Thank you Princess

whatcruiseisnext

We have been planning a family vacation cruise to Alaska since March of 2013. We decided on a date, booked the cabins and started to plan what we were going to do once there. Our wonderful travel agent had gotten us several reductions in cost from the time we first booked until final payment was due. However, one of the promotions also had a non-refundable deposit associated with it. We tossed the pros and cons around for letting the bookings go to one of "those" promotions. We ended up saying...."What the heck...everyone is going anyway." But as you know, one of our daughters was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and is undergoing treatment which will prevent her and her husband from traveling on this cruise with the rest of the family. We knew the deposit was non-refundable and were fine with that. At the suggestion of our wonderful travel agent, we wrote a letter to Princess Customer Relations detailing why we cancelled one of the bookings and the circumstances surrounding it. We never really expected a reply to the email let alone any kind of refund. We fully understand that non-refundable means non-refundable. BUT....today we received a lovely phone call from Princess Customer Relations Dept. Firstly...best wishes, prayers and positive thoughts were offered up for our daughter. Secondly....they are refunding the entire amount of deposit that we paid for the cancelled reservation back to our credit card. I was taken aback. Hubby said....."Good Karma" which happens to be one of his favorite phrases. We are and will continue to be loyal to Princess Cruises.

:DAs a side note.....we will also plan another family cruise when everyone can go.

Very best wishes for your daughters speedy recovery and well done to Princess.

I have just had to cancel our family cruise in July after being diagnosed with cancer of the ovaries myself a few weeks ago. We too had booked with an agent and have forfeited just over a thousand pounds which is about 20% of the Cruise fare. So well done to your agent for suggesting you contact Princess.

We hope to be able to cruise next year. All the best Juliax

We have been planning a family vacation cruise to Alaska since March of 2013. We decided on a date, booked the cabins and started to plan what we were going to do once there. Our wonderful travel agent had gotten us several reductions in cost from the time we first booked until final payment was due. However, one of the promotions also had a non-refundable deposit associated with it. We tossed the pros and cons around for letting the bookings go to one of "those" promotions. We ended up saying...."What the heck...everyone is going anyway." But as you know, one of our daughters was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and is undergoing treatment which will prevent her and her husband from traveling on this cruise with the rest of the family. We knew the deposit was non-refundable and were fine with that. At the suggestion of our wonderful travel agent, we wrote a letter to Princess Customer Relations detailing why we cancelled one of the bookings and the circumstances surrounding it. We never really expected a reply to the email let alone any kind of refund. We fully understand that non-refundable means non-refundable. BUT....today we received a lovely phone call from Princess Customer Relations Dept. Firstly...best wishes, prayers and positive thoughts were offered up for our daughter. Secondly....they are refunding the entire amount of deposit that we paid for the cancelled reservation back to our credit card. I was taken aback. Hubby said....."Good Karma" which happens to be one of his favorite phrases. We are and will continue to be loyal to Princess Cruises.

:DAs a side note.....we will also plan another family cruise when everyone can go.

Awww - I just got goosebumps reading this. That is wonderful that they gave you the full refund and had such compassion for what you are going through. I pray that your daughter recovers soon and can go on that much anticipated cruise.

May the road to your daughter's recovery be swift and easy. Looking forward to something like a cruise will certainly help, I'm sure.

Princess, you did good!! Thank you for caring!

I wish the OP's daughter a speedy and complete recovery. I'm also glad to see Princess 'has a heart'.

However, (at the risk of being roasted alive) what am I missing here?... every other post I've seen where someone can't make a cruise and loses their deposit, has been met with the reply -

"That's what insurance is for."

I'll be praying for your daughter and your family. As a breast cancer survivor it is always uplifting to hear stories like your own. YEA for Princess! I do hope you enjoy your Alaskan cruise and hope your daughter and family will be able to join you on your next cruise.

Sending positive thoughts to you and your daughter. Thank you for posting this. So many post about bad customer service so it is great to see your post. It's so nice to see Princess made an exception to their non-refundable deposit given the circumstances.

It is always wonderful to hear that corporations can have a heart. I have been living with advanced breast cancer for almost three years and have cruised 2x since diagnosis and have a cruise booked for 2015. Wishing your daughter an easy time with treatment and few side effects. There is a lot of hope for bc these days.

However, (at the risk of being roasted alive) what am I missing here?... every other post I've seen where someone can't make a cruise and loses their deposit, has been met with the reply -

I suspect that the fact that all the others in the family will still be on the cruise is a factor. If all the bookings were being cancelled, I am sure there would have been $0 refund.

I wish the OP's daughter a speedy and complete recovery. I'm also glad to see Princess 'has a heart'.

Two big differences:

1. The refund Princess granted was only for the deposit, and only two persons, not the entire cruise booking;

2. It appears that the cancellation was requested before final payment was due--thus insurance (or the lack thereof) does not come into play here.

You are correct that Princess--and Cruise Critic members on this board--should show no sympathy to those who do not engage insurance but expect an exception be made for them when cancelling after final payment. But that is not the case here.

Edited by fishywood

Thank you all for your kinds wishes for our daughter. She does have an aggressive form of breast cancer but is undergoing chemo prior to having a double mastectomy. After the mastectomy she will receive one chemo drug, Herceptin, for an entire year for her type of HER2+ breast cancer. She is upbeat and has tons of support. I have passed on all your good wishes to her.

I made the original post to pass on that Princess DOES do nice things. There are so many negative posts on CC that positive ones are usually a joy to read. Most of you saw that as evidenced by your replies. There has been so much negativity regarding Princess with the "trial" changes that were implemented and then taken away on the Regal.

Not that it matters BUT since it was brought up.......when we booked the cruise we purchased travel insurance for myself and hubby right away so that we would be covered for pre-existing conditions. The rest of the family are in their 30's and one grandchild. They did not need insurance for pre-existing conditions. It was our intention to purchase travel insurance at the time of final payment. We UNDERSTAND travel insurance. We do not travel without it. That isn't what this post was about.

I suspect that the fact that all the others in the family will still be on the cruise is a factor. If all the bookings were being cancelled, I am sure there would have been $0 refund.

Why not let it be for the positive that Princess did instead of dissecting their gesture apart?

Edited by whatcruiseisnext