Tom's Blog...Star Princess May 23--RT from San Francisco to Alaska

trbarton

I'm departing on the Star Princess May 23--RT from San Francisco to Alaska. I will post details of my trip as time and Internet connections allow and answer questions as I'm able.

Tom:)

I'm departing on the Star Princess May 23--RT from San Francisco to Alaska. I will post details of my trip as time and Internet connections allow and answer questions as I'm able.

Looking forward to it Tom!

Thanks for your upcoming Live. If you get a chance, could you find out if the CD will be continuing on the next sailing or will there be another CD? We got the email from Princess about our CD and where a name should be there was nothing and the link for more information went to a blank page. Are they doing the CD shuffle on the Star?

Jackie

Thanks for your upcoming Live. If you get a chance, could you find out if the CD will be continuing on the next sailing or will there be another CD? We got the email from Princess about our CD and where a name should be there was nothing and the link for more information went to a blank page. Are they doing the CD shuffle on the Star?

Jackie

Jackie:

The C/D on the Star, Paul Chandler-Burns, just started on the May 12th cruise so I doubt that he would be leaving.

Jackie:

The C/D on the Star, Paul Chandler-Burns, just started on the May 12th cruise so I doubt that he would be leaving.

That's interesting. It says on Facebook that he is a FORMER CD on Princess and is a professional gambler. Wonder what the real story is?

Sue

That's interesting. It says on Facebook that he is a FORMER CD on Princess and is a professional gambler. Wonder what the real story is?

Sue

Sue:

I have the Patter from the May 12th cruise and he's listed as the C/D.

Day 1...Friday, May 23...Embarkation, San Francisco

Boarding today was a challenge as we were boarding with friends that were going on the BVE with us. The officer at the gangway would not allow us to board saying that the boarding was only for BVE people. This is not true as we can all board together. After arguing for a couple of minutes we were allowed to board. This time there was a photographers station set up in the terminal to take our photos. They were delivered to the MDR during lunch and since we were with BVE People there was no charge.

Lunch in the MDR is a relaxing way to star your cruise, 12-1:30 pm.

I went to one of the main bars to get some champaign glasses and after insisting that I couldn't wait for the room steward the gave me the glasses. Fun to relax on my Caribe balcony before sale-away.

Our friends disembarked at 3 pm and then it was time for the muster drill. Why are we required to be there for 45 minutes with most of the time just sitting.

The ship left on time and it was fun to sail under the GG Bridge. Very windy and cold.

I was at the aft bar with some other CC people and had ordered a drink and decided to go back to my cabin to get warmer clothing and realized that I didn't have my cruise card. I went back to bar and the bar tender claimed that he did not have my card. Will I have been to the pursers desk and in the morning they will issue me a new card. Never had this happen before.

There are 4 other people at our dinning room table, we have assigned dining and the service and food was great.

The main show, only at 9:30 pm was with comedian Carl Strong and it was OK.

The C/D is Paul Chandler-Burns from the UK. He sounds OK but he lost 5 points buy not being outside to greet people as they left the Princess Theatre.

We went up to Skywalker's but after a while the D/J had problems with his equipment so no more music in the disco.

Someone mentioned that they had talked to someone coming off the cruise and they mention that on there cruise it was warm weather.

The doors to the outside decks are secured as it is windy and the ship is slightly rocking.

Tomorrow is our first sea day and I will report more as I am able.

Thank you for posting your live review. Friends got off Star yesterday and I'm having lunch with her in a few minutes. She said they had beautiful weather everyday. Other friends boarded yesterday, so they are on the ship with you.

Day 2...Saturday, May 24...Sea Day

This was a relaxing day at sea.

This was the first time that I had a M & G in the Afternoon, 1 pm. There were a number of officers there including the C/D and the answered questions that people had. One officer mentioned that they DO read the comments that people leave at the end of the cruise. We went around the room and people mentioned there name, where they were from and how they picked there screen name. Our group numbered about 30 out of 36 people signed up and I requested a photographer to come at 1:30 pm who took several photos of our group. Perhaps there was a good turnout because I left a reminder flyer outside each persons stateroom, a first time to try that out. There were people still there when I left at 2:30 pm.

A snack in the I/C and afternoon tea was enjoyable.

Before dinner 2 people, a mother & daughter from San Francisco, who we had met on our December holiday cruise to Hawaii, came to our cabin so that I could help get some corks out of their wine bottles. We sampled some wine before our 5:30 pm assigned dinner. We have also met some other people from our holiday cruise. A pleasant surprise and a first for me.

The show tonight was a hypnotist which was good and funny. That was followed by the "Match Game" with married couples on stage, also funny.

Then it was off to the Explores Lounge for dancing which ended at 11:20 pm. Then it was time for disco at the Skywalkers which was hopping when we arrived and still going on when I left at 12 midnight.

Weather today has been windy and cold.

Looking forward to another sea day tomorrow and tomorrow is formal night.

Reporting from sea somewhere heading to Alaska.

Tom,

Glad you are having a great time.

On the sea days are they offering Zumba? I just read a review of the Caribbean Princess and they didn't have Zumba on the sailing that just returned on Friday.

Thanks, Jackie