Internet prices

frankc98376

We were on a B2B Coastal on Zuiderdam this month. First leg was standard $100 for 250 minutes- second leg was $149 unlimited use. Flier we got stated that it would be active until docking last day in Vancouver (May 17). Not true- tried to get online that morning and was greeted with the "you need to pay" page.

Pay options on the page were back to the per-minute packages.

Wondering if this one was another Zuiderdam test ala last year or if the unlimited daily and cruise options have rolled out. I recall last year charges on Zuiderdam during the "test" period were all over the board for a while from very cheap to ridiculously expensive.

Edited by frankc98376

Wondering if this one was another Zuiderdam test ala last year ...
I certainly hope so! Did you try any of the new plans? If so, how busy was it? Did you see many empty terminals in the Explorations Café?

We did the $149 unlimited plan. Service withe the new provider doesn't seem as strong in Alaska as MTN was. Several times in port there was no signal. I had no signal in Skagway mid day and called Guest Services- they said it was due to the mountains or weather. Two hours later a full signal-nothing had changed in our location or the weather.

It was nice not to have to worry about minutes and fighting to get minutes back that had "disappeared".

I miss having a dedicated Internet person aboard. Everything is now handled be the Librarian and Front Office- seems like they just had canned answers to read when a problem happened. My only complaint on my post cruise survey was the internet- very unreliable and usually slow.

Thanks for the update Frank. I've been in the habit of "printing" the screens from Internet sign-up forms to PDF files when I travel. It makes disputing charges with the credit card company easier when a service fails to deliver what is promised.

Thanks for the update Frank. I've been in the habit of "printing" the screens from Internet sign-up forms to PDF files when I travel. It makes disputing charges with the credit card company easier when a service fails to deliver what is promised.

I should clarify. I haven't had a problem with HAL Internet billing ever. It's usually airport hotspots or hotels. (It would appear that I am the only person to not have shipboard Internet issues. :) )

We were on the Maasdam in March under the old "minute system" but with the new provider. The internet was a little faster than before. The Librarian is now the Internet Manager and has no technical capabilities what so ever.

If you have technical issues, you now have to wait for one of the Techspert "Ask Your Tech Question" Sessions. It's not convenient, but at least you have access to somebody that has some technical capabilities.

Saga Cruises in the UK are offering free wi-fi for all new bookings across their fleet. Know this doesn't help HAL cruisers or the internet manager situation, but wonder if any other lines will take this up too. Unfortunately, I expect other bigger cruise lines will think Saga is too insignificant to make a difference to their market shares.

Onboard the Amsterdam now. The internet package is the old one (minutes). I specifically asked about the Zuiderdam pricing based on your live thread and was told that the Zuiderdam was testing the new pricing.

It will be interesting what the current passengers on Zuiderdam are being charged. Last year the Zuiderdam "testing" was all over the map.

Just off the Rotterdam and the internet speed was OK most of the time and I could access the internet in my cabin which was great. I had used up all the minutes in my packages and on the last day there was a special for 15 or 30 minutes which I signed up for, but it charged me the activation fee again. So the "one time activation fee" is not true either. I also had 'disappearing minutes' so next time I will be more vigilent and get proof as they surely add up, I think about 3 or 4 minutes went every time I logged in.

Quick Tip: Most pay per use Internet packages use session tracking. On HAL, in the past anyway, it was done by the login window. To keep your session alive and accurate, open a new window (not just a new tab) that you use for work, keeping the session window in the background. When you're done working, close the "work window," which should bring your "session keep-alive window" to the front /back in focus. Then, log out of the session window. Make a note of your usage and time left.

I use the term "work" to indicate the browser window in which I'm doing stuff - usually work in my case. If you are using the Interwebs for something other than work, just substitute "checking email window" or "looking at adorable kitty & puppy window."

It will be interesting what the current passengers on Zuiderdam are being charged. Last year the Zuiderdam "testing" was all over the map.

We were on the Zuiderdam May 17 -24 and the Internet pricing was the same as the previous week. The reception was absolutely horrible and the system always seemed to be down when I wanted to use it. I personally like the 9.99 for a continuous hour as I only go on to get in touch via email with my father and a couple of friends. So really don't use it every day.

I was on the Zuiderdam for the week in Alaska where the new pricing was introduced. With all the problems encountered with the new system on the Panama segment the previous three weeks, it was the first time ever that I did not buy an internet package.

I started a thread warning about the criss crossing of my CC account with another CC member onboard. I also encountered the issues others described with disappearing minutes, even though I was carefully logged out, dropping of signal, an unavailability of signal and deathly slowness.

There was no help available for technical issues as the librarian is now the person responsible for the internet packages.

These problems, along with the fact that I can no longer trust the system when logging into a site requiring a password, have made me decide that I will not be buying anymore shipboard internet-----and I do love my internet time. I know I will suffer from twitchy fingers but will just have to live with it.

On the bright side, the onboard account will have a noticeably lower balance. If the frustration from others that I am reading about translates into fewer people buying packages then the new system may well turn into a bust for HAL. As a stockholder I want to see them do well but.........

We did the $149 unlimited plan. Service withe the new provider doesn't seem as strong in Alaska as MTN was. Several times in port there was no signal. I had no signal in Skagway mid day and called Guest Services- they said it was due to the mountains or weather. Two hours later a full signal-nothing had changed in our location or the weather.

It was nice not to have to worry about minutes and fighting to get minutes back that had "disappeared".

I miss having a dedicated Internet person aboard. Everything is now handled be the Librarian and Front Office- seems like they just had canned answers to read when a problem happened. My only complaint on my post cruise survey was the internet- very unreliable and usually slow.

Hey Frank -

I agree that it appears that you got a bogus answer. As long as HAL charges a fee to use the service, it seems they should support it when you are using their hardware. Can you imagine the questions they must have to answer?

The world is getting pretty techie and would hope most people would be able to use their own hardware. I guess their are those who learn a little slower than others.

Before the new unlimited plans, I was on a B2B and they were able to carry my excess minutes forward. I did have to ask because they closed down the old account late the last day.

Edited by Sam.Seattle

The world is getting pretty techie and would hope most people would be able to use their own hardware. I guess their are those who learn a little slower than others.

With MTN the internet manager was a trained MTN employee. With the new Harris equipment, it appears that HAL-employee librarians are just being expected to pick up what they can by experience.

It seems like in the past 5 years, DW and I routinely cruise on HAL, Celebrity, and Princess. We just finished 25 days on the Ruby Princess where we were given 1,000 free internet minutes because we are Elite. On Celebrity we get hundreds of free internet minutes per cruise because we are Elite Plus. On HAL, we get zero free internet minutes despite being 4 Star Mariners. Just the facts :)

Hank

With MTN the internet manager was a trained MTN employee. With the new Harris equipment, it appears that HAL-employee librarians are just being expected to pick up what they can by experience.

Hopefully they catch on quickly. It seems to be the older crowd that is having a harder time catching on. I chuckle to myself when I hear some of the silly questions and comments that are asked on-board with the librarians and then shared here.

Edited by Sam.Seattle

I chuckle to myself when I hear some of the silly questions and comments that are asked on-board with the librarians and then shared here.
A friend teaches an iPad class for Seniors. Some them have gotten the iPads as gifts from their children, and barely know how to turn it on!

Hopefully they catch on quickly. It seems to be the older crowd that is having a harder time catching on. I chuckle to myself when I hear some of the silly questions and comments that are asked on-board with the librarians and then shared here.

Curious - like what? I haven't seen any librarian questions on here. Just a comment that the librarian is the go-to person for internet now. (I'm an older person, by the way and I didn't like your comment).

Curious - like what? I haven't seen any librarian questions on here. Just a comment that the librarian is the go-to person for internet now. (I'm an older person' date=' by the way and I didn't like your comment).[/quote']

Agree

I work with nurses and paramedical younger than me and some of them have more trouble with the computer/internet than myself or the older nurses who are determined to learn what we need to do our job.

I talk to seniors everyday who could put a lot of us to shame in their knowledge, wisdom, and attitude toward life.

Sometimes tells me that if those seniors are out there sailing and enjoying life - they may be onto something the rest of us could learn!!!