Cost per hour for cruise.

This is way to much figuring for me, but on a simpler note, divide the days into the cruise cost, much simpler way of figuring you daily cost. At anyrate, when we decide to cruise, if we couldn't afford to go what it cost per hour/day wouldn't make much differance really.

I care.

I'm a number cruncher too, and it love figuring stuff like this out.

Once the summer is done, I'll be comparing the per day cost of my family's week long driving trip around the eastern U.S. with the Enchantment cruise we booked during the kids sail free event.

It'll be interesting to see which one wins.

Plus, if you know the per day cost, you are more likely to know if a cruise you are considering is a deal or not. Now, the per hour cost? That's just getting wild and crazy...who-hoo...number cruncher PAR-TAY time! :D

nothing is a deal, the cruise line doesnt lose money...vacation is vacation..if you have to figure it out per hour, it aint worth going

they could lose money actually on a person who got a great last min deal and didnt drink or spend money on board. eating 4 times a day ect.

so if you had a great vacation and it wasnt a deal, would you be upset?

Exactly! How do you quantify the value of an experience? SO if it comes out to more than $12 (arbitrary number) an hour it's not worth it no matter what it is?

I wanted to just find out the cost per hour for my cruise in February 2015 for two people.

The cruise cost $3564.00 which includes gratuities and trip insurance with a balcony. 14 day cruise out of Sydney is 336 hours. That makes this cost $10.60 per hour.

The airfare from WA to Sydney is $3520.00 with luggage and one meal each way. Flying time is 34 hours. That makes this cost $103.33 per hour.

Hotel in Sydney for two nights is $249.00 with no food. 42 hours with nothing else. That makes this cost 5.92 per hour.

What is the best deal per hour?

Instead of doing an even spread of cost per hour, you might want to load it up on a certain hour; like your hotel cost on the hour after you check out, or the cruise cost an hour before you embark.....much cheaper that way and makes the whole vacation much more enjoyable........

Don't forget to consider the cost of lost opportunity in these financial gymnastics. Instead of cruising you could be working at Walmart earning money and putting it in a high flying stock that could quadruple over the next 10 years. Now your cost just went way way up. Yikes.

Bottom line to me. Who cares.

The cruise cost $3564.00 which includes gratuities and trip insurance with a balcony. 14 day cruise out of Sydney is 336 hours. That makes this cost $10.60 per hour.

The airfare from WA to Sydney is $3520.00 with luggage and one meal each way. Flying time is 34 hours. That makes this cost $103.33 per hour.

Hotel in Sydney for two nights is $249.00 with no food. 42 hours with nothing else. That makes this cost 5.92 per hour.

You're comparing the cost of a cruise to the cost of air travel and the cost of a hotel stay. Apples and oranges, so it's impossible to say which is the "best deal." It would make more sense to break down the cost of a couple of different cruises and compare one cruise to another if you're truly trying to compare value.

I can see doing a quick analysis of a 'price per day' of a cruise for comparison purposes in comparing cruise options....that is about it.

As far as a cruise being expensive....I believe it offers great value for the dollar spent. From nighttime entertainment to included food options, it is hard to get a better value. I can walk onto a ship and spend very little extra $ (for budgeting, I can prepay lots of things from excursions to extra specialty dinners) or spend very little (on excursions and specialty dining) and still have a great time.

I can see several places without the headache of packing and unpacking, or I can have the ship to myself when others leave to go ashore. The vacation I want is at my fingertips....fun, sun, excitement, enjoyment, entertainment coupled with no cooking, cleaning, worrying for a few days.....its a good buy for the buck(s).

It's the most expensive vacation I've done. I don't think the value is there for the dollar spent. I personally wouldn't do it again but for family that really wants to go. The included food that you mentioned is not good in my opinion, but as you mentioned it's included which means I've paid for it. Since it's a boat I don't have the option of going elsewhere.

On land I can rent a condo or vacation home for a fraction of the cost of a ship and spread out instead of shoehorn into an expensive shoebox. On land the schedule is my own and we can go where the mood strikes us and toss the schedule to the wind, the condo won't leave without us. You aren't in any place long enough on a cruise to truly "see" the place it's more show up and be herded about. If you want to see a place, go there for a week or two, you will start to get a taste of the flavor.

These things weren't really the point of my original post my thought was "why break it down to hourly?" Is a total price hard to work with? Why not by minute? Just to do the math? For me the exercise just isn't helpful. I can look at the total and compare that to an alternate total without slicing it up into random fractions. Why complicate it?

It's the most expensive vacation I've done. I don't think the value is there for the dollar spent. I personally wouldn't do it again but for family that really wants to go. The included food that you mentioned is not good in my opinion, but as you mentioned it's included which means I've paid for it. Since it's a boat I don't have the option of going elsewhere.

On land I can rent a condo or vacation home for a fraction of the cost of a ship and spread out instead of shoehorn into an expensive shoebox. On land the schedule is my own and we can go where the mood strikes us and toss the schedule to the wind, the condo won't leave without us. You aren't in any place long enough on a cruise to truly "see" the place it's more show up and be herded about. If you want to see a place, go there for a week or two, you will start to get a taste of the flavor.

These things weren't really the point of my original post my thought was "why break it down to hourly?" Is a total price hard to work with? Why not by minute? Just to do the math? For me the exercise just isn't helpful. I can look at the total and compare that to an alternate total without slicing it up into random fractions. Why complicate it?

A cruise vacation is not for everyone, and from what you have written not something right for you.....at least you tried it and decided as much.

Food/dining is a very subjective matter and it may not be to your liking.....and if you can't find what is satisfactory, it wouldn't make sense to do it again.....As far as where the ship goes, you know exactly where it is going when you book it....and we have visited places several times on various ships and gone on different types of excursions to see more and more of the locale. Again, it isn't for everyone. It won't fit into everyones, ideal way to spend vacation time....the universe has lots of options for people.

What I do agree with you on, is WHY slice up the monetary issue into a more complicated process.....I can tell if a 10 day cruise is better priced than a 7 day cruise easily ---- I don't need to have to get out my slide rule or super duper scientific calculator (LOL).

I wanted to just find out the cost per hour for my cruise in February 2015 for two people.

Maybe staying home is the best deal.

How come you're only looking at the cost side of the value equasion without considering the benefits? We take a vacation to relax, have fun and maybe experience a once-in-a-lifetime memory. Like the mastercard commercial...priceless! How can you put a cost on that?

This is what I like about this site. Some times it just has to put something different hear that people never write about. You always see things about the food being bad, chair hogs, kids being bad, crew is bad and the drinks are all to high priced. I was an accountant for more the 40 years so that is why I like numbers. I have a spred sheet with the cost is going to be for my trips and it works great for me. Sorry if this is not your thing.

That's OK. As a math lover I enjoyed the effort you put into this.

Too granular of a breakdown for my tastes. I just take total cost (fare, taxes, port fees, gratuities, trip insurance, to/from port, port parking if applicable) divide by number of people, divide by number of days = cost per person, per day.

That gives me a simple to use number for comparison that I can round off or round up and down to the nearest $0 or $5. Looking at the pennies per hour would make me nuts.

so if you had a great vacation and it wasnt a deal, would you be upset?

Oh, not at all. We've already started "Operation Snorkel", where we're practicing for our snorkel trip on a cruise later this summer, so the utility has already started. That is priceless, so to answer your question, I wouldn't be upset at all.

But, I will record the intangible by debiting Goodwill and crediting my cruise cost expense. I'll then amortize it out over the days of the cruise. (KIDDING!! :D)

You're calculating the per hour cost of a cruise? :rolleyes:

You must be a load of laughs in the MDR. :eek:

I can see if I'm really bored maybe calculating per day costs of various trips. Per hour....not so much. Life is too short my friend. :)

Why is everybody here so damn judgementall? If dude wants to break down his vacation to the amount of breathes he takes, how does that really concern you? Of course there are some opinions on here I dont agree with or don't really get but that doesn't mean they are wrong and I need to call them out. I used to really enjoy reading on cc but its turning into a bunch of grumpy dbags who think their opinion is more important than everybody else.