A coffee card use question

luvtravel

And sometimes I go to DD's because I want to be able to order coffee in English, not some weird Starbuckese language...what the heck is a vente anyway? :)

Twenty ounces of coffee. Heard they were coming out with a trente as well - thirty ounces of coffee in one cup! That's bigger than a standard wine bottle... :eek:

As far as I saw, the Royal had the same dispensers for coffee as all other ships, brewed coffee was only at pastry shop, and IC.

On the Royall, free brewed coffee was also just outside the Princess Live theater and on the Horizon Terrace.

It's an official No-No to share a coffee card ... but we've seen people doing it.

LuLu

No problem sharing a card ,they will just put 2 punches

The confusion comes from the fact that Princess is selling a single card that serves a dual purpose. One purpose (specialty coffees) is fine to share. The second purpose (fresh brewed coffee) is not. At least technically. Look at it this way. Suppose I have a brand new, unpunched card and I go up to the barista at the IC and say: "I would like a specialty coffee, and then, I would like to treat the next 10 people in line to whatever they want. So go ahead and punch my card 11 times", the barista would have no problem with that. Sharing is good. :)

Alternatively, assume that I approach the barista with a valid card and say: "I would like a cup of fresh brewed coffee and I would like to treat the next 10 people in line to a cup as well." The barista would have a big problem with that. Sharing is not good. :(

I prepurchased a coffee card .. Like good coffee. My spouse drinks decaff occasionally, but needs to be the brewed stuff! Question...can he use my card to get a cup of brewed decaff? Or do I have to get it for him ?..or can I get it with the card at the same time I order mine? Will my name be on the card? I have not used one in a long time as last number of cruises were with a cruiseline that included specialty coffees as part of fare. Thanks for any info!

My husband and I just got home from a Southbound cruise on the Coral Princess and we both shared a coffee card. I bought the card onboard at the IC the first morning of the cruise and paid $29 + $4.35 added on for gratuity. My husband enjoys specialty coffee while I'm fine with just regular coffee most of the time. When the barista explained to me how the card worked he never said that it could only be used by one person. You are pre-paying for 15 coffees, (at a discount price) and one punch equals one coffee. He explained that by purchasing the card you also got the benefit of free hot chocolate and brewed coffee. There were some mornings when I got 2 specialty coffees and other mornings where I got one specialty and one brewed. Other times we might get a specialty coffee and a hot chocolate or even just two hot chocolates. We were never made to feel that we were taking advantage of the system and I certainly don't believe that we were.

I think I remember the one with the ground coffee hopper on the aft end outside the horizon court where that big patio area is.

That is the one I was pointing to when I asked if it was brewed or syrup (because it looks the most authentic) and was told by two crew members standing there that it was syrup.

Unlimited sharing of the limited portions of a drinking card is fine. Sharing unlimited portions of the unlimited portion of the drinking card would be unethical.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

My husband and I just got home from a Southbound cruise on the Coral Princess and we both shared a coffee card. I bought the card onboard at the IC the first morning of the cruise and paid $29 + $4.35 added on for gratuity. My husband enjoys specialty coffee while I'm fine with just regular coffee most of the time. When the barista explained to me how the card worked he never said that it could only be used by one person. You are pre-paying for 15 coffees, (at a discount price) and one punch equals one coffee. He explained that by purchasing the card you also got the benefit of free hot chocolate and brewed coffee. There were some mornings when I got 2 specialty coffees and other mornings where I got one specialty and one brewed. Other times we might get a specialty coffee and a hot chocolate or even just two hot chocolates. We were never made to feel that we were taking advantage of the system and I certainly don't believe that we were.

Don't feel bad. That's what a lot of people do & Princess goes along with it.Same think goes on with the unlimited soda card all the time....and probably the unlimited alcohol card as well.

So, we have an unused punch card from our cruise in Feb of 2010. I can take it out of my scrapbook and use it on our Dec 2015 cruise? That would be awesome!

Yes you certainly can. However with a card from a previous cruise, every brewed or specialty coffee will require a punch. There are some cases where the back is left blank allowing a card to be used on another cruise for free brewed coffee. Old style cards however will not have that ability.

Edited by beg3yrs

Yes you certainly can. However with a card from a previous cruise, every brewed or specialty coffee will require a punch. There are some cases where the back is left blank allowing a card to be used on another cruise for free brewed coffee. Old style cards however will not have that ability.

Pulled it out and back says "Congratulations on purchasing your Premium Coffee Card. Present this card when receiving your specialty coffee and your server will punch a hole into one of the crowns."

Who would of thought it would be usable once the cruise was over! It pays to hold on to some things:)

Pulled it out and back says "Congratulations on purchasing your Premium Coffee Card. Present this card when receiving your specialty coffee and your server will punch a hole into one of the crowns."

Who would of thought it would be usable once the cruise was over! It pays to hold on to some things:)

And a fully used card will be an even better souvenir for your scrapbook. :p

I am bummed out. A year ago on the Ocean Princess hot chocolate was available on the coffee card for no punches. It was great being a 50 day cruise. I don't drink coffee, and since we are elite we get a minibar setup that we exchange for sodas so I definitely don't want the unlimited and more package. It is hard enough drinking all the sodas. I wonder why Princess changed the packages. All the other items on the unlimited and more package are cold drinks while hot chocolate is, well, hot!

They usually take the fully used card when you do the last punch so I would discuss it with the barista before ordering that last latte

That was true with the old style card when the last punch used meant no more "free" fresh brewed.

Not true with the new style card where all the punches can have been used and you still get the "free" fresh brewed on the same cruise the card was purchased.