Accommodation Singapore

Hi we are going on a cruise that leaves from Singapore has anyone stayed at the royal Plaza on Scotts or Studio M Hotel, we are looking for somewhere close to cruise centre/site seeing? many thanks Pauline

:)

Marina Bay Sands.

Once you see it you will envy it and be desperate to stay there. Once you are there you may never want to leave and if you return to Singapore you must stay there as ever other hotel would be a major disappointment.

Hi we are going on a cruise that leaves from Singapore has anyone stayed at the royal Plaza on Scotts or Studio M Hotel, we are looking for somewhere close to cruise centre/site seeing? many thanks Pauline

:)

We stayed at the Royal Plaza on Scotts in Singapore about 4 years ago on the way back from UK, post cruise. Very good hotel in good location, coroner of Orchard Rd. Rooms and brekkie good, but not cheap, but then not much is in Singa !! I think we paid about $250 per night on special deal, it would not have been much more than that, I look for value and would not pay over $250 a night, anywhere in the world, call me a cheapskate. LOL. Also stayed at the York a couple of times, good, but a little further up the hill.

Above all..ENJOY !!

Edited by NSWP

Have to agree with Karateman on this one.

I would never have spent the money on such an expensive hotel but our son decided he would pay for it for us as a surprise.

It was amazing. It is up there as one of the best experiences for us. Swimming in that pool up in the clouds is an experience I will never forget.

If you can afford to push the budget....... Just do it:)

Have to agree with Karateman on this one.

I would never have spent the money on such an expensive hotel but our son decided he would pay for it for us as a surprise.

It was amazing. It is up there as one of the best experiences for us. Swimming in that pool up in the clouds is an experience I will never forget.

If you can afford to push the budget....... Just do it:)

Hi Lizzy, what agree with Karateman? LOL. There is always the Ibis or the YMCA in Singa.

I haven't stayed at either of those hotels but the key to enjoying Singapore is being near an MRT station as you can get most places by MRT, or MRT and bus. If you're going to be there for a few days get one of the MRT stored value cards, much easier than getting a separate ticket per trip. You can get them at the ticket office in every major station.

The Royal Plaza on Scotts is in a good location for both shopping in Orchard Rd, and easy access to a MRT.

Marina Bay Sands is an OK hotel, my husband has stayed there on business, and he didn't rate it highly compared with other similarly-priced hotels he has stayed at in Singapore. It does have the most gorgeous swimming pool up on the roof but, since the rooftop "SkyPark" (but not the pool) is open to all tourists you have to be prepared for being gawked at by all and sundry. The MRT station there is a sub-branch on one route and you have to change, after a stop or two, to get anywhere useful.

Singapore has become quite expensive in the past couple of years. I was there last year, and three years ago, and I noticed the difference. Even the locals are complaining. Still, it's always a lovely place to visit and there are heaps of interesting things to see and do.

People seem to recommend one of maybe three areas in Singapore - Orchard Road area, Marina area or Clarke Quay area. I have stayed in the first two areas different times I have been to Singapore. I like both though they are different and lately have been staying more at the Marina end of town. The MRT is easy but taxis are also very cheap (well the last time I was there they were) so it is easy to get around. I like the Mandarin Oriental a lot though it is not cheap, the Conrad behind it is good and also the Intercontinental though a bit further to walk and this one is closer to Bugis St. I have heard good things about Royal Plaza as well though I haven't stayed there. Many years ago we stayed at the Orchard Parade. It was pretty ordinary and a fair walk to Orchard Parade itself. Food is fabulous in Singapore and the food courts in any large shopping mall are great or for more atmosphere head to one of the food centres. If you have the time I recommend one of the (original) walking tours. They are small group and go to interesting places.

Wherever you choose to stay I am sure you will love Singapore. :)

Edited by Aussieflyer

Hi Lizzy, what agree with Karateman? LOL. There is always the Ibis or the YMCA in Singa.

I Always stay at the YMCA in Singapore, 1 Orchard Road. I like the convenient location on the bus route and MRT from the Airport, and reasonable price for B&B.

The YWCA is close by.

I haven't stayed at either of those hotels but the key to enjoying Singapore is being near an MRT station as you can get most places by MRT, or MRT and bus. If you're going to be there for a few days get one of the MRT stored value cards, much easier than getting a separate ticket per trip. You can get them at the ticket office in every major station.

The Royal Plaza on Scotts is in a good location for both shopping in Orchard Rd, and easy access to a MRT.

Marina Bay Sands is an OK hotel, my husband has stayed there on business, and he didn't rate it highly compared with other similarly-priced hotels he has stayed at in Singapore. It does have the most gorgeous swimming pool up on the roof but, since the rooftop "SkyPark" (but not the pool) is open to all tourists you have to be prepared for being gawked at by all and sundry. The MRT station there is a sub-branch on one route and you have to change, after a stop or two, to get anywhere useful.

Singapore has become quite expensive in the past couple of years. I was there last year, and three years ago, and I noticed the difference. Even the locals are complaining. Still, it's always a lovely place to visit and there are heaps of interesting things to see and do.

The hotel pool and skypark on the top levels are hotel guests only. Tourists are banned from this area period. The only area tourists can get to is an observation deck on the extreme side of the skypark blocked by a building and security guards.

The location is ideal close to the new cruise terminal and you have everything you need in the resort. Public transport is easily accessible and it is easy to walk the underground city tunnels that are air conditioned to anywhere you want to go.

I Always stay at the YMCA in Singapore, 1 Orchard Road. I like the convenient location on the bus route and MRT from the Airport, and reasonable price for B&B.

The YWCA is close by.

We have stayed at the YM too.

Air con, en suite, fridge, tele, linen changed every day.

True value for money, Would probably rate the same as a 3 star.

People seem to recommend one of maybe three areas in Singapore - Orchard Road area, Marina area or Clarke Quay area. I have stayed in the first two areas different times I have been to Singapore. I like both though they are different and lately have been staying more at the Marina end of town. The MRT is easy but taxis are also very cheap (well the last time I was there they were) so it is easy to get around. I like the Mandarin Oriental a lot though it is not cheap, the Conrad behind it is good and also the Intercontinental though a bit further to walk and this one is closer to Bugis St. I have heard good things about Royal Plaza as well though I haven't stayed there. Many years ago we stayed at the Orchard Parade. It was pretty ordinary and a fair qwalk to Orchard Parade itself. Food is fabulous in Singapore and the food courts in any large shopping mall are great or for more atmosphere head to one of the food centres. If you have the time I recommend one of the (original) walking tours. They are small group and go to interesting places.

Wherever you choose to stay I am sure you will love Singapore. :)

Betcha Bugis St aint anything like it used to be many years ago:D lots of blonde boys about with husky voices;)

We used to stay at an old place called the 7 Storeys Hotel around the corner. It is knocked down now but used to have one of those main dining rooms with round tables and white table cloths with silver cutlery and a ghost on every floor:eek:

Might just give Marina Bay a try next year and stay in the cheapest room available.

We have stayed at the YM too.

Air con, en suite, fridge, tele, linen changed every day.

True value for money, Would probably rate the same as a 3 star.

It also has a swimming pool on the roof, not as spectacular as the Marina Sands though. :)

For another cheaper option we have stayed at the V Hotel Lavender.

The V has an MRT station beneath the hotel with no changes needed to and from airport.

Smallish rooms but modern. The biggest plus is the MRT,down one escalator in airport get on the train then up another escalator to hotel reception :)

There are also food halls under the hotel one 24hrs.

Might just give Marina Bay a try next year and stay in the cheapest room available.

Don't expect the service in the hotel to be anything amazing. It's all about that pool top area. If you can, push that budget to a Club Room. We stayed in a Club Room( yes you can see we didn't pay for it!! ) and that includes priority checkin, free drinks for 2 hrs, afternoon tea, and breakfast. Drinking French champagne, overlooking that amazing scenery was a total " experience event" in our travels.

For another cheaper option we have stayed at the V Hotel Lavender.

The V has an MRT station beneath the hotel with no changes needed to and from airport.

Smallish rooms but modern. The biggest plus is the MRT,down one escalator in airport get on the train then up another escalator to hotel reception :)

There are also food halls under the hotel one 24hrs.

As this looked like a nice less expensive option, I checked out Trip Advisor, as one does.

The following comments made me laugh -

"The rooms are compact but at times we felt it is cramped. We wished the wash rooms were slightly bigger. The fat and bulkier lot will find it difficult inside the bath cubicle. The WiFi should be made free as most inmates are out most of the day and possibility of access of net only when they are back to hotel. Breakfast is lavish catering to Vegn and NV but items are repeated everyday. Overall very good stay."

BTW If you book direct via internet, wifi is free. :)

Don't overlook asking your TA for a quote .On 2 occasions now , our TA has booked us a room in Singapore cheaper than the quoted on line price.Both times we got upgraded from Standard to Superior, at a cheaper price which also included breakfast , which the on line price did not.

I think they have access to wholesale and airline rates .

The hotel pool and skypark on the top levels are hotel guests only. Tourists are banned from this area period. The only area tourists can get to is an observation deck on the extreme side of the skypark blocked by a building and security guards.

The location is ideal close to the new cruise terminal and you have everything you need in the resort. Public transport is easily accessible and it is easy to walk the underground city tunnels that are air conditioned to anywhere you want to go.

Perhaps they've changed it since I went up to the Skypark three years ago. I was able to walk along the whole length of the pool, above it and between the pool and the hot pools. I couldn't go down into the pool sunbathing area and the pool itself but that was the only restricted area then.

So how much is a standard room at the Marina Bay Sands ? Any Seniors discount ? LOL.

The cheapest room listed on the Marina Bay Sands website is SGD 339 with no cancellations or amendments permitted. The regular Best Available Rate is SGD 379.

Perhaps they've changed it since I went up to the Skypark three years ago. I was able to walk along the whole length of the pool, above it and between the pool and the hot pools. I couldn't go down into the pool sunbathing area and the pool itself but that was the only restricted area then.

It was open after the grand opening for a few months for PR and to generate interest. By 2012 when I was there before my cruise it was strictly off limits to the public.

The skypark is amazing and like paradise up there. The whole complex is really something to be in awe of. The whole city was in easy access and the new cruise terminal is close by.

Ah, that would explain it. I went up there within a year of it opening. Hubby stayed there, prior to my visit, on a business trip and wasn't over-impressed with the hotel itself. He thought the rooms weren't anything special compared with other hotels he's stayed at in Singapore, and I think he had some bad service on his stay.

The shopping mall is great but when I was there last year (September) there were huge sections of it where shops had closed down and new ones were setting up.

Because I usually travel to Singapore when hubby is travelling on business, I've stayed at some very good hotels: St Regis, Ritz-Carlton, Pan Pacific at Marina Square, Mandarin Oriental, Mandarin Orchard, Shangri-La, Conrad, and Raffles. Hubby has stayed at a few more as well.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

As this looked like a nice less expensive option, I checked out Trip Advisor, as one does.

The following comments made me laugh -

"The rooms are compact but at times we felt it is cramped. We wished the wash rooms were slightly bigger. The fat and bulkier lot will find it difficult inside the bath cubicle. The WiFi should be made free as most inmates are out most of the day and possibility of access of net only when they are back to hotel. Breakfast is lavish catering to Vegn and NV but items are repeated everyday. Overall very good stay."

BTW If you book direct via internet, wifi is free. :)

The showers then sound like the ones on Princess ships, the big guys (and gals !) soap the walls and spin around !) LOL.

The cheapest room listed on the Marina Bay Sands website is SGD 339 with no cancellations or amendments permitted. The regular Best Available Rate is SGD 379.

Cheers mate, I will save my pennies then.

Ah, that would explain it. I went up there within a year of it opening. Hubby stayed there, prior to my visit, on a business trip and wasn't over-impressed with the hotel itself. He thought the rooms weren't anything special compared with other hotels he's stayed at in Singapore, and I think he had some bad service on his stay.

The shopping mall is great but when I was there last year (September) there were huge sections of it where shops had closed down and new ones were setting up.

Because I usually travel to Singapore when hubby is travelling on business, I've stayed at some very good hotels: St Regis, Ritz-Carlton, Pan Pacific at Marina Square, Mandarin Oriental, Mandarin Orchard, Shangri-La, Conrad, and Raffles. Hubby has stayed at a few more as well.

I have stayed at St. Regis and it is a wonderful hotel. They had a Bentley as on of their hotel cars that delivered me to my cruise in 2009.

I cant complain about the room at Marina Bay. Obviously the rooms at St. Regis were much better and more luxurious, however the Marina Bay room was not small and was large. I had room 4450 in tower 2.

476678_10150633673034037_394870676_o.jpg

321959_10150534199164037_375989923_o.jpg

337936_10150533648194037_299888808_o.jpg

321763_10150533649364037_1525660757_o.jpg

Where as St. Regis was like this

132441_481162519036_4939936_o.jpg

133216_481162719036_5415226_o.jpg