Ultimate Balcony Dining Question

Ken_W

I'd be interested to hear about people's experiences with Ultimate Balcony Dining. What are the mechanics on how it works -- food delivered in courses, menu selections, etc.? How is it priced and, more importantly, did you feel that the experience was worth it?

Also, if anyone has tried the Chef's Table I'd like to hear about your experiences. Thanks in advance!

(Thinking of doing the balcony dnining for one of the formal nights, as we're not planning on bringing formal wear this time around.)

We've done it twice. Very enjoyable experience and worth the money. You need to call dining services as soon as you board and book. Then someone from the room service area will call, make arrangements to come to your room and go over the menu and details. They are also flexible with the menu, DH has seafood allergies so they allowed a substitution on the crab cakes. We'll do it again someday. Great way to bypass formal night. You can also go to the Crown Grill or Sabatini's and not have to dress formal either.

There are many reviews of the chef's table (caveat, the Royal and Regal have a different and higher priced setup) - just search on chef's table.

Here's our food thread from the Island Princess which contains notes and link to photos - chef's table is towards the middle:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1555288

The balcony dining is very nice...lots of food. I prefer the food and service in the speciality restaurants. But the Chef's table is awesome. We did it when the price was a bit more reasonable, but would do it again for a special occasion cruise.

We loved the way they brought courses for the UBD. Before dinner begins, they

bring in a table and chairs, set the table with flowers, and a photographer comes to take several pictures, one of which is included in the price. Hors d'ouvres are served with your choice of a cocktail, and dinner comes with champagne. Everything is delicious, and the chocolate dessert is to die for. Even dh, who resisted doing this for several cruises because of the perceived cost, is sold. And if the weather isn't great, or you don't have a balcony, you can have it in your cabin.

We did the balcony dinner once, balcony breakfast 3 times, & Chef's Table all on the same cruise. We felt they were all worth it. Honestly, we weren't as impressed with the food at the CT as many people are. The other guests we shared the experience with was what made it most memorable. Without them, we wouldn't have thought the food & tour alone warranted the fee. We've had much better meals & weren't tempted to try for another night. The balcony dinner was served in courses, but our server was very chatty. He hung around most of the time ruining our plans for a romantic meal, but we enjoyed talking to him. I think he was homesick. He talked about his home a lot. ;) The balcony breakfast was all delivered at once, so we could take our time & enjoy the experience. We actually preferred that. We would have done the balcony dinner a few more times, if they would have allowed us to vary the menu. We were told no substitutions. They did allow my DH to vary the breakfast menu, so we partook of that a few times.

We used to do Chef's Table every chance we got, but they essentially rotate 3-4 menus on all the ships and when they raised the price, and got a little stingy on the wine pours, we opted out. (Not only that but every relative we have has gotten a cookbook and we still have a couple left over.)

We do recommend everyone try it at least once. It is an interesting experience, the food is typically fantastic, the service impeccable and who doesn't like getting treated special!

The UBD, IMHO, still remains a very good deal. Weather does play a key role. Aft balcony UBD's, if the sun is not too hot, still remains our favorite. No wind to deal with. In port UBDs are fantastic when you can get them. (Venice at night with a full moon!?! With friends! Can't get much better than that...) The itinerary also makes a big difference as sea state will also impact the UBD. For example we won't schedule a UBD for the first two nights to HI or the last two nights back from HI because of weather or potential sea states.

The food is good, but we really like the personalized service, the personalized pacing and the ability to chat with the servers on a more casual and unhurried basis. We've easily spent 3 hours in a UBD just savoring the moment.

One final note, our current Avatar was taken off our aft balcony during our 30th anniversary UBD, on our actual anniversary date, during a Med cruise. Its not a backdrop, its live. So you can imagine how it special that was...

We have booked a mini suite on Dolphin deck for our upcoming SA cruise. Would the fact that the balcony is uncovered, make any difference to the experience, subject to prevailing weather conditions?

Not at all as the open sky would be beautiful in the evening.

Mike:)

Not at all as the open sky would be beautiful in the evening.

I was wondering that if the ship was moving, even on a fine evening, it may be too windy as the balcony is exposed on those cabins or would it be best if it was done while the ship is still in port.

Thanks for help

I was wondering that if the ship was moving, even on a fine evening, it may be too windy as the balcony is exposed on those cabins or would it be best if it was done while the ship is still in port.

Thanks for help

I would say just your preference. We have moved the table back a bit from the railing; but a lot of that depends on the prevailing winds and the direction of the ship. If you happen to have a crosswind that evening it may be on the opposite side of the ship and be completely still on your side.

I would say just your preference. We have moved the table back a bit from the railing; but a lot of that depends on the prevailing winds and the direction of the ship. If you happen to have a crosswind that evening it may be on the opposite side of the ship and be completely still on your side.

Thanks for that. We will be doing this, and if the weather/wind are against us, our cabin should be big enough to comfortably allow it inside if anyway.

While we are at it - will probably do the breakfast too :D

Thanks for that. We will be doing this, and if the weather/wind are against us, our cabin should be big enough to comfortably allow it inside if anyway.

While we are at it - will probably do the breakfast too :D

Yes you can have it inside if it comes to that.

On the breakfast, be prepared it will easily feed four.

Yes you can have it inside if it comes to that.

On the breakfast, be prepared it will easily feed four.

Perhaps I'll just order breakfast for one then :D - or just not eat for the rest of the day :(

Hi, OP here. Thanks so much for the shared wisdom. I too am scheduled to be on Dolphin Deck and now have visions of dinner under stars.... we'll see!

The more I hear from all the CC members, the more I realize what a terrific set of decisions we'll have to make once we board!

We've enjoyed four UBD's and learned that it's possible to exchange the $32 half bottle of champagne for a $32 full bottle of wine. All were either in port or during sail away & all were great including the time inclement weather resulted in having it inside our standard balcony cabin.

For $50 more than dinner at the Crown Grill you get nearly $100 in extras (photo, cocktails, champagne/wine, flowers and specialty coffee drinks).

With our next cruises in inside cabins the UBD is not an option unless the upgrade fairy gives us a balcony so we can enjoy another UBD.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Minimum of two required

Yes you would look pretty goofy having the UBD alone.;)

Yes, but that is not to say you COULDN'T do it alone. If you wanted to pay $32 for UBB and eat it all yourself you certainly could! It would be an amazing accomplishment!:eek:

Yes, but that is not to say you COULDN'T do it alone. If you wanted to pay $32 for UBB and eat it all yourself you certainly could! It would be an amazing accomplishment!:eek:

We were referring to the UBD (Ultimate Balcony Dinner) not the UBB. And like Caribill stated

you must have at least two for the UBD.

Edited by bhopal21

We were referring to the UBD (Ultimate Balcony Dinner) not the UBB. And like Caribill stated

you must have at least two for the UBD.

Or to probably pay $100 for 1 person but that's just a guess having never read about someone with that experience.