seats on train

LPYRCRUISER

I am ready to book the train from Termini to Venice after our cruise. Is there any advantage to booking seats in a particular area on the train? I thought I may have read somewhere, that sitting in the rear, your luggage will be next to you. I'm just a little nervous there could be some place to avoid. Thanks

I am ready to book the train from Termini to Venice after our cruise. Is there any advantage to booking seats in a particular area on the train? I thought I may have read somewhere, that sitting in the rear, your luggage will be next to you. I'm just a little nervous there could be some place to avoid. Thanks

I have not heard this and I sat toward the front of the car with my luggage in the small area for luggage all chained together with a lockable cord,and small carry on by me overhead. I had no problem. I was in first class not sure about second however.

When you book, you will also have to make a "reservation" for a seat. This will cost extra--not much, but it does. If you don't, you may end up sitting in someone elses seat and you will have to move....Regarding your luggage, it depends on how big the bags are. Sometimes, (I'm guessing not) you can put your bags overhead. Other times, if you have the space to yourself, you might be able to fit the luggage in your row....When we took the train, we had to put the luggage in the back b/c there was no room....The bags were locked, and chances are, everyone just wants to sit--I highly doubt you will have to worry....

When you book, you will also have to make a "reservation" for a seat. This will cost extra--not much, but it does. If you don't, you may end up sitting in someone elses seat and you will have to move.....

If the OP is taking one of the fast trains, and booking on the Trenitalia site, you will automatically be assigned a seat if you do not select one yourself. There is no extra charge for this.

If the OP is taking one of the fast trains, and booking on the Trenitalia site, you will automatically be assigned a seat if you do not select one yourself. There is no extra charge for this.

On the Trenitalia website, for the fast trains, there is a place (easy to miss) after selecting the class of service and fare, but BEFORE clicking for seats, where you can arrange to SELECT your own seats rather than being "assigned".

When we did this recently, the (tiny) boxes for get seat assigned or *select* seat was to the lower left of the fare/class information, and easy to miss.

We weren't sure which way was going to be "forward" or "backward", so instead of s

We chose business class, and the seats were the most comfortable we've ever had on a train. Nice.

The "thick bar" between the rows of seats in the diagram (where you select your seats) is the folding table between seats facing each other. That wasn't initially clear (at least, not to us).

And there was room for luggage between the backs of seats and the backs of the next row.

Another advantage of facing two different directions is that we could see if anyone seemed to be looking for the "wrong" luggage. However, that didn't seem to be a problem.

BEWARE OF ANYONE WHO TRIES TO "HELP" YOU WITH YOUR LUGGAGE at the station or getting on and off the train.

Fortunately, we had been warned about this...

GeezerCouple

If you ride in the front carriage you will get there sooner. On the other hand if you ride in the last carriage you get a longer ride and more for your money !

Luggage racks are provided at both ends of each carriage, and in some cars also midway along the car .

If you are lucky and select the right train you can get a 'super economy' first class ticket for around the same as a discount second class seat.

There is also baggage storage between the seats that are back to back as the seats are designed for luggage storage for carry-ons on the single seat side and standard luggage on the 2 seat side. With the high-speed trains having so few stops the luggage theft issues are minimal, but I still prefer to have all my luggage near my seat.

thanks... I couldn't find that info.. ... the train from rome to venice leaves from there and our hotel is right across from the pantheon....there is a promo for first class tickets for 88.. for our date in oct.. leaving from that station at 10 a.m.....so I need to figure how long it will take via taxi.. thanks again

thanks... I couldn't find that info.. ... the train from rome to venice leaves from there and our hotel is right across from the pantheon....there is a promo for first class tickets for 88.. for our date in oct.. leaving from that station at 10 a.m.....so I need to figure how long it will take via taxi.. thanks again

Considering that you're talking about taking the train from Tiburtina to Venice, I'm going to assume you're looking at Italo, as Trenitalia doesn't have its October trains for sale yet... You could look at travelling from Ostiense, which may be closer/more convenient for you (although I don't think you'd miss much by waiting until Trenitalia's trains are available for sale, in a few weeks).

Considering that you're talking about taking the train from Tiburtina to Venice, I'm going to assume you're looking at Italo, as Trenitalia doesn't have its October trains for sale yet... You could look at travelling from Ostiense, which may be closer/more convenient for you (although I don't think you'd miss much by waiting until Trenitalia's trains are available for sale, in a few weeks).

yes, italo... a promotional fare of 86 for first class...I sent the order thru for 5 tickets.. so let's see if I get a confirmation :)

i think trenitalia doesn't open for oct. res till june 10... at least that's what I put on my calendar

Just down the block from the Pantheon on Corso Vittorio Emanuele you can get the #492 bus right to Tiburtina (the end of the line) if you're okay with slow and cheap. Otherwise I think you'd be better with a taxi rather than the metro, it's just not a good option with luggage.

Bus 492: http://viaggiacon.atac.roma.it/?service=calcolapercorso&da=largo%20argentina&dac=roma&a=stazione%20tiburtina&aac=roma&data=25/5/2014&ora=23:55&mezzo=1&tipo=1#

Just down the block from the Pantheon on Corso Vittorio Emanuele you can get the #492 bus right to Tiburtina (the end of the line) if you're okay with slow and cheap. Otherwise I think you'd be better with a taxi rather than the metro, it's just not a good option with luggage.

Bus 492: http://viaggiacon.atac.roma.it/?service=calcolapercorso&da=largo%20argentina&dac=roma&a=stazione%20tiburtina&aac=roma&data=25/5/2014&ora=23:55&mezzo=1&tipo=1#

I think I'll do taxi with all our luggage ;)