Be Forewarned - Debarkation at Copenhagen's Ocean Quay Terminal

CI66774

See my map in post 21. It would be over a two mile walk through an industrial port area with uneven walking surfaces. It was just as bad at the old dock last year. Nothing will change until they make the access road two lanes. Check Danish viking's Wonderful Copenhagen thread for updates but I highly doubt there will be any changes or improvements this year :( :(

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by IECalCruiser

This should give people an idea of where the new pier is and what the area is like. C245 is the old Sundkaj pier location and C330 is the new oceankaj pier.

Copenhagen+Ports.jpg

\

I'll be on a RCCL ship that is supposed to leave from berth 245. I assume the ships return to the same berth they left from? Would I encounter this same problem at berth 245, or only at berth 330?

\

I'll be on a RCCL ship that is supposed to leave from berth 245. I assume the ships return to the same berth they left from? Would I encounter this same problem at berth 245, or only at berth 330?

We sailed out of c245 on the Emerald last year and the problem was just as bad. The same one lane road is used to access all of the ports. The only advantage to c245 is that you are in the bottleneck for a shorter time.

Last year there were two other cruise ships in port with the Emerald. The problems occurred yesterday with just the Royal and Celebrity Infinity in port. Don't know what it is like with only one ship in port. That was the case the last time the Royal was in port on May 12. Below is the link to the Copenhagen cruise port schedule. Ignore any ships docked at c177 or c190-c199 as they are at the Down Town port area.

http://www.cmport.com/ships-in-port/cruise-ships

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We sailed out of c245 on the Emerald last year and the problem was just as bad. The same one lane road is used to access all of the ports. The only advantage to c245 is that you are in the bottleneck for a shorter time.

Last year there were two other cruise ships in port with the Emerald. The problems occurred yesterday with just the Royal and Celebrity Infinity in port. Don't know what it is like with only one ship in port. That was the case the last time the Royal was in port on May 12. Below is the link to the Copenhagen cruise port schedule. Ignore any ships docked at c177 or c190-c199 as they are at the Down Town port area.

http://www.cmport.com/ships-in-port/cruise-ships

Thanks for the link. It appears RCCL may have given me incorrect information. The cruise port website shows Legend at C330. Unfortunately, it looks like there are 3 ships at C330 on debarkation day. I'm getting worried now, as our flight home is at 12:20 p.m.

Thanks for the link. It appears RCCL may have given me incorrect information. The cruise port website shows Legend at C330. Unfortunately, it looks like there are 3 ships at C330 on debarkation day. I'm getting worried now, as our flight home is at 12:20 p.m.
Don't know when the Legend is due to arrive. Princess ships arrive at 5:00. I think 12:20 should be safe.

For those of you planning to take the HOHO bus, how do you plan to drag your suitcases onboard? :confused: They aren't set up for that and are often packed to the gills with passengers and have no available extra seats and no luggage space.

I just plan on carrying the suitcase onto the bus but not going upstairs. Just stay on the first level. We can sit and hold onto the luggage between our legs as we are not going far. We will then drop the luggage at the hotel and return to our plan of visiting the city.

On the subject of the Royal's passengers disembarking at Copenhagen, can anyone aboard or having sailed on the previous voyage advise please

1. When does an early airport transfer become bookable with Princess? I think on previous cruises, such a transfer only becomes available during the cruise, if I remember correctly.

2. What is the timing of any such transfer, what time does it leave and what time is it expected at the airport?

Our cruise is due to finish at 0500 on Sunday 6 July and we have a flight booked at 1050hrs. There appears to be two other cruise ships due in but not until 0800hrs.

Thanks for any information

Rob

On the subject of the Royal's passengers disembarking at Copenhagen, can anyone aboard or having sailed on the previous voyage advise please

1. When does an early airport transfer become bookable with Princess? I think on previous cruises, such a transfer only becomes available during the cruise, if I remember correctly.

2. What is the timing of any such transfer, what time does it leave and what time is it expected at the airport?

Our cruise is due to finish at 0500 on Sunday 6 July and we have a flight booked at 1050hrs. There appears to be two other cruise ships due in but not until 0800hrs.

Thanks for any information

Rob

Princess with leave a transfer request in your cabin (or in your mailbox) about one week prior to the conclusion of the cruise. I'm not sure of the timing but with a 1050 am flight, I would book the earliest transfer possible.

Can´t see any problem here.

Take a walk of 0,5 miles and take puplic transport. Leaving every 30min and traveltime will be 1h from the far away Pier C330

You are in Europe! Take the advantage of safe, cheap, working and effective public transport!

av4oe6t2.png

Edited by EuropeCruiser80

I assume the public transport have to sit in the same queues as the taxis and other port traffic, plus in my particular case, I understand the public transport does not extend to pier 330 on Sundays

Unless someone has more up to date information

Rob

Take a walk of 0,5 miles and take puplic transport. Leaving every 30min and traveltime will be 1h from the far away Pier C330

You are in Europe! Take the advantage of safe, cheap, working and effective public transport!

av4oe6t2.png

You can walk the half mile to the bus stop - but the bus has to use the same one lane road to get out! I repeat - I would not even attempt a flight before noon based on the chaos we had 2 days ago!

av4oe6t2.png

WHAT!?!?! How can you NOT see a problem "here?" The "public transport" has to languish in the same ridiculous/horrendous two-mile long traffic jam. I saw the "public transit" - it wasn't going anywhere - just like everyone else. The only thing you may save is a little money and that is quickly eaten up by the incredibly high prices in Copenhagen.

Last year, the Emerald Princess arrived at 5:00am. Walk-offs were scheduled to start at 5:15am. The first Princess transfers to CPH started at 6:15 for flights before 9:30am. Our flight departed at 12:25pm and our bus left somewhere between 7:30am and 8:00 am.

WHAT!?!?! How can you NOT see a problem "here?" The "public transport" has to languish in the same ridiculous/horrendous two-mile long traffic jam. I saw the "public transit" - it wasn't going anywhere - just like everyone else. The only thing you may save is a little money and that is quickly eaten up by the incredibly high prices in Copenhagen.

Last year we did the same cruise and we took the train from the airport to the pier and from the pier to the airport at the end of the cruise, one carry on and two rolling bags, a fifteen minute walk to the train and we were at the airport in less than an hour. All of the train stations take euros and debit cards with the pin. easy. The directions for the train is in the Rick Steves book.

Edited by tgwabd

Last year we did the same cruise and we took the train from the airport to the pier and from the pier to the airport at the end of the cruise, one carry on and two rolling bags, a fifteen minute walk to the train and we were at the airport in less than an hour. All of the train stations take euros and debit cards with the pin. easy. The directions for the train is in the Rick Steves book.
You were docked at the Orientkaj last year. Most cruise ships this year will be docked at the Oceankaj which is much farther away from the train stop and locals have posted it is a 3.3km or 2 mile walk to the Metro stop.

You were docked at the Orientkaj last year. Most cruise ships this year will be docked at the Oceankaj which is much farther away from the train stop and locals have posted it is a 3.3km or 2 mile walk to the Metro stop.

We were docked at Nordhaven and it was an easy walk.

I saw people walking - huffing and puffing - pulling lots of big, big bags, etc. Not sure how far the train station was but it seemed like it would be longer than a 15 minute walk. Too much baggage (26-day cruise) for that (for me, at least). Short cruise and not much baggage - then that might be a different story.

I'll continue to research the various Copenhagen piers & to decide which is the best way for us to get into town for our post-cruise visit. Several years ago I think we were at the Langeline pier but now it's at Frihaven (Freeport). Rick Steves Northern European Cruise Ports book was written before the new terminal was completed & doesn't have much information on it.

I appreciate everyone who has shared their experiences and knowledge about the new pier. I'll continue to monitor sites like TripAdvisor where it's also being discussed. We arrive there in early May 2015 but doubt if the one lane bottleneck will be fixed by then. Maybe we'll just do like several years ago & disembark as late as possible to easily get a cab & to possibly avoid the chaos at the pier when going to our hotel in Christianshavn.

Edited by Astro Flyer

(I meant "disembarkation") Just left Royal's 26 transatlantic/Baltic trip. Had a great time overall (4 out of 5) but I have to warn others who may be leaving the ship at this port in the future. First, it took forever to get a taxi. Princess warned of limited taxis - but that wasn't the problem. There only is a one-land road going in and out of this particular warehouse port area and the backup was horrendous. It typically is about 350 Danish Kroner from the port to the airport but many people paid over 700 Kroners but it took 40 minutes of creeping along just to depart the port area. I negotiated a 450 Kroner fare (the meter was at 710 Kroners upon arrival at the airport) and the taxi driver agreed, just wanting me to exit his cab, I'm sure. The line of cars and taxis was so long. Just be forewarned that this is the current situation in Copenhagen for the Royal (and probably will be for the Regal). The access to the ship is inadequate and your taxi ride may end up costing you well over $100 unless you do what I did - tell the taxi driver what I was prepared to pay him.

We walked right across the street (next to the Unicef Bldg.) and caught the public bus for 24 kroner (about $4.50) pp. It took all of a half hour to get to the main train station (Central Station) across from Tivoli Gardens, but only a few minutes to get to the Norreport stop where you can catch the metro to the airport or other main areas of the city. The bus had a large, lowered platform at the middle door, and large storage areas on the floor, so putting luggage on board was easy. The people waiting for taxis were probably still in line when we checked into the Marriott near Tivoli.

From the Cruise Persinalizer for my cruise which arrives at Oceankaj (Ocean Key):

Port Address

Oceankaj (Ocean Key)

2100 Osterbro

Pier no: 330-334

Copenhagen, Denmark

Useful information for cruise passengers in Copenhagen

Here you find information on distances, transport to and from the port, taxi, tourist information and parking.

Distance to / from The City of Copenhagen:

From Oceankaj to Kongens Nytorv 7 km

Copenhagen Freeport to Kongens Nytorv 5 km

Langelinie to Kongens Nytorv 3 km

Nordre Toldbod to Kongens Nytorv 2 km

From Oceankaj to Tivoli 8 km

Copenhagen Freeport to Tivoli 6 km

Langelinie to Tivoli 4 km

Nordre Toldbod to Tivoli 3.5 km

Distance to / from Copenhagen Airport:

From Oceankaj to Copenhagen Airport 15.5 km

From Copenhagen Freeport to Copenhagen Airport 13.5 km

Langelinie to Copenhagen Airport 12 km

Nordre Toldbod to Copenhagen Airport 11 km

Taxi companies:

DAN Taxi tel: +45 70 25 25 25

Taxa 4x35 tel: +45 35 35 35 35

Price:

A trip from Oceankaj to Tivoli cost approx. DKK 200.00 – DKK 250.00 depending on time of the day.

A trip from Oceankaj to Copenhagen Airport cost apprx. DKK 450.00 – DKK550.00 depending on time of the day.

Getting from Copenhagen Airport to Copenhagen Freeport and Oceankaj by metro and train:

Take the Metro from Copenhagen Airport to Nørreport Station. Change to S-train A, B, C or E-line and take the train 2 stops to Nordhavn Station. From here there are 15 minutes walk to the Freeport. And 45 minutes walk to Oceankaj.

Getting from Copenhagen Freeport and Oceankaj to Copenhagen Airport by metro and train:

The Nearest S-train station is Nordhavn Station. It takes 15 minutes walk from Copenhagen Freeport and 45 minutes from Oceankaj. Take the S-train A, B, C or E-line only 2 stop to Nørreport Station. Change to the Metro, which will take you direct to terminal 3 in Copenhagen Airport.

Getting from Copenhagen Airport to Langelinie or Nordre Toldbod by metro and train:

Take the Metro from Copenhagen Airport to Nørreport Station. Change to S-train A, B, C or E-line and take the train 1 stop to Østerport Station. From here there are 15 minutes walk to Langelinie or to Nordre Toldbod.

Getting from Langelinie or Nordre Toldbod to Copenhagen Airport by metro and train:

The Nearest S-train station is Østerport Station. It takes 15 minutes walk from Langelinie or Nordre Toldbod. Take the S-train A, B, C or E-line only 1 stop to Nørreport Station. Change to the Metro, which will take you direct to terminal 3 in Copenhagen Airport.

Remember: Tickets must be bought at the station before entering train or metro using banknotes, not coins.

Edited by Astro Flyer