Norwegian Fjiord Cruises

mollyvicto

Just did it 2 weeks ago on Eclipse.

We've done the fjords in New Zealand, Chile and (sort of fjords) Alaska and would say that the Norwegian fjords were the most scenic. Coldest and most expensive, too, but well worth it :)

Same here, we were on Eclipse 2 weeks ago

It was my favourite cruise along with Venice, the scenery is stunning

Geiranger and Flam were my favourite stops, the railway in Flam was a great trip but very expensive, you can actually walk a minute to the train, but I would pre book as it sells out quickly

I would recommend this cruise to anyone :)

I woke up to this view

URL=http://s76.photobucket.com/user/Janangtal/media/imagejpg2.jpg.html]imagejpg2.jpg[/url]

Beautiful Geiranger

URL=http://s76.photobucket.com/user/Janangtal/media/imagejpg1-11.jpg.html]imagejpg1-11.jpg[/url]

Edited by rubydoobydoo

Just as you get off the ship you will find the tourist information office (there is a free wi fi hotspot just outside) we booked the bus tour that took us to 2 viewpoints, it was about £20 each for the one we did and we were very happy with it.

They run different trips, we couldn't do the one that included the mountain due to the snow but in June you will probably have more choice

We didn't do the Celebrity trips so I don't know if they were good

I know there is a helicopter ride too but it was expensive

Has anyone done the Norwegian Fjiord cruise and what did you think of it? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Great area of the world, but not cheap. Norway has high wages, taxes and costs. The rewards?? So super scenic. Below are a few visuals samples of what we enjoyed. More pictures and details are outlined in the below live/blog. We didn't sail on Celebrity for this cruise, but our two most recent were on the Celebrity Solstice in Med and then earlier this year for Australia-NZ.

KEY NORWAY COAST QUESTION: Your major challenge is whether to just focus on the lower Norway fjords, Bergen, etc. Nice and wonderful. BUT, there is the option of going up, UP farther north, above the Arctic Circle, seeing such great places as the Lofoten Islands, the North Cape, interesting cities such as Tromso and Trondheim, etc., in taking more time to go more north. Only doing the lower portion requires less time, has more sailing/ship options and costs less. That’s very good! BUT, if you can take the added time, seeing farther up this Norway coast can be very special and unique. Especially, if you really love/seek nature, great scenery, wildlife, etc. Your choice?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 143,538 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

You go on these Norway Coast cruises for the spectacular fjords. From the journey to Flam, Gudvangen and Sognerfjord, here is one picture giving you a sampling of the skies and views for these beautiful internal coastlines of the fjords. Being up on the top of the boat can provide great view on BOTH sides as you sail up and down these various fjords.

FjordsSkyMtsDramaRevised.jpg

This is the super scenic view from immediately above Geiranger that shows the Silver Cloud and Costa ships tendered. A little before this picture, we were to go to Mt. Dalsnibba as a photo stop from this 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. Here is this view, at a lower level, that provided a wonderful vista.:

FjordsFinalPortLongView.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. First is the “Seven Sisters”. Directly opposite in this narrow fjord, it is called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

This picture shows the Bergen Floibanen funicular railway coming up the steep hill with the harbor, fish market, etc. in the background of this charming Norway coastal town with so much great history and architecture. On the top, somewhat right, the Silver Cloud and Costa ships can be seen in the harbor.

BergenRailCarUpHill.jpg

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. Super loved the charm, character, history and beauty in Bergen.:

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

Right near the Hanseatic merchant warehouse area is the Bergen Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items.:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

I strongly recommend it, have done it 4x!!!

Breathtaking landscape, nice ports of call, huge waterfalls and midnight sun! Just great, one of my favourite areas!

In 2015, Celebrity just offers few cruises to Norway - IMHO the 14 night Iceland and Norway on Eclipse is best (from Southampton), because you also have the incredible shores of Iceland!

Just book Norway! You will never forget. :)

I strongly recommend it, have done it 4x!!!

Breathtaking landscape, nice ports of call, huge waterfalls and midnight sun! Just great, one of my favourite areas!

In 2015, Celebrity just offers few cruises to Norway - IMHO the 14 night Iceland and Norway on Eclipse is best (from Southampton), because you also have the incredible shores of Iceland!

Just book Norway! You will never forget. :)

Brilliant that's the one I booked 27/06/15, it looks like it will be an experience to remember.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I bought only a few things during my eight days in Norway. The gift shops have to charge tax on top of the purchases but it wasn't outrageous. Most Norwegian cruises sail from England anyway- so you don't really have to stay overnight in Norway. Meals are included on the ship. I'm not much of a shopper and didn't book any excursions (which are in US dollars anyway if booked through the cruise line)- so unless you plan to eat on land and shop for lots of things- the cost of going to Norway wasn't any different for me than going to say Copenhagen! Copenhagen was outrageous due to the exchange rate.

Norway was expensive but we didn't spend a great deal, we actually spent less than £100 for our 8 day cruise, we did the Fenicular in Bergen, the bus trip in Geiranger, had a couple of ice creams, a drink and got myself a couple of fridge magnets

We ate and drank on the ship, and apart from Bergen where we had a free shuttle bus, it was easy to go back to the ship for lunch if we wanted, then back off to look around.

If You are feeling fit there is a good walk up to a viewing point in Alesund, it is very high and after what seemed like a long walk to me there was another 400 plus steps to,climb, I am very unfit but I made it up and down, if you don't fancy the walk there is a little land train that drives up there, it is worth the view

You can't appreciate how high it is from this picture

URL=http://s76.photobucket.com/user/Janangtal/media/imagejpg1-12.jpg.html]imagejpg1-12.jpg[/url]

Edited by rubydoobydoo

A lot depends on the weather too. In Oslo, it rained very heavy all day we were there. In Alesund, there was no point going to the viewpoint as it was up un the clouds with no visibility. But we went to some great places, The Flam railway was fantastic.

It isnt the cheapest place to go, 2 coffees and cakes was £16. 2 drinks in the micro brewery in Flam was £20. Do I regret it, NO, i would do it again in a heartbeat.

As others have said, you need not spend a lot of money off the ship and everything is so close to the ship wherever you are that its so easy to do your own thing.

I've seen nothing better for natural beauty. Still one of my favorite cruises.

You might consider flying Iceland Air and visiting Iceland before the cruise. They want visitors and Iceland Air allows you to fly in and stay a few days before taking you to the mainland.

Has anyone done the Norwegian Fjiord cruise and what did you think of it?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I'm going to try to present a little different perspective here than "It's great, you should go!"...

I've done the Norwegian Fjords twice...

Once on Constellation on a 14 night Itinerary that also circled the British Isles visiting 3 ports in Ireland and one in Scotland...

The second time was on Eclipse on a 14 night cruise that also went to Iceland and the Faroe Islands...

I have also done a cruise to Alaska...and one to New Zealand, so can compare it to the fjords and glaciers one finds there as well...

Now, when comparing ANY itinerary, it's most important to set it up with some set of standards or criteria...What is it you are cruising for? If your main reasons to consider this cruise are for the scenery, IMHO, the scenery is unmatched. If far prefer it to the small portion of the New Zealand cruise one spends in the fjord area--which includes little opportunity to adventure on land in the region. The Alaska experience gives you far more ability to personally view glaciers as, depending on the cruise, you can sail right up to Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay...and in that Alaska allows helicopter landings on glaciers (Norway doesn't). But the overall scenery in Norway has some considerable advantages...Sailing into the Fjords is breathtaking...and, the main advantage, for me, is that the towns visited are far more interesting...a little bit of foreign culture, architecture, etc.--something you really don't feel in Alaska or New Zealand...

I did really appreciate doing it the way we did--on "combo" cruises that not only visited Norway but also Ireland or Iceland, respectively--as it gave us a little more variety to the cruise...One of the problems, for me, with Alaska or Norway, alone, is that it can seem a bit repetitive...

Now, I also look at this in the context of my overall travels...Why Norway? For me, it's that we cruise a lot...and we have seen a lot of the world one can see from a cruise ship...And sometimes cruise itineraries can get repetitive...IMHO, you have to mix it up a bit...And doing a cruise like this is very different than cruising the Mediterranean or the Caribbean or even the Baltic...We tend to take a major cruise trip each summer, most often to Europe...So, to keep things different, we'll do a Mediterranean one year, a Baltic the next, then throw in Norway, then back to another Mediterranean...Keeps things somewhat fresh...

And ALL are well worth doing...

OTOH, If I was only doing one European cruise...and I had to choose from among the Mediterranean, the Baltic and a Norwegian Fjords cruise, then, sorry, the Norwegian Fjords would come in a distant third...

Why? Because my main criteria in cruising is to explore different cultures, food, architecture, art, history, etc. The Mediterranean blows everything away by all of these criteria...the history and archaeology is incredible, the food is great, the ports are all very different and each amazing...The Baltic ports have some pretty good history and cultureand a bit of charm...but, the Norwegian Fjords ports are, generally small villages and towns, all somewhat repetitive...the food is not all that great...the history does not go back as far and somewhat pales in importance...The sole attraction--and, don't get me wrong, it is a MAJOR attraction, is the scenery--which is incredible...So, if scenery is of major importance to you, it is hard to beat this. If you are looking for a more overall foreign travel experience, there may be better choices...If you, like me, want to go EVERYWHERE, then, no question, this is one you should do...

I'd also add that if your ancestors came from Norway, then it's also a definite "Go"...

I'm going to try to present a little different perspective here than "It's great, you should go!"...

I've done the Norwegian Fjords twice...

Once on Constellation on a 14 night Itinerary that also circled the British Isles visiting 3 ports in Ireland and one in Scotland...

The second time was on Eclipse on a 14 night cruise that also went to Iceland and the Faroe Islands...

I have also done a cruise to Alaska...and one to New Zealand, so can compare it to the fjords and glaciers one finds there as well...

Now, when comparing ANY itinerary, it's most important to set it up with some set of standards or criteria...What is it you are cruising for? If your main reasons to consider this cruise are for the scenery, IMHO, the scenery is unmatched. If far prefer it to the small portion of the New Zealand cruise one spends in the fjord area--which includes little opportunity to adventure on land in the region. The Alaska experience gives you far more ability to personally view glaciers as, depending on the cruise, you can sail right up to Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay...and in that Alaska allows helicopter landings on glaciers (Norway doesn't). But the overall scenery in Norway has some considerable advantages...Sailing into the Fjords is breathtaking...and, the main advantage, for me, is that the towns visited are far more interesting...a little bit of foreign culture, architecture, etc.--something you really don't feel in Alaska or New Zealand...

I did really appreciate doing it the way we did--on "combo" cruises that not only visited Norway but also Ireland or Iceland, respectively--as it gave us a little more variety to the cruise...One of the problems, for me, with Alaska or Norway, alone, is that it can seem a bit repetitive...

Now, I also look at this in the context of my overall travels...Why Norway? For me, it's that we cruise a lot...and we have seen a lot of the world one can see from a cruise ship...And sometimes cruise itineraries can get repetitive...IMHO, you have to mix it up a bit...And doing a cruise like this is very different than cruising the Mediterranean or the Caribbean or even the Baltic...We tend to take a major cruise trip each summer, most often to Europe...So, to keep things different, we'll do a Mediterranean one year, a Baltic the next, then throw in Norway, then back to another Mediterranean...Keeps things somewhat fresh...

And ALL are well worth doing...

OTOH, If I was only doing one European cruise...and I had to choose from among the Mediterranean, the Baltic and a Norwegian Fjords cruise, then, sorry, the Norwegian Fjords would come in a distant third...

Why? Because my main criteria in cruising is to explore different cultures, food, architecture, art, history, etc. The Mediterranean blows everything away by all of these criteria...the history and archaeology is incredible, the food is great, the ports are all very different and each amazing...The Baltic ports have some pretty good history and cultureand a bit of charm...but, the Norwegian Fjords ports are, generally small villages and towns, all somewhat repetitive...the food is not all that great...the history does not go back as far and somewhat pales in importance...The sole attraction--and, don't get me wrong, it is a MAJOR attraction, is the scenery--which is incredible...So, if scenery is of major importance to you, it is hard to beat this. If you are looking for a more overall foreign travel experience, there may be better choices...If you, like me, want to go EVERYWHERE, then, no question, this is one you should do...

I'd also add that if your ancestors came from Norway, then it's also a definite "Go"...

If you are able you can drive to glaciers in Norway. You can walk right up to one and touch it, although that is not recommended since you could get killed by falling ice.:eek: A drive inland in Norway is beautiful.

Culturally, there are more interesting places, but one of the most interesting places I have visited is the Botanical Garden in Tromso. It is billed as the worlds northern most botanical garden. Maybe you have to be a gardener to appreciate it, but I found it fascinating. http://www.visitnorway.com/us/Product/?pid=140989

The food: You don't like whale meat? I won't eat it.

I was also on the Eclipse 2 weeks ago. My mouth didn't close the whole time, it was so stunning. We did the cable car in Bergen - the view from the top is out of this world. You can book the train from Flam to Mrydal privately which works out about £40 per person, well worth it. Gerainger we watched as the captain manoeuvred to the floating pier, amazing achievement. We went by previously booked coach up Mount Dibna to above the snow line where the snow almost entirely covered an hotel where we turned around - thrilling. Also discovered that Gerainger Fjord is on of UNESCO's top tourist sites. On to Alesund where we took the little tourist train, u6ajepe3.jpg or you can have the choice of the town HoHo bus. yre4aty6.jpg. On to Stavanger where we had pre-booked the Lysfjord 3 hour trip. my5u6ysy.jpg. Stunning scenery and once again very good historical information from the operator of the boat bmeqy6upy.jpg. Altogether an amazing trip, DO IT!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have not been to NZ but as far as scenery goes, nothing beats cruising to the Norwegian Fjords. Stunning!!!

We've been to Alaska 3 times, around the Horn to Chile but Norway is just a totally different experience. Loved it..

Went last year on the Infinity and couldn't have been happier. The ports, the food, the scenery, the people - all magnificent. The posted pictures are lovely but nothing compares to seeing the waterfalls and glaciers in person. Loved every single minute!!

• 1 month later...

We are also looking at booking the Eclipse cruise for next June - it will tie in with our wedding anniversary!

It's also somewhere where neither of us has been and it looks stunning. I have also wanted to go to Iceland so kills 2 birds with 1 stone! :)

Has anyone done the Norwegian Fjiord cruise and what did you think of it?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

We loved the cruise but would not go again in early May. It was cold and snowing in some ports.

We did the Norwegian Fjords for a 10 night cruise on the Infinity last summer. (My husband and I are in our mid-40s.) As everyone else has mentioned, the scenery is breathtaking. It's a good option for those who are not as active, as those passengers can see the beautiful fjords without getting off the ship. There were many older people on our sailing. On the other hand, there were plenty of strenuous excursions for the more active set. We did cycling, hiking and walking and loved every port. We did see children, but not many. The weather in July was lovely. It was mild, and I did sit on the deck in my swimwear, but stayed covered up due to the hint of chill. But, very little rain, even in Bergen! I would say this is a great option for those who are seeking stunning scenery and inviting landscapes. Oh, and you might be tempted to do the "Ice Bar" in Oslo, but don't bother - too tourist-trappy :)