Are Cruise Loyalty Programmes bringing you back...?

As a general discussion , whether it be Celebrity's "Captains Club" or Royal's "Crown and Anchor Society", Princess's "Captain's Circle" or HAL "Mariner Society" etc etc... To what extent do their reward programmes entice you to return to the same cruise line again and again...

For me, Princess is my "nice fit". I find myself tethered to Princess, but like to keep trying other cruise line's ships (my motto - "if you don't do it, you wouldn't have done it" :) - and "one must dip one's toes in the pool of indulgence now and then":)) as to keep trying new things, and avoid getting board with the same pattern (if that's possible on a cruise ship). But my elastic tether always pulls me back to Princess every other cruise.

Obviously if you like a cruise line or ship, you would want to go back, or it might be familiarity, or a product you know you'll like. But I must admit that "add another cruise credit to my membership and keep climbing the ladder" is always at the back of my mind when thinking of other cruise lines. They are obviously designed to entice you back when thinking of cruising again, and seem to work very well. I know the bulk of the Princess passengers on board when I've sailed, are very loyal repeating cruisers, and like their tier status.

Do you find working your way up the loyalty ladder and getting that next tier and benefits entices you back?

I am not loyal but if I did reach any tier worth anything I think it would be with RCCL because they have some great deals in Australia.

With Carnival AU and Carnival USA the tiers are not worth much and Princess i think are a little bit pricey for me at present so my P&O points wouldnt go far on them:)

I could see myself going up in RCCL C&A in the future if they stay in Australia:)

We pick our cruises on itinerary and timing, then price and loyalty will play a part in the decision. I suppose we look at our favourite line/s first and then see who else offers the same things.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

It's something in the back of my mind.

It's not as big as influence as where they were developed for though. Because they are saturated in the US, it can be a deciding factor between choices that are otherwise similar.

Whereas here, the different lines tend to do their own thing, so Princess aren't covering the same ground as RCL for example, P&O don't have any benefits anyway, and HAL also works pretty separately. Here, they're mostly also not year round, which also reduces their opportunities to compete.

I confess to being a Princess "princess" and enjoy the perks of my little black card...however I cruise for destination, so have enjoyed HAL, Ncl,V2a, Celebrity, Rcl and recently Azamara...like them all. However Princess its my fit too it suits me in the absence of other factors it will be Princess.

Sue

I confess to being a Princess "princess" and enjoy the perks of my little black card...however I cruise for destination, so have enjoyed HAL, Ncl,V2a, Celebrity, Rcl and recently Azamara...like them all. However Princess its my fit too it suits me in the absence of other factors it will be Princess.

Sue

If all things are equal I would go X as I have highest status with them and then Princess but these cruise lines do not go to all the places I want so everyone will get a gig if they offer what I want to do. :D

If all things are equal I would go X as I have highest status with them and then Princess but these cruise lines do not go to all the places I want so everyone will get a gig if they offer what I want to do. :D

I just got off Azamara....lots to love there, hubby enjoyed free drinks, double upgrade ie balcony for inside price at the moment which makes them very affordable. Interesting itineraries too.

Sue

I've stayed Loyal to Royal as so far the itineraries have been where I have wanted to go. I have had a brilliant trip each time so haven't looked at others.

Now that I am Diamnd Plus, I travel in a cheap room but have access to the Concierge Lounge with 3 1/2 hours of drinks a day (I don't drink that much but it is a wonderful place), good discounts, many priorities. As well as many other fantastic benifts.

It has also made me Elite on X and Azamara. When I cannot get the itinerary I want I will definitey travel with other lines.

Raina

We tend to stay with Princess having been Elite with them since 2008, however last year and this year also cruised with Celebrity and P&O UK.

But sure, we do like the Princess perks, in particular the laundry as we do long cruises. But the Princess cruise style and package does appeal to us, middle of the road.

I just got off Azamara....lots to love there, hubby enjoyed free drinks, double upgrade ie balcony for inside price at the moment which makes them very affordable. Interesting itineraries too.

Sue

Double upgrades sound good.:D

We tend to stay with Princess having been Elite with them since 2008, however last year and this year also cruised with Celebrity and P&O UK.

I was looking at the new P&O Britannia as a possible cruise mid next year while in Britain visiting family. And I must confess again, being able to count the cruise towards my Captains circle membership was big plus (I know it shouldn't, but it was!!! :D)....

Yes, we are Loyal to Royal. Free drinks, woohoo!!!!

BUT, now Princess is coming to Melbourne, Close to Elite. We're booked.

8 Royal cruises booked.

3 Princess cruises booked:)

Edited by Aussie FF

Loyalty schemes mean nothing to me. If a cruise line had a particular ship that I did not like then no loyalty scheme would ever get me to sail on the ships I do not like.

Example - I am elite with Princess, however I foresee the day where I will not sail with that line ever again the moment the ships I like are no longer in the fleet. Unless Princess is going to go retro and build the size ships I like then after the next ten years I wont have any dealings with the company.

P&O - Again another company that had great ships and a great world cruise program. I am the very top loyalty tier with them and for the last few years the company has been going backwards. They have got new builds based on the Princess design I do not like and in the last few years their itineraries have been becoming laughable and a massive joke.

Celebrity - I am only a new cruiser with them after only one cruise last year. They are building bigger ships than the largest Princess ships with less passengers. I am a nobody on their cruise line due to my little cruising with them. I suspect if Celebrity maintains their product as is then they may be getting my business in the future.

Interesting question.

I think for us it would be timing & cost, then itinerary. We struggle to get time off, so when we do, it will be on a ship that we can afford & the ports will be what they will be! I love sea days, so ports are neither here nor there for me. Hubs likes a poke about on shore, but we still sleep in, late breaky & hit ports around 11ish. None of this "don't waste valuable port time" attitude for us!! :p we don't like wasting valuable ship time! Ha ha!

Our next cruise will not be this leisurely:( as we have booked tours!

Absolutely! Princess loyalists here. Her ships have been our "home away from home" since the first Princess arrived in Australia (Feb 2008).

Soon we'll be enjoying one of the big sisters :D

Favorite perks - mini bar, free laundry, preferred boarding and tendering.

Not a perk, but the $100 FCC letters you purchase onboard are a great deposit plus give you extra OBC's. It's always good to have a few of these on hand.

Edited by Kinkacruiser

Absolutely! Princess loyalists here. Her ships have been our "home away from home" since the first Princess arrived in Australia (Feb 2008).

Soon we'll be enjoying one of the big sisters :D

Favorite perks - mini bar, free laundry, preferred boarding and tendering.

Not a perk, but the $100 FCC letters you purchase onboard are a great deposit plus give you extra OBC's. It's always good to have a few of these on hand.

I do like the Princess FCCs, they are so much more useful and also refundable.:D

No, it is all about the destinations for me.

I look to be excited, and it is hard work, with mass market lines, even when I have purchased future credits, or have a senior's discount, etc.

Now, with land travel, the world is my oyster! :)

It's a secondary thing for me; where , when and price come first. It is a benefit and all things being equal it will have me pick one cruise over another. ( We are diamond on RCCL.) It isn't until you reach the high status though that it makes much of a difference. I like cruising in general so those benefits are nice, especially the free and discounted laundry perks, but they dont do enough until you've sailed 10+ times to matter. Though now that we are Diamond on RCCL I find myself looking at those ( and Celebrity since we get equal perks) more often. But my next cruise is still Carnival since what I wanted (where and when) were only met by Carnival.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

I like Princess and their perks are nice. However, I have been sampling other cruise lines of late. Celebrity, PO UK, RCL and soon Carnival. Price and itinerary can be the main deciders for me.

Definitely RCI. Both the Concierge Lounge and the Diamond Lounge are a huge bonus. We used to cruise Princess but their loyalty program is not as good.

Looking forward to Regent in December - more expensive but its all inclusive.

Cheers

Di

Definitely RCI. Both the Concierge Lounge and the Diamond Lounge are a huge bonus. We used to cruise Princess but their loyalty program is not as good.

Looking forward to Regent in December - more expensive but its all inclusive.

Cheers

Di

Di once you reach elite with princess then the benefits are very good

Loyalty programs are great and if similar price and itinerary they could persuade me to choose one over another, but at the end of the day I would pick a cruise line for the value they are offering and what one offers the better product for the price they are asking :)