Is Carnival Falling Behind?

stevenr597

I'm really not sure why you're making this stuff up. I especially like the tone of the last sentence. It's like your idea of cruising is better. You sound like my wife when she doesn't like an idea, "Fine, if that's what you want." Too funny. :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While I might have said it differently, there def is a "the ship is the destination" with Allure and Oasis. My experience (although you have sailed these mega ships many more time based upon your signature), was along the lines of it not being a cruise but more of an experience of a Disney vacation. Look at the speed these two sail at and less ports of call. Quantum takes that even further. If falling behind means not having lots and lots or rides or no MDR experience, then I am all for falling behind.

I'm really not sure why you're making this stuff up. I especially like the tone of the last sentence. It's like your idea of cruising is better. You sound like my wife when she doesn't like an idea, "Fine, if that's what you want." Too funny. :D

I am not "making up" anything. This is how the Oasis and Allure have been referred to. Nothing new here. RCCL Passengers sail on them for the on-board experience -- not the ports.

Central Park has been "recreated" as a neighborhood. There is also a carosel on board -- hence "amusement park" connotation.

If you go to Europe, would you not want to get off the ship and see what is in the port? However, with the Oasis and Allure in the Caribbean, passengers want to "experience" the ship and be able to say that they sailed on it. They have clearly stated that the whole thing is about the ship and what it has to offer and really don't care if the ship just sailed nowhere.

MARAPRINCE

Edited by Maraprince

I am not "making up" anything. This is how the Oasis and Allure have been referred to. Nothing new here. RCCL Passengers sail on them for the on-board experience -- not the ports.

Central Park has been "recreated" as a neighborhood. There is also a carosel on board -- hence "amusement park" connotation.

If you go to Europe, would you not want to get off the ship and see what is in the port? However, with the Oasis and Allure in the Caribbean, passengers want to "experience" the ship and be able to say that they sailed on it. They have clearly stated that the whole thing is about the ship and what it has to offer and really don't care if the ship just sailed nowhere.

MARAPRINCE

The amusement parks sail full and there's two more coming. Somebody must like them.

While I might have said it differently, there def is a "the ship is the destination" with Allure and Oasis. My experience (although you have sailed these mega ships many more time based upon your signature), was along the lines of it not being a cruise but more of an experience of a Disney vacation. Look at the speed these two sail at and less ports of call. Quantum takes that even further. If falling behind means not having lots and lots or rides or no MDR experience, then I am all for falling behind.

No doubt Jimbo. They are the destination. To say that someone sailed them just to say they sailed them is just hyperbole. Just for the record, they aren't my first choice of ships. They've all been family trips. We prefer the Freedom class and Celebrity's Solstice class. We won't sail Carnival again until they put out something new.

Edited by Big_G

I am not "making up" anything.

MARAPRINCE

Many RCCL passengers booked these ships to be able to said they sailed on them ...

Unfortunately you are.

As I stated earlier in this thread (waaaay earlier, like I can't believe this is still even going! LOL)......I cruise for the ports!!! Go to Disney if you want rides. Or do a destination vacation to a place with a huge water park if you want that. I cruise TO GO SOMEWHERE. Is that really that unusual???? Think about that for a minute. TO.GO.SOMEWHERE. All everyone on here has talked about is what every ship has and what it doesn't have. Yes, that matters to a degree, but honestly, it shouldn't be most of the reason to cruise. Maybe half or less, but not most. If it is most of the reason you cruise, then I would consider a land vacation with even more perkier rides, water slides, etc., and even some shows. I hear Vegas has really become more of that type of destination now.

Does that mean I'm a Carnival cheerleader? Not really. But as long as their ports are interesting and are going to places the other guys AREN'T going to, during spring break (yes, I like the exotic ports of S. Carrib. and the ABC islands)....then Carnival will be #1 unless their food suddenly becomes disgusting, or something like that. We have to eat for crying out loud. As long as the food is decent (and even above decent when we visit the steakhouse), and it's peaceful on my balcony on Lido, and the ports are superb, then I'll continue cruising on Carnival. Would I do a small ship to the Bahamas on Carnival? Only if it was free (not interested in those ports or the small ships:rolleyes::p). They DO need to do something soon about their nighttime entertainment though.

Unfortunately you are.

Have you even sailed on a RCCL ship or any other line? I am diamond with RCCL and will soon be platinum on Carnival. Many times I have sailed with Cunard, Holland, Celebrity, Princess and even NCL. Or do you just lurk on this board and insult posters?

I resent being called a liar. Go over to the RCCL boards and see the reasons why passengers sail on the Oasis and the Allure...certainly not for the ports.

You should be more careful with your wording. It is very offensive.

MARAPRINCE

The point is not to compare specific features in regards to Carnival as to lines such as NCL or RCCL. It is not even to state whether one likes Carnival or not.

The point of the threat is that Carnival used to be very innovative in regards to their ships and amenities on them. Over the past several years Carnival has made price, specifically to be the lowest price, their primarily objective. They have still come out with some innovations such as an enhanced Burger Bar and new "Pubs" on the ship, but these cannot compare to the innovations on many of the other cruise lines such as RCCL and NCL. Carnival used to compete with RCCL, now they leave that up to Princess.

Can a model which stresses price before quality continue to compete? That is the question that will be played out over the next several years. Just remember Zayres, Woolco, K Mart, Sears, Pan Am Airlines, Safeway, A&P as business that could not.

Edited by stevenr597
Can Carnival Compete

To say that someone sailed them just to say they sailed them is just hyperbole. We won't sail Carnival again until they put out something new.

Are you trying to confuse me with big words like that?;) You will have to wait a bit on a new ship. It will be interesting to see if you think the Vista meets that criteria when they come our with some renderings and/or details.

The point is not to compare specific features in regards to Carnival as to lines such as NCL or RCCL. It is not even to state whether one likes Carnival or not.

The point of the threat is that Carnival used to be very innovative in regards to their ships and amenities on them. Over the past several years Carnival has made price, specifically to be the lowest price, their primarily objective. They have still come out with some innovations such as an enhanced Burger Bar and new "Pubs" on the ship, but these cannot compare to the innovations on many of the other cruise lines such as RCCL and NCL. Carnival used to compete with RCCL, now they leave that up to Princess.

Can a model which stresses price before quality continue to compete? That is the question that will be played out over the next several years. Just remember Zayres, Woolco, K Mart, Sears, Pan Am Airlines, Safeway, A&P as business that could not.

Excellent observations. I for one believe that the 2.0 upgrades werent really innovative as they added restaurants and bars that could be found on another line(s) albeit by a different name. For example Red Frog is just CCL's version of NCL's O'Sheehans and Guys and the Mexican place offer nothing that I cant get at NCL's Blue Lagoon or O'Sheehans, but that is once again simply my opinion, doesnt make it right or wrong.

Carnival has always been the value leader, not the last couple of years. What is it that Princess has for innovations? Is a mega liner innovative (other than it is hard to believe that it floats) in and of itself? When and where did the quality question come into play?

Carnival was started by ted arison who sole mission in creating Carnival Cruise lines was to bring cruising to average american citizen. He wanted to bring families to cruising. Gone are the days of retired only and honeymoon only cruisers. Carnival has allways stressed pricing for the average american. It has worked for 40 plus years. IMHO it will continue to work regaurdless of what the wanna be econminest and wanna be expert cruise ship designers here on cruise critic says.

Edited by kybluecruiser

Carnival was started by ted arison who sole mission in creating Carnival Cruise lines was to bring cruising to average american citizen. He wanted to bring families to cruising. Gone are the days of retired only and honeymoon only cruisers. Carnival has allways stressed pricing for the average american. It has worked for 40 plus years. IMHO it will continue to work regaurdless of what the wanna be econminest and wanna be expert cruise ship designers here on cruise critic says.

Carnival staying the course is working fine for them, but to say they are keeping up with the other lines is absurd. They are being left in the dust. By design. ;)

Have you even sailed on a RCCL ship or any other line? I am diamond with RCCL and will soon be platinum on Carnival. Many times I have sailed with Cunard, Holland, Celebrity, Princess and even NCL. Or do you just lurk on this board and insult posters?

I resent being called a liar. Go over to the RCCL boards and see the reasons why passengers sail on the Oasis and the Allure...certainly not for the ports.

You should be more careful with your wording. It is very offensive.

MARAPRINCE

Sorry you feel offended but I quoted your comment. People don't cruise a ship 'just to said (sic) they sailed it.' I'm not sure why you would say that. On a side note and only because you asked, we've sailed four different lines, Royal included. I think you have mistaken me for a Carnival hater. That's not the case.

Sorry you feel offended but I quoted your comment. People don't cruise a ship 'just to said (sic) they sailed it.' I'm not sure why you would say that. On a side note and only because you asked, we've sailed four different lines, Royal included. I think you have mistaken me for a Carnival hater. That's not the case.

Actually that not quite true. I had every intention of sailing every one of the Fantasy class but I couldn't keep up after 6, and wouldn't do Paradise anyway. Once the balcony ships came out, we never even looked at that class again.

Carnival staying the course is working fine for them, but to say they are keeping up with the other lines is absurd. They are being left in the dust. By design. ;)

Sounds more like delusions of grander to me.:eek: Where is dust on the sea anyway? Is it not dust in the wind? Kansas Concert series Another first.....

Carnival has always been the value leader, not the last couple of years. What is it that Princess has for innovations? Is a mega liner innovative (other than it is hard to believe that it floats) in and of itself? When and where did the quality question come into play?

Youre mixing hyperboles. Carnival WAS the value leader, until they drop price and experience (service, quality, entertainment).

They bottomed out at cheap. But to say that's where they want to be, we need that guy that always posts that Carnival, and anyone for that matter, wants the highest $$ they can get, and that's flatlined due to the series of missteps of the last two and a half years.

Youre mixing hyperboles. Carnival WAS the value leader, until they drop price and experience (service, quality, entertainment).

They bottomed out at cheap. But to say that's where they want to be, we need that guy that always posts that Carnival, and anyone for that matter, wants the highest $$ they can get, and that's flatlined due to the series of missteps of the last two and a half years.

The only thing that I can agree on is that they had two missteps over the past two years. Read up my friend, most here agree with me.

No doubt Jimbo. They are the destination. To say that someone sailed them just to say they sailed them is just hyperbole. Just for the record, they aren't my first choice of ships. They've all been family trips. We prefer the Freedom class and Celebrity's Solstice class. We won't sail Carnival again until they put out something new.

The largest RCI ship DW and I have sailed is Freedom of the Seas. We didn't use many of the amenities, Rock Wall, Flow Rider, Ice Skate, Portofino, Chops, Johnny Rockets, etc., but still had a good time. We did go to the ice show and it was the best show we saw on the ship. BTW, we are both mid 60's and retired.

As for Oasis and/or Allure, we would like to sail either, and yes just to see what all the talk is about (good and bad), and not the Ports. I keep checking, but the price is still too high for us, especially since we aren't sure we would be content.

Edited by Georgiagolfer
spelling

Carnival in the past was very innovative in the design of their ships as well as the quality of the food and shows at a budget price. Most recently they have, in respect to this, lost their edge.

The major innovation in respect to Princess, in the past, was the level of service and a more sophisticated atmosphere on their ships. In addition, ships like the Coral Princess and Grand Princess were also quite innovative in design and function. We recently cruised on Royal Princess and had expected great things, but were disappointed. They are now more in the class of RCCL.

What has happened. Princess has become the counterpart of RCCL and Carnival has concentrated on price, not quality.

The only thing that I can agree on is that they had two missteps over the past two years. Read up my friend, most here agree with me.

At the risk of sounding argumentative, I have to disagree about the missteps. The Costa Concordia was very specifically the work of a rogue employee, and the Triumph, well, I think it can rightfully be filed under "stuff happens". Not a whole lot that the companies could do about either, imo. They certainly got bad press over both incidents, which is understandable, but again, unless both companies had crystal balls, there wasn't a whole lot they could do, until they had to fall back on damage control.

At the risk of sounding argumentative, I have to disagree about the missteps. The Costa Concordia was very specifically the work of a rogue employee, and the Triumph, well, I think it can rightfully be filed under "stuff happens". Not a whole lot that the companies could do about either, imo. They certainly got bad press over both incidents, which is understandable, but again, unless both companies had crystal balls, there wasn't a whole lot they could do, until they had to fall back on damage control.

I think hell just froze over!;)