Earning a Medallion in the Middle of a B2B?

POA1

Here's a question (and one that shows that it's a slow night here) -

Let's say some random Holland America passenger - We'll call him POB2 (no relation) and his lovely bride, NebraskaFanGirl (again, no relation) are at 93 actual sailing days. They have a 14 day B2B scheduled in the fall. At the end of the first segment, they will have reached the 100 day milestone, making them eligible for the coveted (by them, anyway, as they are easily distracted by shiny objects) bronze medallion.

Okay... I realize that the previous paragraph wasn't a question. It's more the preamble to the question, which is:

Will the medallions be awarded during the second week's Mariner lunch, or do the aforementioned travelers have to wait until a subsequent trip? There will be two Mariner thingys because the cruise is also sold as two 7 day standalone voyages.

After I posed this question, it occurred to me that cruise won't post to these people's Mariner accounts until they finish their 14 day cruise. I suppose they could buy a 100 day medallion on eBay and wear it during their second week with a little asterisk sign that reads:

===================

* Technically, I earned this.

===================

Edited by POA1

You should get your medallions at the Mariner Brunch in the first week. We got our copper at 93 actual days. (You should remind them before hand though.)

If you cross a star-level boundary during any cruise (except a GWV) you don't get those benefits until 7>10 days after the cruise, but since there's no benefits tied to medallions they give them right away.

Edited by catl331

We reached the 100 day mark at some point during our 27 day TA and Med cruise in 2011. We were awarded our medals during that voyage.

You should get your medallions at the Mariner Brunch in the first week. We got our copper at 93 actual days. (You should remind them before hand though.)

If you cross a star-level boundary during any cruise (except a GWV) you don't get those benefits until 7>10 days after the cruise, but since there's no benefits tied to medallions they give them right away.

Thanks for your answers! We... um, sorry... They might hit 4 star on this cruise as well. It will be somewhat thirst-dependent, but it should be close.

Edited by POA1

They might hit 4 star on this cruise as well. It will be somewhat thirst-dependent, but it should be close.
No matter how much you spend you are limited to one bonus spending day per actual day. If you are in a suite that would give you double days, so the most you can possibly get is 14+28.

Onboard Spending Bonus Effective with cruises on or after September 18, 2009, one bonus Cruise Day credit will be granted for each $300 in eligible onboard purchases. This is calculated on the combined folio charges for all guests on the booking, regardless of who signs each charge and who pays the bill. Only the first two guests on the booking receive the limit of one bonus day for each day sailed; 3rd and 4th guests on the same booking do not earn the onboard spending bonus.

Edited by catl331

Your sailing days are counted in "real time" i.e. you get the medal during the cruise in which you achieve it.

The bonus days (for suite or on-board spend) however, aren't not applied until after the cruise ends, in time for your next cruise.

Thanks for your answers! We... um, sorry... They might hit 4 star on this cruise as well. It will be somewhat thirst-dependent, but it should be close.

You could always take a brief 4-star building cruise in advance of your next big cruise....

No matter how much you spend you are limited to one bonus spending day per actual day. If you are in a suite that would give you double days, so the most you can possibly get is 14+28.

Technically, it's triple if you have the suite bonus. 14 base + 14 suite + 14 (max) spend would be 42.

You could always take a brief 4-star building cruise in advance of your next big cruise....

While we would love to do that, schedules just don't permit it. We can theoretically reach 201 days at the end of the next cruise, but I don't know if that will happen. We booked a retreat cabana. We'll have a respectable amount of corkage, and we have been known to have a cocktail or two. However, we prefer to do our own excursions, eschewing the ship's offerings in favor of small tours and private charters. Without excursions, it might be a stretch to spend $300 per day.

Lots of luck! We just got off the World Cruise the end of April. Me and DW

were to have a total of 498 days not counting our purchases for the gold.

We asked if we could get the Gold medallion at the mariner party, for the

lack of two days. We were told very politely. No Can Do amigo. After getting

off we now have 516 days, and still no medallion. If that is their policy, well

fine. However, I have read on other threads that some people got their

medal during their cruise. Go figure. When you look at it the added perks

from Silver to Gold they are not that much, so I guess it's no big deal having it.

<SNIP>

This is not always true, but likely the rule. In 2013, we made 3 stars during our TA and Baltic Collectors cruise at the end of the TA portion. Upon re-boarding at Tilbury where the TA ended, we received our 3 star pins, new room card with 3 stars and, most importantly, benefits for the remainder of the cruise.

We were pleased and probably quite lucky someone foresaw this.

Technically, it's triple if you have the suite bonus. 14 base + 14 suite + 14 (max) spend would be 42.
Which is the same as 14+28, which is what catl331 said.

We can theoretically reach 201 days at the end of the next cruise, but I don't know if that will happen. We booked a retreat cabana. We'll have a respectable amount of corkage, and we have been known to have a cocktail or two. However, we prefer to do our own excursions, eschewing the ship's offerings in favor of small tours and private charters. Without excursions, it might be a stretch to spend $300 per day.
You can spend $3,000 per day and you'll still get just one bonus day per day sailed.

You should get your 100 day medallion at the end of the first segment of your cruise.
No, they should get their medallion at (or just before) the Mariner Brunch in the first segment. Edited by jtl513

Which is the same as 14+28, which is what catl331 said.

Thanks for correcting me. It was late and I misread catl331's message.

Sorry catl331. :(

My point was the lack of two days, after spending 113 days on the Amsterdam.

But it sounds like you are combining 2 different programs.

Medallions are for actual days sailed -- no counting of spending or double points (days) for staying in a suite. Medals look like this:

700_day_medals_001.JPG

Star Pins are what you get at certain levels and under this program you count days sailed, spending, and double days for certain categories:

4_Star_Mariner_Pin_004.JPG

Apparently there is a bit of uncertainty about stars. I started my 7-day August Veendam cruise with 69 points. My actually cruise days took me to 76 without counting any spending points, and my 3-star pin was on my bed one of the last evenings. Since spending points were not needed I got the pin on the cruise where it was earned. I'm sure I would not have gotten it if my actual cruise days took me to 74 instead of 76, although I would still have been at 75 based on post cruise accounting and would have received it later.

I also started my World Cruise segment with 93 actual days and was awarded the medallion while on the cruise.

Roy

After my last cruise numbers were posted to my account, I had 196 Mariner Days and 72 actual cruise days. So I am 4 Mariner Days away from becoming 4* and 28 cruise days away from receiving my Bronze Medallion.

My next cruise is a 36 day New Zealand/Australia/South Pacific cruise that is made up of two segments (14 days Auckland - Sydney and 22 days Sydney - Vancouver).

I have confirmed with the Mariner Society that I will be able to obtain my 4* status on the second segment of the cruise and therefore partake in all the benefits of 4*. During the second segment, I will then achieve the 100 cruise day level. So I am expecting to receive my Medallion during the second segment of the cruise.

What do you think the odds are of receiving the 4* pin after 4 days on the first segment? I hear that the Captain sometimes presents them when you become 4* Mariners? Has anyone experienced this?

Lots of luck! We just got off the World Cruise the end of April. Me and DW

were to have a total of 498 days not counting our purchases for the gold.

We asked if we could get the Gold medallion at the mariner party, for the

lack of two days. We were told very politely. No Can Do amigo. After getting

off we now have 516 days, and still no medallion. If that is their policy, well

fine. However, I have read on other threads that some people got their

medal during their cruise. Go figure. When you look at it the added perks

from Silver to Gold they are not that much, so I guess it's no big deal having it.

I bolded this because KK is correct Purchases do not count towards the Gold medal..

Did you have 498 Actual sailing days or are you trying to count other things like booking a suite or your purchases in that number?

If you had 498 ACTUAL Sailing Days then I believe someone may have dropped the ball..

Suggest you contact the Mariner Society to clear this up..

Edited by serendipity1499

I understand your point and disappointment but their point is you had not yet reached 500 days. They award Gold Medallion when you have reached or exceeded 500 days.

We got our Platinum Medallions some cruises ago and that means 700 days or more.