You Paid and Princess Listened

cruzsnooze

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Well I can understand the price increase for laundry and drinks. It's still less expensive to do your own wash than to send it out and I don't know of any other cruise line that offers that service. I see a price increase of our favorite wine at home so I'm not surprised of the increase on board. However I can't believe they get $40 a day for a glorified lounge chair in the sanctuary. I think people book it just because it's in limited supply and owning the real estate makes them feel special. I usually sit in the free area across from the sanctuary and often it's empty on a sea day even though the attendant claims its sold out. My guess is that it's purchased by the passengers who want an all inclusive fare regardless of whether they use the service or not.

Re your comments about "The Sanctuary" I think it was introduced because demand called for it as people wanted to reserve deck chairs.

A brief history of the Princess ships. On the Grand class where "The Sanctuary" exists used to be a tennis court and jogging track.

Around 2004 onwards with the Arrival of Caribbean Princess and the subsequent arrivals of Crown, Emerald and Ruby Princess, Princess slapped an extra deck on top called "Riviera Deck" turning a ship frame originally designed for 2,600 passengers into a ship that could hold 3,200 to 3,500. That meant the later ships were overcrowded, particularly in the tropics when people wanted deck chairs. As a result they came up with "The Sanctuary" to cope with the crowds and give people what they want and make money off it. That is my thoughts on it anyway. I have personally sailed on these larger ships and I can tell you what compared to the original Grand class these new ones are crowded monstrosities.

As I said earlier I see no need for "The Sanctuary" so I simply do not use it and pay no attention to it.

For many years Princess has been a favourite cruise line of mine. It is one of my cruise lines of choice, it fits in with my style and the passenger mix are my type.

If Princess goes down the track of charging for extras and reducing what was once included then I foresee that I will have no further business with them.

My recent cruise with them just this past March for 31 days on the Golden Princess around South America I found the whole cruise outstanding.

I love Princess just as it is. I would hate for them to become like Costa and operate a free for all cruise where people pick and choose the port of embarkation and disembarkation and ruin the whole cruise experience.

Sounds good to me. Let the passenger choose the services they wish to pay for, rather than subsidizing my idea of a "great cruise".

Would you mind if they charge for the shows? How about the Movies? I never use the pool so should they charge those that use the pools? What about the hot tubs, I don't use those either. The pay for what you use just doesn't always seem to be the answer. What about if someone opted out of the MDR to use the buffet only? Should that be discounted fare? Should everything be pay as you go? Where do you draw the line. I prefer a "mostly" inclusive cruise at a fair price. I would prefer to up the fare a few dollars and not pay for room service which I seldom if ever use but like knowing it's a option.

Re your comments about "The Sanctuary" I think it was introduced because demand called for it as people wanted to reserve deck chairs.

A brief history of the Princess ships. On the Grand class where "The Sanctuary" exists used to be a tennis court and jogging track.

Around 2004 onwards with the Arrival of Caribbean Princess and the subsequent arrivals of Crown, Emerald and Ruby Princess, Princess slapped an extra deck on top called "Riviera Deck" turning a ship frame originally designed for 2,600 passengers into a ship that could hold 3,200 to 3,500. That meant the later ships were overcrowded, particularly in the tropics when people wanted deck chairs. As a result they came up with "The Sanctuary" to cope with the crowds and give people what they want and make money off it.

3,500 passengers on a ship and 40 can have "what they want" by paying $30 more a day. That leaves 3,460 passengers who cannot have what they want.

I love Princess just as it is. I would hate for them to become like Costa and operate a free for all cruise where people pick and choose the port of embarkation and disembarkation and ruin the whole cruise experience.
I wouldn't mind a free cruise where I could choose the port of embarkation and disembarkation.

Would you mind if they charge for the shows? How about the Movies? I never use the pool so should they charge those that use the pools? What about the hot tubs, I don't use those either. The pay for what you use just doesn't always seem to be the answer. What about if someone opted out of the MDR to use the buffet only? Should that be discounted fare? Should everything be pay as you go? Where do you draw the line. I prefer a "mostly" inclusive cruise at a fair price. I would prefer to up the fare a few dollars and not pay for room service which I seldom if ever use but like knowing it's a option.

Actually I wouldn't mine if they charged for the production shows & movies, provided they kept the cruise price down. We've see all the shows numerous times so we wouldn't be missing a thing. Maybe they would have the incentive to introduce new shows more often if people would stop going.

The last cruise we were on most of the movies had long been out on DVD.

Let the people who utilize all these thing pay for them.

Actually I wouldn't mine if they charged for the production shows & movies, provided they kept the cruise price down. We've see all the shows numerous times so we wouldn't be missing a thing. Maybe they would have the incentive to introduce new shows more often if people would stop going.

The last cruise we were on most of the movies had long been out on DVD.

Let the people who utilize all these thing pay for them.

Fortunately your views are in the minority and I am happy Princess will never become like that. Many of the hard core Princess fans would agree with me here.

Fortunately your views are in the minority and I am happy Princess will never become like that. Many of the hard core Princess fans would agree with me here.

Don't they say never say never?

I would hate for them to become like Costa and operate a free for all cruise where people pick and choose the port of embarkation and disembarkation and ruin the whole cruise experience.

I am not familiar with how Costa works but Princess is allowing choice of embarkation with the same disembarkation. It is becoming increasingly difficult to find the cabin you want on some cruises. The one we are taking this year can be booked as 11+14, 11+17, 25 or 28 day. Princess decides (who knows how) which cabins to make available for the 11, 14, 17, 25, and 28 day.

The cruise we have booked on the Regal for next year is just as bad - maybe worse. It can be booked 23 day Berlin to NY, 19 day St. Petersburg to NY, Copenhagen to NY 26 day or Copenhagen to NY 15 day or Copenhagen to NY 11+15 day. Again, there are only certain cabins available for the different cruises. Even making a cabin selection as soon as bookings open does not offer the opportunity to get the cabin or even category you want.

Try searching for a midship inside cabin on Emerald deck and see how far you have to go to find availability. They are ALL available but can only be booked if you go back to the 11 day 8/31/15 roundtrip Copenhagen cruise. We have booked the 23 day, boarding in Berlin on 9/3/15 (just 3 days later) and can't book one of those cabins. It's a MESS! and I hate that they have started doing this.

Edited by SeaTheWorldBySea

I am not familiar with how Costa works but Princess is allowing choice of embarkation with the same disembarkation. It is becoming increasingly difficult to find the cabin you want on some cruises. The one we are taking this year can be booked as 11+14, 11+17, 25 or 28 day. Princess decides (who knows how) which cabins to make available for the 11, 14, 17, 25, and 28 day...

I'm wondering if they are using some sort of algorithm to maximize revenue? The airlines and sports/concert ticketsellers do a similar thing. If so, a cabin that may be blocked out initially for just the 11-day portion, but available for the 25-day, may suddenly open up down the road as available for the 11-day if unsold as sailing date draws closer.

I tend to be particular about cabin location, so I understand your frustration!

I'm wondering if they are using some sort of algorithm to maximize revenue? The airlines and sports/concert ticket sellers do a similar thing. If so, a cabin that may be blocked out initially for just the 11-day portion, but available for the 25-day, may suddenly open up down the road as available for the 11-day if unsold as sailing date draws closer.

When Princess markets multiple segments as a single cruise, they have to reserve some cabins for that single cruise so that the passenger does not have to change cabins in mid-cruise.

Obviously some people booking single segments might want a cabin that has been reserved for a booking on the longer cruise.

A good TA can work with Princess to trade unbooked cabins between the two types of bookings so that the single segment cruiser can get the cabin desired and yet Princess still has an equivalent cabin available for the multi-segment cruise.

...A good TA can work with Princess to trade unbooked cabins between the two types of bookings so that the single segment cruiser can get the cabin desired and yet Princess still has an equivalent cabin available for the multi-segment cruise.

Good to know, thanks!

Sometimes the best marketing is actually listening to your customers. Some marketing professor taught me that a few decades ago.

That's sure true. My brother was in the pharmaceutical and medical supply business. He said something like you really only needed to get the opinions of five doctors to know what to do.

I'm wondering if they are using some sort of algorithm to maximize revenue? The airlines and sports/concert ticketsellers do a similar thing. If so, a cabin that may be blocked out initially for just the 11-day portion, but available for the 25-day, may suddenly open up down the road as available for the 11-day if unsold as sailing date draws closer.

I tend to be particular about cabin location, so I understand your frustration!

I wonder how Princess maximizes revenues on the segment between Fort Lauderdale and Houston when most people will have gotten on or off in Fort Lauderdale. We do this on our TA on the Emerald this October and again next April.

Not to say that the production shows aren't good but they're getting monotonous for cruisers who go often. Just how often can a person sit through the same show year after year if you cruise 4-8 times yearly on the same cruise line? Can you say you still enjoy Piano Man, It's a swell party, etc. just as you did the 5 th.or 10 th. time you saw it? Doubtful. Give me ala a carte pricing any day if it means keeping my cruise price low.

With all of the new ships coming to market this will be the only way to attract business- by keeping the sale price as low as possible & having people spend once aboard.

Not to say that the production shows aren't good but they're getting monotonous for cruisers who go often. Just how often can a person sit through the same show year after year if you cruise 4-8 times yearly on the same cruise line? Can you say you still enjoy Piano Man, It's a swell party, etc. just as you did the 5 th.or 10 th. time you saw it? Doubtful. Give me ala a carte pricing any day if it means keeping my cruise price low.

With all of the new ships coming to market this will be the only way to attract business- by keeping the sale price as low as possible & having people spend once aboard.

My feelings are about 180 degrees opposite this. We don't tire of the production shows (I've never complained about a production show), and if we don't want to see them one night, it's our choice. It's not a Princess shortfall they are the same shows we saw last cruise or last year. The OTHER entertainment however, only occasionally offers something that really appeals. I could say that what you're looking for is a land vacation. Instead I'll more kindly say that a proliferation of usage-based pricing would definitely have us cruising elsewhere, leaving Princess to you and other like-minded passengers.

My feelings are about 180 degrees opposite this. We don't tire of the production shows (I've never complained about a production show), and if we don't want to see them one night, it's our choice. It's not a Princess shortfall they are the same shows we saw last cruise or last year. The OTHER entertainment however, only occasionally offers something that really appeals. I could say that what you're looking for is a land vacation. Instead I'll more kindly say that a proliferation of usage-based pricing would definitely have us cruising elsewhere, leaving Princess to you and other like-minded passengers.

I think there is a definite difference between the clientele that want rock bottom prices and the clientele that want more inclusive. There used to be a middle class and above who cruised now they are getting people who can barely afford the vacation. I see Princess as a middle class cruise line and above when you consider the longer and world cruises. I hope they keep their current system but if they start charging for everything I'm done with them.

I think there is a definite difference between the clientele that want rock bottom prices and the clientele that want more inclusive. There used to be a middle class and above who cruised now they are getting people who can barely afford the vacation. I see Princess as a middle class cruise line and above when you consider the longer and world cruises. I hope they keep their current system but if they start charging for everything I'm done with them.

Do you really have to start the "class" discussion again? Anyone who is on a cruise with us is good enough to be on a cruise with us. I do not judge a person by how much they can afford to pay nor on what type of cabin they are in.

I wonder how Princess maximizes revenues on the segment between Fort Lauderdale and Houston when most people will have gotten on or off in Fort Lauderdale. We do this on our TA on the Emerald this October and again next April.

billco - we are on this cruise with you and going on to Houston. There can be no passengers board in Ft. Lauderdale so we will sale 1/2 full or so from there to Houston.

A good TA can work with Princess to trade unbooked cabins between the two types of bookings so that the single segment cruiser can get the cabin desired and yet Princess still has an equivalent cabin available for the multi-segment cruise.

We use a TA that has won awards with Princess and other lines each year for being a top seller - for the past lots of years. They told her no. When I called to complain about losing a cabin this year when we changed from b2b 11+14 to the single cruise 28 day and did not change cabin category, they would have let me have it back, but it was already gone for the 14 day. I should have called immediately when they told her no but delayed a couple of days. I won't delay again. She said they used to let her do what you are saying but they are giving her a difficult time now. One other of her clients called herself and Princess relented. Maybe this is one of those cases where 32 cruises and more booked is appreciated as a loyal customer.

The issue is not just booking b2b or as a single cruise - it's all the different ways they are marketing cruises with overlapping dates. Our cruise on the Regal next year is a good example of this.

Princess would like to cater to those few who can afford to cruise over half the year and want an all inclusive, but they are wise enough to see that the average guy, who can take two 10 to 30 day cruises per year, are what fill the ships.

And here is a common misconception.

The average cruisers is not one who can do two 10-30 days cruises per year.

The average cruiser takes one 7 to 10 day cruise every 3 to 4 years, might even be 5 now. If I recall correctly it was 3.7 years for Princess back in 2009.

While the average CC cruiser is probably more frequent than most, they still make up a very small part of the overall cruising population.

Princess would like to cater to those few who can afford to cruise over half the year and want an all inclusive, but they are wise enough to see that the average guy, who can take two 10 to 30 day cruises per year, are what fill the ships.

I was thinking the same thing as there will be considerably fewer people on the 3 day cruise:). At least we won't have to get up at the crack of dawn to stand in line to reserve a chair in the Sanctuary.....:):):)

Bob

And here is a common misconception.

The average cruisers is not one who can do two 10-30 days cruises per year.

Thank you, and what a skill you have. These are the exact words that came from my lips when I read the above. We like to think that we are the norm, when, in fact, the norm is far different. We are ALL very fortunate.