Drinks Package rises and Consumer Protection legislation.

Pushka

Two years ago is irrelevant. If you had waited until May to book, your cabin would be hundreds less without the package. Granted, not $98/day less, but hundreds less for a seven day cruise. I accepted the drink package because the cost was roughly $400 above the Florida resident rate.

and if I waited until May to book I would NOT have gotten the cabin I wanted or FREE drinks. BTW, two years ago is NOT irrelevant, folks are saying they RAISED the cost of the cabins when they were running the 123 Promo.:p

What happens, for example, if the manufacturer/supplier no longer produces that beverage? You were promised a Classic beverage package which allowed you all beverages up to a specific price. Any list of beverages you saw at the time was an example of what was available. In the same way that restaurants post menus on their website. You cannot sue the restaurant if a particular dish is not available when you get there.

I don't believe anyone has an issue with a specific issue of stock running out, being unavailable or otherwise changing. People understand that the above can happen, and with an individual item anyone would move on.

However, the difference here is a company controlled - rather than supplier controlled - change of apparently close to half the items from what is included in the package.

1% is insignificant. 50% is very significant. (And it may not be 50% as I haven't counted them, but it appears to be a significant change nonetheless.)

That is what is causing the complaints. The value of what has been bought has been altered apparently significantly.

That's the point exactly... Things change... suppliers put prices up and therefore end users end up paying a little more this year then they paid last year... It's the way of the world!!

Fine. But if you've bought something in advance, but then the supplier changes its nature significantly the contract is broken.

If Celebrity isn't willing to keep agreements about inclusions, it shouldn't offer something for advance purchase, and then significantly change it.

What an absolute pointless thread... Some people really have nothing better to do the moan about such trivial things!

OP - move on & either enjoy your FREE drinks package or pay the small fee to enjoy the higher fee brands! It's not really a deal breaker as to if your going to enjoy your holiday or not surely!!!

Life's to short... Drink another whiskey/vodka... Pay the upgrade charge... Most importantly enjoy your cruise on one of the best lines out there with the best offers around!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I will second that :):)

.................It's not really a deal breaker as to if your going to enjoy your holiday or not surely!!!

It obviously is to quite a few people, if all I've been reading is true then this may well be my last Celebrity cruise, they can't be trusted, lots off little changes seems to be breaking the camels back for a lot of people.

Fine. But if you've bought something in advance, but then the supplier changes its nature significantly the contract is broken.

If Celebrity isn't willing to keep agreements about inclusions, it shouldn't offer something for advance purchase, and then significantly change it.

I can't see how they have significantly changed anything... Prices go up across the whole planet every day of the week so sometimes things change... Regardless if you got the drinks package free or purchased it your still getting a drinks package!!!

On my last cruise they ran out of diet coke... How dare they... They said when I booked the cruise they have diet coke on board so what did I do.... Go to guest relations and moan & demand my cruise fare is refunded.... No I accepted that they have run out and moved on! Did it affect my holiday no it was still a great cruise on a great cruise line with great offers!

Maybe what they should do is once you have booked send out a form to each person boarding so everyone can list the exact brand of alcohol each person would like...

There's no pleasing some people I guess!!!

Maybe what they should do is once you have booked send out a form to each person boarding so everyone can list the exact brand of alcohol each person would like...

Saying stuff like that is just stupid.

All we are asking is to receive the package we signed up for.

Near enough what happens now, you chose the offer that suits you, it all gets booked then they change it.

Saying stuff like that is just stupid.

All we are asking is to receive the package we signed up for.

You are... a drinks package that covers a wide selection of alcohol beverages!! Just because it doesn't include a certain brand of whiskey or baileys your still getting a drinks package which is what you purchased or got for free!! Not an allocation of certain drinks of your choice!!

Personally I think there has been many stupid comments on this thread but don't choose to label individuals... Maybe that just goes to show what sort of person you are... We are all different I guess!! Some people can handle a debate some can't and get all worked up about it!! 😎

Cancelling now is not an option. Something to do with booked flights, hotels yada yada. Insurance wont cover that. Nor will a simple refund of a cruise price. And the cruise line knows that!

Given this has just happened, how on earth do you expect any action to have been taken by the relevant authorities?

These are not the ONLY changes to happen recently, these are new this week/month, I refer to

• the changes in aqua spa menu,
  • price increase in the spa in april,
  • michaels clubs closings that started in January,
  • cost of beverage package price increase recently late last year,
  • a month or more with no limes on board for gin and tonics, even though the pictures show limes in the drinks,
  • the brunch that ended in March,
  • the sting quartets that were removed last year
  • The removal of Enomatic wine machines

.....the list of changes goes on and on, changes that were, maybe still are features in many brochures, web sites, etc. that were in place when folks booked over a year ago.

NONE of those things seems to have caused issue with authorities, so neither will these recent changes.

Edited by cle-guy

I thought there is enough competition in that market,,,MMMMm maybe not. Next week my first Celebrity Cruise is coming up...... maybe my last???? I don't buy a Mercedes and end up with a Golf, it does not mater what is in the contract. I feel disappointed in my expectations and cheated. For a first time Celebrity Cruiser it is a bad experience!

Near enough what happens now, you chose the offer that suits you, it all gets booked then they change it.

I booked a flight once and it was on a plane that had a seat configuration of 3/3/3.... After booking & paid in full they changed it to a 3/4/3 seat configuration... I mean I booked seats for 3 people in the isle and then find out we had a stranger next to one of us.... Outrage how very dare they do that!!! O second thought did it matter of course not I boarded at my departure point and landed at my chosen destination... That's what I booked...

Try to enjoy your free drinks everyone!!! I know I will 😁

I thought there is enough competition in that market,,,MMMMm maybe not. Next week my first Celebrity Cruise is coming up...... maybe my last???? I don't buy a Mercedes and end up with a Golf, it does not mater what is in the contract. I feel disappointed in my expectations and cheated. For a first time Celebrity Cruiser it is a bad experience!

Don't worry about not enjoying your first celebrity cruise... You will have a great time!

These boards all full of people that like a good old fashioned moan...

Celebrity is a great brand and offer some of the best deals out there! I for one am hoping they continue to offer the free or chargeable drinks package as its a no brainer to help you enjoy your holiday! 😃

[*]a month or more with no limes on board for gin and tonics, even though the pictures show limes in the drinks,

[*]

That just made me laugh... 😁

NONE of those things seems to have caused issue with authorities, so neither will these recent changes.

Well said!

I think all we want is a comprehensive list from Celebrity. Then everyone, including the bar staff will know what is in and what is out.

It is pointless to say drinks up to such an amount are free. How do we know the price of every drink available.

If the list is too difficult then do a list which says 'excluding the following drinks'.

Then we all know where we are. If needed, they could then amend the list with a little note saying 'apologies, these drinks are no longer on the classic package as the purchase price has risen above the $9 or whatever threshold. It is the fact that we don't know for sure what is available that is causing the problems.

We are not really drinkers so will probably not have a problem, but there are some liqueurs I enjoy. My favourites were in the original list, but not sure now.

No big deal for us, but would save so much time and embarrassment if we all knew what we could order.

Edited by shoreham01
typo

No big deal for us, but would save so much time and embarrassment if we all knew what we could order.

I simply tell the bar server what package I have then ask them if my drink of choice is part of that and they then can let me know, or serve a substitute liquor that matches. I do this often in the MDR when selecting wine, tell them to get me a nice cabernet that falls in the classic package for example. No embarrassment whatsoever.

In martini, they will often make a small version of a martini to fit it in the package, especially during 'off peak' times.

I think all we want is a comprehensive list from Celebrity. Then everyone, including the bar staff will know what is in and what is out.

I think they want to keep lists as few and short as they can, to avoid exactly what's happening here in these threads, "here's proof they changed it" "well, here's my list from last cruise" then people run with that as "fact" and end up disappointed as they get on board 6 months later.

They are a business allowed to make business decisions and change their pricing as they see fit to drive bottom line profits. If people leave the line en masse then they will change pricing, but as I say over and over, they are sailing full, and there are lots of new passengers wanting to take the place of anyone who leaves. They will adjust pricing and offerings little by little watching the supply and demand curve to determine how far they can push the envelope before they start losing profit over changes - as a good business should do.

With full ships, al they can do is drive on board spending, to do that they have to change package pricing and offerings to entice additional spend. It's that simple..

This is probably one of the most ridiculous posts.

Hey. Maybe next time you should pay for a suite then be put into an inside cabin because the suite was unavailable due to "operational reasons". Don't complain. You got a bed. You were on the ship. You didn't get murdered. You were fine.

I've found that exaggeration and ridiculous comparisons say more about the poster than the discussion point they think they are making.

I agree

I think they want to keep lists as few and short as they can, to avoid exactly what's happening here in these threads, "here's proof they changed it" "well, here's my list from last cruise" then people run with that as "fact" and end up disappointed as they get on board 6 months later.

They are a business allowed to make business decisions and change their pricing as they see fit to drive bottom line profits. If people leave the line en masse then they will change pricing, but as I say over and over, they are sailing full, and there are lots of new passengers wanting to take the place of anyone who leaves. They will adjust pricing and offerings little by little watching the supply and demand curve to determine how far they can push the envelope before they start losing profit over changes - as a good business should do.

With full ships, al they can do is drive on board spending, to do that they have to change package pricing and offerings to entice additional spend. It's that simple..

Exactly... Very simple indeed!

While we agree with cle-guy, I must say that we have noticed X's slow decline through the years. Especially in the food. We still enjoy the Celebrity ambiance and the perks of being an Elite, although even that has been downgraded.

We too, have the "free" classic package and chose to stay with that and not upgrade to the Premium because the drinks offered at the time, especially the wines,were adequate.

But now I've found a deal on a luxury all-inclusive brand for only a couple hundred more than what we paid for our upcoming Celebrity Med. cruise.

We're seriously thinking of changing to the luxury brand as we're still outside final payment. This line includes ALL spirits in it's fare including fine wines with very few exceptions.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that IMO Celebrity needs to listen to what their customers are saying if they want them to keep coming back.

While we realize that they are a business that must make periodic changes to their product, they should realize that their guests are also free to make changes as well.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

Edited by webecruzin2

I've found that exaggeration and ridiculous comparisons say more about the poster than the discussion point they think they are making.

I also think the negative comments about such trivial issues speak volumes about the type of people making them...

I guess once this thread is closed for unfriendly comments the moaners will just show up on another anti celebrity thread...

Look forward to seeing all the moaners on another tread sometime soon!! I'm sure if won't be long!! 😁

Here's how to:

The UK Consumer Affairs site only allows reporting for major things like Telecom, Airlines, etc. No vacations or cruises specifically. They do provide a link to a Consumer Affairs site that deals with misleading advertisements, which seems to be the nature of the complaints in these forums. Here is a link to the brochure they provide itemizing the process and how to lodger the complaint, including a phone number to call:

http://www.asa.org.uk/Consumers/~/me...gle_Final.ashx

In Australia, I found this link to lodge a complain on-line in NSW (seems each territory has its own complaint process)

https://www.cas.fairtrading.nsw.gov....ntType=general

Someone, ANYONE who thinks their rights have been trampled, please file the complaint for the sake of us all. I await hearing the outcome of these complaints.

I can't see how they have significantly changed anything... Prices go up across the whole planet every day of the week so sometimes things change... Regardless if you got the drinks package free or purchased it your still getting a drinks package!!!

Right, by that logic if you book a balcony, then you can get assigned an oceanview, after all you're still getting a cabin!!!