Room service charge coming???????

bcnvcanada

More and more hotels are no longer even offering room service these days.

Hotels also typically do not include food in the fare and advertise complimentary room service. This was a difference between the hotel industry and cruise industry.

People often fly or stay in hotels out of necessity (not always of course, but a good portion may be business flying/hotel stays) and therefore the reduction of services or introduction of new revenue streams is more palatable, in my opinion.

A cruise ostensibly is a vacation. It is leisure. The cruise industry sells not just the destinations but a certain experience. At some point, and it is coming soon, the experience is going to cease being special or cease being an alternative to AI style resorts and simply be a la carte vacationing with very little included. It's not just HAL, and it is a shame in my opinion.

Most assuredly anyone stepping foot on a cruise ship, ANY cruise ship for ANY line, can afford a $3 charge for food delivery. That does not mean the charge is not odious or grating. This charge is not to compensate the service staff. HAL, nor any other line, cares if the room service staff get tipped. THEY DON'T CARE. Face it. That's the reality of it. They have found a way to chisel out some more revenue.

Let's say there are 200 room service orders per day. At $0....carry the decimal...multiple by 1.57....yep, $0 revenue for the cruise line. If they start charging $3 per delivery and 50% of people stop ordering...so $100 people...X3. Hey, that's an extra $300 per day straight into the profit column (since it is all labor) with likely reduced cost and waste coming out of the kitchen (variable).

That $3 is not buying any guest anything greater than they receive already under the current plan. So therefore it is pay more, get less. I find the charge offensive. I would be no more happy if it were $2, no more outraged if it were $5. It symbolizes corporate greed and the drive to maximize profits THIS QUARTER over building and maintaining a brand image to deliver a certain product. And while I fully understand that corporations must make a profit to stay in business and satisfy shareholders it seems like cruise lines are, to use an analogy, using cheaper and cheaper meat with more and more cheap filler gravy to mask it. I.E. cutting the basic experience down and filling with fluff

Yes Sail this is a sign of the times. It's called downloading.

Call it a hotel room or a pizza- at one time room service or delivery was built into the price of your room or pizza. Now the prices have remained the same and the delivery charge is being downloaded onto the consumer to keep the price of the room or pizza the same.

It's a schism in all facets of retail/service.

In my job we charge to fix your car, we charge you for alternative transportation-shuttle bus or loaner, we charge you to pick up and redeliver your car. We call it choice or transparency- while maintaining our hourly rate not decreasing it. Some people accept that and some see it as a devaluation of service from what they used to get for the same hourly rate.

To me it's shell game and very comparable to the cruise industry.

Interesting enough, some of the people on the Princess FB page are blaming the take over by the Holland America.

How's that for an about face? here's a sample posting on the FB page

"Since December 1st when Holland America started overseeing Princess Cruises we have seen many negative changes with Communication leading the pack. What I found interesting was this quote from a Carnival Spokesperson.

"This will be relatively invisible to the consumer since each brand will continue to operate under their respective brand names," Carnival spokesman Roger Frizzell says. "We hope these changes will help drive greater collaboration, coordination and communications in our goal to exceed our customer expectations."

We love Princess and all the Ship staff we have gotten to know over the years. What we would like to see is upper management changes for as you can see from this quote, its not getting done"

Right now you don't have to. It will always be a choice. If you don't want to pay it you don't have yo order room service. I can't understand why $3 is such a big deal. Don't hotels charge a delivery charge for room service?

$3 is not a big deal. It is the principle of the charge. Complimentary Room Service is part of the Signature of Excellence package that I pay for when I book a Holland America cruise. To make me pay for some service that I use and enjoy diminishes from that experience for which I have already paid.

I most willingly offer a gratuity to the Room Service Steward who arrives at my stateroom door with whatever goodies I have ordered. But, to institute a separate charge for Room Service when I have paid good money for this service to be part of the "Signature of Excellence" that I expect is not acceptable.

but the difference is the air lines do not nickel and dime the customers in business class as they have already paid the freight. I doubt that the cruise lines will take the same attitude towards those in suites on the ships. If they were smart, it would be an amenity to the suites.

Seriously, the MDR is not open in time for several port stops in Europe if you are doing a ship's tour/private tour. So, it's continental in the Lido or room service. If HAL does bring this out, then they had better expand their breakfast service. I don't mind paying for something because I want it but when the service is not offered elsewhere (ie. breakfast) then charging for it when they don't offer I elsewhere makes no sense.

and yes, we do tip for room service. I don't mind paying at all - but there has to be some reasonableness.

To me this seems like you are alluding to a class system like Norwegians's Haven and Cunard. I'd hate to see HAL go that route.........maybe it's inevitable.

To me this seems like you are alluding to a class system like Norwegians's Haven and Cunard. I'd hate to see HAL go that route.........maybe it's inevitable.

Agree. If that happens, it will be time to look at those cruise lines that are all inclusive.

$3 is not a big deal. It is the principle of the charge. Complimentary Room Service is part of the Signature of Excellence package that I pay for when I book a Holland America cruise. To make me pay for some service that I use and enjoy diminishes from that experience for which I have already paid.

I most willingly offer a gratuity to the Room Service Steward who arrives at my stateroom door with whatever goodies I have ordered. But, to institute a separate charge for Room Service when I have paid good money for this service to be part of the "Signature of Excellence" that I expect is not acceptable.

yes, this. Downloading certain costs while maintaining existing pricing. Devaluation.

no - no class system - I was just pointing out what the airlines do to that's all.

HAL does not have a class system IMO. The suites pay more and get a few things but mostly real estate. Other than that everyone goes to the same dining room, same shows, etc.

HAL is light on their amenities to the suites so why not offer this to them? it's no different than the free laundry? I don't think it makes it a class system :confused:

Agree. If that happens, it will be time to look at those cruise lines that are all inclusive.

and that to me seems to be where the rubber is hitting the road in the cruising industry. Kind of a wierd analogy.

The schism or break between the Norwegians/Cunards of the industry (transparency/class system) vs. more-all inclusive.

I guess it takes all kinds and we will see more cruise lines carving their niches along these lines.

It kind of makes me sad to think this with regards to HAL.

no - no class system - I was just pointing out what the airlines do to that's all.

HAL does not have a class system IMO. The suites pay more and get a few things but mostly real estate. Other than that everyone goes to the same dining room, same shows, etc.

HAL is light on their amenities to the suites so why not offer this to them? it's no different than the free laundry? I don't think it makes it a class system :confused:

And I think you have hit the nail on the head! HAL has a wonderful sweet spot of no class system with amenities.

No matter what cabin type you choose or I choose we are all equal on a basic level other than cabin size or real estate(yes minor perks that don't make a class system IMHO). It's one of the things that makes HAL special to me.

After that you either download the costs onto your customers ala Norwegian or institute a class system ala Cunard/Norwegian or go all in ala Regent.

I have no idea where HAL is going but for now I'm here because it works for me.

yes, this. Downloading certain costs while maintaining existing pricing. Devaluation.

We used to get a half gallon of ice cream; we used to get a pound of coffee; we used to have larger squares of toilet tissue. :D Yes, even the size of each square of bath tissue has shrunk. Products that used to be 16 ounces are now 12.5 ounces and the prices have steadily risen.

Why would we expect the cruise lines would exempt themselves from this new reality in the marketplace?

We can choose whether to buy the product or not.

I am NOT defending the practice but simply making an observation.

The shrinking of packaging really irks me as recipes written years ago for a pound of this or 2 cups of that now require buying more than one package in order to get enough ingredient for the recipe. :rolleyes:

Edited by sail7seas

If you don't mind me asking bluntly; how on Earth could you possibly know the tip someone does or does not hand to a room service staff? Your statement seems strongly certain and I don't understand how you could have such a definitive first hand proof. :confused:

Because I was standing right near the door. That said they probably slipped it to them without touching their hand :rolleyes:. I always enjoy that story. There was also a poster on this board that told us anyone that tipped was basically an idiot. She stayed in a Neptune several times. Thanks for calling me a liar though.

Edited by cruz chic

That is PRECISELY the response HAL was hoping to get; that it is not so offensive to put you off the brand and that you pay without further commotion about it. Princess thought similarly but seem to be getting a face full on it. Time will tell how it plays out.

Is it really a big deal? I pay THOUSANDS more for single supp. When I used to complain on cruise critic I would get told singles are cheap and don't spend so Hal has to make the $ back some way. Yeah right. I'd compare my bill next to any couple. My choice was to put on my big girl pants and go on a cruise or sit at home and sulk about it. Guess what I do.

Edited by cruz chic

We used to get a half gallon of ice cream; we used to get a pound of coffee; we used to have larger squares of toilet tissue. :D Yes, even the size of each square of bath tissue has shrunk. Products that used to be 16 ounces are now 12.5 ounces and the prices have steadily risen.

Why would we expect the cruise lines would exempt themselves from this new reality in the marketplace?

We can choose whether to buy the product or not.

I am NOT defending the practice but simply making an observation.

The shrinking of packaging really irks me as recipes written years ago for a pound of this or 2 cups of that now require buying more than one package in order to get enough ingredient for the recipe. :rolleyes:

Yes again Sail you are right. It's a shell game. It affects all service industries.

Do you up prices for a pound of coffee or do you keep existing prices and offer 3/4 of a pound of coffee?

A pound of coffee was $10 yesterday.

For new customers they say pound of coffee is $12.75. Great.

For your existing customers they say hey! it just went up $2.75

You say well you now have to pay for the picker of the beans and the donkey to deliver it down the mountain, and the factory to roast it although the cost of the pound of coffee is $10 you now need to ante up for the extra $2.75

Some people are ok with that math and some see it as a devaluation for the same price.

I'd be ok with HAL increasing prices to maintain certain levels and not devolve down that rock bottom pay for everything level. Where the sweet spot is I don't know? Everyone has a line or limit.

Edited by sammygoose

Things change. You can blame Hal for selling cabins for $400. You do have a choice. I remember the food Hal used to have on cruises in the 1980's. Completely different then now. Why get bent about something that hasn't happened?

and here is my micro economics 101 Ottawa Senators lesson minus the history.

The Ottawa Senators are our NHL hockey team. They started offering egg rolls during hockey games from our local legend restaurant Golden Palace.

They market them as two halves for $7.50....get the spin? Two halves....shell game. 2 freakin egg rolls for $3.25 each....Regardless of the we brought it to your seats and the same price applies if you went to the concession stand to get it yourself.

to me that's just the best shell game spin ever. Two half's. HA.

EDit: I guess if they charged the normal $2 per egg roll rate regardless my argument would be more accurate but two halves? Really?

Edited by sammygoose
additional information

Instead of charging for the food they c&p need to charge (heftily) the individuals who put their dirty dishes in the hallways, creating a dangerous and unsightly mess.

Now there is an idea:D. That said I don't see it often on Hal but see it a lot on Princess.

Things change. You can blame Hal for selling cabins for $400. You do have a choice. I remember the food Hal used to have on cruises in the 1980's. Completely different then now. Why get bent about something that hasn't happened?

Cruz Chic- I think it has everything to do about optics.

Service A used to be included. Now you want to down load that charge onto me where I feel I have already paid for it.

Tipping is another layer but I can see where you are downloading a charge people would get confused or mad.

Grey areas can get......... well grey.While I'd never deny a crewmemeber a tip I'd be resentful about paying extra for something I felt was a part of my cruise fare. Of course I'd tip them but let the cruise line know I wasn't happy.

Optics.

Instead of charging for the food they c&p need to charge (heftily) the individuals who put their dirty dishes in the hallways, creating a dangerous and unsightly mess.

Lool, nice diversion. Next up popcorn free for all!

Oooops we ran out.

Not if you have the popcorn delivered to the room. It may cost $3. I'd be willing to bet that if they did not let pax remove tips you would not see these incidental charges being discussed.

Edited by Laminator

Cruz Chic- I think it has everything to do about optics.

Service A used to be included. Now you want to down load that charge onto me where I feel I have already paid for it.

Tipping is another layer but I can see where you are downloading a charge people would get confused or mad.

Grey areas can get......... well grey.While I'd never deny a crewmemeber a tip I'd be resentful about paying extra for something I felt was a part of my cruise fare. Of course I'd tip them but let the cruise line know I wasn't happy.

Optics.

I get what you are saying but things change all the time. Either you have to embrace it or be crushed by small things. There are big changes coming with my job in the next couple of months. I hate the thought and I know it will be a disaster because we've been down this road before. My choice is to suck it up or quit. Since I need the money I'll be sucking it up. My employer hired me years ago and things have changed dramatically. That's life. I did not sign on for what it looks like now.

Not if you have the popcorn delivered to the room. It may cost $3. I'd be willing to bet that if they did not let pax remove tips you would not see these incidental charges being discussed.

Only if you sail on Princess it might happen. It has not happened on Hal.

I get what you are saying but things change all the time. Either you have to embrace it or be crushed by small things. There are big changes coming with my job in the next couple of months. I hate the thought and I know it will be a disaster because we've been down this road before. My choice is to suck it up or quit. Since I need the money I'll be sucking it up. My employer hired me years ago and things have changed dramatically. That's life. I did not sign on for what it looks like now.

Yuppers- you get it. Here's the change like it or lump it. However you want to spin it. Less for the same. The same for less.

That's life and a litre of gas today is $1.36 regardless of what I paid for it yesterday. That I don't like but I can accept. What can I do?

Edited by sammygoose
additional information

Because I was standing right near the door. That said they probably slipped it to them without touching their hand :rolleyes:. I always enjoy that story. There was also a poster on this board that told us anyone that tipped was basically an idiot. She stayed in a Neptune several times. Thanks for calling me a liar though.

I asked how you knew something, I didn't call you a liar anywhere at any time. Big difference. You obviously do not find these charges offensive. Others do and we are discussing pending changes. I stand by my statement that your response is precisely the response the cruise lines are hoping for.

These emails I get for cruise prices are so cheap,it's probably cheaper to go on a cruise than stay home. Only speaking for inside cabins,I've received emails this week for 7 day Alaska for $399 7 day Canada/New England $399

There's a Celebrity Bermuda cruise in June for $399 for a week.Then in July it goes up to a whopping $599

With these rock bottom prices,I guess they have to get money from somewhere. I highly doubt charging $3 for room service is going to have them making boat loads of money. People will work around this,they'll simply bring their cooler on wheels and wheel it down to the lido and fill it with food. Problem solved.

$399 for a 7 day cruise then people want to bring their own wine and pay NO corkage,and then want 5 star service. Downright laughable.

Make these cruises I mentioned $999. Have a crew member meet me at the gangway and show me to my cabin,have more waiters on staff,better shows,more activities, and stop the runaway train from driving through the front doors of Walmart. If there's any money left we can send the maitre d in for an operation give him his backbone back,and he can shoo away the tracksuit wearers on formal nights.