the time to brands/types that's all I'm saying!!

If this were brands, and they were substituted by another, that would be one thing. Whole types of drinks have been taken out, it looks like close to half the choice you had before!

Does anyone have a copy of the new premium list? We were planning to upgrade once we were on the ship and want to make sure it is worth our while now.

Also, its been alluded to on the thread but I'd like to confirm as long as you have a 123Go package you can still upgrade for $11.50, yes?

This is all really unfortunate. If I had paid outright for my package I would have been a little miffed. Even if I had paid it wouldn't ruin my cruise though. It's too bad they couldn't have put out a memo in advance, I'm sure that would have helped a tiny bit.

If someone paid outright for the package, I would guess that they can cancel it prior to their cruise, which would solve their problem, or possibly cancel it onboard before they use it.

As a comparison what would X do if its drink suppliers offered brands A, B and C and celebrity paid in advance, then come delivery only brands A and B arrived and the suppliers wanted more cash for C . Would they pay up? Take them to the courts? Or tell them to stick it?

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

It's a matter of "materialness" and what the booking conditions provide. The cabin type and cabin fare are material to each other. The line will provide a prorated refund for a change in cabin type if they have to alter the reservation to a lesser cabin, likewise they won't charge more if they have to relocate to a higher cabin type.

And they should here too. It's a drinks package with a list of inclusions, and a substantial part of that package has been excised. That has materially changed what was bought/selected, so they should equally restitute those who took this up before the change.

A complimentary drink package and the offerings within it are not material to the overall cruise fare.

Of course they're not. Nobody said that the whole cruise fare should be refunded, so that's a straw man.

However, the list of inclusions for a drinks package are material to that package. That is the issue here.

If one actually PAID for a drink package and arrive to find it was altered, they do have the right to cancel the package and expect a full refund for it and not use the altered package. But a free package is a perk or gift.

And BOTH parties are affected here. This isn't about just people getting it for free, but both groups. There is no distinguishing between them. Those selecting the package gave up an alternative gift, so the package has value - not least as it was advertised as having that value to entice people to take it up.

While I won't say you are making an apples to oranges comparison, I would say its apples to crabapples....

Far from it, your attempt at a strawman is what is obscuring the thrust of the issue regarding the specific package.

Yes, how dare people be unsatisfied by not getting what the cruise line offered and they accepted! The nerve of some people.

The cruise line should just be able to substitute whatever it feels like, as long as it's still that broad category. Really, the cruise line should just save money and put those big blue water canisters everywhere. If you show your card, they'll just give you a drink of water from that. Hey, as long as it's unlimited and it's a drink, it qualifies!

Not factually correct!!

I think your find the cruise line can & does do exactly that... As long as it's considered a like for like product you are paying for or doesn't change the subject you are paying for... They might have changed the vodka or moved my fav whiskey to the premium package but they are still giving me the free drinks package!!

As a previous poster stated there have been a number of changes to celebrity over the last couple of years with things being removed from the cruise experience or replaced by something else.... Something's are done to improve the offer and some to improve the finances of the Buisness... Some good some not so good! All I'm saying is I can't believe how some people have reacted...

Maybe I should care more about it but in my honest opinion such trivial things don't have a negative effect on me or my holidays!

As a comparison what would X do if its drink suppliers offered brands A, B and C and celebrity paid in advance, then come delivery only brands A and B arrived and the suppliers wanted more cash for C . Would they pay up? Take them to the courts? Or tell them to stick it?

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

If they PAID for them, they would ask for a credit memo or a refund. Guests on X who paid for the drinks package and are dissatisfied can ask for a refund.

If the supplier provided to them as a gift/perk at no charge, then it would be quite rude indeed for X to say, "um, yeah thanks for the gift, but I want something better, as I know yesterday you gave me something better, so I expect it now forever every time you give me something at no cost to me".

That X in this equation may place its own value on the free gift in their decision to use that supplier, they can now use that loss of perceived value to determine next time if they will use the supplier again, or find another who gads better free gifts to give, or cancel their order completely and suffer any penalty, or restocking fees the supplier may charge them for not taking the rest of the order that is what they paid for.

Exactly. And here, people have also bought a package with certain inclusions: Baileys and whatever else.

The new package no longer has that... it's like a cabin without a balcony. You get some of the drinks, but not all that you paid for. Just like you get some of the cabin but not all that you paid for.

Maybe if that were true. But what's the substitute for Baileys? What's the substitute for Sambucca? What's the substitute for Ouzo? There's a whole slew of drinks that have apparently been excised from what people paid for.

If this were brands, and they were substituted by another, that would be one thing. Whole types of drinks have been taken out, it looks like close to half the choice you had before!

Kevinyork posted that some of what you are looking for are available, just not on the list.

A couple of quick answers.......Yes the four smaller martinis are still available within the package at the Martini bar. Rubydoodoo.........there are a couple of extra cocktails available that are not on the list, a BBC and Pina Colada for instance and presumably the ones you mention. Plus Baileys and Sambucca are available but not on the sheet.

Not factually correct!!

It wasn't a statement of facts.

However, some here are defending the removal of elements of what was purchased. What was posted was an accurate example of that taken to its logical conclusion drinks wise.

If the supplier provided to them as a gift/perk at no charge, then it would be quite rude indeed for X to say, "um, yeah thanks for the gift, but I want something better, as I know yesterday you gave me something better, so I expect it now forever every time you give me something at no cost to me".

Actually, if it was given as promotion e.g. buy 10 slates of beer, get 2 slates of Jagermeister free, then contractually they could not not deliver that. Bonuses are part of the contract. They weren't 'free', they were a promotional item with the offer and as such are part of the contract.

It would be "quite rude" as well as a breach of a contract for the supplier not to deliver it.

Maybe I've been doing it the wrong way all this time!

Me too! What is funny is that folks are all bent out of shape because they can not get their Baileys or Sambucca or a Pina Colada and then we find out from Kevinyork who is onboard a ship right now that they are available. I would think instead of getting all hot and bothered and threatening, maybe just wait and see how it unfolds. It was like the one (and I say ONE) poster who said that the food for the Elite breakfast was now being delivered on a three tiered tray, well you would have thought that the world had ended. Only to find out that it only happend on that ONE ship and others reported that it was still the regular buffet on their ship. If people would have waited a to see what was going on, they would not have wasted so much time and engergy on something that turned into nothing.

Quote:

And BOTH parties are affected here. This isn't about just people getting it for free, but both groups. There is no distinguishing between them. Those selecting the package gave up an alternative gift, so the package has value - not least as it was advertised as having that value to entice people to take it up.

Perceived value by a consumer isn't necessarily value. And it;s easy to distinguish the 2 groups, one put cash out of pocket for something, another was given a gift. And both accepted the terms and conditions whereby X can alter its offerings.

One can never complain about a freebie or gift unless they are rude. You graciously accept whatever is given and move on. Do those that chose OBC get to complain about that now that it won't go as far since all the prices have risen for specialties, drinks and so forth? Where does the complaining end?

The 123 isn't part of the cruise fare. It's that simple. It's a freebie/perk, that of course we all assign value to when making a decision, but we need to realize it's a gift and subject to change on a whim but the cruise line and not consider it a primary reason for our decision to book or not book a cabin. If we do, we set ourselves up for disappointment.

My last post on this as I'm now home and its filled my day with a lot of fun while stuck in traffic.... I will keep checking for the next thread to join in the fun with!! 😁

For the people that have paid for the package and feel you won't get their money's worth without baileys on the list it's simple... Cancel the package!

For those who got it for free I'm sure there's plenty still on the list to make it worth while having rather then the OBC that was also offered... Try some other drinks and enjoy!!! 🍺🍹🍷🍸😎

Edited by MR_T

Actually, if it was given as promotion e.g. buy 10 slates of beer, get 2 slates of Jagermeister free, then contractually they could not not deliver that. Bonuses are part of the contract. They weren't 'free', they were a promotional item with the offer and as such are part of the contract.

It would be "quite rude" as well as a breach of a contract for the supplier not to deliver it.

Agree. However note the Asterisk on the 123 promotions, even on the beverage package selection.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/genericHtmlTemplate.do?pagename=choose_your_offer

The asterisk point to this clause:

* Prices shown in U.S. Dollars. Prices are per person, cruise only, based on double occupancy unless stated otherwise, subject to change at any time without notice and subject to availability. Government taxes and fees are additional. Refer to the Cruise Ticket Contract for additional terms and conditions. - See more at: http://www.celebritycruises.com/genericHtmlTemplate.do?pagename=choose_your_offer#sthash.dSSQ1Jqp.dpuf

Guess what, they exercised their right to change it at this time, and make some items not available under the promotion.

Cntract is a contract, agreement is an agreement.

Perceived value by a consumer isn't necessarily value.

It's not just perceived value, but stated value by the cruise line.

When the cruise line made the offer, some of their promotion stated the value as a sales point.

And it;s easy to distinguish the 2 groups, one put cash out of pocket for something, another was given a gift. And both accepted the terms and conditions whereby X can alter its offerings.

It wasn't a "gift." It was a promotional item given as part of a purchase. If it was a gift, then it would be given without strings, but you could only get it as part of your booking, and therefore it forms part of that purchase consideration. It wasn't just given away randomly by e-mail to people who already booked, as a gift would be. It was an enticement to get people to book, and part of the booking - and as many found, subject to many conditions that meant many could not get it.

One can never complain about a freebie or gift unless they are rude.

Oh, this is funny. You are trying to blame the customer and say they should be happy with whatever they got.

As you're now talking about social morals, you might want to look up "Indian giver." That is also considered rude.

Do those that chose OBC get to complain about that now that it won't go as far since all the prices have risen for specialties, drinks and so forth?

They'd surely, and rightfully complain if they were equally shortchanged. You signed up for $300 OBC, but we've changed our terms and we're now only giving you $150. Don't be rude and complain now!

The 123 isn't part of the cruise fare. It's that simple. It's a freebie/perk, that of course we all assign value to when making a decision, but we need to realize it's a gift and subject to change on a whim but the cruise line and not consider it a primary reason for our decision to book or not book a cabin. If we do, we set ourselves up for disappointment.

That's incorrect. It is part of the cruise booking. You could only get it by making certain bookings at certain times, and it was offered as an enducement to make that booking. They didn't just give it away as a freebie to people after they made their booking. In fact, if you tried, you would be told "Tough" - since it wasn't free.

Edited by The_Big_M

Agree. However note the Asterisk on the 123 promotions, even on the beverage package selection.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/genericHtmlTemplate.do?pagename=choose_your_offer

The asterisk point to this clause:

* Prices shown in U.S. Dollars. Prices are per person, cruise only, based on double occupancy unless stated otherwise, subject to change at any time without notice and subject to availability. Government taxes and fees are additional. Refer to the Cruise Ticket Contract for additional terms and conditions. - See more at: http://www.celebritycruises.com/genericHtmlTemplate.do?pagename=choose_your_offer#sthash.dSSQ1Jqp.dpuf

Guess what, they exercised their right to change it at this time, and make some items not available under the promotion.

Cntract is a contract, agreement is an agreement.

I agree about it being written that way, but note that that is boilerplate wherever they have prices. Drinks packages are not "on a double occupancy basis."

Also, the wording relates to taking up the offer i.e. it may change between when you read it and then book it a week later. They're saying that the offer may not be available forever. That wording above doesn't mean that once you have bought it, what you have bought can materially change.

Me too! What is funny is that folks are all bent out of shape because they can not get their Baileys or Sambucca or a Pina Colada and then we find out from Kevinyork who is onboard a ship right now that they are available. I would think instead of getting all hot and bothered and threatening, maybe just wait and see how it unfolds. It was like the one (and I say ONE) poster who said that the food for the Elite breakfast was now being delivered on a three tiered tray, well you would have thought that the world had ended. Only to find out that it only happend on that ONE ship and others reported that it was still the regular buffet on their ship. If people would have waited a to see what was going on, they would not have wasted so much time and engergy on something that turned into nothing.

I'm not going to lie, the fact that Bailey's basically broke the board yesterday left me quite amused. All that energy spent on something no one has any control over...

Like you said, those that purchased the package can ask for a refund...those who got it for free are still getting a great selection of alcohol...FOR FREE.

I just want to board to go back to place where I can get happy feels about my upcoming cruise!

My understanding is that it was always drinks up to "x" amount. The US site didn't have a specific drinks list.

The same/similar issue happened with Azamara in the past 1-2 years. Azamara suddenly stopped offering their 25% off excursions booked in advance (which had been 50% off if booked 4 days before departure). Additionally, in the case of Azamara a number of UK TA"s were advertising the cruises as "All inclusive" while the US used the more accurate term "More inclusive". I thought the issue in the UK was the travel agents who were promptly told to stop the advertising. Could this be a similar situation, or as some said posted on Celebrity's own web site? If so, they need to change the list to say "Subject to Change". I do think they should give more warning such as changes effective on a certain date.

Sorry to hear Baileys is off the Classic list as it was the one drink I had most nights.