Hopefully, Live From the MS Amsterdam May 17 - June 1, 2014

Alberta Quilter,

Thanks for the great reviews and info. Looking forward to the info on the rest of the cruise.

One request, please. We are bringing our 12 year old and 14 year old grandsons on the 14 day June 22, 14 cruise and any info on the kids programs would be a big help if it not to much of a bother (Don't let gathering that info interfere with the SBP).

Thanks in advance.

Sightcrr

Alberta Quilter,

Thanks for the great reviews and info. Looking forward to the info on the rest of the cruise.

One request, please. We are bringing our 12 year old and 14 year old grandsons on the 14 day June 22, 14 cruise and any info on the kids programs would be a big help if it not to much of a bother (Don't let gathering that info interfere with the SBP).

Thanks in advance.

Sightcrr

We brought our granddaughters on this cruise a couple of years ago. We were also concerned. They had a great time. They keep asking when they could come again!

Thank you for doing this Live Report. I have been reading your roll call for some time and I am so excited to now be reading about the journey all of you have planned for so long. Just wish I were with you on the Amsterdam. Our 2011 AK cruise on her was awesome!!! Enjoy every moment!!!

Thanks for sharing your experiences! Looking forward to "traveling" with you through Alaska.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I went to your blog and read about the SBC. It is the best explanation of the program that I have ever seen. I recommend others who have the Explore4 SBC to check it out.

I went to your blog and read about the SBC. It is the best explanation of the program that I have ever seen. I recommend others who have the Explore4 SBC to check it out.

Would you mind posting the link where you found the info?

Would you mind posting the link where you found the info?

It is post #58 of this thread. Three above this post. Travel with the Jones blog.

If you can't find it, let me know and I will post the URL that will take you directly there. They have other topics that may be worthwhile for some cruisers to read.

It is post #58 of this thread. Three above this post. Travel with the Jones blog.

If you can't find it, let me know and I will post the URL that will take you directly there. They have other topics that may be worthwhile for some cruisers to read.

You are very kind SunLakesBob! Here's the link: http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2014/01/31/is-the-signature-beverage-program-on-holland-america-cruises-a-good-deal/

POA1 has a very complete scientific study of the Signature Beverage Package on this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1999316&highlight=signature+beverage

AQ (aka Clipper) - thanks for all the info so far. You've got me planning to try a WangWang now - never had the nerve before!:p

Have a wonderful trip, and please say hi to AIP for me when you see her.

Edi

Sounds like you're having a good time! We used to make sure we grabbed a large water at the end of every night and drank water throughout the day - not just the melting ice from the cocktails.

DW swears by a Bonine / Non-Drowsy Dramamine + 2 Aspirins before bed. I think DSIL does as well. DBIL & I just put on our big boy pants and accept whatever the morning brings. (There's always the Bloody Mary Bar.) Love your reports. :)

I will try to get reports on Club HAL but no promises. We just noticed a couple of children at breakfast this morning.

POA, thanks for the tips on how to ease the effects of the SBP. I tried the Explorations hot chocolate this morning; it was like drinking pure sugar! I may actually have to drink coffee. DM enjoyed her cappuccino.

I am pleased to report they had the GF English muffin this morning. It''s much thicker, and not quite as tasty as a regular one.

Bathrooms are operational; so is A/C.

Have to sign off for now, meet & greet is happening shortly!

Edited by Alberta Quilter

Thank you so much for everything. I'd also love info on Club HAL if you have the time. Also, how much is the hydro hot tub and thermal suite with the loungers :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Alberta Quilter,

Thanks in advance.

Sightcrr

We took our 15 year old grandson (6 years ago) on the Amsterdam to Alaska, He LOVED it, spent time in the computer room, and the HAl club for teens.

He was very limited in his eating, so when he came to the dining room on formal night, (in a button up shirt and slacks), he ordered pizza, and they brought him pizza from the lido, I'm sure! he thought the "fine dining Pizza" was real good!! LOL.... He still talks about that cruise,and someday may go when he has to pay for it himself!! We were in glacier bay, and he has a certificate that says " I swam in glacier bay", of course he was in the swimming pool in glacier bay, but it is a fun rememberance! Your grandkids will have a great time, and they can watch for sea life, whales, and bears!! OH MY!!

May 19/14

Some additional info, specifically for RuthC:

Guitarist is Michael

Piano Bar entertainer is Derek - I'm guessing that's in the Amstel Cafe.since there doesn't appear to be a dedicated piano bar. The On Location guide says it's on Deck 5.

There has been Rockin Roadhouse in the Queens lounge, three times a night. It was on on Saturday night on the one day segment and is on again tonight. It features the HalCats and the singers & dancers two stepping through country music's favourite hits.

I'll post more on the other entertainers when that info becomes available.

Jazzy is the show host. Gene Young is our CD but he is in Seattle for a few days. Jazzy is filling in until Gene joins us in Juneau.

The Captain is Fred Eversen. I do not yet know who is the Hotel Director.

The laundry packages are $20/bag, or $98 for unlimited laundry.

We had our meet and greet today. It was very well attended. Thanks to LVSue for organizing it! No one from HAL came but that was just fine with me. We had a great time chatting with everyone, and finalizing tour plans. Some of us were there for more than an hour and a half! We had our second wildlife sighting at the end of the M&G, if you can call it that. We saw water/mist spouts heading south. Presumably, there was a whale underneath the surface but we don't know for sure as it never visibly surfaced. Our first wildlife sighting were dolphins or porpoises on the way to Seattle on the one day cruise.

Dutch high tea was on today (first sea day). It was very popular, and quite tasty, too. I wonder why they choose to have the high tea on the same day as a formal dinner... It was way too tempting and we ate far too much.

There is a new Joe Upton book in the shops. It's called The Alaska Cruise Explorer. It's $16.95. It doesn't have a pull out map but has small maps inside. I really like the first book, A Mile by Mile Guide which does have the pullout map. I'll try to do a review of the book later.

I played bingo this afternoon. Now they are selling an extra three cards for the blackout round for $5 in addition to the regular cards. The regular cards cost $25 for three cards and $35 for six cards. I find the cost of bingo to be ridiculously expensive and have cut back the number of times I play. As a result, I chose to not purchase the additional cards but many people did get the extra cards. I'm not sure how they managed to keep up! During bingo, they offered happy hour pricing for select drinks. I'll try to find out what the select drinks are for you. After yesterday, I severely curtailed my drinking! I had one glass of wine with dinner. We tried the Santa Carolina Chardonnay. Even to my uneducated palate, it was okay. I'm not sure I would have it again.

Dinner tonight was a formal. As usual, some people opted not to come to the MDR. The menu selections included Alaska King crab legs, beef Wellington, and mushroom ravioli plus a few other options which I cannot remember. Sorry about that. (Good help is so hard to find, isn't it?!). The crab was quite good. DM and I are on a mission to have crab, halibut, scallops, lobster, and salmon, as much as possible, which are expensive back home. One thing I noticed when we walked into the dining room tonight is that there were no chair covers. I actually preferred it that way as I've been on some ships where the chair covers were so wrinkled they looked like they had been stored, between use, all balled up!

Oh, one other thing that I forgot to mention in yesterday's report is that, for the first time that I've ever seen, HAL sold bouquets of flowers for your stateroom, out in the atrium. I knew that one could preorder flowers, or even order them through the front desk while onboard but I have never seen a table with ready made bouquets available for sale. The table was set up from 6 to 8 pm yesterday. They were $25 which I thought was a little dear given there were (slightly) larger bouquets at PPM for $10!!!!

Another thing that seems to be different is that each night, on the dessert menu, there is a cheese plate. The selection offered is different each night - well, it's really only been two nights... I asked about the cheese menu; I didn't quite understand the server but it sounded like they were offering this daily cheese plate instead of us being able to choose the cheese desired. I did notice that one cheese that was offered yesterday is one that is listed on the cheese menu that is on halfacts.com so I don't think it's a cutback. It certainly limits the choices on any particular night, though.

Tomorrow we arrive in Ketchikan. DM and I are going on the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's tour! We never seen Deadliest Catch; DM barely knows anything about it. So it will be interesting to see if it is as good for us as it is for real fans of the show.

May the sun shine on you in Ketchikan! We look forward to hearing about your crabbing adventure.

Regarding your Signature Beverage Package, since you are in Alaska, you may want to try a few Alaskan "rules" that Mr. Jones and his Alaskan friends employ when it comes to drinking:

1) 1 water for every 1 drink. Even better, 2 waters for every drink. Or, 1 sparkling water for every drink.

2) "It's never to late to pre-medicate" -- take two liquid Advil Gel Caps with a large glass of water before going to sleep.

Have fun! We can wait to hear about your experiences in Anchorage, Homer and Kodiak!