Extending the "old" (good) FCC expiration dates

PescadoAmarillo

I finally had need to address this issue today. We had 8 old FCCs that we had purchased just weeks before they were discontinued in early 2011 in favor of new ones with lower OBCs for some cruises. They were all expiring in late February 2015. I had several reasons for wanting to extend their expiration dates (they are more valuable for 10-night cruises, we no longer have the credit card we used to purchase them and I needed more FCCs to make deposits on cruises I booked this week for 2015/16 cruises.)

It wasn't quick and it wasn't easy, and I needed to have them applied to specific booking numbers, not just extended with Active status, but after 93 minutes on the phone with Princess, it is done. The rep was excellent, though Customer Relations actually had to make it happen. I had worried that, since they were sometimes more valuable, Princess might be reluctant to extend them; not so.

If you have the same issue with old FCCs expiring in the next 8 months, they can be extended. With the new FCCs issued after February 2011, I really am not worried about them expiring as long as we have or can purchase new ones, but today's exercise gained me an additional $500 in OBC and was worth the time spent.

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

I finally had need to address this issue today. We had 8 old FCCs that we had purchased just weeks before they were discontinued in early 2011 in favor of new ones with lower OBCs for some cruises. They were all expiring in late February 2015. I had several reasons for wanting to extend their expiration dates (they are more valuable for 10-night cruises, we no longer have the credit card we used to purchase them and I needed more FCCs to make deposits on cruises I booked this week for 2015/16 cruises.)

It wasn't quick and it wasn't easy, and I needed to have them applied to specific booking numbers, not just extended with Active status, but after 93 minutes on the phone with Princess, it is done. The rep was excellent, though Customer Relations actually had to make it happen. I had worried that, since they were sometimes more valuable, Princess might be reluctant to extend them; not so.

If you have the same issue with old FCCs expiring in the next 8 months, they can be extended. With the new FCCs issued after February 2011, I really am not worried about them expiring as long as we have or can purchase new ones, but today's exercise gained me an additional $500 in OBC and was worth the time spent.

Are you referring to future cruise deposits (FCDs) that are purchased onboard and good for furtive sailings?

Thanks Jeannie.

I made the mistake of letting 4 of them expire this last February but will be more proactive with the ones for next year!

...and I needed to have them applied to specific booking numbers, not just extended with Active status...

That was our experience also. When I approached the Future Cruise Consultant onboard one of our cruises to ask that our older FCCs be extended, he correctly advised us to request that when we book a cruise.

Our expired FCCs did not show on our TAs computer screen during the booking process. She needed to call Princess to have then reinstated and extended.

Lew

Somehow I missed the memo that they were no longer good for 4 years and I didn't purchase any new one on my last two cruises. I had six unused ones and figure that would last me. I guess I figured they were "book by" and not "sail by" - another memo I didn't read. When I discovered they had to be used next year, I called Princess. I was told they could be extended. I booked three cruises for 2015 in March and my TA called me to say they would only extend the three that were to be attached to bookings. Princess forgot to tell me that information. That's ok, I'm sure I can find something to book.

Somehow I missed the memo that they were no longer good for 4 years and I didn't purchase any new one on my last two cruises. I had six unused ones and figure that would last me. I guess I figured they were "book by" and not "sail by" - another memo I didn't read. When I discovered they had to be used next year, I called Princess. I was told they could be extended. I booked three cruises for 2015 in March and my TA called me to say they would only extend the three that were to be attached to bookings. Princess forgot to tell me that information. That's ok, I'm sure I can find something to book.

You can extend but the OBC is diminished somewhat isn't it?

I have never had that problem. I used all my old ones up long before they expired.

We bought 19 old FCCs each right before the rules changed (the most unknowingly timely thing we've ever done in our lives), and since then I've "saved " them just for 10-night cruises. Unfortunately, on the Royal Princess, the cabin we like can usually only be reserved for logical bookings (in our case 20 nights), so in booking winter 2014/15 last May, I put off using the old FCCs in favor of new ones. That's the only reason they are still left over ;) , but I'm now very happy I was careful with that. There were five cruises on the Royal Princess in 2015/16 where the cabin we wanted was available for 10-night cruises (due to repeating the itinerary from the prior cruise) and I had the old FCCs applied to them, for $50 pp per cruise more OBC = $500 more OBC.

I wanted to warn others in the same situation to book ANYTHING, so long as it's fully refundable, to extend the old FCCs if they wanted to go to the trouble.

Compozer- it's even more tricky than that. The "new" FCCs we purchased for a year or two had to be used for cruises that commenced (were "sailed by") a certain date. That was ridiculous for those of us who book 18-22 months in advance. Then Princess realized that was an issue, and changed it. Now FCCs have a 2-year "book by" expiration date. So there are really "new" FCCs and "newest" FCCs, all with the same OBC amounts.

Our expired FCCs did not show on our TAs computer screen during the booking process. She needed to call Princess to have then reinstated and extended.

Lew, thank her profusely. :) It's a time consuming process yielding TAs not a penny of income. If extending 8 FCCs took 93 minutes, 4 probably took at least 45!

Lew, thank her profusely. :) It's a time consuming process yielding TAs not a penny of income. If extending 8 FCCs took 93 minutes, 4 probably took at least 45!

Oh, we did! She's fantastic! We have booked our next six cruises through her.

At the time, it was no big deal. She told me she put in the extension request with Princess along with the booking and that it would take 24 to 48 hours for it to appear on my Cruise Personalizer. It showed up after about 24 hours.

Lew

Strike three for me. I also misses the memo that the OBC's aren't the same.

I think I will book cruises to use them up like someone said. Has anyone done that and gotten a new date, then canceled the cruise? Will they honor the new date or does it go back to the old date?

sandy

Strike three for me. I also misses the memo that the OBC's aren't the same.

I think I will book cruises to use them up like someone said. Has anyone done that and gotten a new date, then canceled the cruise? Will they honor the new date or does it go back to the old date?

sandy

They honor the new date.