FR January, 2015 drydock -- what will be done

For Freedom's Jan 2015 drydock -- does anyone know what will be done to the ship. Are they adding new restaurants -- hope a Park Cafe. Wonder if they will change Portofino to Giovanni's Table?

I think the propeller problems they had on the ship for our sailing (5-4-2014) could have made RCI push FR's drydock ahead. We were booked for Jan. 25 and had to switch to Feb. 22, 2015.

For Freedom's Jan 2015 drydock -- does anyone know what will be done to the ship. Are they adding new restaurants -- hope a Park Cafe. Wonder if they will change Portofino to Giovanni's Table?

I think the propeller problems they had on the ship for our sailing (5-4-2014) could have made RCI push FR's drydock ahead. We were booked for Jan. 25 and had to switch to Feb. 22, 2015.

My understanding is this is a standard 5-yr. maintenance dry dock that is planned for all RCI ships. They would also do cosmetic and other relatively minor upgrades as needed but I am not aware of any other planned major enhancements. Most of those were completed with her last one which was the refurbishment dry dock.

It would be possible that if the timing is right for a production show change, that could take place as well, but again I have no information indicating that. But most productions shows on RCI have about a 5-yr. run.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I would also welcome a Park Cafe, but don't have much hope. Royal has had several opportunities to add Park Cafe to Voyager/Freedom class, and had even listed it for a time in the planned upgrades to Navigator. Never made it.

We were on the Navigator in February after her refurb. Everything was just beautiful, with new flooring, decking around the pools, new restaurants,etc. the only place not touched was the Promenade Cafe and it was very run down, with scarred-up tables, chairs with broken woven pieces! I asked the Hotel Director why it had not been upgraded, and he said it was on the list, but at the end. It was still "functional", so they did not include it. I'm guessing they may refurb that space when Navigator goes to the Asian market.

I sure was looking forward to the wonderful Park Cafe!

Margee

I think they are adding a Guy's Burgers!:D

My understanding is this is a standard 5-yr. maintenance dry dock that is planned for all RCI ships. They would also do cosmetic and other relatively minor upgrades as needed but I am not aware of any other planned major enhancements. Most of those were completed with her last one which was the refurbishment dry dock.

It would be possible that if the timing is right for a production show change, that could take place as well, but again I have no information indicating that. But most productions shows on RCI have about a 5-yr. run.

The standard maintenance drydock is only 2 weeks long. According to my RCCL Rep, they will be adding the Royal Advantage items similar to what the other ships in the fleet are getting.

The standard maintenance drydock is only 2 weeks long. According to my RCCL Rep, they will be adding the Royal Advantage items similar to what the other ships in the fleet are getting.

I think your RCI rep may be mistaken as Freedom underwent her Royal Advantage enhancement in 2011 - which is confirmed on the RCI website as an already enhanced ship - at which time they added:

Cupcake Cupboard

Diamond Club

Royal Tots & Babies Nursery

3D Movie Theater

Big Screen on pool deck

Enhanced Vintages Bar

Britto gallery

Enhanced electronics

Other?

I'm pretty sure the only remaining ships awaiting their revitalization dry dock are Voyager, Explorer, and Jewel. (Majesty will not receive one).

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I think your RCI rep may be mistaken as Freedom underwent her Royal Advantage enhancement in 2011 - which is confirmed on the RCI website as an already enhanced ship - at which time they added:

Cupcake Cupboard

Diamond Club

Royal Tots & Babies Nursery

3D Movie Theater

Big Screen on pool deck

Enhanced Vintages Bar

Britto gallery

Enhanced electronics

Other?

We sailed on FR after the 2011 revitalization and all those things were added (except she has had a Diamond Club since she was launched in 2006) I'm pretty sure the only remaining ships awaiting their revitalization dry dock are Voyager, Explorer, and Jewel. (Majesty will not receive one).

They may be adding more things like changing Portofino to Giavonni's Table and hopefully putting in a Park Cafe. Maybe one more specialty restaurant???

Hope they are not getting ready to send her to Asia in 2016 as we love the ship. Or changing the MDR to Dynamic Dining.

Edited by SherriZ366

They may be adding more things like changing Portofino to Giavonni's Table and hopefully putting in a Park Cafe. Maybe one more specialty restaurant???

Hope they are not getting ready to send her to Asia in 2016 as we love the ship. Or changing the MDR to Dynamic Dining.

As clarea indicated for some reason it seems as though Voyager / Freedom class ships are not getting Park Cafe - which is unfortunate!

I was on the recent webcast regarding Dynamic Dining where Adam Goldstein emphasized that that concept is only going to be rolled out on Quantum and Anthem and managed closely there before any plans of adding it elsewhere would take place. He also said that the likelihood would be that new builds such as Oasis 3 would be the first ships to have it included.

According to him lot of revisions would have to be made to existing ships to allow the multi-dining rooms that would replace the MDR that existing ships - if done at all - would be further down the road.

Freedom was one of the first ships to get the Royal Advantage upgrades, so I could see them making more changes. They would probably swap Portofino for Giovanni's Table at the very least. I could also see them put Izumi in the Viking Crown like they did on Navigator, change the champagne bar to the R Bar, move the cupcakes into Cafe Promenade putting something more profitable in the Cupcakes Cupboard spot, and install virtual balconies. Finally, I wouldn't be surprised if the Terra and Cielo private dining rooms went away, perhaps with one of them becoming Chef's Table.

Edited by ahecht

As clarea indicated for some reason it seems as though Voyager / Freedom class ships are not getting Park Cafe - which is unfortunate!

I was on the recent webcast regarding Dynamic Dining where Adam Goldstein emphasized that that concept is only going to be rolled out on Quantum and Anthem and managed closely there before any plans of adding it elsewhere would take place. He also said that the likelihood would be that new builds such as Oasis 3 would be the first ships to have it included.

According to him lot of revisions would have to be made to existing ships to allow the multi-dining rooms that would replace the MDR that existing ships - if done at all - would be further down the road.

Good to hear - guess they really need to test Dynamic dining on Quantum class before they extend it. I think it would be a good idea in a ship as big as Oasis 3 to have one area for Traditional Dining -- we like having the same table and waiter (this can often be done in My Time) Dynamic Dining is supposed to be appealing to the Asian market so Quantum will fit the customer mix there quite well.

Freedom was one of the first ships to get the Royal Advantage upgrades, so I could see them making more changes. They would probably swap Portofino for Giovanni's Table at the very least. I could also see them put Izumi in the Viking Crown like they did on Navigator, change the champagne bar to the R Bar, move the cupcakes into Cafe Promenade putting something more profitable in the Cupcakes Cupboard spot, and install virtual balconies.
That's what I thought -- especially for Portofino being swamped for Giovanni's table -- we thought of going to Portofino last week before it was gone but didn't -- friends did and had a great meal. Izumi would be a nice addition -- we do not have good Asian food in our area. The R Bar could be fun. I noticed during last week's FR cruise that the Champagne Bar did not get much use. Agree about Cupcake Cupboard.

Now that boutique cupcakes are a trend that is dying out hopefully they will convert that space to another eatery. I think the Cupcake shops are a fleetwide failure. The revenue generated relative to square footage must be meager. It would be nice to have an upscale / upcharge dining venue directly on the Royal Promenade. Not sure if there is space for that though.

Now that boutique cupcakes are a trend that is dying out hopefully they will convert that space to another eatery. I think the Cupcake shops are a fleetwide failure. The revenue generated relative to square footage must be meager. It would be nice to have an upscale / upcharge dining venue directly on the Royal Promenade. Not sure if there is space for that though.
Or another shop -- their logo merchandise is not very thorough.

Or another shop -- their logo merchandise is not very thorough.

I'd be alright with that but I miss the QUALITY logo gear. The stuff I've seen lately seems very generic crap like you find in islands just with different location names. I'm not interested in cheap plastic fridge magnets and junky photo frames; I'd spend money on quality memorabilia though.

I'd be alright with that but I miss the QUALITY logo gear. The stuff I've seen lately seems very generic crap like you find in islands just with different location names. I'm not interested in cheap plastic fridge magnets and junky photo frames; I'd spend money on quality memorabilia though.

I concur. I'd really love to see some quality offerings.

Edited by notsomadhatter

I mentioned this in another thread but I'll repeat it here... when we sailed on FOS last month (4/20 to 4/27), we were told that we should enjoy Portofino because it was going to be converted to Giovanni's Table within the next year.

Something else that I just remembered, our itinerary was CocoCay, Puerto Rico and St. Maarten. They said that was not the usual itinerary for FOS. They normally go to St. Thomas instead of Puerto Rico and that the stop in Puerto Rico was to have the bottom of the ship scrubbed by divers in preparation for an inspection they were going to have when they returned to Canaveral.

Perhaps something came up during the inspection that would result in scheduling a longer drydock in January?

I mentioned this in another thread but I'll repeat it here... when we sailed on FOS last month (4/20 to 4/27), we were told that we should enjoy Portofino because it was going to be converted to Giovanni's Table within the next year.

Something else that I just remembered, our itinerary was CocoCay, Puerto Rico and St. Maarten. They said that was not the usual itinerary for FOS. They normally go to St. Thomas instead of Puerto Rico and that the stop in Puerto Rico was to have the bottom of the ship scrubbed by divers in preparation for an inspection they were going to have when they returned to Canaveral.

Perhaps something came up during the inspection that would result in scheduling a longer drydock in January?

Figured the switch to Giovani's Table was going to happen. Wish we had gone to Portofino on FR two weeks ago but will eat at the Portofino's on EX when we sail on her in December.

When did you sail on FR with the diver scrubbing exercise?

Figured the switch to Giovani's Table was going to happen. Wish we had gone to Portofino on FR two weeks ago but will eat at the Portofino's on EX when we sail on her in December.

When did you sail on FR with the diver scrubbing exercise?

The cruise was April 20th to April 27th. The scrubbing was done on April 23rd while docked in San Juan. During the C & A Welcome Back event, the Captain even made jokes about it, recommending that everyone have their bottom scrubbed from time-to-time.

The cruise was April 20th to April 27th. The scrubbing was done on April 23rd while docked in San Juan. During the C & A Welcome Back event, the Captain even made jokes about it, recommending that everyone have their bottom scrubbed from time-to-time.
Funny jokes. That was a few weeks before we sailed on May 4.

• 1 month later...

Here's what we were told during the loyalty event on board this week:

Izumis is getting added

The bottom floor of the crypt , the ship's two level night club is closing and getting restaurants put in. There was a rumor, and only a rumor, from the ship's hotel manager , that they could possibly adding these additional restaurants for piloting dynamic dining on non- quantum class ships. Also it was mentioned that they were adding more staterooms on the 12th deck, where the sky at is currently. It was speculated these rooms would be on the suite/higher end like loft suites on the oasis class.

Izumis is getting added

The bottom floor of the crypt , the ship's two level night club is closing and getting restaurants put in. There was a rumor, and only a rumor, from the ship's hotel manager , that they could possibly adding these additional restaurants for piloting dynamic dining on non- quantum class ships. Also it was mentioned that they were adding more staterooms on the 12th deck, where the sky at is currently. It was speculated these rooms would be on the suite/higher end like loft suites on the oasis class.

I'm glad you emphasized the word "rumor". If the rumor is true it looks like Freedom is getting an almost identical upgrade like the Navigator just received.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Izumis is getting added

Hope the Dynamic Dining thing is only a rumor. We like Traditional Dining and don't want to be FORCED into Dynamic (or damaged) dining for our 3 upcoming FR cruises. I like the idea of new specialty restaurants -- Izumi and possibly Sabor sound good. I hope the changes are like what was done to NV.

• 1 month later...