Forced to cruise on Princess

maggie.1008

I have sailed Princess a few times and don't think the picture you painted is fair. First off the Millennium (which I have sailed) was launched in 2000 and the Infinity 2001. The Crown was launched in 2006 and is a much newer ship. The Infinity and the Crown were both refurbished 3 years ago. My parents just off the Crown were thrilled with the ship and the condition she is in currently.

Princess is a great cruise line and offers a very comparable product to Celebrity. As you can tell from my signature line we love both lines and the OP should not feel too bad about having to sail this ship or this line. I understand that she may have read some reviews that didn't reassure her that she made a good choice, but if you use the topics posted here on the Celebrity board you would think Celebrity has gone to hell in a hand basket! The negativity that exists on boards and some reviews is incredible and we all know that our final opinions may vary.

My advice to the OP is to go in with a great attitude and enjoy everything Princess has to offer. More importantly enjoy the time you have with your father, I think it's wonderful you are going with him!

Ken

I agree 100% with your accessment, and personally having sailed on the different Millenium class ships 6 times , and the Crown Princess twice, I'd take the Crown Princess every time.

Srpilo

We love Celebrity as evidenced by the number of days we've cruised them as you'll see in my signature. Having said that, we've done 3 Princess cruises on the West Coast this past year since they are a strong presence here and X is not. Somehow we managed to survive the cruises and even have to admit we enjoyed them.

I've got nothing against brand loyalty, but sometimes it borders on the ridiculous IMO. We simply enjoy variety in cruising and hope to never feel we're stuck with one cruise line.

Enjoy your special time with your Dad and quit sweating the small stuff. if I could, I'd sail with either of my folks IF they were still alive.

P.S.

To the OP......I would treat any negative reviews of Crown Princess you've read the same way you treat the negativity you see right here on the Celebrity board. Obviously it doesn't deter you from sailing X, so why would it on Crown Princess?

We love Celebrity as evidenced by the number of days we've cruised them as you'll see in my signature. Having said that, we've done 3 Princess cruises on the West Coast this past year since they are a strong presence here and X is not. Somehow we managed to survive the cruises and even have to admit we enjoyed them.

I've got nothing against brand loyalty, but sometimes it borders on the ridiculous IMO. We simply enjoy variety in cruising and hope to never feel we're stuck with one cruise line.

Enjoy your special time with your Dad and quit sweating the small stuff. if I could, I'd sail with either of my folks IF they were still alive.

Yes, I too wish I could sail with either of my parents but they are both gone. The majority of my cruises have been on Princess and I have loved every one of them. I also like Celebrity and find it comparable in many ways. However, unlike many of the comments I've read here, I totally give the nod to Princess for their food. Was recently on the Equinox and was disappointed in some of the dinners, and especially found the quality of the steaks not very good. Thinner cuts, tough to cut. Almost impossible to get a good medium rare steak.

Sailing again on X next May, and my decision was based on the itinerary not the cruise line.

Yes, I too wish I could sail with either of my parents but they are both gone. The majority of my cruises have been on Princess and I have loved every one of them. I also like Celebrity and find it comparable in many ways. However, unlike many of the comments I've read here, I totally give the nod to Princess for their food. Was recently on the Equinox and was disappointed in some of the dinners, and especially found the quality of the steaks not very good. Thinner cuts, tough to cut. Almost impossible to get a good medium rare steak.

Sailing again on X next May, and my decision was based on the itinerary not the cruise line.

I agree!

Make sure to try the nightly pasta choices.

The only downside to Princess food is the weight I gain! :( (I find I gain a lot less on Celebrity ! ;) )

I agree!

Make sure to try the nightly pasta choices.

The only downside to Princess food is the weight I gain! :( (I find I gain a lot less on Celebrity ! ;) )

You tell me this now Karen, after its too late to cancel our cruise! :eek: Oh well, I guess we can focus on weight loss again after the cruise.:D

I wouldn't care what line I was on if I were spending time with my Dad! 83 yrs young and still cruising is awesome - you are lucky to still have him :) My Dad turns 80 this year and doesn't cruise - so we've taken him on a land trip to Alaska - back to where he was stationed in the Air Force when he was very young - a priceless experience. Go and enjoy HIM.

I wouldn't care what line I was on if I were spending time with my Dad! 83 yrs young and still cruising is awesome - you are lucky to still have him :) My Dad turns 80 this year and doesn't cruise - so we've taken him on a land trip to Alaska - back to where he was stationed in the Air Force when he was very young - a priceless experience. Go and enjoy HIM.

Jane

I owe you an email.

Later today - promise!!!!

You tell me this now Karen, after its too late to cancel our cruise! :eek: Oh well, I guess we can focus on weight loss again after the cruise.:D

Hi Mike!

So just be better than I am and skip the pasta and those wonderful desserts!

(How sick am I that I'm actually kind of glad the desserts on Celebrity are so bad that I'm not even tempted.)

We are Elite Plus with Celebrity and have sailed Princess before and really enjoyed it. We just booked a transatlantic for October 2015 (Spanish Passage) the ports are fantastic. Enjoy your time with your Dad, I am sure it will be a great cruise. We are not really loyal to any cruise like anymore; we change it up between Celebrity, Princess and Cunard.

To the OP......I would treat any negative reviews of Crown Princess you've read the same way you treat the negativity you see right here on the Celebrity board. Obviously it doesn't deter you from sailing X, so why would it on Crown Princess?

Isn't that the truth!

If I believed many of the things posted recently on this X board, I'd never step a foot on another X cruise. :rolleyes:

LuLu

I am glad to have found this thread I was just looking at a 3day on the Golden Princess and am now looking forward to trying another line.I love Celebrity but am open to trying something new :)

I just booked a cruise on Princess/ Pacific Coastal for Oct. I take my 83 yr. young dad once a year and need a cruise that does not have a long flight involved. We live in California so LA or San Diego ports work best. Alaska is out of the question as he is a warm weather cruiser and we have done that 3 times. I am loyal to Celebrity and sure wish they did more 1 week cruises from the West Coast. Made the mistake of looking at reviews on CC of the Crown Princess , not good !

You'll be fine. In reality Princess is no different than the other lines. have fun!

I feel the same about my upcoming cruise on the Century. I leave in 3 weeks for Alaska. I am Elite on Princess and just sailed with them 2 weeks ago (yes, I will miss all the Elite benefits!). I have read nothing but bad reviews on the Century and Celebrity of late.

Will I let that effect my cruise? Heck no! Im going in with an open mind to make my own decision about things.

Drink package changes? Ok, Im not a huge drinker so hopefully I wont notice them.

Staffing issues? Give me a lounger and a book and I am happy.

Loud music? Let me sit out on my balcony for some peace and quiet if I need.

Im cruising with someone who has Alaska on their bucketlist...it is going to be awesome to experience it with them (its my 3rd time up there). I have cruised Celebrity before and they havent. I am going to be on a cruise and out of the office for a week ;) Nope, not letting those reviews bother me before I go!

My friends were just on the Crown a few weeks ago and had a lovely time. They didnt have any complaints. I enjoy both lines :)

Was on the Century last June and really enjoyed the "old" boat. The wood creaked and I felt we were really sailing. Loved the overstuffed sofas near the big windows to just sit or read. Love the small ships.

Celebrity is our preferred cruise line as well, however we took a southern caribbean cruise on the Crown this past January (we chose this cruise because of the itinerary). We had a great time, and enjoyed the ship and thought the reports of it being rundown we extremely overblown. Although Celebrity is still our preferred line, some of the things we enjoyed more about Princess were:

- the formal afternoon teas (I really wish Celebrity still offered this, with white glove service and scones, etc)

- the aft adult-only pool (The pool is small but it's amazing to go swimming and actually have a view of the ocean from the pool rather than just a 360 degree view of sunbathers)

I'm sure you'll have a great time! Princess offers a great product and the Crown is a fine ship. Just go in with an open mind and try to enjoy some of the differences between the two lines.