A coffee card use question

luvtravel

I prepurchased a coffee card .. Like good coffee. My spouse drinks decaff occasionally, but needs to be the brewed stuff! Question...can he use my card to get a cup of brewed decaff? Or do I have to get it for him ?..or can I get it with the card at the same time I order mine? Will my name be on the card? I have not used one in a long time as last number of cruises were with a cruiseline that included specialty coffees as part of fare. Thanks for any info!

The official answer is that you should each have your own card but having used numerous coffee cards over the last few years we find that they are very accommodating so you will "get away" with a lot.

They have apparently flip flopped again on the hot chocolate though, it was a punch item then it was a free item (with a card) last June but most recently in April on Pacific Princess it was once again a punch item.

Doing a search "coffee card" could keep you reading answers to this question for the next couple of hours.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

The official answer is that you should each have your own card but having used numerous coffee cards over the last few years we find that they are very accommodating so you will "get away" with a lot.
Anything that's "unlimited" is technically for the person it's bought for, whether it's a coffee card or soda sticker. However, Princess looks the other way if you use it to get coffee for someone else. Be aware that at some point, Princess will crack down and people will scream, "We've always been able to do this." At the very least, the cost will go up to accommodate the people who use it for others. Just saying.

They have apparently flip flopped again on the hot chocolate though, it was a punch item then it was a free item (with a card) last June but most recently in April on Pacific Princess it was once again a punch item.

It is not a flip-flop as much as it being an inconsistency.

I have never found it included on the three (now two) Princess small ships. I have always found it included on the other ships.

how much is the coffee card and what can you get with it? Just coffee? Hot chocolate? Specialty coffee?

Is there not free coffee on the ship?

Plenty of free coffee thoughout the ship, in the dining room, restaurants and buffet. However, it's made from concentrate, not brewed. For most people, it's fine. You can pre-purchase a coffee card for $31, including 15% gratuity, for unlimited brewed coffee from the International Cafe/Lobby Bar/Patisserie (depending on the ship) and 15 punches for any specialty coffee. The brewed coffee is not available elsewhere. The punches can be used in any dining room or restaurant (plus the IC or Lobby Bar) for espresso or other specialty coffee. Scroll down for the details. http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/cellars_culinarydelights/princess_cellars/index.jsp

My personal observation is that if someone loves Starbucks coffee, the ship's coffee is not good enough for them. If you like Dunkin' Donuts, you'll probably be fine.

Edited by Pam in CA

Plenty of free coffee thoughout the ship, in the dining room, restaurants and buffet. However, it's made from concentrate, not brewed. For most people, it's fine. You can pre-purchase a coffee card for $31, including 15% gratuity, for unlimited brewed coffee from the International Cafe/Lobby Bar/Patisserie (depending on the ship) and 15 punches for any specialty coffee. The brewed coffee is not available elsewhere. The punches can be used in any dining room or restaurant (plus the IC or Lobby Bar) for espresso or other specialty coffee. Scroll down for the details. http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/cellars_culinarydelights/princess_cellars/index.jsp

My personal observation is that if someone loves Starbucks coffee, the ship's coffee is not good enough for them. If you like Dunkin' Donuts, you'll probably be fine.

Thank you we are thinking of booking the coral princess (will be our first princess cruise) So I am trying to learn find out everything!

Mine has no name on it

True, it does not have your personal name on it, but the staff is supposed to write the name of the ship and the date on the card. This is for getting "free" brewed coffee at the IC. You can do that only on your current voyage. The punch holes are for the various specialty coffees you "buy," and those cards can be used on another voyage if there are punches left. This would not affect whether you were using the card for two people or not.

How does one go about pre-purchasing a coffee card? Is there an advantage to pre-purchasing vs. purchasing at the International Café?

Since they don't offer brewed coffee with room service or in the dining rooms, I've been known to sprinkle some Starbucks Via Italian Roast in my cup to give it a bit more coffee essence! ;)

I never thought of a coffee card as being for just the person that purchased it since you use a punch to get coffee except for brewed. It's different than a soda card that is unlimited for the purchaser. We've always shared a coffee card and never saw so much as a raised eyebrow.

How does one go about pre-purchasing a coffee card? Is there an advantage to pre-purchasing vs. purchasing at the International Café?

No advantage to purchasing it in advance.

If you want to purchase it in advance, you need to fax in an order or just give Princess a phone call.

Edited by caribill

No advantage to purchasing it in advance.

If you want to purchase it in advance, you need to fax in an order or just give Princess a phone call.

I believe you save the service charge, is all. However, on board they often give you a travel mug if you buy one

I never thought of a coffee card as being for just the person that purchased it since you use a punch to get coffee except for brewed.
To be more clear, the brewed plain coffee is available in unlimited quantity for the cruise you purchased the card on, and does not use a card punch.

The punches are for lattes, mochas, espresso, etc. and can be used on any cruise. Because they are charged by the drink, there is no problem buying multiple lattes, etc at the same time: order 2 lattes, get two punches on the card..

It took us three cruises (31 days at sea) for us to use up the punches on one card, as most of the time we find the coffee onboard ship in other venues to be just fine. On the cruise where we purchased the card my DW got lattes (using punches), and I mostly got brewed coffee. On the second and third cruises the servers were quick to note the existing punches and original cruise date and made sure to remind us the card could only be used for specialty drinks (e.g. the aforementioned mochas and lattes for us).

I like both DD's and Starbuck's coffee...two different experiences...and I still can't stand the concentrate stuff they serve. The coffee card is well worth it to me.

And sometimes I go to DD's because I want to be able to order coffee in English, not some weird Starbuckese language...what the heck is a vente anyway? :)

I believe you save the service charge, is all. However, on board they often give you a travel mug if you buy one
I've never seen this - is it new? We've gotten travel container with soda cards before, but ...

Off the subject Curiosity Question for Wehwalt
: your signature says You are Elite with 14 cruises and 144 days at sea.

The requirement for Elite is "Complete 15 cruises or 150 cruise days with Princess and we are pleased to present you with Elite membership*.

How are you Elite? I would expect that to be the case AFTER your next cruise.

Edited by Times Prince
formAT

I've never seen this - is it new? We've gotten travel container with soda cards before, but ...

Off the subject Curiosity Question for Wehwalt
: your signature says You are Elite with 14 cruises and 144 days at sea.

The requirement for Elite is "Complete 15 cruises or 150 cruise days with Princess and we are pleased to present you with Elite membership*.

How are you Elite? I would expect that to be the case AFTER your next cruise.

I'm a solo traveler. I get 2 credits instead of 1 per the rules and qualified on 76 days (16 cruise credits).

Edited by Wehwalt

I prepurchased a coffee card .. Like good coffee. My spouse drinks decaff occasionally, but needs to be the brewed stuff! Question...can he use my card to get a cup of brewed decaff? Or do I have to get it for him ?..or can I get it with the card at the same time I order mine? Will my name be on the card? I have not used one in a long time as last number of cruises were with a cruiseline that included specialty coffees as part of fare. Thanks for any info!

Please please advise how you pre [purchased I have been into the web site and hunted under everything I could click but cannot find how to pre purchase extra (not tours or spa)

Please please advise how you pre [purchased I have been into the web site and hunted under everything I could click but cannot find how to pre purchase extra (not tours or spa)

its under wine in the gift section....

Scroll to the bottom....

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/cellars_culinarydelights/princess_cellars/index.jsp

Plenty of free coffee thoughout the ship, in the dining room, restaurants and buffet. However, it's made from concentrate, not brewed. For most people, it's fine.

Exception is Royal Princess, and I presume Regal Princess, the coffee is brewed and not from concentrate. I don't know if it is the same as the brewed coffee in the IC. Also, I do not know whether or not this will be implemented fleet wide.

Exception is Royal Princess, and I presume Regal Princess, the coffee is brewed and not from concentrate. I don't know if it is the same as the brewed coffee in the IC. Also, I do not know whether or not this will be implemented fleet wide.

As far as I saw, the Royal had the same dispensers for coffee as all other ships, brewed coffee was only at pastry shop, and IC.