Christopher Columbus & Labadee... Wow!

Has anyone else noticed in the news about the possible finding of the Santa Maria that the location of the wreckage is extremely close to Labadee?

I can't help but think how amazing it is that on December 25, 1492 Christopher Columbus was within feet of what is now Labadee and how each time we visit Labadee we are seeing what he saw... It's pretty impressive!

Its a shame, really. I love Labadee but can't stand Chris. I'd rather not be so close to one of his ships of horrors while I'm enjoying a very fabulous vacation.

I'm not a fan either, but I still appreciate the history. It reminds me of walking around in the American South, particularly a city like Charleston, and knowing what kinds of horrible things happened right where you're standing. I hate that they happened, I like to think that I wouldn't have participated, but the bottom line is that it's our history, and I find it fascinating to be that close to it.

Its a shame, really. I love Labadee but can't stand Chris. I'd rather not be so close to one of his ships of horrors while I'm enjoying a very fabulous vacation.

Then you can relax. The site of La Navidad is more than 100 miles down the coast from Labadee

Yep, folks in the South will have to carry the burden of not letting go of slavery at the same time as our northern brothers. As a country we have done many things to not be proud of, but this is not a forum for those topics. I agree about what Columbus and his men did to the islands of the Caribbean was brutal and horrific, but that does not make me less interested in the discovery.

:confused:A ship of horrors? Did you miss lobster night when you sailed with Chis? Political correctness in this case is so lame.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Yes, Chris' ships were ones of horrors. He was directly responsible for the slave trade through his actions on Hispanola. In addition, you can track the troubles of modern Haitians to the actions of Chris and his crew. Or have you not read any of his own words?

As for the remark that its 100 miles away, that's 100 miles too close to my favorite little beach. :)

Edited by cruisnseas

Yes, Chris' ships were ones of horrors. He was directly responsible for the slave trade through his actions on Hispanola. In addition, you can track the troubles of modern Haitians to the actions of Chris and his crew. Or have you not read any of his own words?

As for the remark that its 100 miles away, that's 100 miles too close to my favorite little beach. :)

Unfortunately Chris didn't invent slavery. I would imagine you have a hard time visiting most every country given the atrocities committed throughout history by all cultures.

The Haiti Coastal Tour excursion in Labadee will bring you over to a bay / harbor that Columbus had sailed in to only a few miles from Pt. Saint Honore (Labadee). Very interesting.

I read the scientist wants the Haiti government to preserve/protect the site. I imagine that's priority 9,534 for the Haitian government or what exists of it. I hope scientists can document whatever they can before it all vanishes to time and mother ocean.

The Haiti Coastal Tour excursion in Labadee will bring you over to a bay / harbor that Columbus had sailed in to only a few miles from Pt. Saint Honore (Labadee). Very interesting.

I read the scientist wants the Haiti government to preserve/protect the site. I imagine that's priority 9,534 for the Haitian government or what exists of it. I hope scientists can document whatever they can before it all vanishes to time and mother ocean.

I read the hope was that it may even be possible to raise the remnants of the hull and potentially open a museum in Haiti. It could very well become a solid tourist attraction. The pitfall is, as you've stated, the lack of a government and infrastructure. :cool:

I read the hope was that it may even be possible to raise the remnants of the hull and potentially open a museum in Haiti. It could very well become a solid tourist attraction. The pitfall is, as you've stated, the lack of a government and infrastructure. :cool:

I mean the technology for a lift exists, whether the structure of the remains would disintegrate or not is another story; or whether they would be able to save a few structural pieces and re-construct a "new" wreckage around it for a museum.

Haiti is about the poorest nation in the western hemisphere and there is so much plight that I doubt anything of historic or civil significance would happen.

Does anyone recall the old Labadee tenders named after the C.C. explorer ships? I could swear I saw at least Nina and Pinta at Coco Cay recently.

It's neat they found a very old ship in the water.

However I would be sad if people didn't do some research on Columbus and the effects he had to an entire civilization before celebrating him.

However I would be sad if people didn't do some research on Columbus and the effects he had to an entire civilization before celebrating him.

Regardless of what you think of him it is still an historically significant find and interesting as it was found so, relatively, close to Labadee.

I mean the technology for a lift exists, whether the structure of the remains would disintegrate or not is another story; or whether they would be able to save a few structural pieces and re-construct a "new" wreckage around it for a museum.

Haiti is about the poorest nation in the western hemisphere and there is so much plight that I doubt anything of historic or civil significance would happen.

Does anyone recall the old Labadee tenders named after the C.C. explorer ships? I could swear I saw at least Nina and Pinta at Coco Cay recently.

I also had my doubts about the ability to lift it...but what do I know. :p The History Channel is helping to fund this as they will be producing a program on the process surrounding the find and excavation. It should be interesting to watch.

Cruisnseas: I won't weigh in on politics, but I will recommend a book: Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus, by Orson Scott Card. It is an "alternate history" book - I think you would appreciate it.

Regardless of what you think of him it is still an historically significant find and interesting as it was found so, relatively, close to Labadee.

Agree completely and I'm guessing that was the OP's singular intent in starting this thread. :)

Edited by joepeka

If it wasn't CC it would have just been another European

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I also had my doubts about the ability to lift it...but what do I know. :p The History Channel is helping to fund this as they will be producing a program on the process surrounding the find and excavation. It should be interesting to watch.

When we were in Stockholm, we visited the Vasa Museum. The Vasa sank on it's maiden voyage and was under water for over 300 years. They raised the Vasa, a much larger ship than the Santa Maria. It was in amazing shape. I'm urge the technology is available.

As for Christopher Columbus, I am very happy that he existed, he changed world history. Judging people back in history by today's standards is a very unfair thing to do, IMO. Times change, back in the 18th century, it was common for people to own slaves, even George Washington owned slaves, should we castigate him?

When we were in Stockholm, we visited the Vasa Museum. The Vasa sank on it's maiden voyage and was under water for over 300 years. They raised the Vasa, a much larger ship than the Santa Maria. It was in amazing shape. I'm urge the technology is available.

As for Christopher Columbus, I am very happy that he existed, he changed world history. Judging people back in history by today's standards is a very unfair thing to do, IMO. Times change, back in the 18th century, it was common for people to own slaves, even George Washington owned slaves, should we castigate him?

That must have been a neat experience. I hope to visit it as well in the future.

Going even further back the Irish owned slaves...one went on to become a very famous Saint.