Kids scooters on board

Gilly's Daughter

Hi All

Does anyone know if I am able to bring my children's scooters on board - not for use on deck but to use in the ports when we are off ship. They can go so much further on them before tiring then they can just walking.

We are on the Emerald next week and the children are 8' date=' 6 and 4

Many thanks

Leanne[/quote']

Stop catering to the kids. Leave the scooters at home and make them walk.

In reply to the OP question, I think some of us are just trying to add thoughts that may not have been considered.

I'm just trying to visualize a family of 5 with children ages 8,6, and 4, plus 3 scooters (and whatever else is necessary to carry for the day!) getting off and back on the ship, and I know that would not be for me even with the approval of Princess! What ports are you going to? Any tendering involved? Hope you have a wonderful family vacation whatever you decide to do.

Edited by Bucky3

Children on scooters around the open decks onboard? Not a fast a clays, but still good sport.;)

"PULL!!!!"

Little darlings. . .

Parents these days have so much more stamina! I don't know how they do it! I look at my children and grandchildren and get tired just looking!

I was thinking, three kids, three scooters, snacks, possibly diapers, maybe a stroller, purse, cameras . . .Wow! I just wouldn't do it! I looked up the cruise and they will be in London, Spain, France, and back to London.

I think I would have picked a cruise with beaches! Sand, swimsuits. . done!

"PULL!!!!"

Little darlings. . .

Parents these days have so much more stamina! I don't know how they do it! I look at my children and grandchildren and get tired just looking!

I was thinking, three kids, three scooters, snacks, possibly diapers, maybe a stroller, purse, cameras . . .Wow! I just wouldn't do it! I looked up the cruise and they will be in London, Spain, France, and back to London.

I think I would have picked a cruise with beaches! Sand, swimsuits. . done!

They live in London which makes it easier.

I swear I read on Princess's site that these are not allowed but I cannot find it for the life of me. Best I found was that you sign in to your cruise personalizer and read your passage contract.

There's a list of what's not allowed, like fishing poles, weapons, handcuffs, etc

They're called "Heelies" and there were a few times I would have gladly strangled the little darlings wearing them as skates in grocery stores and nearly knocking me over.

Donna;

I think you'd look good on a pair of heelies.....:):):)

Bob

I swear I read on Princess's site that these are not allowed but I cannot find it for the life of me. Best I found was that you sign in to your cruise personalizer and read your passage contract.

There's a list of what's not allowed, like fishing poles, weapons, handcuffs, etc

No handcuffs! :eek:

OK, that's supposed to be funny, but what wasn't funny was a cruise I was on a year or two ago that did have a couple of kids on heelies. I saw them in the Horizon Court a couple of times and thought how dangerous it was with all of the old folks and people carrying hot and cold food. I have a feeling they were spoken to because I only saw them twice.

I also agree that bringing scooters is more trouble than it's worth. But,I wouldn't rely on any of the opinions we give you, but I would rely on someone with Princess giving me a definitive yes or no, in writing.

Donna;

I think you'd look good on a pair of heelies.....:):):)

Bob

I just about gave up wearing regular heels! I might fall and break something!:)

I did a lot of roller skating when I was young-that's how I met my X husband. Did a lot of ice skating too.

Was on a cruise where a child was roller blading, the ship pitched and the child fell hitting his head. He was subsequently airlifted.

It's sad that a child got hurt because the parents allowed this activity on a moving ship.:(

Thank you to all who posted helpful comments.

As I said in my OP, they WOULD NOT be able to use them on deck, in corridors etc - the children would be told that and respect that.

Grandparents are joining me on this so plenty of hands to hold our day time essentials when we are off ship.

We are not doing any Princess tours as at this age we feel they are too young to be stuck on coaches, do museums etc so it would just be for use around the ports when we get off the ship to have a wander around and stretch our legs.

RNGALNG - we picked this cruise as opposed to a sandy beach destination or itinerary because a) we live 2 hours drive from southampton and therefore no long flight b) we did a Caribbean cruise and then a week in florida with them at Easter c) we are spending 5 weeks at our holiday home in southern Spain in the Summer and so we will have plenty of beach time then and d) the dates and price suited us.

With regards to the scooters, we have put a call in to our TA and they are asking princess. If we can take them we will. will let you all know.

Thank you to all who posted helpful comments.

As I said in my OP' date=' they WOULD NOT be able to use them on deck, in corridors etc - the children would be told that and respect that.

Grandparents are joining me on this so plenty of hands to hold our day time essentials when we are off ship.

We are not doing any Princess tours as at this age we feel they are too young to be stuck on coaches, do museums etc so it would just be for use around the ports when we get off the ship to have a wander around and stretch our legs.

RNGALNG - we picked this cruise as opposed to a sandy beach destination or itinerary because a) we live 2 hours drive from southampton and therefore no long flight b) we did a Caribbean cruise and then a week in florida with them at Easter c) we are spending 5 weeks at our holiday home in southern Spain in the Summer and so we will have plenty of beach time then and d) the dates and price suited us.

With regards to the scooters, we have put a call in to our TA and they are asking princess. If we can take them we will. will let you all know.[/quote']

So glad to hear you will have extra hands to help. I still don't know how you do it!! I hope you get the answers you want and the trip is fantastic! Enjoy!!!

It's sad that a child got hurt because the parents allowed this activity on a moving ship.:(

That poster didn't say what ship. Maybe it was allowed? We've rollerbladed on RCI ships and had a great time! They have a dedicated rink on the top deck that happens to be in direct line of the blazing hot Caribbean sun. One of my sons fell a lot and burned his knees and palms, but they insist on helmets.

Only mentioned it in that if they did Princess excursions or even private excursions, there may not be a place to keep them safe when entering buildings, etc... Just wanted parents to make sure they thought of that.

Coral, you are right, of course, and my comment was not directed at you, but at the tendency of this board, in general, to go beyond answering the question and offer judgments about why something shouldn't be done. Perfect case in point: using 2-way radios or Skype on board. Or not wearing a (pick one) jacket or tie on formal nights. Or wearing capris on non-formal nights. And now, it appears, bringing along scooters for the kids to use in port. The OP lives in London, and is most likely far more familiar with the sidewalk situation in European ports than most of us.

Ok, I was confused, then curious….

Perhaps the term “scooter” is associated differently in different parts of the country, or for that matter different parts of the globe.

I gather you guys talking about those little skate board type deals with handlebars?

In my neck of the woods a scooter is a small motorized vehicle.

They are similar to a motorcycle except you sit down with both legs faced forward while riding vs. straddling the seat on a traditional motorbike.

The whole motorcycle thing made me snicker when I first read the thread title…. I was like “No you can’t take a motorbike on your cruise”….. pfff…. The I started reading, and realized you guys were talking about something completely different…. :)

That’s Good…. Because……. Who in their right mind would ask if you could take a motorbike on a cruise…. Then again…. Maybe it would be fun!

:eek: Outta my WAY…. I’m coming through Horizon Court in a hurry! :eek:

Edited by nnrd79a

That poster didn't say what ship. Maybe it was allowed? We've rollerbladed on RCI ships and had a great time! They have a dedicated rink on the top deck that happens to be in direct line of the blazing hot Caribbean sun. One of my sons fell a lot and burned his knees and palms, but they insist on helmets.

Interesting. I would think that the cruise line would want to avoid the liability. In a dedicated area, I'm sure there are "skate at your own risk" signs all over the place!

If the OP gets her answer and Princess allows the scooters for passage, I am hopeful that the parents make room also for helmets for their precious little heads. The last thing I would want would be to have one of them have a tumble onto their head in a foreign port.

Interesting. I would think that the cruise line would want to avoid the liability. In a dedicated area, I'm sure there are "skate at your own risk" signs all over the place!

Yes, there are and every person (or adult if a minor) has to sign a release form just like when you do other activities on the RCI ships like ziplining, "surfing", ice skating, etc.

I do not usually post on Princess sites although am quite active on others.

I can't believe the abuse my daughter has received for asking a simple question. She is an excellent and very responsible parent and my grandchildren while far from being perfect abide by the rules.

It is only her decision if they use their scooters ( yes, skateboards with handles) onshore.

Thank you everyone for your concern but please stop the sniping.

PS. I spoke to our TA who said 'no problem'.

Just for future reference, mobility scooters are generally allowed. If you don't want to transport them, the Special Needs Group has agreements in place with all major lines, and can deliver all manner of mobility devices to your stateroom for the cruise (mobility scooters, power chairs, oxygen, bed lifts, etc...)

I do not usually post on Princess sites although am quite active on others.

I can't believe the abuse my daughter has received for asking a simple question. She is an excellent and very responsible parent and my grandchildren while far from being perfect abide by the rules.

It is only her decision if they use their scooters ( yes, skateboards with handles) onshore.

Thank you everyone for your concern but please stop the sniping.

PS. I spoke to our TA who said 'no problem'.

Actually, as said in a previous post there was a Carnival corporation prohibited list, and scooters were on that list. I do not know if the list is still in existence though. So to be on the safe side I would get the information from your TA in writing. As it would be awful for them to be denied and you not get them back.

On a practical note I think I know the kind of scooters you mean. It they were locked in the folded position and placed into a holdall with a room tag I imagine they would be delivered to the stateroom, rather than them be carried on. They could also be carried ashore in the holdall.

I have taken the cruise your daughter is taking, and personally think it's not a good idea. The pavements in the ports are more granite and slippery than the pavements here in the UK. Also the children are young, traffic in all but one of the ports drives on the "wrong" side. It catches adults unawares even more so children. Many parents bring these scooters to school here for the children to ride/scoot home. They all go ahead waiting at each corner or junction. I have never seen a child scooting alongside an adult. I think there are far to many cons against the pros for this to be a good idea on holiday.

I'm sorry you feel your daughter received abuse, but when one asks a question on a public message board you can expect people to share their opinions. If it was just a yes or no answer that was required it probably would have been better to just ring Princess.

It's a nice itinerary I would recommend it to families with children a nice mix of things to see and do.