Taking pictures w/iPad a no-no????

BillPizzaiolo

All too often we've seen people in crowds taking photos with huge iPads. Holding them over head or in a position where someone could grab it and run. See :

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mikespohr/people-who-are-doing-the-worst-thing-possible-with-an-ipa?bftw=main

There are devices that do it so much better and safer for the operator.

All too often we've seen people in crowds taking photos with huge iPads. Holding them over head or in a position where someone could grab it and run. See :

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mikespohr/people-who-are-doing-the-worst-thing-possible-with-an-ipa?bftw=main

At this point, nearly everyone either has a point and shoot, a DSLR, or a perfectly capable cell phone. I can never understand why people would want to use their ipads for pictures. The new iPhones and Samsung phones take really great pictures if you set them to HDR and have a fairly steady hand. They also do really amazing panoramic which I find can capture the essence of "that amazing view" much better.

We use a Kindle Fire HX (similar in size to iPad) on cruises to take pictures - even though we have a small camera. If someone wants to be rude and stand in front of someone, a person with a camera can do that. As long as you are considerate of others, I see no reason why not to use a tablet to take photographs.

In terms of why use it? I find people onboard the ship with us are much more interested in seeing some pictures of the ports than people at home. Passengers take different excursions and see different things. The screens being larger are easy to see. When we get back to the ship we can send the photo via email quickly (although we send very few -- do not want to bore people:-)

The tablets are more bulky to carry but, for us, it works. We take photographs, read books, use the internet and play games. While you can do that on a phone, the screen is quite a bit smaller.

I find that taking pictures when in a crowd - I just get a picture of people taking pictures holding their phones/pads above their heads -and take forever in doing it, so rarely get the picture I'm after. :(

We use a Kindle Fire HX (similar in size to iPad) on cruises to take pictures - even though we have a small camera. If someone wants to be rude and stand in front of someone, a person with a camera can do that. As long as you are considerate of others, I see no reason why not to use a tablet to take photographs.

In terms of why use it? I find people onboard the ship with us are much more interested in seeing some pictures of the ports than people at home. Passengers take different excursions and see different things. The screens being larger are easy to see. When we get back to the ship we can send the photo via email quickly (although we send very few -- do not want to bore people:-)

The tablets are more bulky to carry but, for us, it works. We take photographs, read books, use the internet and play games. While you can do that on a phone, the screen is quite a bit smaller.

Don't get me wrong - I take my iPad along on all trips - perfect for reading, light surfing, etc. I just wouldn't want to carry it around in a busy port. But I see your point. I also bring my laptop, so I transfer photos to that which is how I "show them off" to others onboard. Just a simple transfer via bluetooth.... My DSLR is pretty old (if you call 7 years old) but it takes amazing pictures. What I DON'T like is it doesn't geo-tag the photos, which makes making albums a month or so later kind of difficult. I've been seriously looking at the Nokia Lumia 1020, unlocked (so I can use foreign sim cards to make calls) and it takes amazing photos and videos for a phone... I love my Galaxy S5 (waterproof!) but might get this just for travel. First world problems, right? :)

All that is fine until someone grabs your iPad/Kindle Fire and runs with it (with all the personal info you may have on it). I know I couldn't (and wouldn't) chase after them - could you?

This has happened to someone on our cruise in S. America (Buenos Aires, in particular).

Yes, they can grab your camera as well but it is a lot easier to do to the iPad held away from your body than to a camera strapped around your neck or wrist.

PS The number 1 theft in San Francisco by far are the smart phones. I am sure part of the reason is that people using them are distracted and they are not easy to hold on to (much the case with tablets)

Edited by Paulchili

I have been thinking/saying the same thing; on a visit last Sept.ember to The Hermitage in St Petersburg (off the Marina) a whole tour group (not from the ship) were standing in front of a painting ALL with their IPads aimed at, above and below the painting making it impossible for anyone to actually see the painting!!!

I have been thinking/saying the same thing; on a visit last Sept.ember to The Hermitage in St Petersburg (off the Marina) a whole tour group (not from the ship) were standing in front of a painting ALL with their IPads aimed at, above and below the painting making it impossible for anyone to actually see the painting!!!

Same experience... And in the exceptionally busy Moscow subways. And in the exceptionally busy Rio at Christ the Redeemer.... I just wonder when somebody is going to snatch that device and run! I personally would never whip out a tablet in a tourist hub. My DSLR (if I bring it) is strapped to my neck so they are going to bring me with it. My phone is on a strap to my wrist, same as point and shoot. Again - good luck making this exit! LOL

It's so easy to transfer files from a phone to a tablet or laptop once back on the ship or hotel... And the camera's optics are identical so there's really no gain there. I've never understood this, but again, that's just me....

It's so easy to transfer files from a phone to a tablet or laptop once back on the ship or hotel... And the camera's optics are identical so there's really no gain there. I've never understood this, but again, that's just me....

I agree with you, but for the same reason that you are taking the photographs, and not "himself" (it's an age thing) most older people seem to prefer the larger screens of an Ipad.

As far as courtesy is concerned, it isn't so bad if the person is simply going to point and click, but heaven help me when I get behind somebody who imagines themselves to be a latter day Vincente Minnelli.

Speaking of Mr. Minnelli, I HATE IT when people use Ipads as cameras in movie theaters or darkened auditoriums......:mad:

Truly, not everyone has a smart phone, some of us just have basic ones for making or receiving telephone calls in emergencies. My cell does take photos but they are terrible quality and I have no idea how to get them out of it anyway (no Internet).

Until kill switches are required for iPhones, iPads, etc. and the concept is widely understood by would-be thieves, I would be extra careful about holding up an iPad (photos or otherwise) in clear view of a "snatch & grabber".

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can' t imagine taking photos with my iPad when I was sightseeing. I really do think it is asking for trouble. I carry a normal SLR digital camera which I much prefer to the "point and shoot" variety and especially to my iPhone because I am not intelligent enough to get the photos from the phone to my computer!! (or maybe something is not set up right in my phone). I like working with the SLR. So - iPad stays in the suite. Indispensable on y journey but not for photos.

I agree with you, but for the same reason that you are taking the photographs, and not "himself" (it's an age thing) most older people seem to prefer the larger screens of an Ipad.

Himself uses an iphone and takes better pictures than I do sometimes. He's the king of capturing those panoramic shots that I didn't think to take (e.g. the top of a favela in Rio, the ENTIRE Vasa ship in Stockholm, etc.). I'm probably keeping him young, but he's pretty tech savvy for a 73 year old guy! :)

Love my Ipad, Iphone and my DSL camera, but the camera takes by FAR the best photos, is easy to carry and is not so attractive to steal for the reasons stated earlier by several people.

A small, easy to use dongle sold by Apple for ~$30 allows you to remove the card from your camera and download your photos directly to your Ipad. It puts the photos directly into your Camera Roll so you can then categorize them as you choose. We used it extensively on our last 24 day cruise and it helped immensely with getting things in order and making sure we had tagged the photos correctly. There are knock-offs available too, but I don't know how well they work. We've been very satisfied with out Apple photo dongle.

I wonder if those who are constantly whipping out their digital devices are aware that according to a recent study taking photos actually decreases our memories of the object being photographed

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/news/releases/no-pictures-please-taking-photos-may-impede-memory-of-museum-tour.html

It's taking photos with any device, including fancy cameras with huge telephoto lenses, not just smartphones and iPads. I've been on several trips where the serious amateurs, loaded with heavy photo equipment, jostle for space at the front to get the perfect photo. Once they have the photo, that's it; they ignore what's in front of them. For example, on a whale watching excursion in Alaska last year, a fellow had a top-of-the-line camera with a huge telephoto lens with which he took a photo of a whale swimming next to the boat. After he took the pic, he completely ignored the whales that were still there, and instead started to show off the photo to nearby pax! The photo becomes more real than the thing that is photographed! Same thing happened on a safari: a fellow spent the entire trip looking at Africa through a fancy camera, trying to get the perfect photo. I don't think he really "saw" anything.

It's taking photos with any device, including fancy cameras with huge telephoto lenses, not just smartphones and iPads. I've been on several trips where the serious amateurs, loaded with heavy photo equipment, jostle for space at the front to get the perfect photo. Once they have the photo, that's it; they ignore what's in front of them. For example, on a whale watching excursion in Alaska last year, a fellow had a top-of-the-line camera with a huge telephoto lens with which he took a photo of a whale swimming next to the boat. After he took the pic, he completely ignored the whales that were still there, and instead started to show off the photo to nearby pax! The photo becomes more real than the thing that is photographed! Same thing happened on a safari: a fellow spent the entire trip looking at Africa through a fancy camera, trying to get the perfect photo. I don't think he really "saw" anything.

Then there are those photographers that push to the front, take their picture and stay there, blocking the view and are oblivious to the fact that the rest of the people want to have their turn. I got my picture - nothing else matters :mad:

Edited by Paulchili

The new mentality of must record everything I do in life and post to the world has caused many people a lot of angst.

I am a professional photographer and while I rarely photograph weddings, I will tell you 100's of my peers who do fight off the army of people who get in the aisle, stand up during the processional and during important parts have ruined many a bride's moments. With our phones and ipads, the memories of any kind of event have become often an unrecognizable under exposed blur.

Recently on a cruise at sunrise sailing into San Francisco, the entitled army of fauxtographers blocking other passengers views of the skyline was mind boggling. The camera generation has become very entitled because they have a cellphone, Ipad or other device and there is a rush to get the first post on social media.

It's come down to reminding people at event that there is a greater purpose sometimes than being that one person to get there first. How said when the Father of the Bride must use his new camera instead of being there to witness the emotion of the day and the spiritual aspect of what a wedding means.

There are many times when I have travelled in the last few years, that I purposely have left my camera on the ship so I can experience the sense of place with my own two eyes rather than on focusing on getting the perfect postcard shot. You can buy a pretty decent postcard at your destination that will remind you that you were there. It was nice when I was shooting with a film camera and a few rolls would sum up a whole vacation's worth of memories rather than 1000 digital files that would never be as perfect as that one film shot taken carefully and with the hopes that the film developer would render it perfect with out the computer.

I completely agree with you. My thinking behind using the word digital was that in the day of film there was an incremental cost of taking each photo. Now each photo really costs nothing so why not take as many as you can. Does one really experience the Mona Lisa if all you did was see it in a viewfinder?

. Does one really experience the Mona Lisa if all you did was see it in a viewfinder?

That is exactly why I stopped taking videos. As videos take much longer than simple shots, or else they are not worth taking, I experienced the world through the viewfinder of the video camera. By the time I completed the take, it was time to move on and I missed the commentary and seeing the sight with my own eyes.

The point and shoot cameras take much less time and are sufficient for me. I'll only take video when I want to capture sound/music and movement - like a cultural performance, etc.

Edited by Paulchili

Ahh, yes, I too miss the days of shooting 35mm and 120 size film. A few rolls for an entire trip instead of thousands of boring photos that no one wants to see. It is the few snaps that mean something that tell the story. That gets printed and mounted in the family album to record the trip. Thousands of digital photos dilute the meaning and rarity of the moment. I don't miss slepping a 4x5 and all the stuff in the huge box though, but that was WORK!

That is exactly why I stopped taking videos. As videos take much longer than simple shots, or else they are not worth taking, I experienced the world through the viewfinder of the video camera. By the time I completed the take, it was time to move on and I missed the commentary and seeing the sight with my own eyes.

The point and shoot cameras take much less time and are sufficient for me. I'll only take video when I want to capture sound/music and movement - like a cultural performance, etc.

You've hit on an important Truth of Life - one that's getting overlooked in this era of phone cameras. As a dutiful Dad, I experienced my first daughter's growing-up through a viewfinder: school plays, sports events, graduations, parties, etc. Ended up with lots of pics no one looks at, and poor memories of the actual events. Was different with second daughter, and I'm not making the same mistakes with our cruise vacations.

What I hate the most with iPads used as a camera, is when one is on a tour bus doing a drive by, and all the windows on the viewing side of the bus are plastered with iPads! One can't see out the bus windows for the monstrosities! :mad: