Royal Disappointment on Explorer

[quote name=

Overall' date=' the cruise was fine but the "feel" was very different from Royal that we know and much closer to Norwegian in that most of the crew did their job competently but that's it. With a few notable exceptions (Clive at the Pool Bar, Kenger the washee-washee lady, and our wait staff in the MDR) the RCI feel of "I'm glad your here" was totally missing. That's very much a subjective thing but it definitely narrows the gap for me between RCI and NCL. I have always put RCI as first choice and this may no longer the case.

There were other little mosquito bite annoyances throughout the cruise but, as I said, we still had a good time. It just wasn't the RCI experience I have come to know and love so much.:(

and now........... Let the flames begin.[/quote]

No flaming here. I felt the exact same way about the Allure last month regarding "the feel." Lackluster crew - what happened to making you feel like they were really happy you were sailing with them. I am in VA Beach right now at the Springhill Suites and commented to my husband, RCL, should take a look at the staff here. Amazingly welcoming, friendly, etc. I, too, am a RCL fan as you can see I have two more booked with them. Hoping that they RCL will read their surveys regarding their issues.

I think incidents like this are bound to happen more frequently as cruiselines cut services to reduce costs. More cabins per steward obviously means less time spent cleaning each one.

On a recent RCI cruise, we found a drawer completely full of the previous passenger's clothes. I called Housekeeping and was told to take the (presumably dirty) clothes to Guest Services! I didn't care to handle someone else's soiled clothing, and frankly didn't consider it my job to gather up the laundry, find something to put it in, carry it down several floors, and then wait in line to explain why I had it! Especially when it meant our cabin steward hadn't even opened the drawer, much less cleaned it.

I called the Concierge, who I guess called the Housekeeping Supervisor. Within minutes someone else (not our steward) came to our door with gloves on his hands, removed the clothes, put them into a cloth bag, and then sprayed the drawer and wiped it out. No apologies...just acted like it happens all the time. From the sounds of these posts, I'm afraid it might!

No flaming here. I felt the exact same way about the Allure last month regarding "the feel." Lackluster crew - what happened to making you feel like they were really happy you were sailing with them. I am in VA Beach right now at the Springhill Suites and commented to my husband, RCL, should take a look at the staff here. Amazingly welcoming, friendly, etc. I, too, am a RCL fan as you can see I have two more booked with them. Hoping that they RCL will read their surveys regarding their issues.

Wow! We are thinking of going back on allure the end of July. I didn't think such a new ship would have these issues.

Hope your DIL is ok.....we did a Mediterranean cruise on Carnival Freedom in 8/2011 & I was bit by some kind of bug in Venice & ended up w/ West Nile. I had this rash all over my hands & arms that 2 doctors couldn't get rid of. After 3 months I tested positive for Lupus. My rheumatologist finally figured out that the West Nile triggered a dormant Lupus gene. 3 years later I'm still being treated for lupus that effects the skin. It was a crazy 6 months of trying to figure out what I had. Hope she is better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

Wow! We are thinking of going back on allure the end of July. I didn't think such a new ship would have these issues.

That's actually similar to how we felt last week. We loved the Allure but something was off.

The family and I got off Explorer on May 17th.This was the 3rd.time on the ship.This past time I found the service adaquate at best.Missing was the WOW of past cruises.The Windjammer has declined over the years.The food was not that great.MDR was where we at our meals.Our room also had big stains in the rug.Not what you would expect to see.We are sailing on her again in Sept.We shall see.

Quite apart from the bedding and rash issues, I find it very disturbing that so many others agree with me about something as intangible as "the feel of the ship".

I really am a HUGE Royal fan and usually either buy or have 3-5 other cabins with me on a cruise. If I can't sell the "Royal Welcome" attitude that has always distinguished RCI from NCL and Princess, there is no reason for me to prefer RCI for those trips.

I should note that, since everyone other than my wife and I were on their first RCI ship (indeed my son, DiL and baby were on their first ever) they thought all was fine. I'm actually glad that none of my usual crew was aboard this time.

Edited by JohnGaltny

Quite apart from the bedding and rash issues, I find it very disturbing that so many others agree with me about something as intangible as "the feel of the ship".

I really am a HUGE Royal fan and usually either buy or have 3-5 other cabins with me on a cruise. If I can't sell the "Royal Welcome" attitude that has always distinguished RCI from NCL and Princess, there is no reason for me to prefer RCI for those trips.

I should note that, since everyone other than my wife and I were on their first RCI ship (indeed my son, DiL and baby were on their first ever) they thought all was fine. I'm actually glad that none of my usual crew was aboard this time.

The couple we cruised with last month on the Allure also had the same impression. They also said that this was the first Royal cruise that their room attendant never stopped by to say hi, and by the end of the cruise, they still did not know who it was. Ours did welcome us and she was one of the few bright spots. Again otherwise the cruise, shows, etc., we really enjoyed....

The couple we cruised with last month on the Allure also had the same impression. They also said that this was the first Royal cruise that their room attendant never stopped by to say hi, and by the end of the cruise, they still did not know who it was. Ours did welcome us and she was one of the few bright spots. Again otherwise the cruise, shows, etc., we really enjoyed....

Strange. We were on Allure last week and received fabulous service, probably the best we've experienced on RCI. Thought it was a cut above the service we experienced the previous time on Oasis, which was more along the lines of what people are complaining of. I guess a lot depends on the particular service personnel you encounter over the course of the cruise. With the exception of a couple of surly drink waiters up on the pool deck everyone was great.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Bed bug check.

Before unpacking. Fill a large ziplock bag with Hot water.

Put under the covers for a half hour or so.

The heat will draw them out if they are there.

I was told to use a saucer of club soda, as they are drawn to carbon dioxide (ie: what their victims give off)

I was told to use a saucer of club soda, as they are drawn to carbon dioxide (ie: what their victims give off)

This. Bedbugs are attracted to heat and carbon dioxide. Additionally some people just seem to attract them. You can have two people sleeping in the same bed (where bedbug are actually found after the fact) and one person can have a hundred bites while the other person is untouched.

I was bitten multiple times while my husband was untouched in a hotel where we found live bedbugs in the bed after we woke up.

Unfortunately, it's not the ship but the cruise line itself. The cutbacks are really starting to show.:(

• 2 weeks later...

I remember in early spring reading about a problem Bermuda was having and this is what I found.US Consulate Advisory: ‘Contaminated Beaches’

March 31, 2014 | 90 Comments

[updated w/response from Tourism CEO] The U.S. Consulate in Bermuda has just issued a “Security Message” for U.S. Citizens entitled “contaminated beaches,” citing the “ongoing dumping of raw sewage off Bermuda’s south coast.”

The U.S. Consulate said, “Changing weather conditions – wind, swells, tides, and rain – can bring rapid degradation of water quality along the beaches, resulting in human bacteria levels from fecal contamination up to four times the acceptable U.S. standard.

“In 2013, as many as five of the beaches were described as ‘unfit for recreational use’ on different occasions based on water samples.

“According to the study, possible negative health effects for swimmers include gastroenteritis, ear infections, respiratory illnesses, and staph infections. In addition, as a general medical matter, persons exposed to sewage-contaminated water face increased risk of Hepatitis A, eye infections, and typhoid.”

The security message continued on to say that the “Government of Bermuda has announced that it plans to take measures to reduce or treat the outfall, but as of March 2014, the dumping continues unabated.”

..maybe this is cause of rash...

Edited by pepsicruiser

I remember in early spring reading about a problem Bermuda was having and this is what I found.US Consulate Advisory: ‘Contaminated Beaches’

March 31, 2014 | 90 Comments

[updated w/response from Tourism CEO] The U.S. Consulate in Bermuda has just issued a “Security Message” for U.S. Citizens entitled “contaminated beaches,” citing the “ongoing dumping of raw sewage off Bermuda’s south coast.”

The U.S. Consulate said, “Changing weather conditions – wind, swells, tides, and rain – can bring rapid degradation of water quality along the beaches, resulting in human bacteria levels from fecal contamination up to four times the acceptable U.S. standard.

“In 2013, as many as five of the beaches were described as ‘unfit for recreational use’ on different occasions based on water samples.

“According to the study, possible negative health effects for swimmers include gastroenteritis, ear infections, respiratory illnesses, and staph infections. In addition, as a general medical matter, persons exposed to sewage-contaminated water face increased risk of Hepatitis A, eye infections, and typhoid.”

The security message continued on to say that the “Government of Bermuda has announced that it plans to take measures to reduce or treat the outfall, but as of March 2014, the dumping continues unabated.”

..maybe this is cause of rash...

Good thought. Very good possibility.

UPDATE AND RESOLUTION:

On June 10 I received a call from a very nice gentleman named Fiaz who is either from Mr. Goldstein's office or Customer Relations at RCI.

We spoke for roughly 30 min and he apologized for the bloody sheets incident and agreed that this was unacceptable, most particularly the second time.

I actually found it encouraging that he was more concerned about my "intangibles" comments. He asked very specific questions (he had indeed done his homework) about service and where I saw understaffing as opposed to incompetence. As example, I repeated what I had written about our MDR wait staff, that they were very good but had run ragged trying to service their section.

As a lesson to others in these situations, Fiaz indicated that they took this letter seriously because "it obviously came from a businessman" AND because it complimented some crew even while conveying a negative experience. Use that (or not) as you wish.

Fiaz also indicated that the letter would be conveyed to the Explorer Hotel Manager as a "for action" memorandum. I have NO idea what actions can, or will, be taken but I take him at his word.

At the end he offered me a $300.00 credit toward the next cruise. I told him it was unnecessary but he insisted so I accepted and thanked him.

END OF STORY: I am encouraged that RCI responded within roughly ten days and am totally satisfied with their response. I was never leaving RCI anyway but this result has cemented that plan. Now I just hope they actually do something to reverse this trend for all of us.

Edited by JohnGaltny

I'm glad to see you received an appropriate response and I hope that it helps to improve the product. I've generally received very good to excellent service on RCI but have been a little disheartened to read your review and others related to the Vision of the Seas about recent service issues. Customer service onboard is definately something RCI has excelled at (in my perspective).

...END OF STORY: I am encouraged that RCI responded within roughly ten days and am totally satisfied with their response. I was never leaving RCI anyway but this result has cemented that plan. Now I just hope they actually do something to reverse this trend for all of us.

Thanks for reporting back. I am also encouraged at their response.:)

Excellent. Seems like they paid attention and I agree that their response was appropriate. As I mentioned before, a well written letter (which yours was!) should always get a response like this. Thanks for keeping us informed and I am glad that it was resolved in a timely and professional way.

enjoy that credit!

Excellent. Seems like they paid attention and I agree that their response was appropriate. As I mentioned before, a well written letter (which yours was!) should always get a response like this. Thanks for keeping us informed and I am glad that it was resolved in a timely and professional way.

enjoy that credit!

Agree with this 100%.

Thanks for coming back and letting those of us who were interested in the response know the outcome.

I'm glad to see you received an appropriate response and I hope that it helps to improve the product. I've generally received very good to excellent service on RCI but have been a little disheartened to read your review and others related to the Vision of the Seas about recent service issues. Customer service onboard is definately something RCI has excelled at (in my perspective).

I totally agree with you. It's what made this cruise so surprising and disappointing. As I said, the first timers thought it was all great.

enjoy that credit!

Agree with this 100%.

Thanks for coming back and letting those of us who were interested in the response know the outcome.

You're very welcome Wolf and Kruz.

Wolf, I have appreciated your support throughout this episode and, after my Open Letter" thread was closed, I knew I had to get this word out there somehow.

Edited by JohnGaltny

I love that he threw you a bone with saying they took it seriously because it came from a businessman :rolleyes: Even better that you actually seem to have believed it.

I'm glad they took it seriously, but I imagine the response would have been the same regardless of your imagined self-importance.