UBP Price Increase

SeaShark

I think people buy the UBP not with the intention of breaking even, but with the intention of having everything paid for (with the exception of a few incidentals) prior to sailing. I know when we go to Didney, we buy the deluxe dining package, more food than we could ever eat, but it's paid for. All the "cash" I bring in our trips is for non essentials items.

We are passing on the UBP, this time, but as LrgPizza knows....I'm down with OBC. I'm making it rain with my OBC.

Did he or Didney? hehehe.

Sippin' on gin and juice, laid back, with my mind on my money and my money on my mind

I was simply saying "Disney", rapper style.... hehehe

ha! that made me snort.

I'm one of those who likes to budget - spending roughly what the package costs. So we get it because it's easy. I'm certainly not losing hundreds - and I think we came out ahead on Breakaway.

I will most likely not get it on Getaway because my MIL will have to get it as well as soda packages for my kids who don't drink soda.

Does anyone know if I can use one credit card for my kids (who are in a room with my MIL) and a different one for me & hubs in our room - making us not "linked" so they wouldn't need to buy the packages?

I posted a spreadsheet that breaks down the UBP if you want to play with it! Gave it its own thread.

The spreadsheet is a thing of beauty. I feel like I'm admitting some sort of bad habit as I enter the number of drinks I plan on consuming.

Almost like charting the dreaded diet log. Ugh - Reality sucks!!

ha! that made me snort.

I'm one of those who likes to budget - spending roughly what the package costs. So we get it because it's easy. I'm certainly not losing hundreds - and I think we came out ahead on Breakaway.

I will most likely not get it on Getaway because my MIL will have to get it as well as soda packages for my kids who don't drink soda.

Does anyone know if I can use one credit card for my kids (who are in a room with my MIL) and a different one for me & hubs in our room - making us not "linked" so they wouldn't need to buy the packages?

Not sure if that would work but if they are on your mom's CC or you give her cash to put on their account, it should work. Using a CC in your name, even if it's not the same one as you use will link them to you.

Edited by peg013

It appears that every beverage under $10 is now included. At least that is my take. You be the judge:

Old UBP language:

“ Thank you for purchasing Norwegian’s Ultimate Beverage Package. Your package includes a variety of spirits and cocktails that are valued at $8.50 or less, draft beer $5.95 and under, bottled beer $5.50 and under, glasses of wine under $10 and unlimited fountain soda and juices at all bars, lounges, restaurants and the Great Stirrup Cay.

Package does not include room service, package sales, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated Super Premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, wine by the glass over $10, bottled beer over $5.50, draft beer over $5.95, mini bar purchases, bottled water, fresh squeezed juices, select Lavazza coffee beverages or energy drinks. One (1) beverage per person per transaction.”

New UBP language:

“Norwegian's Ultimate Beverage Package includes a variety of spirits, cocktails, draft beer, bottled beer and glasses of wine up to $10 and unlimited fountain soda and juices at all bars, lounges, restaurants and the Great Stirrup Cay. A 20% discount will be applied to all bottles of wine purchased on board.

The Ultimate Beverage Package does not include room service, package sales, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated Super Premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, mini bar purchases, bottled water, fresh squeezed juices, select Lavazza coffee beverages, energy drinks, vending machines, wine stations or spirits, cocktails, draft or bottled beer and glasses of wine over $10. One (1) beverage per person per transaction. Package can be used in all restaurants, lounges, bars and Great Stirrup Cay.”

Nice comparison, thanks.

Seems to be more understandable for both guest and crew now, with a wider choice I am up for the higher price. :cool:

Agreed x 2!! ;) :D

We had been considering the UBP at the old price - and probably still are even with the increase. Especially since "my" martinis would now be included - at $9.75 each - but were not on the previous plan.

I am still a little confused about sodas....are they included in the UBP?? I see the list of what is NOT included above - but does that mean that sodas are included. :confused:

Now the decision seems to be buy on board applying our OBC - or prepay to get the discount! Hmmm....something else to think about! :cool:

Edited by happy cruzin

Agreed x 2!! ;) :D

We had been considering the UBP at the old price - and probably still are even with the increase. Especially since "my" martinis would now be included - at $9.75 each - but were not on the previous plan.

I am still a little confused about sodas....are they included in the UBP?? I see the list of what is NOT included above - but does that mean that sodas are included. :confused:

Now the decision seems to be buy on board applying our OBC - or prepay to get the discount! Hmmm....something else to think about! :cool:

Yes, sodas are included.

You are probably right: the wine per glass prices for house choice went up from $5.75 in Dec to about $7 on our cruise last week. Of course the prices on land have also gone up. It is not unusual to see a glass of wine at $8 or more.

I live in NY and I have never seen a glass of wine at a restaurant at $5.75. If I did, I would buy the bottle and drink it at my table :)

Even $7 is a stretch LOL

Wow with this increase the true value price of my Haven 2BR dropped to $450.00. I am sorry I didn't book 2 cruises on the Freesome promo.

I booked (well rebooked) the Breakaway Haven 2BR for the freesome promo.

There are 6 of us in the cabin, 3 of which are over 21. We all got the UBP (my dh and I had last year and loved the freedom of it and came out $200+ ahead). We also go the first two people for free for UDP. We purchased the package for the rest of the 4 of us so we are all set!

I like NCL, but than again I like every cruise line and cruise I've tried to date. My last cruise was on the Celebrity Reflection which is their newest ship.

On Celebrity, all ocean view and balcony rooms include the drink package at no cost or an on board credit or tips included.

My next planned cruise is on Epic primarily as we're bringing our 10 yr old. It's hard for me to justify spending this much more to include a drink package on a line that I don't love quite as much.

On Celebrity, all ocean view and balcony rooms include the drink package at no cost or an on board credit or tips included.

Thank you for this information. I have not sailed Celebrity yet. We sailed a couple of times DCL and CCL. We are one away from Diamond on RCCL and have taken 4 NCL, our next NCL in August. I very much enjoy having the drink package on my cruises. We do come out ahead but even if broke even, would pay just to take that big chunck out of our bill since, even though we are a family of 4 (20 year old and 16 year old) it seems my bill mostly consists of alcohol from my dh and me LOL

Anyway, I would like to try Celebrity and their newer ships. So it is correct, all Celebrity ships, if I book a balcony (or even an ocean view), I get the beverage package, which includes alcohol?? THANKS so much!

[quote name=L

Anyway, I would like to try Celebrity and their newer ships. So it is correct, all Celebrity ships, if I book a balcony (or even an ocean view), I get the beverage package, which includes alcohol?? THANKS so much![/quote]

Yes, it's a special but they seem to be running it all the time. I have found salings for almost the same price as NCL, so if you are taking the drink package Celebrity could be over $900 less for a couple. Trust me, the S class ships are nice, very nice.

Because so many people have the drink package, the ships are very lively. Anyone who says there full of old people in rockers is simply spouting what they've heard as the line is changing and very nice. There won't be any slides or Blue Man groups or bowling however.

I like NCL, but than again I like every cruise line and cruise I've tried to date. My last cruise was on the Celebrity Reflection which is their newest ship.

My next planned cruise is on Epic primarily as we're bringing our 10 yr old. It's hard for me to justify spending this much more to include a drink package on a line that I don't love quite as much.

The Pick Your Perk special that Celebrity was running expired 4/30 That special gave those who booked an OV cat or greater the choice of Free Gratuities, Free OBC, Free Airfare, or Free Classic Drink package valued at $49.00 a day. I am a diehard Platinum NCL cruiser. However I was able to snag an OV cabin on the Summit to Bermuda. Fare was $250.00 cheaper per person then The Breakaway plus we will be getting the free drink package...NO BRAINER since I was already on Breakaway last Summer. BTW Celebrity just raised prices on certain wines and Spirits taking them out of the catagory of Classic Drink package. Causing many to consider "upgrading" to their premium package for an extra $10.00 a day. You have to wonder if NCL will raise ala carte drink prices to make their drink package more appealing ?

Edited by NYcruzzer

Thank you for this information. I have not sailed Celebrity yet. We sailed a couple of times DCL and CCL. We are one away from Diamond on RCCL and have taken 4 NCL, our next NCL in August. I very much enjoy having the drink package on my cruises. We do come out ahead but even if broke even, would pay just to take that big chunck out of our bill since, even though we are a family of 4 (20 year old and 16 year old) it seems my bill mostly consists of alcohol from my dh and me LOL

Anyway, I would like to try Celebrity and their newer ships. So it is correct, all Celebrity ships, if I book a balcony (or even an ocean view), I get the beverage package, which includes alcohol?? THANKS so much!

Celebrity and RCCL are owned by the same company. They offer equivalent recognition in Celebrity's Captain Club for members in the Crown & Anchor Society on RCCL. See this link for more details: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=971&faqSubjectId=340

We traveled up the Pacific Coast on the Celebrity Solstice last Spring and it was a very nice ship, especially with a free beverage package that included bottled water, juice, and coffee drinks. But, the entertainment was not as fun as NCL.

I really wish the bottled water was included. I love that it is included in RCI's package - gotta stay hydrated and its super helpful for days in port.

I am undecided on whether to do this package or not. Will probably end up doing it, but if there was a higher priced package that included water would totally do it, as lame as that sounds. I like the package for the convenience, not because of any huge cost savings.

I really wish the bottled water was included. I love that it is included in RCI's package - gotta stay hydrated and its super helpful for days in port.

I am undecided on whether to do this package or not. Will probably end up doing it, but if there was a higher priced package that included water would totally do it, as lame as that sounds. I like the package for the convenience, not because of any huge cost savings.

Absolutely astounding that the bean counters worry about making an

outrageous profit on a bottle of water and then let the alcohol flow freely !

The UNLIMITED BEVERAGE PACKAGE on ANY cruise ship should be just that

---***UNLIMITED***--- !!!!!

So what part of UNLIMITED do these cruise lines not understand !

And really how many folks are going to exclusively drink bottled water -

I wonder what is in the water at the bean counters corporate headquarters !

AND don't get me started on the specialty coffee - a thimble full of food coloring

and what do you get coffee brown colored water served hot add a half a

teaspoon of flavoring and voila specialty coffee ! Hey Juan Valdez turn the

ship around and set a course for Columbia and I will show you special coffee !

Absolutely astounding that the bean counters worry about making an

outrageous profit on a bottle of water and then let the alcohol flow freely !

The UNLIMITED BEVERAGE PACKAGE on ANY cruise ship should be just that

---***UNLIMITED***--- !!!!!

So what part of UNLIMITED do these cruise lines not understand !

I thought it was Ultimate Beverage Package, not Unlimited, although when you define Ultimate, I guess it doesn't make much difference anyway.

Even at the lower rate per day, it's way too much for us, so no matter.

So, SeaShark and others who might know or have "sources"...have you heard any rumblings to the effect that they might change the drink prices onboard to pull the martini's and such above the new $10 limit? For me, that is the question o' the day...

The ONLY thing I've heard about increased individual drink prices are those expressed as opinion by people on this thread (see Post #45 for example).

No one has offered anything to say this is anything but pure speculation.

The ONLY thing I've heard about increased individual drink prices are those expressed as opinion by people on this thread (see Post #45 for example).

No one has offered anything to say this is anything but pure speculation.

Yeah, but just in case, everyone should drink extra while they can. No one wants to pass up a bargain.

NCL probably doesn't need to include bottled water since the tap water on NCL ships is very good.

Did you see the words "just in case" in my post? Try to keep up, SeaShark.

Yes I did, but that doesn't change the fact that you recommend reacting (just in case) to a rumor as equating to a bargain.

So you still haven't explained how the rumor equates to a bargain for anyone in anycase.

I'll wait while you catch your breath.