Total Cruise Newby Question

paddingtonbear

When you go onboard do they give you a plan of the ship so you know where you are going?

Do they give you a tour?

Or should we take one of the Princess brochures showing all the levels?

I am trying not to carry unnecessary stuff the whole time we are away.

Here's a recent thread about this subject...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2035457

And check the Princess Patter (ship's newsletter found in your stateroom) upon embarkation as they do offer a short 'tour' of the main public spaces of the ship including the spa areas.

:D

Edited by dmwnc1959

Here's a recent thread about this subject...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2035457

And check the Princess Patter (ship's newsletter found in your stateroom) upon embarkation as they do offer a short 'tour' of the main public spaces of the ship including the spa areas.

:D

Thanks for that link. I did do a search but obviously not the right search.

What a great thread that is.

Princess has had, and I believe still have a game that brings to many of the venues around the ship. On boarding you receive a card. You find all the on board revenue venues around the ship with your map and they stamp them. Then later in the afternoon, after muster, you turn in your card and they draw for prizes. Some prizes are nice, some are just so-so. Look for it.

One thing I do is to practically memorize the deck plans that are available on the Princess website.

Once you learn where the major venues are, it is much easier to get around.

Of course, when I boarded the Coral for my very first cruise, I was lost...seems that the deck plans show the top plan view. Even though the walls are shown, the plans do not break up the spaces as they really are on the ship.

All of a sudden, the nice clean views I had learned were gone-replaced by corridors and walls. It took a little time to get oriented, but after that it was pretty easy to get around.

Exploring the ship for the first time is always an adventure. Don't fear it, you really can't get that lost and you might have a lot of fun seeing all the great vents on the ship.

Have a great cruise.

You'll get a little map when you first get on board. If not (and if not in the little book that's on the desk in your cabin), go to the Passenger Services Desk (probably try to avoid going right after boarding as they could be a line for many different reasons).

On every deck, there'll be a plaque with a diagram of the ship by every elevator. It's very simplified but can be helpful. The big thing is to figure out where places you'll want to go to: your main dining room(s), the Horizon Court (buffet), the International Cafe (not an enclosed eatery but some display cases with yummy food that will be in the Piazza, which is the bottom deck of the Grand Atrium -- basically midship). Those are the food places.

As for other places, check out the deck plans on the Princess website and you'll be able to find out where the kids' program rooms are -- if you're going with kids; the spa/gym area; shops; etc. You'll know which ones you'll be interested in. The Patter (the daily newsletter) will list the various venues and any hours they're open (some are available 24/7) and will say the deck name/number and whether aft, forward or midships. For example, Lido aft (usually a pool and/or Horizon Court).

The back of your cabin door will have a diagram of where your muster station is (usually a lounge) -- you'll go there for the muster drill that first afternoon.

The rest of your cruise you can have fun exploring the ship -- no need to do it all the first afternoon.

When you find that plaque on the wall of the ship, with all the places you can go, and the ship is not moving so you can't tell the back from the front.......Notice which way the ship [plaque] is pointed. It will be placed in the direction of where the front and the aft of the ship is.

Also, when you get off the elevator to go to your cabin and you don't know whether to go to the Right [starboard] or the Left [Port] - Remember Odd numbered Cabins are on the Right and Even numbers are on the Left. The carpet on the Starboard side of the hallway has blue in it and carpet on the Port side has red in it [Port wine is red.]

I am going to show how anal retentive I am with this post, but I always have the ship's layout known prior to boarding. I make it a point to know where everything is with relation to my cabin.

Why?

It is part of my training, you want to be able to act w/o thinking should anything terrible happen. You want to know where/how to get to you and yours to safety as quickly as possible.

It was ENGRAINED into me and to which I hold 'til this day.

Derek

When you find that plaque on the wall of the ship, with all the places you can go, and the ship is not moving so you can't tell the back from the front.......Notice which way the ship [plaque] is pointed. It will be placed in the direction of where the front and the aft of the ship is.

Also, when you get off the elevator to go to your cabin and you don't know whether to go to the Right [starboard] or the Left [Port] - Remember Odd numbered Cabins are on the Right and Even numbers are on the Left. The carpet on the Starboard side of the hallway has blue in it and carpet on the Port side has red in it [Port wine is red.]

Those plaques do help me know which hallway to go. I look for "starboard" or "port" as I can actually see these words when getting off the elevator.

SANY0592_zps6c0d28fd.jpg

Those plaques do help me know which hallway to go. I look for "starboard" or "port" as I can actually see these words when getting off the elevator.

SANY0592_zps6c0d28fd.jpg

Brilliant. Some folks get totally turned around when they're onboard. These little hints do come in handy.

The carpet color trick is one I use a lot. To clarify, port side hallways have red border at the edges and starboard side has blue. You can tell at a glance which way to turn when you exit the elevator.

I am going to show how anal retentive I am with this post, but I always have the ship's layout known prior to boarding. I make it a point to know where everything is with relation to my cabin.

Why?

It is part of my training, you want to be able to act w/o thinking should anything terrible happen. You want to know where/how to get to you and yours to safety as quickly as possible.

It was ENGRAINED into me and to which I hold 'til this day.

Derek

so true. Always want to know the way out and where restrooms are!

Also, on most, if not all cruise ships the bank of elevators [on the decks where the cabins are on both sides] will be facing "forward" [with the stairways facing aft.] So, when you exit the elevator [most folks are facing forward, unless you stand in the elevator facing the back of it and exit backwards], your cabin is either on the right [starboard] or the left [Port].

Now, you must remember if you're cabin is in the Aft [rear] of the ship Mid-Ship [Middle] or Forward [front] of the ship so you can take the appropriate elevators.

And, if you're in the front of the ship and your cabin is in the rear, just walk down the Promenade and take the aft elevator, rather than taking a forward or mid-ship elevator. It's easier because you won't be forced to walk down the narrow hallways, where the cabins are, to get to the rear. The hallways can be very congested, with the Steward's carts and other folks who have made that very same mistake. On my last cruise, my SIL continuously made this mistake and found herself walking down the cabin hallways rather than the more interesting and much wider Promenade Deck.

Also if you have a smartphone or a tablet there are several apps and websites that will let you download the ships configuration to use in airplane mode. Very helpful.

Yes I downloaded "shipmate" which is great because I won't have to look like a complete newby walking around with a map. :)

Thank you all for all these tips. It has really helped me feel more relaxed about finding my way around the ship. : )

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You're welcome! It will be a breeze. There are many decks that really are of no matter since all cabins. I felt a little lost at first, even though I do study and jot down where locations are beforehand. No problems though!

Also, on most, if not all cruise ships the bank of elevators [on the decks where the cabins are on both sides] will be facing "forward" [with the stairways facing aft.] So, when you exit the elevator [most folks are facing forward, unless you stand in the elevator facing the back of it and exit backwards], your cabin is either on the right [starboard] or the left [Port].

that might apply to princess but not others.

Most NCL ships the aft stairs are aft of the aft elevators.

RCI and X most ships have at leas one set that the stairs are aft of the levators.

When you go onboard do they give you a plan of the ship so you know where you are going?

Do they give you a tour?

One thing that may help you is that the carpet color, on the decks with cabins, is different on port and starboard. not too many people notice this. It will help you know which side of the ship your cabin is on. Normally one side has orange in it and the other blue. Check it out

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Kenn

Do they give you a tour?

One thing that may help you is that the carpet color, on the decks with cabins, is different on port and starboard. not too many people notice this. It will help you know which side of the ship your cabin is on. Normally one side has orange in it and the other blue. Check it out

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Kenn

Do they give you a tour?

The embarkation day Patter (newsletter that will be in your cabin upon arrival) will likely list a "Tour of the ship's Public Areas". On our most recent cruise it was at 2 PM.

So check your Patter for time and the meeting location. And bring the map they gave you at check-in,