New HAL Dress Code ?

G&G

Well said! If people enjoy not following a dress code, then presumably they enjoy being noticed for being defiant. bless their hearts.

You mean to say that I can't wear my cut off's and favourite sports t-shirt into the MDR? That sucks. That means after I finish sneaking my alcohol onboard and drinking it on my balcony with the door propped open, I have to change? :P

Edited by akacake

You mean to say that I can't wear my cut off's and favourite sports t-shirt into the MDR? That sucks. That means after I finish sneaking my alcohol onboard and drinking it on my balcony with the door propped open, I have to change? :P

Nope because you forgot to smoke a cigarette on your balcony.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Not everyone owns a suit. My husband had one suit, it's probably 15-20 years old and I've seem him wear it about 4 times over the 7 years I've been with him. He works on a dock as a supervisor for a freight company and had been there 20 years. He doesn't have much need for dress clothes considering the conditions he works in. We just purchased a new suit for him last week since the old one was pretty snug. Let me say they're not exactly cheap, especially if you want only one (seemed like everyone was selling them in 2 and 3 combos). I wanted him to have it for our cruises on my bucket list and more realistically for my funeral (apparently a lot of wives take their husbands shopping for their funeral suit before the pass away, lol). I'm still in sticker shock and it is the most expensive clothing purchase I've ever made. I never spent more than $150 even on my formal gowns (that includes accessories and shoes to go with it). Neither of us are big on spending money on clothing, we'd rather spend it on other things. :)

My husband is an auto mechanic. He owns one suit. He bought it when a close family member died. It is a lovely charcoal grey and he has worn it very rarely over the years. He has worn it on the cruise. I mean is it so difficult for a man to dress up a bit for 2 nights? people know what to expect from HAL, it has quite a reputation. Living in California I have seen it all.

My husband is an auto mechanic. He owns one suit. He bought it when a close family member died. It is a lovely charcoal grey and he has worn it very rarely over the years. He has worn it on the cruise. I mean is it so difficult for a man to dress up a bit for 2 nights? people know what to expect from HAL, it has quite a reputation. Living in California I have seen it all.

You can also rental formal wear from Hal so you don't even need to buy anything. Problem solved.

With all due respect, just as you cannot understand why someone can't put on a jacket and nice slacks, I cannot understand how CC posters cannot understand that the dress code on HAL's ships is in a state of change. It is apparent from the constant griping on this site and from my own personal experience that many cruisers are making the choice to disregard it and by not enforcing it, HAL is also choosing to disregard. This is about change, and while some of you may not like it, it is apparent that many travelling passengers are choosing to embrace it. When you have a cruise line selling tickets at less than $50 pp per night, it is very difficult, IMO, to demand that passengers spend more on their attire to attend an evening meal than the passenger spent for the entire day.

I've heard the death of formal wear story for about 10 years now. The Westy was making men put on sport coats on formal night on my cruise on apr 15 th.

That's pretty much what we did. Nice classic cut that will last in style. $300 after the alter it and that is just sleeve and pant length.

A lot of men don't keep an even or consistent weight over the years though, so it would become a problem if they only wear it once before they need a different size. Thankfully my husband isn't like that, he's gained about 20 pounds over 25 years (most of it after he met me because I turned him into a more adventurous person that now enjoys trying new foods and finer dining).

I don't think it's unreasonable though for them to own a dress shirt, tie and one pair of dress pants.

Right now I worry more about my clothes fitting on the cruise since I can't stop losing weight, lol. My dresses may be falling off of me in 3 weeks since they were purchased when I was 15-20 pounds heavier.

You can also rental formal wear from Hal so you don't even need to buy anything. Problem solved.

I debated that when I saw the suit price tags. But I don't want him wearing a Steelers Jersey to my funeral.

Edited by sherilyn70

I love dressing up,don't get much of a chance to do so in casual Seattle

Hope there will not be eye rolling when I show up on casual nights wearing my sexy little black dress and FMP's

I will cut my husband some slack and let him take off the tie

I love dressing up,don't get much of a chance to do so in casual Seattle

Hope there will not be eye rolling when I show up on casual nights wearing my sexy little black dress and FMP's

I will cut my husband some slack and let him take off the tie

Groan......

I can't keep up with all these abbreviations.

What are 'FMP's'? :confused:

It isn't possible for most of us to know all these short cuts. :eek: :D

Groan......

I can't keep up with all these abbreviations.

What are 'FMP's'? :confused:

It isn't possible for most of us to know all these short cuts. :eek: :D

You don't want to know.

You don't want to know.

My thoughts exactly. Then I looked it up. Imagine my surprise!

FMP's - FMPs are close-ended debt funds with a maturity period ranging from one month to five years. These plans are predominantly debt-oriented, while some may have a small equity component.

However, the poster probably means this. (Fair warning.)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=FMP

FMP's - FMPs are close-ended debt funds with a maturity period ranging from one month to five years. These plans are predominantly debt-oriented, while some may have a small equity component.

No it's probably the first one:D.

What a shame someone needs to post such a thing. :(

Of course, I am sorry I asked.

Is there no such thing as respect left in this world?

Sorry I answered, but I figured it was better that than having someone answer directly.

so.... that means you are the t-shirts and flip flops type on the cruises then???? I feel people should dresss appropriately if on a cruise and the evening attire is just that. Dress accordingly or hang out by the pool, or in your cabin or somewhere else where you don't need to make your "statement".

I fail to see how any of this affects your own cruise. Let them wear what they want, you can wear what you like. All this complaining seems more out of a fear that those that wish to dress up will feel self conscious if others stop and so they must bully everyone else to conform to their desires instead of the reverse.

I so totally agree!! Thanks Sail, you stated it perfectly. :D

I truly have no interest how you or anyone dresses and have made that clear on CC many times.

But I do have an interest why someone would book to sail a cruise line that makes it perfectly clear they expect guests to wear jacket, trousers and tie for gents and commensurately appropriate for women on formal nights. They clearly spell out what is not permitted in MDR for dinner.

Why book a cruise line that 'tells you what to wear' if you don't appreciate being told? :confused: Why would you mind if people notice if you don't comply?

I cannot reconcile booking that cruise line if that is your view.

Thanks if you care to explain.

If they cannot afford a suit, they can always go to a second hand store, consignment store etc, and buy one there, have it cleaned and voila! a cheap suit for the MDR evenings. Or the can sail on RCCL or one of the "other" class ships where they can romp in their "rural" attire 24/7. If you choose to sail on HAL you should at least respect your fellow cruisers. I know, I have a brother in law who is past rural and closer to the double wide with a space # in his address! :eek:

Not everyone owns a suit. My husband had one suit, it's probably 15-20 years old and I've seem him wear it about 4 times over the 7 years I've been with him. He works on a dock as a supervisor for a freight company and had been there 20 years. He doesn't have much need for dress clothes considering the conditions he works in. We just purchased a new suit for him last week since the old one was pretty snug. Let me say they're not exactly cheap, especially if you want only one (seemed like everyone was selling them in 2 and 3 combos). I wanted him to have it for our cruises on my bucket list and more realistically for my funeral (apparently a lot of wives take their husbands shopping for their funeral suit before the pass away, lol). I'm still in sticker shock and it is the most expensive clothing purchase I've ever made. I never spent more than $150 even on my formal gowns (that includes accessories and shoes to go with it). Neither of us are big on spending money on clothing, we'd rather spend it on other things. :)

OOPS! Hope I didn't catch anything when I clicked on that link. :eek:

WOW,

Since I started this thread, I had no idea where this would go. The idea of Rural Night was very funny at the show. I saw at least 8-10 people in the Showroom who were in this category for Barnaby's show.

I personally do not like to dress up; prefer cruise lines with no formal nights. But rules are rules. If HAL wishes not to enforce their recommended dress attire then change them or do not have dress standards.

Oh My, now bathrobes an be worn in the MDR :eek: !