Ok, now I AM confused about the dress code!

Sorry, this got long. A few weeks ago we were on the Grandeur to Bermuda 7 night cruse. We knew there were 2 formal nights, but we did not want to bring formal wear so we decided that those nights we would eat in the Windjammer. We did bring nicer clothes to eat in Chops.

Ok, so the day of the first formal night I was looking at the cruise compass and it says the suggested dress was formal. THEN, under each specialty restaurant, it had "smart casual attire" in italics. So I told my DH that we should go to Chops on this night because it seemed clear. Obviously others had this same idea, as most (90%, I would say) were dressed this way. DH had on a long sleeve button down and khakis, I had a dressy shirt and slacks. Others had on similar attire.

Then, we were sitting next to two much older couples dressed formally who pretty much threw a nutty about everyone else's dress. They had the manager summoned and asked him why they allowed in people improperly dressed. I couldn't hear his response, but he did say something about "smart casual." But they went ON and ON. When a man wearing a nice golf shirt and khakis was seated on the other side of them, they were complaining so LOUDLY that it was uncomfortable. One of the men said he wouldn't even CONSIDER eating with someone wearing a golf shirt. Anyway, we got the stink eye when we left. So were we not dressed appropriately???

Fast forward to the night before the next formal night. We were in the main dining room and our waiter said something about seeing us the next night. I said that no, we'd be eating in the Windjammer because we didn't bring formal wear. He said, "oh, no one really cares about that. What you're wearing now is completely fine." Uh, I was wearing capris and a cotton blouse and DH was wearing jeans and a button down. Then, when we were leaving, the host said the same thing. I mean, almost to the point of insisting that we come to the main dining room on formal night dressed exactly as we were. He said he was the one doing the seating and it didn't matter one bit. We reluctantly agreed.

Of course, the next day I thought better of it and went to the Windjammer after all. The next night both the waiter and the host admonished us (in a friendly way) about how we should have come ahead.

Anyway, so all of the stuff I've read about how the hosts and waiters are afraid to say something about people not dressed formally for fear of upsetting the guests was, at least in my experience, certainly not the case. They couldn't care less. On a non-formal night, they let in a group of men wearing cargo shorts without even a glance. I had a bird's eye view and it happened to catch my attention because I thought they would have been turned away. It didn't matter to me one way or another.

Anyway, that was my experience.

We have had the same experience. We've had our servers tell us before the formal night that we can come and don't need to dress up. They really don't like you to miss coming to the MDR!

I've never seen anyone turned away from the MDR or any other venue.

I would have been so embarrassed by the other couples' remarks. I'm sorry you felt you needed to leave. Perhaps next time, one of you go could go to the "bathroom" and ask to be reseated, if it's possible. They are very flexible about this.

Edited by kingsgirl

Just got off the Allure a couple of weeks ago and I would say there is no dress code enforced. Saw people in shorts on non formal nights. In fact someone at our table at shorts on. On formal night there were many not dressed formally. A lot had on shirts and slacks and blouses and capris for the women. Doesn't matter to me what anyone wears. I enjoy my cruise if you want to dress up to the hilt or you want to come casually.

You will always run in to cruisers who get huffy if they feel you are not dressed the way THEY feel you should be dressed. From my experience, if you are dressed in clean clothes all will be ok. You will probably get a variety of responses here, buy peraonally, all I want from a tablemate, is a good conversation. I could not give a dang what they are wearing. Much better sitting with a casually dressed person who is a pleasure to converse with than a formally dressed person who just wants to express holier than thou remarks about other cruisers dress.

Edited by retird

Contrary to popular belief RCCL does not have a mandatory dress. It's only a "Suggested Dress Code" and states so on its website thus the reason it's not enforceable. It's not a matter hosts and waiters being afraid to say something about people not dressed formally for fear of upsetting the guests rather as it's that it's "Suggested Dress Code" which cannot be enforced.

Don't let the self appointed fashion police such as recently experienced discourage you from eating in the MDR even on the "Suggested Formal " evening. I never bring formal clothes anymore . Rather only wear black nice pants and top accented with jewelry or a scarf and personally don't care what others think.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Guest maddycat
Sorry, this got long. A few weeks ago we were on the Grandeur to Bermuda 7 night cruse. We knew there were 2 formal nights, but we did not want to bring formal wear so we decided that those nights we would eat in the Windjammer. We did bring nicer clothes to eat in Chops.

Ok, so the day of the first formal night I was looking at the cruise compass and it says the suggested dress was formal. THEN, under each specialty restaurant, it had "smart casual attire" in italics. So I told my DH that we should go to Chops on this night because it seemed clear. Obviously others had this same idea, as most (90%, I would say) were dressed this way. DH had on a long sleeve button down and khakis, I had a dressy shirt and slacks. Others had on similar attire.

Then, we were sitting next to two much older couples dressed formally who pretty much threw a nutty about everyone else's dress. They had the manager summoned and asked him why they allowed in people improperly dressed. I couldn't hear his response, but he did say something about "smart casual." But they went ON and ON. When a man wearing a nice golf shirt and khakis was seated on the other side of them, they were complaining so LOUDLY that it was uncomfortable. One of the men said he wouldn't even CONSIDER eating with someone wearing a golf shirt. Anyway, we got the stink eye when we left. So were we not dressed appropriately???

Fast forward to the night before the next formal night. We were in the main dining room and our waiter said something about seeing us the next night. I said that no, we'd be eating in the Windjammer because we didn't bring formal wear. He said, "oh, no one really cares about that. What you're wearing now is completely fine." Uh, I was wearing capris and a cotton blouse and DH was wearing jeans and a button down. Then, when we were leaving, the host said the same thing. I mean, almost to the point of insisting that we come to the main dining room on formal night dressed exactly as we were. He said he was the one doing the seating and it didn't matter one bit. We reluctantly agreed.

Of course, the next day I thought better of it and went to the Windjammer after all. The next night both the waiter and the host admonished us (in a friendly way) about how we should have come ahead.

Anyway, so all of the stuff I've read about how the hosts and waiters are afraid to say something about people not dressed formally for fear of upsetting the guests was, at least in my experience, certainly not the case. They couldn't care less. On a non-formal night, they let in a group of men wearing cargo shorts without even a glance. I had a bird's eye view and it happened to catch my attention because I thought they would have been turned away. It didn't matter to me one way or another.

You were dressed appropriately. The older couples were wrong and also very rude. I'm sorry that you had to experience this.

Ditto to what Madeline said.

I used to put on my "costume" for every formal night, but now sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. I've been taking much longer cruises and have found them to be much more relaxed with more laid back experienced cruisers.

I'm planning a family cruise in 2016 and for sure our group will be smart casual on formal nights. Otherwise I will have a mutiny from some family members.

Sorry you had such a rude encounter. They were out of line and IMO it was not their business to comment. You were dressed appropriately for the venue.

It's pretty clear that formal nights are on their way out. There's really no way to please everyone, so the best thing is to probably let people wear what they are comfortable with. We like to dress up once in a while, but it's also nice to be comfortable when you want to be. I think smart-casual is fine for evenings, and hope we don't start to see less than that in the main dining room, but who knows?

You were dressed appropriately. It is beyond rude to make loud comments and give dirty looks concerning anyone's dress. Their behavior was much worse than a person wearing shorts or jeans in the mdr or restaurants. Sorry you had to put up with this. I would much rather be seated with nice people wearing shorts and jeans than people like this. I could care less what people wear.

Your waiter was right! You should have gone to the MDR for formal night if you wished. :)

LuLu

On my way out I would have stopped by that table and told them not to worry because they were dressed inappropriately for the smart casual dress code. :D

We saw the full spectrum on Enchantment recently. From dressy capris to gowns on women. And polos and jeans to tuxedos on men. The attire of the table next to me doesn't make my food taste better or worse so I don't understand why people get so waddy about it.

It´s pretty easy while there was a Dress code in th epsat there isn´t one anymore These days.

They still suggest some attire, but it´s just that a Suggestion and anything goes.

I can do with and without formal nights and as Long as they hold formal nights I will attend, though I wished they would enforce it if they have them.

IMO if you have a Dress Suggestion, make it an enforced Dress code, or otherwise skip it alltogether. Why have suggestions that have no means at all?

Has anyone noticed, have there been fewer people eating in the MDR on formal nights? And then the Windjammer is over-crowed? So they're trying to encourage more people to eat in the MDR?

You might be onto something.:)

Sorry you ran into that at Chops, too bad a complete jerk had an impact on everyone else's dining experience. They were wrong, chops is not formal on any night. Nothing worse than an ass who's also ignorant and wrong.........

We've given up on MDR entirely, primarily because we're tired of the routine, food and atmosphere. Thanks for the reminder that another reason was the "dress code" farce:D

Edited by bouhunter

Has anyone noticed, have there been fewer people eating in the MDR on formal nights? And then the Windjammer is over-crowed? So they're trying to encourage more people to eat in the MDR?

Also, keep in mind every single decision any company makes factors in the bottom line. I would suggest it is cheaper to feed people in the MDR than Windjammers. I say this as the cost of personnel is fixed (same number of waiters will be on duty whether they feed one or 5,000 guests that night)--the largest variable cost is food. I think the price of food per person is likely higher at windjammers. Think about it- typically people go up two or three times at windjammer, fill their plates eat a little, get another plate, repeat. Two or three deserts is not uncommon. In the MDR, I would suggest most people have one appetizer, one salad, one entree and one desert-with less food wasted. I would bet it is, on a per person basis, cheaper. Thus they want as many people as possible to eat in MDR thus the easing of any dress codes.

We've never seen anyone turned away on RCCL for dress code at all. I've seen daisy dukes on teenagers in the MDR...all kinds of stuff. I've seen very casual on formal nights too.

Now on my one and only NCL cruise....they turned me away from the MDR for wearing decorative, dressy sandals!!! They said open toe shoes were not allowed and I had to go up and throw on a pair of flats! Now that is strict! Sheesh! It made me paranoid the rest of the week.

I'm 50/50 about the formal nights. My hubby and I always participate and I love seeing everyone in their finest. I always look forward to getting a nice picture with my husband because otherwise...we probably wouldn't have one. Now, if you told me they were getting rid of them...I wouldn't cry either.

I havent seen anyone turned away, just a quiet mention of the attire. You are on vacation, wear what you want , I dont care, I really dont. Im not gonna spend my vacation worrying about what others wear. Dont wanna dress up fine, I DONT CARE, but the staff may. I think it depends on the ship. I saw people in Chops with shorts, and a nice short sleeve collard shirt.